Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was with my 2 Liverpool friends watching it tonight. Same 2 as I watched the O Shea winner at Anfield with.

I went ****ing mental. Love to have been over there. Say it be nuts.

Roll on Northern England and another O Shea winner.

Best thing ever to come out of Waterford

RobertKK wrote: »
    We could have done with John O'Shea at United in the past year...delighted for the former United player.

Would not mind having him still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Was with my 2 Liverpool friends watching it tonight. Same 2 as I watched the O Shea winner at Anfield with.

i dont think ive ever watched a united v liverpool game with my liverpool fan mates, they are just too bitter to enjoy it.

i dont think ive ever watched a united v liverpool game with my liverpool fan mates, they are just too bitter to enjoy it.

Trust me when John O Shea got winner there after United were battered for 90 minutes I enjoyed it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I used to always watch the United v Liverpool games with Liverpool supporting mates. They were grand, nothing like the bawling your eyes out in text form you get on here. There was one time one of them got up and walked home after I explained to him that Rio was going to come up and bury a header when United got a free kick near the edge of the box, I was joking but it happened :pac:

I used to always watch the United v Liverpool games with Liverpool supporting mates. They were grand, nothing like the bawling your eyes out in text form you get on here. There was one time one of them got up and walked home after I explained to him that Rio was going to come up and bury a header when United got a free kick near the edge of the box, I was joking but it happened :pac:

That was same game Liverpool had the "5" banners. Rio was wearing no5 so cue a chant of "How did you know Rio was gonna score" from East Stand

That was same game Liverpool had the "5" banners. Rio was wearing no5 so cue a chant of "How did you know Rio was gonna score" from East Stand

And ever since that fateful day, he wears that number on his hat, the end. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah now, blaas, Jacobs Cream Crackers and Flahavans Progress Oatlets must beat O'Shea!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ah now, blaas, Jacobs Cream Crackers and Flahavans Progress Oatlets must beat O'Shea!

The roads back into Kilkenny are the best things to come out of Waterford, the porridge and John O'Shea too...

• Advertisement

Ancelotti taking care of his job at Real Madrid, he basically said Di Maria was too greedy and they couldn't change their wage structure for one player plus couldn't afford to keep him.
    cough...Ronaldo...cough, persistent cough here, Bale....

Di Maria was said to be on anything from €3 million to €5 million a year. Rodriguez his replacement is reported to be on €7 million a season.

Deluded in Madrid, but at least it benefitted us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I doubt Ancelotti wanted him sold, but it was out of his hands like most things at Madrid in terms of player recruitment. He does just have to tow the party line now though of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

The roads back into Kilkenny are the best things to come out of Waterford, the porridge and John O'Shea too...

Through Kilkenny maybe, but not to it. Kilkenny is a terribly boring place to live. Livens up for 2 nights a week and thats it. Place is a ghost town during the week. Would hate to be back there.

Through Kilkenny maybe, but not to it. Kilkenny is a terribly boring place to live. Livens up for 2 nights a week and thats it. Place is a ghost town during the week. Would hate to be back there.

It was great the night United beat Bayern Munich in 1999, when United did one better than Ireland last night over a German team.
    Gotta to keep United in these posts to stay from being off topic...
    It is a great place to live, lots of United fans...:D

kryogen wrote: »
    I doubt Ancelotti wanted him sold, but it was out of his hands like most things at Madrid in terms of player recruitment. He does just have to tow the party line now though of course.

Yeah, one has to think of their own job and say the right things in public, even if it makes one look stupid.

Ancelotti in one way did United a favour, the comments he made implies United are better payers than Real Madrid are.
    He said Di Maria had to leave to find the money he wanted.

I'd like Anchellotti after LvG, maybe not first choice but defo top 5 atm.

• Advertisement

I'd like Anchellotti after LvG, maybe not first choice but defo top 5 atm.

There's not many if any candidates ahead of Ancelotti if I was in charge of finding the next manager. Apart from his credentials he just doesn't have the bullsh*t, excuses and OTT arrogance that seems to go hand in hand with the best managers these days, seems just like a genuine football man. I can see where his comments about Di Maria are coming from, having to tow the party line so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Another knee injury for Thiago... is it safe to say we dodged a bullet there? (Not that we were ever in for him like).

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11890/9518152/bundesliga-bayern-munich-and-spain-midfielder-thiago-alcantara-facing-another-long-spell-out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Longest IB EVER!

Can't wait to see the team line up next week, wonder will LVG use Carrick now he is fit? also would love the team get their first away victory. The team has won 3 home games in a row and last season had one of the best away records in the league. Sort that out again this year and United will be very strong indeed.

There's not many if any candidates ahead of Ancelotti if I was in charge of finding the next manager. Apart from his credentials he just doesn't have the bullsh*t, excuses and OTT arrogance that seems to go hand in hand with the best managers these days, seems just like a genuine football man. I can see where his comments about Di Maria are coming from, having to tow the party line so to speak.

Ya, not sure who'd be ahead, not going to say that he is stnad out. Loew, Klopp, Conte all very good managers it seems, Maybe simeone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I brought a Liverpool-supporting friend to OT for a United 3-0 win, the game where Mascherano was sent off. Watching him force himself to politely applaud as each goal went in still brings me a fuzzy glow.

• Advertisement

Dont think we will see too many changes against West Brom.

Any defenders back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What's the injury latest on Herrera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ElChe32 wrote: »
    What's the injury latest on Herrera?

He'll be ready for the Chelsea game (26th) according to Physioroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Spoken like a true KK man who works and earns a crust in Waterford but spends every penny in KK and who goes through the cap flap every day for fear of being seen in the Deise...
    Yea right the roads back to KK are the best thing to come out of Waterford....
    KK is the biggest black hole in the country
    Sure have they a man thats ever won a european cup in soccer between em??
    Shay Brennan and John o'shea and Jim beglin all say hello
    men fed on a diet of blaas and red led ;)
    sure ye can't beat that..
    Hon boi....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Herrera is much needed for the Chelsea game as we need to be comfortable in possession in that game. Herrera and Di Maria with Blind protecting the back 4 would be a ideal midfield set up against the likes of Fabregas and Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

After last night's result, I'm kind of looking forward to the next international break... Kind of.

We are gonna beat West Brom and Chelsea. There I said it.

Honestly though if we United win Monday night I reckon we see a very up for it mindset against Chelsea.

A few players back for Chelsea is welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Chelsea are a different beast, Mourinho is always better in his second season

Van Gaal has had 2 and a half months with these players, and a lot of them have only had just over a month with each other

He will set us up to win but if we were to lose after a good performance and more signs of progress it wouldn't be the end of the world

Obviously we should getting 3 points from West Brom before the Chelsea game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

We could have done with John O'Shea at United in the past year...delighted for the former United player.

Getting rid of O'Shea was a big mistake and should never have happened.

In the 06\07 season O Shea had 5 shots on goal and scored 4 goals.

Good going.

• Advertisement

Getting rid of O'Shea was a big mistake and should never have happened.

He wasn't "got rid of" so to speak, he was brought in to the office with Ferguson, he explained to him that the policy with over 30's was in effect and he would only be getting 1 year contracts with possibilities of extending at the end of each season, and obviously he would still be more of a squad player then a nailed on starter in his favored position, or for his years of service to the club they would help him find a club who were willing to offer a longer more secure contract and would not look for anything more then a nominal fee for him.

Sunderland offered him excellent money, first team football in his favored position and 4 years, he was a recently married man with his future to think of and he went for it. Its a short career and with families to think of that kind of security and financial package would be hard to turn down I suppose.

http://www.joe.ie/football/video-gary-neville-brilliantly-analyses-that-ryan-giggs-goal-against-arsenal-in-1999/471919

Gary Neville on Ryan Giggs goal against Arsenal from 99

Sorry if posted already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

http://www.joe.ie/football/video-gary-neville-brilliantly-analyses-that-ryan-giggs-goal-against-arsenal-in-1999/471919

Gary Neville on Ryan Giggs goal against Arsenal from 99

Sorry if posted already.

No need to say sorry man, we're all red devils here after all :)

How's the break treating everyone?

No need to say sorry man, we're all red devils here after all :)

How's the break treating everyone?

From fans point of view its been a bad one, but reckon myself it came at good time and I say in his mind Van Gaal thinks same.

Hopefully few injuries healed and looks like no new ones opened up during international week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

kryogen wrote: »
    He wasn't "got rid of" so to speak, he was brought in to the office with Ferguson, he explained to him that the policy with over 30's was in effect and he would only be getting 1 year contracts with possibilities of extending at the end of each season, and obviously he would still be more of a squad player then a nailed on starter in his favored position, or for his years of service to the club they would help him find a club who were willing to offer a longer more secure contract and would not look for anything more then a nominal fee for him.

Sunderland offered him excellent money, first team football in his favored position and 4 years, he was a recently married man with his future to think of and he went for it. Its a short career and with families to think of that kind of security and financial package would be hard to turn down I suppose.
    I doubt it had anything to do with money to be honest, if John O'Shea wasn't set for life at that point in his career then he's doing something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Don't think anything to do with what Pep apparently said has been mentioned yet

https://twitter.com/UtdReport/status/522506188060372992

Don't think anything to do with what Pep apparently said has been mentioned yet

[n

Any quotes on that dude?

Might get read it in morning in work if can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Any quotes on that dude?

Might get read it in morning in work if can.

Just found this, http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/pep-guardiola-i-could-see-myself-managing-manchester-united-one-day-9797074.html

Seems to be all coming from his book. Few papers are running with it in the morning it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

is it just me or does a lot of the press seem to be ripping on RVP at the moment, he is in a rut that is all, he will come good again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I doubt it had anything to do with money to be honest, if John O'Shea wasn't set for life at that point in his career then he's doing something seriously wrong.

You would think that but some people like spending it as much as they like earning it.

Reading Keane's autobiography really highlighted how obsessed he is with money and that he still has to work.....not because he wants to but because he needs to. He doesn't have millions in the bank like you would assume.

O'Shea seems like a more sensible chap but nothing a footballer says or does would surprise me at this stage.

Considering he had earned millions by the time his United career ended. It would be almost impossible for him not to be set up for life by the time he left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

In the 06\07 season O Shea had 5 shots on goal and scored 4 goals.

Good going.

I always thought he was a perfect 4 for 4 for year and something like 6 shot for 5 goals in all competitions?

Don't try and tell me he's anything but perfect! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Considering he had earned millions by the time his United career ended. It would be almost impossible for him not to be set up for life by the time he left.

I'm assuming you of all people have seen this, though...

510LPZU6VtL_SX500__zps4288a8eb.jpg

If anyone's wondering, it's a documentary on how so many athletes run out of money shortly after they retire and never learn properly how to handle their cash because they make so much at such a young age. More to do with American sports but a lot is true for athletes here too - ESPN doc but the whole thing is on YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSOAwNSv8EM

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you of all people have seen this

Saw it awhile back. Maybe it's just me, but John O'Shea has always struck me as a pretty grounded & level headed lad. Whom I suspect is not prone to píssing away his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Saw it awhile back. Maybe it's just me, but John O'Shea has always struck me as a pretty grounded & level headed lad. Whom I suspect is not prone to píssing away his money.

Yeah saw an article on wes browns wife when she wrote on twitter about saving money by getting tokens off a product for some theme park.

What annoyed me was they were trying to make her out to be a cheapskate " he earns 30000 a week yet she is being cheap with their money"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you of all people have seen this, though...

510LPZU6VtL_SX500__zps4288a8eb.jpg

If anyone's wondering, it's a documentary on how so many athletes run out of money shortly after they retire and never learn properly how to handle their cash because they make so much at such a young age. More to do with American sports but a lot is true for athletes here too - ESPN doc but the whole thing is on YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSOAwNSv8EM

There is a great story on Shaquille O'Neill.
    In his first couple of years in the NBA he was spending money like noones business.
    Someone had a chat in his ear and he went to college and studied business or something like that.
    I will try dig up the story and post it here.

We have to remember that most athletes come from pretty much nothing and if you are earning millions you are inevitably gonna spend millions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not really sure where to ask this and here seems as good a place as any.

Does anyone know where I'd get a ticket for Roy Keane and Roddy Doyle next Wednesday in the RDS? Ticketmaster says it's sold out. I've only realised I'll be in Dublin at the time and would love to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Hococop wrote: »
    Yeah saw an article on wes browns wife when she wrote on twitter about saving money by getting tokens off a product for some theme park.

What annoyed me was they were trying to make her out to be a cheapskate " he earns 30000 a week yet she is being cheap with their money"

Ridiculous. She's dead right.

Point one is that the guts of 50% of what they make it gone in tax.

Point two is that we're talking about athletes with decent longeivity. Potentially the money has to last them up to 70 years.

Point three is that these guys were probably hugely affected by the financial crisis. No doubt they were massively exposed to the types of assets that collapsed in value.

Point four is definitely true - The more you earn, the more you spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Kirby wrote: »
    You would think that but some people like spending it as much as they like earning it.

Reading Keane's autobiography really highlighted how obsessed he is with money and that he still has to work.....not because he wants to but because he needs to. He doesn't have millions in the bank like you would assume.

Having read the book myself I don't know how you came to the conclusion he's obsessed with money.
    He came to the realisation that the days of big paydays were over and he still needed to provide for his family.
    He left Fergusons office after been told he was being let go without finalising any payoff from the club and while at Sunderland he had to double check his contract to see what the promotion bonus was.
    It's well known he's fairly generous to local charities in Cork and Manchester and seems to look after his extended family as well.
    Hardly money obsessed

I don't want to go back and forth on it, that is how it happened as I was told, from the horses mouth. I don't mind if someone wants to think something else.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement