Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

He could be our Ricky lambert signing.
    Buy him for the lols and a just in case, then is your only player in tht position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

kstand wrote: »
    Fletcher is well past his best and Feillaini is a waste of space. I have my doubts about Blinds turn of pace too. A midfield trio of Carrick, Herrara and Strootman is good, very good. The Di Maria on the left, excellent.
    But we would still be short an out and out right winger.

Fellaini is a waste of space? Did you cancel your sky subscription this season or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's said that Carrick is an under-rated player but I think he's seriously over-rated on this thread. He's an excellent DM but can be quite slow and cumbersome at times and as his career has progressed, he seems to be more inclined to pass laterally as opposed to forward. You could argue that's due to the winger-centric tactics we saw under Moyes and Fergie but he just seems to have lost a bit of creative edge as well.

Herrera and Blind aren't as good in the DM role but certainly look more exciting going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

thelad95 wrote: »
    It's said that Carrick is an under-rated player but I think he's seriously over-rated on this thread
    thelad95 wrote: »
    He's an excellent DM.

Granted, I chopped out the "but" in the second quote. IMHO you can't say a guy is over-rated, and then in the very next line say he is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Janmaat was the big miss this Summer. Pittance and looks a very good right back. Could have covered Raf and came in when he got injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

v3ttel wrote: »
    Granted, I chopped out the "but" in the second quote. IMHO you can't say a guy is over-rated, and then in the very next line say he is excellent.

Why not?

Somebody can be excellent but still not good enough for our needs, and can be over rated by fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Fellaini is a waste of space? Did you cancel your sky subscription this season or something?

I think he means fellaini is not good enough for man utd, which I agree with

Fellaini is a good squad player to have around but in a Manchester United jersey, he will never be more than a 'horses for courses' type of player. He can be a nuisance and is good at holding the ball up and has had good games in both CDM (Chelsea) and CAM (West Brom, Stoke) this season.

In saying this, if we were to cash in to the tune of £12-18 million next summer and invest in a new CB, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over his departure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

bangkok wrote: »
    I think he means fellaini is not good enough for man utd, which I agree with

If he's playing well enough he's too enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Vlaar had an excellent season last year and his name was suggested in here before the world cup took place, so the one-off event criticism doesn't really hold.

I don't want to overstate his level, but for the right price I believe he would be a better option than Vidic at this time.

I would imagine there was a few transfer targets that either eluded Van Gaal or were pencilled in to keep monitoring, and maybe we could go for that in January?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Struggled exactly in that role for Inter.

Yep, you would have to be working on the assumption he has just found it tough to settle in Italy and discount his performances, rather then his ability being gone, why else would he be signed like :)

He wouldn't be signed on form anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

I'm not actually too concerned with our defensive issues. I think we've enough strength there and with certain players getting more games under their belt I believe we'll be fine.

I'd be more concerned at the moment with the lack of creativity in our game. Despite the attacking quality we have we don't seem to be creating a whole lot.

I think Moussa Sissoko (sp) from Newcastle would be a good signing. He's strong, powerful with and without the ball, works hard, arrives late in the box and grabs a few goals. This is the type of player I think would be a great addition to the squad.

Sissoko is worse than Fellaini. Might as well just recall tc23 then.

We aren't creating that much because of the defense. We can't go all attacking when our defense is 2 wingers and a youth teamer only playing becuasing everyone is injured.

You need to sort out the back before you can build forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Fellaini has been our best outfield player this season and people still say they want him gone and he's "Not United Standard"

To those people I ask, do you even watch the games? Cause it really doesn't seem like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fellaini has been our best outfield player this season

That's not true.

He's been better than expected but definitely not out outfield player of the season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    That's not true.

He's been better than expected but definitely not out outfield player of the season.
    ....... Yes he has.

No matter how much you let your hatred take over facts, you will be still be wrong.
    He may not be the best next month. But he has been the best so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don't think Carrick is overrated or underrated in general.

Most can see his advantages and disadvantages and what he brings to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Fellaini has been our best outfield player this season and people still say they want him gone and he's "Not United Standard"

To those people I ask, do you even watch the games? Cause it really doesn't seem like it.

Christ on a bike! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Fellaini has been in good form but was found out away from Southampton, a central midfielder needs to be able to take the ball and pass it and slow the game down away from home when it matters. No problems at old trafford. LVG philosophy is to hold onto the ball and Fellaini cant do that, thats why he will be sold when LVG gets more of his midfielders in.

• Advertisement

I'd like Fellaini and Carrick to stay. Both are potential game changers. Just not as first teamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

RobertKK wrote: »

Silly season...

The run of wins is great but I don't think even the most optimistic fans would claim that recent performances are anywhere near good enough for us to be spoken of as genuine title contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Nolars wrote: »
    Fellaini has been in good form but was found out away from Southampton, a central midfielder needs to be able to take the ball and pass it and slow the game down away from home when it matters. No problems at old trafford. LVG philosophy is to hold onto the ball and Fellaini cant do that, thats why he will be sold when LVG gets more of his midfielders in.

Rooney was crap and couldn't keep possession at Southampton, was he found out? should we get rid of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

....... Yes he has.

No matter how much you let your hatred take over facts

The facts?
    Well he's only started 7 league games, that's less than half our games so far.

Not sure how you can say he's our best outfield player. Rooney would be my pick so far after De Gea followed by Di Maria and Blind.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Anyone judging players after Southampton are silly tbh. I honestly think it was purely down to the system. I don't think any player looks 100% comfortable in it. We've played our best with the 442 diamond/4312 this season I think and I hope LVG reverts back to it and stays with it.

The facts?

Not sure how you can say he's our best outfield player. Rooney would be my pick so far after De Gea followed by Di Maria and Blind.

Di Maria has been very ordinary since his first few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Rooney was crap and couldn't keep possession at Southampton, was he found out? should we get rid of him?

No because Rooney is decent at passing. Fellaini isn't a passing midfielder he is known for being strong and good in the air.

Nolars wrote: »
    No because Rooney is decent at passing. Fellaini isn't a passing midfielder he is known for being strong and good in the air.

His passing has been fine up until that game, he performs well when the team performs well. Oh and Rooney's short passing can be shockingly poor at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Di Maria has been very ordinary since his first few games.

Ya, he will come good but like Ozil last year he had an initial impact but will need time to settle in.

Sanchez has probably been the best import to the league so far this year.

• Advertisement

It's a toss up between Rooney and Fellaini for best outfield player, Fellaini was my MOTM for 3 or 4 games in a row recently, maybe more.

Obviously do Maria and Rooney are better than Rooney.

But Fellaini is playing better. That's the important bit people are forgetting.
    Fellaini had been the best player on the pitch for the last 4 games.

Sure, half the team are better than him. Dosent mean we have to keep beating him with a stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Funny how since Fellaini became first choice 5 points have been dropped... against City and Chelsea. That upturn of form in those 7 games must just be coincidence though. Compared to 10 against much weaker teams in the previous 7. I'm not counting the West Brom game either way in this and he only came on at HT in that.

I'm still sure it's just coincidence however.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Silly season...

The run of wins is great but I don't think even the most optimistic fans would claim that recent performances are anywhere near good enough for us to be spoken of as genuine title contenders.

We have a chance, but if I was LVG I would be spurring on the team by saying United have a chance of the title, focus on the game in hand, win it, ignore the table just concentrate on the game and see where it takes us.

United have come from further than 8 points down to win the league.
    I expect Strootman and a defender to be signed in January to help the push for the title.
    Odds say chelsea and man city finish above us, but we have quality so all we can do is wait and see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Obviously do Maria and Rooney are better than Rooney.

Obviously :pac:

DM_7 wrote: »
    Obviously :pac:

As jaun mata would say as he read my post.

Jajajajajajajaja puta de madre, tu cono.

I meant Fellaini.

• Advertisement

Anyone judging players after Southampton are silly tbh. I honestly think it was purely down to the system.

Oh come on, don't be making excuses for what were some disgraceful performances. The bloody system wasn't causing Felliani to pass the ball directly to Southampton players or making Mata do sweet fuck all the entire time he was on the field.

Its far too easy to blame systems or credit philosophies but football is still a simple game in many ways. The people most to blame for the Southampton performance were the headless chickens on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

The facts?

Do you understand the term outfield? Evidently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Just on the system, I do think it's partly an issue, but more so due to the players currently in it. Take our wing backs at the minute. Their job is to both create and defend. We have Valencia on the right who, while somewhat solid defensively, creates very very little. Then on the other side we have Young, who is better attacking wise (though a bit predictable and just as prone to awful crossing) but weaker at defending.

Essentially we have 2 guys playing in a position that they can only 'do a job' in. So in that sense the system doesn't work because the current players don't suit it.

That said, I'm not a fan at all of three at the back. Just a different take on the whole 'the system doesn't work' idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Fellaini's performance last Monday night was possibly the worst performance I have ever seen by a premiership footballer..he never has a 'decent' game-he's either imperious or atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Oh come on, don't be making excuses for what were some disgraceful performances. The bloody system wasn't causing Felliani to pass the ball directly to Southampton players or making Mata do sweet fuck all the entire time he was on the field.

Its far too easy to blame systems or credit philosophies but football is still a simple game in many ways. The people most to blame for the Southampton performance were the headless chickens on the field.

Yeah there were some shocking performances, from basically everyone bar Van Persie and De Gea. The system makes them uncomfortable in their roles, causing the mistakes, imo ofcourse. Along with the pressing Southampton's midfield did on ours, which like you said, was Fellaini and Mata, a truly awful partnership. Mata's not even close to ever being a CM.
    When does he do much though? Really love the guy but patience is kinda growing thin. He really looks a shadow of the player he was at Chelsea. Sadly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Do you understand the term outfield? Evidently not.

Wut?

Do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fellaini is a good standard premier league midfielder in general, for a top 4 team he is an adequate option to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Fellaini great for a few games not a word, he has a bad game and the usual suspects are out with the usual he is crap.

He has done more than any of out other midfielders this season.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Fellaini great for a few games not a word, he has a bad game and the usual suspects are out with the usual he is crap.

I don't think anybody would say otherwise, and I'm happy that he has stepped up as a viable option. Hopefully he continues to play well.

But being the best of a bad bunch still doesn't make him a great midfielder. A United midfield of Carrick and Felliani is not good enough, hopefully we can continue to get quality in to the point where Felliani becomes a good squad option but we aren't relying on him to win us the big, big games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Nuts102 wrote: »

He's not crap- he's like a box of chocolates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Fellaini's performance last Monday night was possibly the worst performance I have ever seen by a premiership footballer..he never has a 'decent' game-he's either imperious or atrocious.

Either you've only ever watched like six games of PL football in your life or you're absolutely talking out of your gowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ali Dia says hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I can say without any doubt whatsoever, you have not seen too many performances by premiership footballers.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Either you've only ever watched like six games of PL football in your life or you're absolutely talking out of your gowl.

What?

Ah here, he isnt my clone account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

B4nAR6SCYAAHWuM.jpg

Dear God please be true ..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement