Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd honestly rank it right back, right winger first and then CM and CB at the same a bit below. I reckon if Evans can get a run of games now beside Rojo and Jones or Smalling aren't out for too long CB will cease to be too much of an issue. A Coleman or Clyne, a top right winger or Nani back, Strootman and a CB only if Evans, Smalling and Jones continue their current injury status and the squad is looking very good.

Left back is only a problem due to it being the 4th choice left back in there atm. With a fully fit group you'd have Shaw, Blind and Rojo in there before Young. With Blind and Shaw getting injured at the same time it was unfortunate. Rojo is better served inside now due to the CB injuries but I'm hoping for a better return on games from Jones and Evans at least in the 2nd half of the season.

If any of them stayed fit, they could well develop into a top CB, but they have shown over the last 3+ seasons, they can't stay fit and that's the problem and why a new CB is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

zerks wrote: »
    Will a book be written if Liverpool beat us on Sunday?

It'll be their entire season highlight DVD.

Sunday's game will now be their cup final, proper order is on the way to being restored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

zerks wrote: »
    Form goes out the window when they play us,it'll be like a cup final for Liverpool on Sunday.

I dont think it does though. Our record against them prior to last year was very good when we were well ahead in the league. They beat us twice last season when clearly better. This game has parallel's to the OT fixture last season when people expected a United backlash to try save their season. Liverpool were simply in much better form and came in and spanked us. If Liverpool were ever going to lift their game, surely it wouldve been last night when they really needed a performance? I just dont think theyre capable of raising their game at present, and the prospect of a tough away tie and the likes of Di Maria coming back in is hardly going to help confidence shot players. One off game and anything can happen obviously, but i'm massively looking forward to Sunday rather than dreading it.

Let's hope the utd fans at OT have a 'Brendan Rodgers is a football genius' banner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bangkok wrote: »
    would love cahill at united, one of the best defenders in the league

For real real? or for play play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

For real real? or for play play?

you dont rate him? 7m an absolute steal for Chelsea, there is not many better centre halves around in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

you dont rate him? 7m an absolute steal for Chelsea, there is not many better centre halves around in the league

I've just said it in the Chelsea thread, the amount of CBs genuinely better than him would be, IMO, Terry, Kompany and Kosclieny, the rest are worse or at a simialr level but then that shows a lack of top quality CBs in the league or the world for that matter.

I'm not a Cahill fan, he was playing terrible against Spurs and a better CF than Kane would have punished us and against Newcastle he was found out again.

I think hes ok but hes made look better by Terry next to him, if JT has an off day, Cahill can be exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cahill was very shaky at Bolton. Has looked better at Chelsea but in an ultra defensive system. Doesn't get tested most games and is decent with the ball at his feet. Similar enough to Evans I think but Evans I feel potentially has more in his locker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Chelsea's loss on Saturday highlighted Matic's importance from a defence-protection point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its the perfect combination Terry and Cahill. Cahill wouldnt be the same player without Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I think he's alright. Wasn't sure if you were serious saying he was top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I can;t see how Liverpool are going to cause us too many problems really.

Rodgers only knows one style of one up front with pace which worked great last season and helped Sterling.

Strangely he bought two strikers who's games are not suited to pace and being up front on their own. His unwillingness to move away from this system while Sturridge is out is mind boggling.

The one very good signing he made Lallana is not a first team regular despite being their most creative player.

Their is no better time to play Liverpool they won't move away from a system that doesn't suit the players rodgers is picking i will be shocked if we don;t beat them.

When Sturridge comes back they will be alright again as he fits the system hopefully it will keep him at the club longer, he has been found out completely as not being able to adapt to get the best out of his squad.

bantee wrote: »
    Chelsea's loss on Saturday highlighted Matic's importance from a defence-protection point of view.

Sorry mods, not that I wish to continue off-topic but how long is he out for? Chelsea will surely miss him over the xmas and could be a good opportunity for us to regain some ground on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sorry mods, not that I wish to continue off-topic but how long is he out for? Chelsea will surely miss him over the xmas and could be a good opportunity for us to regain some ground on them.

1 game, 5 yellows

Hes back against Hull.

Cesc is out for 5 yellows though which could cause its own issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

He wasn't injured AFAIK, just serving his 1-match ban for the 5 yellows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That says far more about the quality of defender available than it does about Gary Cahill.

I don't even dislike Cahill, a solid defender that doesn't make many mistakes and stays injury free, hell I'd take that at United these days.

But he certainly is no superstar defender, he's no Terry, Ferdinand or Sol Campbell, just a solid pro for whom £7m sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I can;t see how Liverpool are going to cause us too many problems really.

Rodgers only knows one style of one up front with pace which worked great last season and helped Sterling.

Strangely he bought two strikers who's games are not suited to pace and being up front on their own. His unwillingness to move away from this system while Sturridge is out is mind boggling.

The one very good signing he made Lallana is not a first team regular despite being their most creative player.

Their is no better time to play Liverpool they won't move away from a system that doesn't suit the players rodgers is picking i will be shocked if we don;t beat them.

When Sturridge comes back they will be alright again as he fits the system hopefully it will keep him at the club longer, he has been found out completely as not being able to adapt to get the best out of his squad.

I wouldn't be too sure about that....Sturridge was only one piece of the puzzle last year. Liverpool still need to plug the 30 odd goals Suarez contributed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

would love cahill at united, one of the best defenders in the league

Ivanovic for me, top of my transfer wish list, though of course it will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Liam O wrote: »
    Cahill was very shaky at Bolton. Has looked better at Chelsea but in an ultra defensive system. Doesn't get tested most games and is decent with the ball at his feet. Similar enough to Evans I think but Evans I feel potentially has more in his locker.

Yes he has an old pair of shoes, some empty pens and the remains of a packed lunch, oh and a six month old Metro.

Can people, for the love of god, stop writing 'in his locker'?!

Now getting at you Liamo, just does my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Smalling's injury means he's out for two weeks according to the BBC and a few others.

Not too bad considering Jones is nearly back and Evans + Rojo are fit.

Give it a week or two though and I'm sure one of them will pick up another injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Well thats Roma out of the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Kevin Strootman to United in Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

kstand wrote: »

They can have Anderson

Seems a fair deal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'd rather wait until summer to go for him.
    It's enough to have Falcao trying to prove he's fit without another player coming back from a serious injury that's hardly played yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It would take an obscene amount of money in January, then you have to go about bedding another new player into the new midfield. I would wait till the summer no hesitation. Roma will be very hard to deal with in the summer never mind January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ivanovic for me, top of my transfer wish list, though of course it will never happen.

yes would love ivanovic but cahill is solid. Someone said 7m was around the correct price for him, he is probably a 15-20m defender easily, bolton had to sell him cheap as his contract was up that summer.

He will probably be the next chelsea captain when terry retires.

Na

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That "Help Brendan Rodgers" appeal is fcuking hilarious :) - the great banter between fans is what makes the rivalry.

kstand wrote: »

"Hey Strootman, so what's your story? Come see what I have in my fanny pack."

hoR2rnn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

@Keith_Russell

Strootman to Italian journalists "Im concentrating on my fitness but we'll see what Jan brings of course I'm in contact with my former boss"

https://twitter.com/Keith_Russell/status/542797202322915328

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

"Hey Strootman, so what's your story? Come see what I have in my fanny pack."

hoR2rnn.jpg

Hahaha that is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Getting in a decent CB would be my priority next month.

Of course Strootman is quality player but I could wait till summer for that to happen.

Too many injuries at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote: »
    bye bye Mata?

They are totally different players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A cheeky bid for Sterling seeing as he's reported to have rejected his new contract at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »
    They are totally different players

There has been speculation that Mata might go the other way to get the deal done.

I'd be surprised if Strootman was signed in January. I think he will b e a big target in the summer but I don't think he will move in January.

He is only just now really returning to the Roma side, still can't play consecutive games and probably has another while before he is physically 100% again, and longer until he is back to the top of his game. I'd also be surprised if he did anything to try force a move in January given he has only just returned from injury - would be a massive show of disrespect, imo, and I don't think he would do that to Roma.

They may be out of the CL, but we weren't in it to begin with, and they are still on pace to go for the title, so its not like they have nothing to play for over the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Talk of Vidic returning is gathering pace. Lots of people seem to be talking about it now. Risky move but you can see why they'd try and get him back.

There has been speculation that Mata might go the other way to get the deal done.

I'd be surprised if Strootman was signed in January. I think he will b e a big target in the summer but I don't think he will move in January.

He is only just now really returning to the Roma side, still can't play consecutive games and probably has another while before he is physically 100% again, and longer until he is back to the top of his game. I'd also be surprised if he did anything to try force a move in January given he has only just returned from injury - would be a massive show of disrespect, imo, and I don't think he would do that to Roma.

They may be out of the CL, but we weren't in it to begin with, and they are still on pace to go for the title, so its not like they have nothing to play for over the rest of the season.

We shouldn't sign him until he proves himself anyway. Lucas wasn't too dissimilar a player to Strootman before his ACL injury and it ruined him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Vidic has had a nightmare time for Inter

Pighead wrote: »
    Talk of Vidic returning is gathering pace. Lots of people seem to be talking about it now. Risky move but you can see why they'd try and get him back.

It's all very gossipy at the minute, a lot of reputable sources running with it under their gossip sections. Not a whole lot of concrete info tbh.

It wouldn't overly surprise me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Pighead wrote: »

Has he not been poor this season in a slower league and he is also injury prone.

I'm torn over the Vidic rumours. I don't think I want him back, well, I know I don't want him back it does no good long term, but it would provide some leadership and stability to the backline theoretically for this season anyway.

If Van Gaal wants to continue with 3 at the back he would be a good option for the centre piece flanked by Smalling/Jones and Rojo/Evans

I think the negatives out weigh the positives though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Only played 9 times for Inter so far this season in all competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I see Lucas Moura is beginning to rediscover some form for PSG this season. Seeing as he is almost 2 years into his 3.5 years term at the club would anyone see him as a viable replacement for Valencia? I think a nice £15-£20M bid next Summer would tempt them a lot and he is still relatively young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Strootman following AIB.

Might be off to LOI.

As for Vidic, thanks, but no thanks.

Unless its in some coaching role or similar.

There's a chance he may not have settled in Italy and that's been more of a problem for him at Inter rather than his actual ability. Not sure he's quite 'done' yet. People thought Terry was done 3 years ago after a rough patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think Vidic would be a fantastic short-term solution. We should then try break the bank for Hummels, Hoewedes and Varane next summer and sell Smalling and Evans.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement