Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Has he not been poor this season in a slower league and he is also injury prone.
    Haven't seen him play at all since he left Utd to be honest. But by most accounts he seems to be struggling. Personally I think it could be worth the risk of bringing him in with a view to cementing a top four finish this season. Evans and Vidic together again could be decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I don't know why so many mention Varane as a potential target. He gets plenty of game time for Madrid and he's going to overtake Pepe sooner rather than later. Madrid aren't letting him go and I can't see him agitating for a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I reckon the Vidic stuff is classic 2+2=6.
    As for Strootman - he can now move it would seem.
    Benfica out of everything too - Perez rumours going round and doubtless the Gaitan rumours will start up again. Same with Wesley Sneijder although they started them up 2 weeks ago. Cant see anyone leaving any of the clubs in the last 16 of the CL.
    I wonder is there much legs on the rumour I heard that Bale will be sold in the summer so Real can bring Reus in?

Blatter wrote: »
    I don't know why so many mention Varane as a potential target. He gets plenty of game time for Madrid and he's going to overtake Pepe sooner rather than later. Madrid aren't letting him go and I can't see him agitating for a transfer.

He's a much better centre half than that embarrassment to mankind. cant believe that they rate Pepe and leave Varane on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Madrid are completely fickle though. They would happily take 30 million and buy in another superstar like Kompany or Subotic.

kstand wrote: »
    He's a much better centre half than that embarrassment to mankind. cant believe that they rate Pepe and leave Varane on the bench.

Pepe is a lunatic but he's also a very good centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

kryogen wrote: »
    I'm torn over the Vidic rumours. I don't think I want him back, well, I know I don't want him back it does no good long term, but it would provide some leadership and stability to the backline theoretically for this season anyway.

If Van Gaal wants to continue with 3 at the back he would be a good option for the centre piece flanked by Smalling/Jones and Rojo/Evans

I think the negatives out weigh the positives though

Struggled exactly in that role for Inter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

TBH I think Vidic is worth the risk in January on a short term contract. A world class centre back is still needed in the summer but if Vidic preformed well and got offered another year with the club it'd possible allowed the club to loan out both McNair and Blackett to get more regular game time. Utd would still have Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Evans, Vidic and New CB as their options.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Madrid are completely fickle though. They would happily take 30 million and buy in another superstar like Kompany or Subotic.

They see Varane as the future, he's very much in their plans. No doubt as a club they can be mental at times, but I don't think they're mental enough to get rid of possibly the best CB prospect to be seen in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People thought Terry was done 3 years ago after a rough patch.

Terry would be done now if he wasn't surrounded by a very solid defensive unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Pepe is a lunatic but he's also a very good centre back.

Agreed, its why he gets away with the sh*t he does and other players of course. If he was average he would have been gone a long time ago.

On a personal note, just got a text off a mate to say I've got a ticket for Spurs away on the 28th. One is very pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Headshot wrote: »
    They are totally different players

So do you see them playing together? With Rooney, Herrerra and Carrick?

One more player that pushes other players into positions that Mata would normally be in

I knew someone would reply with that

Terry would be done now if he wasn't surrounded by a very solid defensive unit.

Agreed. That's why I'd have doubts about bringing Vidic back as we don't have a solid defensive unit. However van Gaal has spoken of his desire to implement one and we've generally seen improvement on that front over the last few weeks despite all the chopping and changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think Vidic would be a fantastic short-term solution. We should then try break the bank for Hummels, Hoewedes and Varane next summer and sell Smalling and Evans.

ed woodward has stated on more than one occasion they will not be signing players for short term fixes. They have a list of targets for next summer, should any of these be available in January they will make a move if not they wont.

Vidic is well past it at this stage, slow and liable to get sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Agreed. That's why I'd have doubts about bringing Vidic back as we don't have a solid defensive unit. However van Gaal has spoken of his desire to implement one and we've generally seen improvement on that front over the last few weeks despite all the chopping and changing.

Have we? Arsenal should have scored a few agaisnt us. Stoke should have scored a few against us. Southampton should have scored a few against us.

De Gea has been fantastic, and we have ridden our luck defensively, imo. We have not been solid.

bangkok wrote: »
    ed woodward has stated on more than one occasion they will not be signing players for short term fixes. They have a list of targets for next summer, should any of these be available in January they will make a move if not they wont.

Vidic is well past it at this stage, slow and liable to get sent off.

Yeah, and if 4th spot looks in serious danger I'm sure we'll continue with the exact same injury prone defenders rather than try to bring in someone like Vlaar or Vidic. We'll stick to what Woodward has said, in public, cause he wouldn't want to be shown to be telling fibs - or that plans might change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Yeah, and if 4th spot looks in serious danger I'm sure we'll continue with the exact same injury prone defenders rather than try to bring in someone like Vlaar or Vidic. We'll stick to what Woodward has said, in public, cause he wouldn't want to be shown to be telling fibs - or that plans might change.

ron vlaar at man utd?! not a chance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I reckon the Vidic stuff is classic 2+2=6.
    As for Strootman - he can now move it would seem.
    Benfica out of everything too - Perez rumours going round and doubtless the Gaitan rumours will start up again. Same with Wesley Sneijder although they started them up 2 weeks ago. Cant see anyone leaving any of the clubs in the last 16 of the CL.
    I wonder is there much legs on the rumour I heard that Bale will be sold in the summer so Real can bring Reus in?

2^2+2= 6

Maybe they are onto something but got their maths wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

As much as I want to repost some of the hilarious Liverpool stuff to Facebook...I just want Sunday out of the way first...DEAR BABY JESUS LET US DESTROY THEM ON SUNDAY

No, everything they say in public is the truth. They wouldnt lie to us, we are fans, they would surely tell us the truth? Jokers the lot of the them. Biggest club in the world and he cant even sign a player in january. Ed Woodward is not a manchester united CEO. Sure all he did was derp around and panic buy fellaini and panic buy mata.
    (!)

Have we? Arsenal should have scored a few agaisnt us. Stoke should have scored a few against us. Southampton should have scored a few against us.

De Gea has been fantastic, and we have ridden our luck defensively, imo. We have not been solid.

I put down the Arsenal and Southampton performances to the reintroduction of the back 5.

We were very solid against Stoke apart from the last couple of mins, where they created their only real chances of the game. The team was ok as a defensive unit against Chelsea too, and not too bad v. City despite being down to 10 men for 50+ mins.

I don't think we've been great in that regard, but better than we were in the first couole of months? I think so.

2^2+2= 6

Maybe they are onto something but got their maths wrong?

A very piquant observation.

De Boer saying United "are not playing like a Van Gaal team yet".

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2014/12/man-utd-arent-a-louis-van-gaal-team-says-dutch-legend/

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Vidic is a bad move IMO, even as short term. Would be shown up in the PL like Ferdinand was/is. Too slow and not mobile enough keep up with it.

Someone on the cheap like shawcross, huth, vlaar etc to plug the gap would be ideal short term for cover then keep around as a squad player when real reenforcements are made in the summer.

So vidic will be shown up but players who are regularly shown up won't be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I can't think of many viable options that aren't short term or we have to pay through the nose for I'd rather go for Rannochia than Vidic.

De Vrij has started well at Lazio we could have got him for 7 million but maybe Van Gaal didn't think he was ready.

Would like Astori too but I doubt Roma would let him go for cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

No thanks on Vidic rumours from me.

Was a shadow of his former self, and he looked nailed on to be replaced under Moyes. His performances last season were dire at times and I really didn't take well to the way he left, thought it was poor form from a Captain who looked to not be up for the fight.

He's barely kicked a ball for Inter, so bad has he been. Not even injury related, just not getting a start for a mid table Serie A side.

We shouldn't be looking into short term headline writing nostalgic trasnfers, and anything that comes in JAnuary should be well thought out.

Van Gaal seems to be indicating he doesn't feel he will spend this January unless something comes up you can't say no too.

The club would do best not to panic, and instead work on getting the squad back fit and look into whats causing all these injuries, if anything, and resolving that issue.

A fit CB contingent of Smalling,Jones, Evans, Rojo, Blackett and McNair is more then sufficent for what we want to achieve this year.

Still can't shake the feeling Jones is going to be cut this summer by the way to make room for a new CB.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    As much as I want to repost some of the hilarious Liverpool stuff to Facebook...I just want Sunday out of the way first...DEAR BABY JESUS LET US DESTROY THEM ON SUNDAY

Granted both teams are having issues, I think Liverpool are having a bit of what we had last year.

While we arn't performing well, we are grinding results now. We have some individual brilliance and some lethal strikers to get us out of holes.

Rodgers rightly getting questioned, none of his signings working out, an impotent strike force and a waining Steven Gerrard.

LVG and the team could make a big statement if they get a convincing win this Sunday. The team is talking a good game with how our confidence is growing and this that the other, this is the perfect match to come around to put that talk to the test.

TheDoc wrote: »

Was a shadow of his former self, and he looked nailed on to be replaced under Moyes. His performances last season were dire at times and I really didn't take well to the way he left, thought it was poor form from a Captain who looked to not be up for the fight.

He's barely kicked a ball for Inter, so bad has he been. Not even injury related, just not getting a start for a mid table Serie A side.

We shouldn't be looking into short term headline writing nostalgic trasnfers, and anything that comes in JAnuary should be well thought out.

Van Gaal seems to be indicating he doesn't feel he will spend this January unless something comes up you can't say no too.

The club would do best not to panic, and instead work on getting the squad back fit and look into whats causing all these injuries, if anything, and resolving that issue.

A fit CB contingent of Smalling,Jones, Evans, Rojo, Blackett and McNair is more then sufficent for what we want to achieve this year.

Still can't shake the feeling Jones is going to be cut this summer by the way to make room for a new CB.

We have had this injury issue for years. It was happening under Fergie. It was happening under Moyes. It is happening under LVG. 3 different managers, different coaches, different training, same outcomes.

Its all well and good saying our CB options are fine if they can stay fit - history and present circumstances are showing that we simply cannot afford to believe they will retain fitness. It was stupid when we were banging on about the Toshiba medical stuff, and it is stupid now.

We also can't really rely on them to become the top defenders we need them to be, or reliable ones.

I said in the summer we would regret not getting an experienced leader in for the defence, and I stand by it - we are regretting it. Not attempting to rectify it in January in the hope we can sign a top CB in the summer (who, they were scarce summer gone, and it won't be any better this time around either, imo.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I can't think of many viable options that aren't short term or we have to pay through the nose for I'd rather go for Rannochia than Vidic.

De Vrij has started well at Lazio we could have got him for 7 million but maybe Van Gaal didn't think he was ready.

Would like Astori too but I doubt Roma would let him go for cheap

Roma don't own Astori. They've an option to buy him for 5m in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Only played 9 times for Inter so far this season in all competitions

Never tried a yard for Moyes last season, wouldn't go near him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Roma don't own Astori. They've an option to buy him for 5m in the summer.

I thought they bought him outright, worrying that they haven't as I remember watching him years ago and he really lacked self belief, made a lot of mistakes, he was getting a lot of stick in the Italian press. He has looked very good this season though

Was just reading an article " Top 50 January transfer targets that could make a move"

From the Guardian or Telepgraph or something, stopped counting us being linked after 32......

There seems to be journalists out there confident enough to already claim we have a done deal for Strootman, like what? I'd happily welcome that.

In two windows we will have gone from rubbish midfield to choices between Herrera, Di Maria, Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher, Strootman, Blind. Happy days.

Don't like the stuff that keeps cropping up about Herrera potentially being sold already? I think hes a very neat and tidy player with a lovely spark. Be disappointed to see him go.

Mata though, wow, just looks like the right player and the wrong time. Really want him to work out, but he's been anonymous in SO many matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

sugarman wrote: »
    Vidic is a bad move IMO, even as short term. Would be shown up in the PL like Ferdinand was/is. Too slow and not mobile enough keep up with it.

Someone on the cheap like shawcross, huth, vlaar etc to plug the gap would be ideal short term for cover then keep around as a squad player when real reenforcements are made in the summer.

Do you play Football Manager? Cause that sounds like a Football Manager move right there!

I don't know when contracts end for any of the players you've mentioned, but I can't see any of them going 'cheap.' I couldn't see any of their clubs parting with them mid-season, they're all first choice defenders when fit, as far as I know.

Vidic move isn't the worst option on the cards. If Utd were going for a short-term option then I think a loan move for someone would be best. Michael Keane could be an option too, his loan move with Burnley finishes in January. I watched the Burnley-QPR game on Sat and despite Burnley conceding two goals, Keane played pretty well. I think that would be a better short-term option than paying over the odds for Shawcross, Vlaar or Huth.

Was just reading an article " Top 50 January transfer targets that could make a move"

From the Guardian or Telepgraph or something, stopped counting us being linked after 32......

There seems to be journalists out there confident enough to already claim we have a done deal for Strootman, like what? I'd happily welcome that.

In two windows we will have gone from rubbish midfield to choices between Herrera, Di Maria, Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher, Strootman, Blind. Happy days.

Don't like the stuff that keeps cropping up about Herrera potentially being sold already? I think hes a very neat and tidy player with a lovely spark. Be disappointed to see him go.

Mata though, wow, just looks like the right player and the wrong time. Really want him to work out, but he's been anonymous in SO many matches.

Fletcher is well past his best and Feillaini is a waste of space. I have my doubts about Blinds turn of pace too. A midfield trio of Carrick, Herrara and Strootman is good, very good. The Di Maria on the left, excellent.
    But we would still be short an out and out right winger.

Phil Jones back in training but probably won't be back until the Villa game,Di Maria looks more likely to be fit for Sunday.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/11/phil-jones-manchester-united-back-in-training

Message to Phil - stay away from Falcao in training.

Fletcher is well past his best and Feillaini is a waste of space. I have my doubts about Blinds turn of pace too. A midfield trio of Carrick, Herrara and Strootman is good, very good. The Di Maria on the left, excellent.
    But we would still be short an out and out right winger.

I suppose a lot depends on the formation aswell, with so much chopping and changing.

Di Maria is good in a sense he can play wide and centrally. There are good wingers out there, but we havn't played much with out and out wingers.

An example would be Reus, lethal out wide, might be contrived playing him centrally.

Not that I have any worry, Van Gaal obviously knows what he is doing in this regard, but we are nearly halfway through the season, no real solidified formation ( might be due to injury issues) but I'd have some concerns at how we havn't established a base and that it might prove then tricky to identify transfer targets.

Some will be obvious, but you cuold get another Mata situation, blowing big money on a player that you can't really accomodate.

I suppose a lot depends on the formation aswell, with so much chopping and changing.

Di Maria is good in a sense he can play wide and centrally. There are good wingers out there, but we havn't played much with out and out wingers.

An example would be Reus, lethal out wide, might be contrived playing him centrally.

Not that I have any worry, Van Gaal obviously knows what he is doing in this regard, but we are nearly halfway through the season, no real solidified formation ( might be due to injury issues) but I'd have some concerns at how we havn't established a base and that it might prove then tricky to identify transfer targets.

Some will be obvious, but you cuold get another Mata situation, blowing big money on a player that you can't really accomodate.

That would be a worry - for all the money spent already nothing has been done to tackle the issues that have been present since that 5-5 draw at West Brom.
    The injury list is a worry too - the same players are always out at various stages - e.g. what is the longest run Jones has had in the side? I see Micky Phelan had a swipe at Van Gaal yesterday regarding the injuries and fitness etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Have to agreed to this up to a point
    I think we'll see a few CB's leave this summer from the sextet and M Keane.
    I'd see keane, Evans and one of Jones/ Smalling going out the door.
    Blackett and Mcnair will be kept with one going on loan
    So next season we'd be looking at
    one solid experienced centre back (Pique, Hummels or the like)
    Rojo
    Jones or Smalling
    Blackett or McNair

I wouldn't rule out Vlaar coming in on a free transfer too.. he's out of contract this Summer

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Have to agreed to this up to a point
    I think we'll see a few CB's leave this summer from the sextet and M Keane.
    I'd see keane, Evans and one of Jones/ Smalling going out the door.
    Blackett and Mcnair will be kept with one going on loan
    So next season we'd be looking at
    one solid experienced centre back (Pique, Hummels or the like)
    Rojo
    Jones or Smalling
    Blackett or McNair

I wouldn't rule out Vlaar coming in on a free transfer too.. he's out of contract this Summer

I'm not buying into the Vlaar stuff. Van Gaal could have got him this summer if he wanted.

Good World Cup aside( wouldn't be the first time mediocre player performs well in one off event) but Vlaar has been with Villa with little interest from bigger clubs, for good reason imo.

De Vrij looked the better prospect and Van Gaal saw fit to pass him up as well, so I take it he accepts he was working with limited resources with Holland, but feels there is better out there for club football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'm not buying into the Vlaar stuff. Van Gaal could have got him this summer if he wanted.

Good World Cup aside( wouldn't be the first time mediocre player performs well in one off event) but Vlaar has been with Villa with little interest from bigger clubs, for good reason imo.

De Vrij looked the better prospect and Van Gaal saw fit to pass him up as well, so I take it he accepts he was working with limited resources with Holland, but feels there is better out there for club football.

Fair point Doc.
    Who konws until there's a new player playing at CB in the famous red jersey ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Isn't Vlaar out of contract in summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

zerks wrote: »
    Phil Jones back in training but probably won't be back until the Villa game,Di Maria looks more likely to be fit for Sunday.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/11/phil-jones-manchester-united-back-in-training

Message to Phil - stay away from Falcao in training.

Message to phil - don't even think of tackling anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

We need/have to sign at LEAST 1 central defender in the January transfer window and ill be happy. Even if its a good strong 20 year old decent prospect that doesn't get injured every bloody week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Ya, bringing back Vidic would be a step backwards. I doubt there is any chance of it anyway, LVG has insisted he is here for 3-4 years so I don't think he will be looking at short term options, certainly not players over 31-32.

If we buy a new CB it will have to be one comfortable playing the ball on the ground and capable of adapting for different formations, ideally in the 24-28 age bracket. Shawcross, Vlaar and others have their plus points but they are not for UTD in my view. LVG is more likely to push for a Ramos or Pepe than those two. But again , neither would be a good option, just examples I'm using.

I agree that certainly one and maybe even two of Jones, Smalling and Evans will be moved on next summer. There are also 3-4 midfielder who need to be moved on permanently.

I think it's more likely we will make another commercial signing of a great player who, while very welcome, might not be an absolute need...I.e. falcao or ADM. At the expense of less "sexy" areas of the team.

It would be logical that defence and a keeper would be a focus next summer - midfield and forward has got the focus for the last couple of windows. Apart from the defenders who were brought in to replace people who left, we didn't bring in anyone specifically to bench someone already in the defence.

Vidic for a couple of months would be no harm for secondary cover nothing much else worth over paying for in Jan IMO.
    Summer we can focus on scouting.
    Think making one major signing on a CM should be more of a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Nolars wrote: »
    We need/have to sign at LEAST 1 central defender in the January transfer window and ill be happy. Even if its a good strong 20 year old decent prospect that doesn't get injured every bloody week.

We have plenty of prospects already at the club. If we pick up a CB in January, it needs to be someone experienced, already a starter at a big club, who will go straight into the first team squad and stay there for 4-5 years.

Otherwise we are better to wait until summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If we are in with a chance of winning the title come January, it would increase the likelihood of new player(s) coming in depending on availability.
    I think United would pay for Strootman in January if possible to get him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Vlaar had an excellent season last year and his name was suggested in here before the world cup took place, so the one-off event criticism doesn't really hold.

I don't want to overstate his level, but for the right price I believe he would be a better option than Vidic at this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement