Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just found this, http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/pep-guardiola-i-could-see-myself-managing-manchester-united-one-day-9797074.html

Seems to be all coming from his book. Few papers are running with it in the morning it seems.

He says he detests tiky taky and it serves no purpose? Bit of a turnaround eh

Considering he had earned millions by the time his United career ended. It would be almost impossible for him not to be set up for life by the time he left.

He earned well during his time at United, not as well as some but he earned plenty, you have to take into account the lifestyle then too and other expenses, you are not simply living off a couple of grand a week and saving the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Having read the book myself I don't know how you came to the conclusion he's obsessed with money.
    He came to the realisation that the days of big paydays were over and he still needed to provide for his family.
    He left Fergusons office after been told he was being let go without finalising any payoff from the club and while at Sunderland he had to double check his contract to see what the promotion bonus was.
    It's well known he's fairly generous to local charities in Cork and Manchester and seems to look after his extended family as well.
    Hardly money obsessed

He does seem to mention money quite a bit, and it is a big part of the job. I wouldnt say he's money obsessed, but he's certainly money aware.

Paying for the corporate box in the millennium stadium for the Wales Aus game wouldnt have been cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Kirby wrote: »
    You would think that but some people like spending it as much as they like earning it.

Reading Keane's autobiography really highlighted how obsessed he is with money and that he still has to work.....not because he wants to but because he needs to. He doesn't have millions in the bank like you would assume.

O'Shea seems like a more sensible chap but nothing a footballer says or does would surprise me at this stage.

roy keane is one of the richest managers in the premier league!!

he made millions alone when the glazers bought United

bangkok wrote: »
    roy keane is one of the richest managers in the premier league!!

he made millions alone when the glazers bought United

Don't know where the suggestion he made million alone when the Glazers bought the club came from, he said he had shares in the club as part of his contract so the take over was worth a few bob to him, I doubt it was in the millions of pounds though.

He is not money obsessed though, he is money aware if that makes sense, he has a large family and he has financial commitments and knows the days of the big pay days and earnings hundreds of thousands a month are gone. He won't ever be in the poor house but he does have to look after his money and continue to find work.

He references this stuff in the book, the cutting back on holidays and stuff...its not like he is going to struggle financially but he is aware he needs to be a bit more prudent with his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kryogen wrote: »
    He says he detests tiky taky and it serves no purpose? Bit of a turnaround eh

Jose & Pep in the EPL?

By the time LVG's contract is up we could have the likes of Pep,Klopp even Jose ready to step in.What about LVG hinting at training up Giggs for the role though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

zerks wrote: »
    Jose & Pep in the EPL?

By the time LVG's contract is up we could have the likes of Pep,Klopp even Jose ready to step in.What about LVG hinting at training up Giggs for the role though?

I'd want Giggs to go prove himself away from the club before getting the reins.

I'd want Giggs to go prove himself away from the club before getting the reins.

That's my thinking aswell.I know it was only a couple of games but he showed nothing that'd give me faith in seeing him as manager.

Don't know where the suggestion he made million alone when the Glazers bought the club came from, he said he had shares in the club as part of his contract so the take over was worth a few bob to him, I doubt it was in the millions of pounds though.

He is not money obsessed though, he is money aware if that makes sense, he has a large family and he has financial commitments and knows the days of the big pay days and earnings hundreds of thousands a month are gone. He won't ever be in the poor house but he does have to look after his money and continue to find work.

He references this stuff in the book, the cutting back on holidays and stuff...its not like he is going to struggle financially but he is aware he needs to be a bit more prudent with his money.

the "few bob" keane talks about is def in the millions. He was club captain, if he was given 2% shares in the club and the glazers bought united for 790m, that's 15.8m into keanes back pocket. He was also the highest paid player in the league for years. don't be fooled. keane could easily retire now from everything and live comfortably for the rest of his life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

the "few bob" keane talks about is def in the millions. He was club captain, if he was given 2% shares in the club and the glazers bought united for 790m, that's 15.8m into keanes back pocket. He was also the highest paid player in the league for years. don't be fooled. keane could easily retire now from everything and live comfortably for the rest of his life

I really doubt that Keane owned 2% of United. I've no basis for this other than the fact that it's a very large amount for a guy that was on 50k a week at his peak.

• Advertisement

Yeah, there is no way Roy Keane owned 2% of the club.

Fooled? I have literally just said in the post you quoted he isn't going to struggle financially or anything like that.

For the record, he would most likely have an amount of shares in the club, few thousand? Who knows, and since the Glazers paid £3per share, or 300 pence to use the correct term he would have done alright out of it, "a few bob" if you will. There was around 260,000,000 shares to be bought.

Lines of thinking like yours genuinely confuse the ****e out of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I really doubt that Keane owned 2% of United. I've no basis for this other than the fact that it's a very large amount for a guy that was on 50k a week at his peak.

90k I think it was.

Either way he should have a very healthy pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

padd b1975 wrote: »
    90k I think it was.

Either way he should have a very healthy pension.

Did he end up on that much? I remember him getting sone kind of pay increase when RVN got one. There was stories that he had something in his contract that stipulates that he had to be paid the same as the highest earner at the club.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Premier League almost back!

Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

So what are people hoping for from the next 3 games? Beat west brom and 4 pts from City & Chelsea? Best possible scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

the "few bob" keane talks about is def in the millions. He was club captain, if he was given 2% shares in the club and the glazers bought united for 790m, that's 15.8m into keanes back pocket.

If Roy Keane was given 2% of Manchester United I'll eat the first hat I see.

Did he end up on that much? I remember him getting sone kind of pay increase when RVN got one. There was stories that he had something in his contract that stipulates that he had to be paid the same as the highest earner at the club.

and don't forget he was still getting paid by utd even after he left in November right up until his contract expired in the summer, that was an extra 2-3m and his testimonial would have given him probably 2-4m. club car, house paid for, probably a few more properties around the world, easy 25-50k everytime he went on tv as a pundit and now 2 pay cheques coming in every month from ireland and aston villa and probably his 1 or 2 million he will make from his latest book and then personal apperances on top of that. Life is tough at the top!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Ah here, there's no way Keane had anything like 2% of the club - where are you getting that from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

International break has made the (in recent weeks) lesser spotted crazy Bangkok run wild again.

Dont forget any investments and interest earned as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

No chance Keane had 2% of United.

0.2% maybe.

My understanding is that he was on £100k a week when he signed his biggest contract.

He's probably very wealthy but like everyone he probably lost money in the financial crisis.

And with yields as low as they are right now, it's tough to generate income.

1st world problems for sure but he's not Roman Abramovich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

and don't forget he was still getting paid by utd even after he left in November right up until his contract expired in the summer, that was an extra 2-3m and his testimonial would have given him probably 2-4m. club car, house paid for, probably a few more properties around the world, easy 25-50k everytime he went on tv as a pundit and now 2 pay cheques coming in every month from ireland and aston villa and probably his 1 or 2 million he will make from his latest book and then personal apperances on top of that. Life is tough at the top!!

I hope Keanes accountant is as knowledgeable about Keanes finances as you are.
    Jesus, I hope Keane is as knowledgeable as you are.

I hope Keanes accountant is as knowledgeable about Keanes finances as you are.
    Jesus, I hope Keane is as knowledgeable as you are.

well he says about all of the above in his book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

well he says about all of the above in his book

No he doesn't and he isn't getting 50k for being on the tele.

RasTa wrote: »
    No he doesn't and he isn't getting 50k for being on the tele.

I said 25-50k

• Advertisement

There is nothing wrong with him wanting to work all the jobs in the world. maybe he wants to? Maybe he will be bored sinced he has been woking for 30 years, maybe he is used to it and wants to get up and write a book because he knows poeple will enjoy it, maybe he wants to give analysis on games, because he enjoys it. Sure he gets money as well. No harm.

Sure, he could retire and life off his money but why should he? Stop begruding him for wanting to work.

Why did SAF retire at 65 and just get a pension? youre having a stupid arguement about a 40 odd year old wanting to work, being unemployed is boring.

There is nothing wrong with him wanting to work all the jobs in the world. maybe he wants to? Maybe he will be bored sinced he has been woking for 30 years, maybe he is used to it and wants to get up and write a book because he knows poeple will enjoy it, maybe he wants to give analysis on games, because he enjoys it. Sure he gets money as well. No harm.

Sure, he could retire and life off his money but why should he? Stop begruding him for wanting to work.

Why did SAF retire at 65 and just get a pension? youre having a stupid arguement about a 40 odd year old wanting to work, being unemployed is boring.

I have no problem with him wanting to work but like a lot of footballers he seems to be obsessed with money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Premier League almost back!

Yay!

ole ole ole ole John O Sheaaaaaaaaaaaa, John O Sheaaaaaaaaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I have no problem with him wanting to work but like a lot of footballers he seems to be obsessed with money.

Keane gave a lot to the game, and as much as I was sick of his beard and his book talk I hope he grabs as much moola as he can from tv and the likes... nothing wrong about being obsessed with money if you're earning it fairly and legally and you have a family

Fine. Insert any other 'obsessed with money footballer'.

You're being awfully niaive. Sure they might have a few million in assets but they still need to work for their sanity and children's future.

• Advertisement

I'm obsessed with earning money, what does that make me?

Probably fairly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Jesus lads everyone wants to earn big money. Nothing wrong with that. Nobody here is saying Keane will struggle to make ends meet. Surely we can all agree that he's just being sensible with his money now? It's a short career and regardless of how much he was on it wasn't a bottomless pit. He has a family to think of too. He'd want to have a decent amount there for them in the future.

Also 2% of the club? You have to be kidding me.

I'm obsessed with earning money, what does that make me?

Probably fairly normal.

im getting out of this argument. the whole original point was someone said keane needs to work as he didn't have much money and I said he was one of the highest earning players/managers in premier league

im getting out of this argument. the whole original point was someone said keane needs to work as he didn't have much money and I said he was one of the highest earning players/managers in premier league

Cool, see you around bbz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Just come to the realisation that I'm now an old man, how you ask ? Well anytime i see a poster beginning a post with the words "well on football manager it says he's........" i just stop reading and move on to the next post. Murtagh was right i am too old for that sh1t !!!!

Just come to the realisation that I'm now an old man, how you ask ? Well anytime i see a poster beginning a post with the words "well on football manager it says he's........" i just stop reading and move on to the next post. Murtagh was right i am too old for that sh1t !!!!

Youre definetely getting old, because I have never read that here.

Also, FM can be a useful base to get an idea of a player, the company who does the stats etc are getting emplyed by PL teams for scouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That was the figure that was doing the rounds when he signed his last big contract at the club.

You may recall there was long drawn out negotiations beforehand because of the club's pay ceiling at the time.

There was such relief at the time that he had signed there was an announcement made before a Champions League match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If you were a teen dad you could be my father. And I'm nearly 30. That's much more telling imo. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ancelotti taking care of his job at Real Madrid, he basically said Di Maria was too greedy and they couldn't change their wage structure for one player plus couldn't afford to keep him.
    cough...Ronaldo...cough, persistent cough here, Bale....

Di Maria was said to be on anything from €3 million to €5 million a year. Rodriguez his replacement is reported to be on €7 million a season.

Deluded in Madrid, but at least it benefitted us.

It's refreshing to see that for once, we've benefited from Real Madrid's folly.

It's just a shame we didn't do the same when they were selling Robben & Sneidjer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Youre definetely getting old, because I have never read that here.

Also, FM can be a useful base to get an idea of a player, the company who does the stats etc are getting emplyed by PL teams for scouting.

You can't convince me, I'm ok with getting old. You may be getting on yourself though as I've seen plenty of posters quoting FM in their arguments. Id get those eyes looked at if i were you :-)

• Advertisement

Nobody said that.

This is an example of whats wrong with this place, utter bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone here going to West Brom game?

You can't convince me, I'm ok with getting old. You may be getting on yourself though as I've seen plenty of posters quoting FM in their arguments. Id get those eyes looked at if i were you :-)
    Ah there was last week when people were joking about it from the #10 arguement.

But i rarely would see it being taken literally. It is good good though if you have no idea who a player is and the stats can be relatively in line, its just a game.

I want to play it now.

Nobody said that.

This is an example of whats wrong with this place, utter bull****.

He said he was out of the arguement, he wins, we lose.

Dems the rules.

He said he was out of the arguement, he wins, we lose.

Dems the rules.

He can be out of it if he likes, he is still lying about why he was in it in the first place. Double win?

I reckon O Shea will go into management/coaching when he finished playing.

Reckon he could be good one too. Seems a shrewd buck.

Be shocked if he goes into management, I wouldnt be surprised to see him take up coaching though

Just on Keane and his finance.

Its anyone guess as to what he might have, but I don't think it was because he lost money in financial crisis.

His Parents, Brothers and Sisters were well looked after by Keane. His parents house is a beauty in lovely spot just outside the City.

He took care of his friends too.

Would not worry too much anyway fear of his hole he has 4 cars for God sake:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The fact that Keane specifically talks in his book about sitting the family down and saying they'll have to make cut backs after he retired, coupled with his recollection of the various sums he was paid in his different contracts etc suggests that he is quiet financially aware.

I doubt he's struggling for a few quid, however he's no doubt aware that his earning potential has reduced dramatically and should he end up out the game, his accumulated wealth will have to sustain him for his life time. He might have £5m in the bank now, but that's only £125k p/a (forgetting interest) for the next forty years should he stay out of football. £125k p/a, while decent, may not cover the lifestyle he had become accustomed to providing for him and his family

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The fact that Keane specifically talks in his book about sitting the family down and saying they'll have to make cut backs after he retired, coupled with his recollection of the various sums he was paid in his different contracts etc suggests that he is quiet financially aware.

I doubt he's struggling for a few quid, however he's no doubt aware that his earning potential has reduced dramatically and should he end up out the game, his accumulated wealth will have to sustain him for his life time. He might have £5m in the bank now, but that's only £125k p/a (forgetting interest) for the next forty years should he stay out of football. £125k p/a, while decent, may not cover the lifestyle he had become accustomed to providing for him and his family

all ifs and buts, the likes of roy keane wtc will never end up out of the game. currently earning 600k a year from the Ireland job and what ever else he is earning at villa, his income for this year alone will be over 1m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement