Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Are we still talking about last night? Because Felliani was every bit as bad last night as he ever was last season.

We didn't even eke out a result last night, again that suggests that the players did something that contributed to the win. They didn't, they were awful and we were just given the points on a plate. I'll take it, but I hope there are serious questions being asked in training today.

The players did plenty to contribute to the win. Limited Southampton to very little in the second half, while VP stuck away the opportunities he got. Without the gifted first goal, we'd have still gotten a result last night, just not 3 points. I think people are a little too down on the performance, as putrid as it was. This was one of the leagues better sides, on their home patch which incidentally has been the toughest away ground in the league since they got promoted. Arguably the best team in the league, Man City, were only given a 38% chance of winning by the statisticians and oddsmakers at kick off of their game there. So even they weren't expected to go to Southampton and dominate, and we certainly weren't. The performance was around equal to our performance away to Arsenal, and yet the reaction to the Arsenal game was a lot more positive. Yet i'd argue last nights game was a tougher place to get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Someone mentioned it here earlier but have to agree that we can't keep playing 3 at the back if we're to improve. Our worst performances this season (especially defensively) have come with the 3-4-1-2 formation being deployed because none of the players in the backline are used to it bar maybe Rojo.

The formation is supposed to offer players more options on the ball but if anything it limits them because players are unsure of their positioning. All that pressure we were under in the first half was because Southampton pressed our defenders who had no options open in front of them and they had to launch it or get caught in possession. McNair had a disastrous half hour or so but I've some sympathy for him when he looks up and there is no one available at all. What was more weird about the setup was Fellaini was kind of playing RM for the first half hour so we effectively had Carrick at CM and no one giving Young any help out left.

Hopefully we go back to the 4-3-1-2 lineup on Sunday against Liverpool. Great to see RVP working his balls off and working his way back into some form. Aside from him and Dave there wasn't anyone else that played that well at all but at least they're working hard this season as Mitch said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I have seen Palace a few times and if Bolassei or however you spell it could be got cheap he would be a nice rotation option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I don't rate Bolasie myself. He's all gung ho run like the clappers and whack a shot but i don't see any guile or intelligence there.
    Type of player would run full tilt head first into the post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I have seen Palace a few times and if Bolassei or however you spell it could be got cheap he would be a nice rotation option.

What about that Zaha lad they have, is he any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What about that Zaha lad they have, is he any use?

Well he's no Ashley young but he'd be a great back up option. Lightning speed. Reckon we could get him for around the 15 million mark.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

This week has potential of being very satisfying

The titanic is sinking, built circa December 2013
    jesus thats embarrassing from carragher.. who lets footballers loose on twitter.. they do themselves no favours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This week has potential of being very satisfying

The titanic is sinking, built circa December 2013

Beat Southampton last night,now to beat their B-Team on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

mewe wrote: »
    I don't rate Bolasie myself. He's all gung ho run like the clappers and whack a shot but i don't see any guile or intelligence there.
    Type of player would run full tilt head first into the post!

Just like Tony V :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I'm actually worried about Sunday - the way United are playing someone is going to hammer them sooner rather than later.

Arsenal should have. Southampton could have. Soft goals in both games gave us the results but the impossible as it is to believe, United have actually gotten worse at defending. Smalling / Jones / Evans not upto it. McNair not yet near the level. And now we have Rojo who looks like an improvement but at times can resemble the type of player we used to only see playing for Columbia/Bolivia/Mexico at a World Cup but would never hear of again once the tournament finished.

If (big if) Liverpools mid field click on Sunday they could tear united apart. Somebody soon is going to - I just hope its not this weekend.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Just like Tony V :eek:

No. Tony V, when he gets to the man he stops and turns back.

Bolasie runs through the man splitting him in two with his magic forcefield and continues on his way running ninety miles an hour until the advertising hoarding stops him. :pac:

Zaha was overpaid for but looked a real prospect.

His problems seem to be off the field which is his own fault, did we sell him or just loan him out?

Coat22 wrote: »
    I'm actually worried about Sunday - the way United are playing someone is going to hammer them sooner rather than later.

Arsenal should have. Southampton could have. Soft goals in both games gave us the results but the impossible as it is to believe, United have actually gotten worse at defending. Smalling / Jones / Evans not upto it. McNair not yet near the level. And now we have Rojo who looks like an improvement but at times can resemble the type of player we used to only see playing for Columbia/Bolivia/Mexico at a World Cup but would never hear of again once the tournament finished.

If (big if) Liverpools mid field click on Sunday they could tear united apart. Somebody soon is going to - I just hope its not this weekend.

United have been very good at home this season and nobody has looked like hammering us. We went to Arsenal with a game plan to park the bus and counter and it worked perfectly.

Also if anybody is going to hammer us it's certainly not going to be a side with Lambert leading the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Surely there's more threat of Carrick, Fellaini/Herrera and Di Maria clicking and destroying someone than Gerrard, Henderson and Lucas doing the same? If Shaw and Rafael are back this weekend also we should look a lot more fluid. Can't wait for it personally

3-5-2 hasn't been used at home in the last couple of matches and we have looked stronger because of this

It will be 4 at the back v Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

zerks wrote: »

But how can he qualify for the cl by losing in the league?

I think he just gets off on living in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

If (big if) Uniteds mid field click on Sunday they could tear Liverpool apart. Somebody soon is going to - I just hope its this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lol at people (and there are a lot of them) that think last night's performance has been representative as to how we've played over the last several games. That is complete horse****.

That was by far the worst, followed by the first 30 mins at Arsenal and also the Palace game at home was below par. The other performances v West Brom, Chelsea, City, Hull and Stoke have ranged between average to quite good.

zerks wrote: »
    Beat Southampton last night,now to beat their B-Team on Sunday.

Top posting zerks :D

Blatter wrote: »
    Lol at people (and there are a lot of them) that think last night's performance has been representative as to how we've played over the last several games. That is complete horse****.

That was by far the worst, followed by the first 30 mins at Arsenal and also the Palace game at home was below par. The other performances v West Brom, Chelsea, City, Hull and Stoke have ranged between average to quite good.

Not sure who that many are? I had mentioned 3 at the back last night was a joke and we were terrible at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Edward Glazer and the sale of 3 million shares, the prospectus for the sale says "We anticipate a higher level of net player capital expenditure."

So a higher level (than what was the norm) of spending on players to continue.

Shares down near 9%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not sure who that many are? I had mentioned 3 at the back last night was a joke and we were terrible at times

Wasn't referring to you, I didn't even see your post. Mainly talking about opposition fans who are judging United as awful based on last night's performance, when in reality it was one game and not representative of performances in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

At the moment while we wait for things to settle injury wise... I don't care how we win as long as we win.
    After the Chelsea loss, we needed to win to close the gap for whatever slim hopes we have of a title race.
    The main aim was achieved, we won, happy for that aim to be achieved every match while we improve our play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

RobertKK wrote: »
    Edward Glazer and the sale of 3 million shares, the prospectus for the sale says "We anticipate a higher level of net player capital expenditure."

Shares down near 9%.

This is welcome. (Glazer sale and more transfer plans)

UTD generally have a higher net spend on players. The Ronaldo sale skewers the figures and we won't be selling another one of him for a while!

UTD generally pay top dollar for players (Mata, Fellaini, Herrera are the most recent 3) and don't really get back massive fees when players move on. I can't think of one squad player we have moved on in the last 5-6 years where you would say "we got big money for him".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

RobertKK wrote: »

Shares down near 9%.

The price will go down when they are for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

But how can he qualify for the cl by losing in the league?

I think he just gets off on living in the past
    Wouldn't be a proper Liverpool fan if he didn't. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im not sure what I result I want for pool tonight

Headshot wrote: »

A loss, after all their gloating and desperation to get back into the CL, wouldn't it be hilarious for them to get knocked out in the group stages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Surely there's more threat of Carrick, Fellaini/Herrera and Di Maria clicking and destroying someone than Gerrard, Henderson and Lucas doing the same? If Shaw and Rafael are back this weekend also we should look a lot more fluid. Can't wait for it personally

Agreed if the above played but DM is injured, Herrera doesn't seem to be VGs flavour of the month (despite being his player of the month) and Carrick will end up covering the back 4 who really do (Shaw apart when he plays) resemble the Dog and Duck XI.

Granted it might not (probably won't be) Liverpool who are the team that will grab a hat full against us but it just has to happen at some stage unless some sort of miracle happens in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Win/win, in my opinion.

If they go out, the schadenfreude will be delightful.

If they go through/get Europa League, the extra games will hopefully hinder their league form later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hope they get bet 4-0 and get dumped into the europa league.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Not fussed about their result too much as I don't think they'll thump Basel, and if they do qualify, they'll bd walloped in the last sixteen more than likely. So long as Basel give them a game at the very least, I'll be alright with that. An emotional draining, physically tiring game please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Shots fired.

Carra was blindfiring a SMG out a window of a moving car with his tweet. Neville 360 quickscoped him with a Barrett with his reply.

Tl;dr I've been playing CoD and GTA recently

Kharrell wrote: »
    Not fussed about their result too much as I don't think they'll thump Basel, and if they do qualify, they'll bd walloped in the last sixteen more than likely. So long as Basel give them a game at the very least, I'll be alright with that. An emotional draining, physically tiring game please.

In an unprecedented turn of events the Referee will hopefully call for two 30 min halves of extra time after a 15-15 draw.

Off-topic, given how funny tonight should be, but it's nice for us to get a handy FA cup draw. We've gotten some stinkers of banana skins the last couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

thelad95 wrote: »
    Off-topic, given how funny tonight should be, but it's nice for us to get a handy FA cup draw. We've gotten some stinkers of banana skins the last couple of seasons.

Remember MK Dons? ;)

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Remember MK Dons? ;)

Was that the FA cup?

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Remember MK Dons? ;)

every time christ

FEED THE SCOUSERS! LET THEM KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Great for us if Liverpool get Europa

I read a comparison before about how premier league teams do on a weekend after Europa and a random game week without it and it showed a dip in points per game

May not be definitive but I'll take any advantage we can get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I read a comparison before about how premier league teams do on a weekend after Europa and a random game week without it and it showed a dip in points per game

All you have to do is look at Everton and Spurs in that instance.

I don't care if it gains them points per week so long as we beat them on Sunday

We really really should be beating Liverpool by a few goals on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

We really really should be beating Liverpool by a few goals on Sunday.

They're septic.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I don't care if it gains them points per week so long as we beat them on Sunday

Spot on. This has to be the best chance in a long time to give Liverpool a right hammering and we need to do this. Time to bury that nail in the coffin.
    Its massive in the context of our season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dont know why but I just bursted out laughing

You'll never walk alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Dont know why but I just bursted out laughing

Me too and I'm not even watching the footy! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement