Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

kstand wrote: »
    The funny thing is that if he had been able to play Feillaini up where Rooney was and Rooney in front of a midfield trio with Herrara and Carrick, we would have had lots more joy and an outlet to knock balls up to in Feillaini.

Fellaini was played deeper as Pelle won every single aerial duel and it was so easy for them. So Carrick was moved to McNair position, Herrera in the midfield and Fellaini as DM to contest the aerial balls. Not sure that worked tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The funny thing is that if he had been able to play Feillaini up where Rooney was and Rooney in front of a midfield trio with Herrara and Carrick, we would have had lots more joy and an outlet to knock balls up to in Feillaini.

Knocking balls up to Fellaini is Moyes, Pulis and hoof-ball speak.

I hope we never go down that route. And in saying that, for the height of him, Fellaini is very poor in the air and can be dominated alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Fellaini was played deeper as Pelle won every single aerial duel and it was so easy for them. So Carrick was moved to McNair position, Herrera in the midfield and Fellaini as DM to contest the aerial balls. Not sure that worked tough.

I thought Carrick was dropped back so we could stay with a 3 man central defense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

I really hope we never have to resort knocking balls up to Feillaini.

He was poor last night. For where we all want the club to be players like him should be squad players, at best!

Knocking balls up to Fellaini is Moyes, Pulis and hoof-ball speak.

I hope we never go down that route. And in saying that, for the height of him, Fellaini is very poor in the air and can be dominated alot.

Yeah - not pretty - but when you haven't got horses you plough with asses.
    Feillaini isn't related to a central midfielder but he can hold the ball up and be a nuisance so it would have ben an option to play him further up field. As it was, we were knocking long balls up anyway and getting cleaned out and unable to hold the ball up and bring players into the game coming from midfield. Rooney cut a very frustrated figure for a finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Rooney's worst game of the season last night, Mata's too.

Danye wrote: »
    I really hope we never have to resort knocking balls up to Feillaini.

He was poor last night. For where we all want the club to be players like him should be squad players, at best!

In last nights game, we were knocking the ball long anyway we were that poor. So having him up there to hold the ball up would have given us an outlet at least. Right now the tactics aren't working and we have injuries.
    I would sincerely hope that Woodward was bluffing recently when he said no signings in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RasTa wrote: »

Mata has been poor enough in alot of games. scoring a few goals has hidden alot of poor performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RasTa wrote: »

Rooney was a bit off, marked out of it and fouled a few times. Frustrating night for him. At least he assisted for the goal and ran his heart out (almost)

Mata, well, lets just say as sexy as the man is I don't want him near the first team especially in an away game. Rubbish last night, worst I've ever seen him - for United and Chelsea. He's had more bad games than good imo, very slow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I thought Carrick was dropped back so we could stay with a 3 man central defense?

Yeah IMO that's why McNair was subbed off. McNair was having poor night, Pelle was winning all the headers so to maintain 3 man defense Carrick was dropped to CB and Fellaini to DM to win aerial battle.

• Advertisement

Are there any right wingers out there we have been linked with does anyone know?
    There had been a link with Xhedran Shaquiri but he's left footed and it would make little sense going for him with Di Maria in the squad. Same goes for Depay, plus the jury is out on him. How about Yannick Bolasie? Been very impressed by what I have seen of him in recent weeks, looks very powerful and quick, would be available and the price would be right I think.

Mata has been poor enough in alot of games. scoring a few goals has hidden alot of poor performances.

I would say the same about Rooney as well, apart from 1 or 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

The run of wins is great but if the performance v Liverpool is half as bad as last night or the first half v Arsenal we won't win the game.

You just know that Liverpool will be up for it and will play quicker, slicker football than they have to date, they always raise a few levels v United. We've struggled with that intensity in the past. It's also Sod's law that they will get a positive result somehow tonight and that will be a boost for a Sunday. If they don't, then they will have nothing to lose Sunday anyway so it's up to Utd to set the tempo early in the game.

For me it will be a good indicator of the reinvigorated character and spirit under LVG we are constantly being told about. In the past 2 seasons Utd have rolled over in most of the big games v City and Liverpool. You would hope there will be a big performance Sunday to show the fans they genuinely have a sense of what these games mean to Utd supporters.

I hope, with the injuries we have, LVG doesn't set out to contain the game for a draw and hope to nick a goal. That strategy simply does not work for Utd teams. Although maybe a draw would not be the worst result in isolation, the reality is that our slow start to the season means we need to win these games rather than not lose them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thought this was interesting, we were one point behind them with below fixtures to come. Their 7 also listed
    Chelsea (H)
    City (A)
    Palace (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Hull (H)
    Stoke (H)
    Southampton (A)

Liverpool
    Hull (H)
    Newcastle (A)
    Chelsea (H)
    Palace (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Leicester (A)
    Sunderland (H)

Somehow we are 7 ahead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We played Liverpool last season and we expected a hiding and they delivered, this year it's the opposite and beating them would be massive putting 10 points daylight between us.

I think to a point you have to take the injuries into account when conidering where we are. It's not pretty but Van Gaal seems to have brought a unity and will to win we haven;t seen in awhile. Once we get rid of injuries and move to 4 at the back i can see football improving and us pushing for the top 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats not really addressing the problem though. Hoofing long balls to Fellaini isn't exactly what I mean by being creative in central positions.

Thats not really addressing the problem though. Hoofing long balls to Fellaini isn't exactly what I mean by being creative in central positions.

No but it would have been a better option last night for us. One thing I found extremely frustrating was that the central mid players repeatedly didn't show for the ball from our defenders - meaning we lumped the ball long anyway. It was completely shapeless and clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Mata is never going to play well with Rooney and RVP in front of him. None of them have any pace and he won't have runners stretching the defence for him. In his best season at Chelsea he had Drogba, Hazard, Oscar, Lampard etc in a 433 making runs into the box playing dynamic football.

The issue here, however, is that it's utterly pointless having a player that looks so poor unless certain conditions are met within the team. He is not good enough to build the team around, so I can see him heading home in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Anyone know if there are any reserve games scheduled this week, would be an opportunity to game some games time to guys coming back from injury rafa, falcao etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In fairness to Mata he completed almost every pass he made last night, away to a good pressing and possession team isn't when you expect Mata to dictate a game

I think he will continue to struggle until our play becomes more fluid

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    We played Liverpool last season and we expected a hiding and they delivered, this year it's the opposite and beating them would be massive putting 10 points daylight between us.

I think to a point you have to take the injuries into account when conidering where we are. It's not pretty but Van Gaal seems to have brought a unity and will to win we haven;t seen in awhile. Once we get rid of injuries and move to 4 at the back i can see football improving and us pushing for the top 2.

If we keep this run going into the New Year, get players back fit and start to fully understand and embrace LVG's methods and tactics I can genuinely see us possibly winning the league.

Remember Arsenal in the '97/'98 season I think, after Christmas? Yeah well that's going to be us this season! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Mata is never going to play well with Rooney and RVP in front of him. None of them have any pace and he won't have runners stretching the defence for him. In his best season at Chelsea he had Drogba, Hazard, Oscar, Lampard etc in a 433 making runs into the box playing dynamic football.

The issue here, however, is that it's utterly pointless having a player that looks so poor unless certain conditions are met within the team. He is not good enough to build the team around, so I can see him heading home in a year or two.

Drogba left before Hazard & Oscar signed for Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Just had a wee gawk into the scouse forum...suggestions like "Shane Long could do a job for us" "Robbie Keane" "Defoe" "John Walters"...jaysus panic is setting in big time there. Need to stuff them on Sunday!

Irish players getting overrated on boards, well I never!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Very happy with the 3 points. Not very happy about anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    For me it will be a good indicator of the reinvigorated character and spirit under LVG we are constantly being told about. In the past 2 seasons Utd have rolled over in most of the big games v City and Liverpool. You would hope there will be a big performance Sunday to show the fans they genuinely have a sense of what these games mean to Utd supporters.
    Actually two seasons ago we got six points from Liverpool and three from City. Someone said something earlier about the "Rickie Lambert effect" at Liverpool, last year we had something similar in the David Moyes effect. Thankfully LVG seems to be getting that back on track, can't wait for the Liverpool match!

Barely saw any of last night's game because I was in London, and it I'd AMAZINGLY hard to find anywhere showing the match in the financial/London Bridge area there. Sounds like I didn't miss all too much.

Very happy with the 3 points. Not very happy about anything else.

eh...

23E40E3900000578-0-image-m-64_1418074844983.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Danye wrote: »
    I would say the same about Rooney as well, apart from 1 or 2 games.

Rooney busts a gut and actively tires to get involved even if his isn't having a blinder.

Mata looked happy to remain hidden last night especially during the first half. Rooney will often be the fastest player on the pitch who covers most ground. Mata doesn't have that pace and his work rate isn't exactly amazing.

Its a shame because I had high hopes for him but he's been poor for a long time now and his goals and assists have been making up for it.

The excuses have to stop. Rooney and RVP ahead of him means nothing in terms of him playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Are there any right wingers out there we have been linked with does anyone know?
    There had been a link with Xhedran Shaquiri but he's left footed and it would make little sense going for him with Di Maria in the squad. Same goes for Depay, plus the jury is out on him. How about Yannick Bolasie? Been very impressed by what I have seen of him in recent weeks, looks very powerful and quick, would be available and the price would be right I think.
    Very good player but end product not quite good enough for a team looking to move back up teh table along with City and Chelsea. Maybe bring Nani back, he has played well for sporing in the Champions league.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Very good player but end product not quite good enough for a team looking to move back up teh table along with City and Chelsea. Maybe bring Nani back, he has played well for sporing in the Champions league.

He's left footed as well though. We have been crying out for a right winger now for coming on 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

He's left footed as well though. We have been crying out for a right winger now for coming on 3 years.
    Bolasie is right footed im sure. Depay would seem a better option in terms of end product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Performances have have been poor in general. Still though, last night was the type of game we wouldnt have won under Moyes in 100 years. I nearly think this half of the season should have an asterisk beside it - one of the unluckiest runs with injuries in living history. I think any feeling that our league position is lucky (performances havent warranted it) should be offset by that. If we can get most back fit and have proper competition for places between inform players, we can properly kick on and get momentum through performances rather than results

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Still though, last night was the type of game we wouldnt have won under Moyes in 100 years.

That suggests we did something different from last year that got us the win. We didn't, last night was very much a Moyes performance, the only difference is we got handed a goal out of nothing. Pure luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I wouldn't mind Robben coming in but he would only be a short-term fix. Lets face it he only has one or two seasons left in him before he slows down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Said it before - the big difference this season is there is a spirit about the team again now. Whatever about the performances, the players do seem to believe in LVG, and are working for him.

Again, performances aside, you can't question the effort of the players - which you could last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Said it before - the big difference this season is there is a spirit about the team again now. Whatever about the performances, the players do seem to believe in LVG, and are working for him.

Again, performances aside, you can't question the effort of the players - which you could last season.

Van Persie's effort last night was fantastic, as was Rooney's despite having a poor game.

Only effort I would criticise would be Mata

wadacrack wrote: »
    Bolasie is right footed im sure. Depay would seem a better option in terms of end product

No - I was referring to Nani.
    Bolasie is right footed and Depay left footed - jury out on Depay for me.

zerks wrote: »

"last"

Living in the past again, even when they're trying to stir it! Interwebular silly bantz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

That suggests we did something different from last year that got us the win. We didn't, last night was very much a Moyes performance, the only difference is we got handed a goal out of nothing. Pure luck.

Extra effort and concentration from the side in general, especially defensively. Southampton didnt create much despite their dominance. Players like Young, Valencia and Fellaini, while they weren't great last night, are still light years ahead of where they were last year when they looked completely devoid of confidence. I can't think of a game all of last year, bar possibly Arsenal, where we were outplayed yet still eeked out a result. We've already had it a few times this season. Maybe it's just coincidence over a small sample size. I dont think so though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

No - I was referring to Nani.
    Bolasie is right footed and Depay left footed - jury out on Depay for me.

Nani is Right footed...

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Nani is Right footed...

Nani is footed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Trilla wrote: »
    "last"

Living in the past again, even when they're trying to stir it! Interwebular silly bantz!

He forgot that it's been the other way around for the last quarter of a century,silly Carragher of all people should know about history;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

He has feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Should be beating the 9th best team in the premiership this season

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Extra effort and concentration from the side in general, especially defensively. Southampton didnt create much despite their dominance. Players like Young, Valencia and Fellaini, while they weren't great last night, are still light years ahead of where they were last year when they looked completely devoid of confidence. I can't think of a game all of last year, bar possibly Arsenal, where we were outplayed yet still eeked out a result. We've already had it a few times this season. Maybe it's just coincidence over a small sample size. I dont think so though

Are we still talking about last night? Because Felliani was every bit as bad last night as he ever was last season.

We didn't even eke out a result last night, again that suggests that the players did something that contributed to the win. They didn't, they were awful and we were just given the points on a plate. I'll take it, but I hope there are serious questions being asked in training today.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    He has feet

and all toes

get him back in Jan? :p
    He forgot that it's been the other way around for the last quarter of a century,silly Carragher of all people should know about history;)

Now we're living in the past Zerks, don't fall down to their levels ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Trilla wrote: »
    "last"

Its funny as well the way its one or the other. I'd say lose lose for them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I'm a Nani naysayer the last few seasons, but if he really is doing the business in Portugal I wouldn't be adverse to having him back, though Anderson looking like the best player in the world up against some of those teams, the players are given far too much time on the ball. Back in the premiership Nani'll get the same hard contact and close marking he always did, and that's what'll lead to his poor decision making cropping up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This week has potential of being very satisfying

The titanic is sinking, built circa December 2013

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement