Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thought Evans did ok when he came on in pretty difficult circumstances for his first game back. Someone actually capable of keeping a cool head amongst the madness that seemed to envelop most players. Made one or two timely tackles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thought Evans was very good, bit rusty on ball but that's to be expected.

Encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Having two CMs who are known to crumble against a good pressing opposition was another mistake from Van Gaal, Herrera should have started ahead of one of the CBs.

I'd prefer if we avoided 3 at the back from now on, it has brought us nothing but trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Would have been happy with a draw but delighted with the win. Always nice to win when not playing in top gear. Good to see RVP score again and hopefully he can get back into the goal scoring groove for the rest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Wow people putting Young down again tonight? Jesus.

One of our better players tonight, what games do people be watching.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wow people putting Young down again tonight? Jesus.

One of our better players tonight, what games do people be watching.

Thought he was grand going forward, but very poor defensively.

Moment that stands out is the free header Long got at the backpost which forced a good save from De Gea. Young, not marking his man, was sauntering into the box as Long took his shot. Had that gone in, had De Gea not saved it, then we'd really have been talking about how Young completly gave up on his defensive duties and let them score...

I'd prefer if we avoided 3 at the back from now on, it has brought us nothing but trouble

Ya not fan of 3 at back. We look way too dodgey when we play it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Thought he was grand going forward, but very poor defensively.

Moment that stands out is the free header Long got at the backpost which forced a good save from De Gea. Young, not marking his man, was sauntering into the box as Long took his shot. Had that gone in, had De Gea not saved it, then we'd really have been talking about how Young completly gave up on his defensive duties and let them score...

That was one moment in a game where he was largely actually very good in defense. Some good tracking back saved us on a few occasions. Confident taking the ball out of defence too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He got better as the second half went on. He was horrific up to that point. Gave the ball away and went long on a few too many occasions and didn't cover the back post very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Whole back 5 was poor tonight imo, Evans and Rojo always looked on the cusp of a huge mistake, Young was found wanting tracking back on more than one occasion.

RVP was the major positive, barely put a foot wrong. Very encouraging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

United feel like a classic example of a team with just enough quality players that they'll win a lot but the performances are poor.

I think LVG got it dead wrong tonight with the 352, especially with Southampton setting up a narrow 433. The whole point of the 352 is to give you an extra man against 1 or 2 strikers, not to be evenly matched by the opposition attack.

Changing out McNair made a huge difference, but the necessity for such a formation comes from our lack of available defenders, especially fullbacks. Left and right back recruits are much needed in the summer at the latest.

As for the individual players, Fellaini was awful, Mata was poor, Valencia was Valencia, Rooney and Carrick looked a bit off the pace and the defence was a shambles at times. The only two who came out of it looking good were RVP and Herrera.

All that being said, 5 points beyond Arsenal, 7 beyond Spurs and Pool and 10 beyond Everton. Top 4 is starting to take shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So we've beaten West Ham, Southampton and Arsenal. The other teams fighting for 3rd/4th at the moment. Big game coming up against Newcastle too who aren't far off either!

Liverpool, Villa and Spurs won't be easy work either. Big few weeks ahead.

Thought RVP was United's best player.(even bar goals)

Work rate was very good. Found man when got ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Young, RVP and De Gea were decent tonight. Herrera okay when he came on. Carrick wasn't too bad. Evans did okay. Hopefully Smalling isn't out for too long.

Rojo, McNair and Mata were v poor in my opinion. Mata did absolutely shag all.

Rooney never got going.

Fellaini and Valencia were a bit meh, borderline poor also.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So we've beaten West Ham, Southampton and Arsenal. The other teams fighting for 3rd/4th at the moment. Big game coming up against Newcastle too who aren't far off either!

Liverpool, Villa and Spurs won't be easy work either. Big few weeks ahead.

If you handed me 12 points from those games I'd snap your hand off, even if we lost to Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sky Go is great. I've missed many big goals in the past. This time I enjoyed the winning goal whilst washing my hands in the toilet after a going for a piss. Unhygienic, I know, but I don't care.

Wash them in the sink ffs

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Thought RVP was United's best player.(even bar goals)

Work rate was very good. Found man when got ball too.

He was excellent. His work rate was the best on the pitch, and he held up the ball excellently in the second half.

I would like to see his pass completions, I would hazard a guess that it was: >20.

Can't ask for a better performance from him, away from home and against a tough opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

For me, more and more, Mata is someone I want on the pitch against a team trying to park the bus not in a game where we are struggling for possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

7PjvVlc.jpg

I missed the game because of work, just noticed that RVP nut-megged the keeper for both goals, amazing!

Also, apparently this is the first time this has happened (the highest we've been) since back when we won number 20 and S.A.F. retired...

1IZfKS0.jpg

Already it feels good to not be looking up the table at a bunch of teams between us and the top, just like it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If LVG goes with 3-5-2 v Liverpool on Sunday I will tear my hair out. Thus far it has been an utterly disastrous formation for us. Our two wins with it were very lucky. The team is just not comfortable with it, almost all of the players to a man look like a fish out of water in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Blatter wrote: »
    If LVG goes with 3-5-2 v Liverpool on Sunday I will tear my hair out. Thus far it has been an utterly disastrous formation for us. Our two wins with it were very lucky. The team is just not comfortable with it, almost all of the players to a man look like a fish out of water in it.

If Rafael and Shaw are back, we'll go back to a back four, i'm sure of it. Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If Rafael and Shaw are back, we'll go back to a back four, i'm sure of it. Maybe.

Even if they're not, we should still go back to the back 4. The 3-5-2 is shocking with this team. Absolutely toothless in attack with it and constantly inviting pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Since the QPR game (counting from here as our new signings played in this game)

Played: 12
    Won 8
    Lost: 2
    Draw: 2

Goals scored: 24
    Goals conceded: 12

Results are improving, hopefully out injury record improves as we need all our players back fit for busy Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

edgecutter wrote: »
    Just remember the fixture list we had after WBA and all the pool fans saying they would pull away from us :D

Tbh they did :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Performances need to improve, a lot, quickly. We won't continue to get away with this as we have done vs Southampton and Arsenal especially.

Desperately missing full backs, fit defenders and Di Maria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Performances need to improve, a lot, quickly. We won't continue to get away with this as we have done vs Southampton and Arsenal especially.

Desperately missing full backs, fit defenders and Di Maria.

Not to talk of how poor and laboured midfield has been - last night in particular, utterly shocking. How long is it going to take for people to get whatever blinkers off and realise that feillaini and Mata are not central midfielders. Feillaini will "put himself about", but he slows the game down and he creates nothing and his work rate is also questionable - its no coincidence we are struggling to create chances. He can be effective up front holding the ball up behind a striker, but he's not a midfielder yet there are plenty on this forum who cant see that.
    I think things will improve when Di Maria, Jones and Shaw come back in. Though we are woefully short for cover on the right flank right now - Toni got plenty of chances to take on players last night and refused every time bar once I think. A new pacy right winger is a must ay some point soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I think the 3 5 2 works when we know the team are gonna attack us like arsenal. It does have it's merits, just not when you have youth teamers playing in a massive away match.

But we need di Maria playing so we can counter. I thought the system worked at arsenal but the players were nervous last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

kstand wrote:
    Not to talk of how poor and laboured midfield has been - last night in particular, utterly shocking. How long is it going to take for people to get whatever blinkers off and realise that feillaini and Mata are not central midfielders. Feillaini will "put himself about", but he slows the game down and he creates nothing and his work rate is also questionable - its no coincidence we are struggling to create chances. He can be effective up front holding the ball up behind a striker, but he's not a midfielder yet there are plenty on this forum who cant see that.

I think he just had a sh!te game last night nothing more nothing less.

I think the system is the blame for poor performances last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ronald Koeman said for great words last night for the people who are faulting our performance, it wasn't pretty but as LVG said before he wants us playing the entire 90 minutes, not 60. Anyway, Koeman basically said "yes Manchester may have made more mistakes tonight, but so did we - we didn't take advantage of them mistakes, where the (Man Utd) players did and this is why they won. We didn't loose to Manchester United, we lost ourselves".

Good honest answer, it wasn't pretty for us but as a Southampton fan - it wasn't pretty either. FIFA stats, lots of shows but never tested us.

beno619 wrote: »

Feillaini "puts himself about" as someone else posted and it looks like he's doing his job but he slows the game down something chronic, cant play a killer pass and is not creative in the slightest - its no coincidence we are struggling to create chances with him in the midfield.
    LVG has got very lucky in recent weeks - I always felt it would end in tears with him, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now as we have so many injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Like Neville said, this United squad have plenty of free time these days to work on that system, it shouldn't be used as an excuse for the pathetic performance in midfield and attack. The defense gets a pass because of the constant disruption but the likes of Mata, Felliani and Rooney have no excuses, they were just utterly rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think basically most the team played terribly. Made poor decisions, poor passes and poor control - I don't think the system was the reason for all those mistakes. I think too much is made of the system.

As for Fellaini - I have been caustious in my praise of him as I didn't think he was doing everything we need of a CM. He was putting himself about and getting into the box late, well, but I felt his passing was letting himself and us down. However, I'm also not going to hammer him for last night either. He was terrible, imo. Possibly the worst out there in the first half - but I'm not going to write him off again because of it. Same as yourself, I think he just had a very bad game last night. He can, and will do better.

Such a bad performance last night. Could have taken Mata off in the first half for all the good he was doing. Not entirely his fault as our overall use of possession was terrible but good lord, it was shocking last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What's peoples opinions tonight do we want a Liverpool win or them not to qualify. It doesn't bother me either way i wouldn't mind them going through i want out rivals to have as many tough games as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What's peoples opinions tonight do we want a Liverpool win or them not to qualify. It doesn't bother me either way i wouldn't mind them going through i want out rivals to have as many tough games as possible.

Europa would be a good result keeps them with extra games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hococop wrote: »

This is the ideal scenario.

While i can agree Fellaini is not a defence split type passer he was without a doubt put an end to the myth he is a poor passer.

Beside last night he showed the last few games that he is very capable of playing quick and accurate passing.

What Fellaini offers is a genuine threat we have missed for years when we get a set piece.
    He also offers steel in the middle we have missed for years we are not getting walked through.

You don't need every cm to be creative if your playing 3 in the centre. Most teams need a good hacker in midfield and that's what Fellaini is. But the performance last night was awful from him;

Hococop wrote: »

To be honest if i was Liverpool fan with the way the league started i would be happy enough going into the Europa. Top 4 looks a way off and the Europa now offers a Champions league place. It would probably be more ideal for us they should have more game just the thought of listening to them if they won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Mata is just not delivering..37m is looking like way too much money and dont let the stats fool you not the same player as teh one at Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

To be honest if i was Liverpool fan with the way the league started i would be happy enough going into the Europa. Top 4 looks a way off and the Europa now offers a Champions league place. It would probably be more ideal for us they should have more game just the thought of listening to them if they won it.

this is what i would want if i was a Liverpool fan shudder. it seems like it could be a better way to get back in think Everton and Spurs should be doing this as well which would benefit us as i dont think its a coincidence teams play crap after Euorpa league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

To be fair, you're right.

I know it annoyed the hell out of me last year when Moyes kept saying "luck", but we've definitely been luckier this past while than last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

With third place now in the bag, which midtable club do we want to see finish behind us in fourth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

have to say last night was one of the worst united performances I've seen in years. shocking bad. fellaini in my eyes, will never be a united player. Awful last night. the pass that lead to the Southampton goal you wouldn't see it on a sunday morning pub league match.

Smalling will be a huge loss, looked liked he was starting to come into form and judging by last night he tore his groin and will be out for 4-6 weeks.

Rojo looks like a disaster waiting to happen or maybe he just needs a settled back 4 around him wont be too hard on him but he needs to step up his game.

Mata.....Mata, well he is very likeable but I don't think its ever going to work out at united for him. He is not a united player, too slow and cannot play on the wing. We already have rooney for the no10 role. if Valencia or Athletico came in with a 25-30m bid I would sell him.

Best thing about last night was the 3 points, forget about the performance and move onto sundays massive game where we can end liverpools bid for a top 4 position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great result but another woeful performance. Probably our worst performance of the season except for the Leicester and mk dons game.

3 at the back hasn't worked, didn't work last night and probably won't work in the future. That needs to be scrapped before it starts costing us points.

Mata: this guy should not be on the field unless we are guaranteed to have at least 60% possession.

Smalling injured again.... Played well while he was on but the lad is made from glass, patience is surely wearing thin with him. Seems to be a never ending story, not just with him but also with Jones, Evans and Rafael.

RVP was fantastic, won every duel, looked sharp and 2 crucial goals. Possibly his best performance for 2 seasons.
    Carrick also played well, brings a composure which we don't have without.

If we can beat Liverpool Sunday it will have been a great week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its absolutely excellent to be in 3rd after the horrific start to the season and the injury lists we have had. the injuries have stopped us having any momentum though of course 5 wins in a row dispels that.

the performances are horrific though, standard of football awful but you know what, we will take it until the team settles down. this 3 at the back stuff has to stop though, it doesnt do us any favours at all.

our away support was sensational last night, we have the best fans in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Liverpool were never going to be our rivals this year with the quality we brought in/left go compared to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Just had a wee gawk into the scouse forum...suggestions like "Shane Long could do a job for us" "Robbie Keane" "Defoe" "John Walters"...jaysus panic is setting in big time there. Need to stuff them on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

While Van Persie did work hard, last night showed again why we struggle creatively. We simply cannot play through the middle.

We persist with Rooney and Van Persie up front and they both do the exact same thing when the ball is played into them. When the ball hits their feet with their back to goal, they immediately play the ball out to either the left or right wing. No intricate one-twos with a midfielder or each other, no lay off to an oncoming player, every time it goes out wide. Just watch any game, you will see the same move over and over. Ball gets worked forward to Van Persie, he immediately sweeps it wide. Ball goes to Rooney, he immediately goes wide.

The problem is of course that this means the ball is always ending up with the creative black holes that are Young and Valencia, and so the ball either gets kicked away or passed back to where we started. No doubt this is all a legacy of years of wing play at Manchester United but by god it has become easy to defend against.

United simply cannot play through the middle. Its why I don't like Rooney as a number 10 and its why I am so disappointed with Mata, they are the reason we don't see any creative runs, passes, dribbles or vision in that middle third. The only person to actually get the ball and run through the middle last night was Evans, a central defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

How the "mighty" have fallen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Just had a wee gawk into the scouse forum...suggestions like "Shane Long could do a job for us" "Robbie Keane" "Defoe" "John Walters"...jaysus panic is setting in big time there. Need to stuff them on Sunday!

thats called "The Ricky Lambert effect".

their new signings last summer, have been by and large, absolutely shambolic. all they needed to do was sign one top class striker, and 2 or 3 other top class players, but they somehow mananged to actually weaken their squad by buying absolute tripe.

beating them is a must this Sunday.

• Advertisement

While Van Persie did work hard, last night showed again why we struggle creatively. We simply cannot play through the middle.

We persist with Rooney and Van Persie up front and they both do the exact same thing when the ball is played into them. When the ball hits their feet with their back to goal, they immediately play the ball out to either the left or right wing. No intricate one-twos with a midfielder or each other, no lay off to an oncoming player, every time it goes out wide. Just watch any game, you will see the same move over and over. Ball gets worked forward to Van Persie, he immediately sweeps it wide. Ball goes to Rooney, he immediately goes wide.

The problem is of course that this means the ball is always ending up with the creative black holes that are Young and Valencia, and so the ball either gets kicked away or passed back to where we started. No doubt this is all a legacy of years of wing play at Manchester United but by god it has become easy to defend against.

United simply cannot play through the middle. Its why I don't like Rooney as a number 10 and its why I am so disappointed with Mata, they are the reason we don't see any creative runs, passes, dribbles or vision in that middle third. The only person to actually get the ball and run through the middle last night was Evans, a central defender.

The funny thing is that if he had been able to play Feillaini up where Rooney was and Rooney in front of a midfield trio with Herrara and Carrick, we would have had lots more joy and an outlet to knock balls up to in Feillaini.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement