Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

A player who averages €50K a week for 10 years will have earned €25m. If you can't live on that for the rest of you life then it doesn't matter if you earn €250m cause you'll end up blowing it all anyway.

Very niaive way of looking at it.

Don't forget tax and their own cost of living.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ordinary rich people pay very little actual tax thanks to very clever accountants. I doubt footballers do any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There not really anything naive in claiming that a man can set himself up for life on a mere £25 million. Just because the odd muppet could spend that amount in one night doesn't make it any less true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Ordinary rich people pay very little actual tax thanks to very clever accountants. I doubt footballers do any different.

They are stil PAYE earners (or the UK equivalent) and not as easy to "avoid" tax when you are drawing a salary.

I remember somebody Leaked Riise's pay slip when he was at Liverpool and he was making full tax contributions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

There not really anything naive in claiming that a man can set himself up for life on a mere £25 million. Just because the odd muppet could spend that amount in one night doesn't make it any less true.

Ah yeah of course he should have a few million in the bank. A few million invested in funds.

But I wouldn't begrudge someone fr moving because of money. It's a short career and a longer life. This 20 odd million earned over 10 years is a player at the very top so isn't comparable to an average decent player moving for more money, say Welbeck to arsenal for more money

But I agree the top players won't be find it tough. But there is a life after the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Come home to find Sky saying DiMaria is out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

4 players injured according to Van Gaal.

Di Maria
    Smalling
    Shaw
    Blind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Come home to find Sky saying DiMaria is out :(

ADM, Shaw, Smalling and Blind are our only injuries now though according to Louis unless I misheard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hopefully Jones and Raf are fit so Rojo can go to LB and Young and Valencia are nowhere near the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Liam O wrote: »
    Hopefully Jones and Raf are fit so Rojo can go to LB and Young and Valencia are nowhere near the team.

Rafael, Jones, Evans, Rojo?
    I'd be concerned about match sharpness with that back line.

• Advertisement

Van Persie laughing at what the paper says about him and how they put it down to his age. He says he always was a bit slow getting back to form after a World Cup.
    Says he lives a quiet life for his football.

He looks so positive right now.

I would play RVP up front with Falcao on Sunday with Rooney behind. Goals guaranteed.

De Gea
    Rafael---Evans---Rojo---Young
    Carrick
    ----Herrera/Mata---Fellaini

Rooney

Van Persie----Falcao---

4-3-3

I'm kind of leaning towards Herrera over Mata.

LVG says the cook tells him all the stuff about United as he is a big fan of United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

RobertKK wrote: »

De Gea
    Rafael---Evans---Rojo---Young
    Carrick
    ----Herrera/Mata---Fellaini

Rooney

Van Persie----Falcao---

4-3-3

I'm kind of leaning towards Herrera over Mata.

Mata would be gash in CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

kryogen wrote: »
    It wasn't quite like that, Atletico didn't want to lose him. He is not English though, he is not a local lad, he is Spanish and Real Madrid hold a huge sway with Latin players as it is, to play for the most famous team in the world must be quite the pull for Spaniards and if the opportunity comes I am sure it is almost impossible to turn down tbh regardless of who you grew up supporting or playing for,Raul was an Atletico product also really. He may feel an affinity to United for showing such faith and giving him the chance so young, also to help to make him the keeper he is becoming, but that is not enough for him to stay for life if he feels strongly enough about returning to Spain. Look at Ronaldo, he came as a kid, loved the manager, the club the fans, he became the best player in the world at this club but he loved another one more. Its football

A goalkeepers career can be very long and there is no rush in terms of De Gea going back to spain if that is what he wants, we can get another 6 years out of him and he will still be able to go back there and play for another 10 years potentially. Just tie him down now to put any doubts out the way right now and see how the situation develops over the years

Raul wasn't an Atletico product, he didn't spend most of his youth career with Atletico or even start off with them. De Gea did and also played a few seasons with the seniors. Few players have played for both teams and even fewer played for Atletico first so I wouldn't discount the Madrid rivalry as a deterrent to moving.

I think De Gea refusing to rule out a move to Real in the future is more to do with him using it as leverage to get a better contract. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him say he had no intention of moving to Real once a new contract is signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We would also have Barca sniffing around too.

I think we will eventually lose him down the road if he continues the way he is, but I reckon he will be at OT for few years yet.

We would also have Barca sniffing around too.

I think we will eventually lose him down the road if he continues the way he is, but I reckon he will be at OT for few years yet.

Ya I think Barca is the most likely destination for him in the future. Hopefully the fact that have a decent enough keeper at the moment will keep them away for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Don't understand people wanting Falcao to start Sunday. He was all over the place against Stoke, he needs match fitness but i couldn't start him in such a high intensity game like Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

RichFTW wrote: »
    Ya I think Barca is the most likely destination for him in the future. Hopefully the fact that have a decent enough keeper at the moment will keep them away for now.

Bravo is good enough for them in the here and now and Ter Stegen is going to be groomed over the next year or 2 I thought and he's very young.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Don't understand people wanting Falcao to start Sunday. He was all over the place against Stoke, he needs match fitness but i couldn't start him in such a high intensity game like Sunday.

He should have all the training needed to get back and be able to play at least an hour, no point in us having him if afraid to use him.
    I don't believe liverpool will cope with our firepower. Would rather start with Falcao and then later in the match take him off for Mata, and move Rooney to partner RVP

Liam O wrote: »
    Bravo is good enough for them in the here and now and Ter Stegen is going to be groomed over the next year or 2 I thought and he's very young.

Ya I think Bravo has already set the Barcelona clean sheets in a row record already. Stegan looks a good prospect but you never know if he will turn out to be as good as De Gea. I still think he would be more likely to move to Barca or even Atletico if they are still competitive in the future rather than Real given his Atletico past. Could be completely wrong but sure time will tell. As long as we get another few years out of him, I'll be happy anyway.

Ye confident about Sunday?

Personally, I don't think we will get beat. Draw would not suprise me, and I would not be too disappointed with point, but if we are really want push on a win would be very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Personally, I don't think we will get beat. Draw would not suprise me, and I would not be too disappointed with point, but if we are really want push on a win would be very nice indeed.

I think we'll get the win but I'd love to see us thrash them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Think we'll win 3-1, Falcao to come on and blitz them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If we lose it would be very, very bad for us considering the state Liverpool are in at the moment, particularly in terms of attacking options. In the past, Liverpool have had serious joy at Old Trafford based on Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge giving our defence all sorts of problems, but that shouldn't happen this time.

If we win, we are in great shape going into the new year and hopefully putting our injuries behind us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would be very disappointed with anything but a win; the form we're in vs the form Liverpool are in, we should be beating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Balotelli will score. It is known.

I have never been so confident of beating them i would be very surprised if we don't beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

1-1 draw on Sunday :( It's just fúcking typical that Liverpool will play properly for the only time this season and pull out a performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I'd really love if Falcao came on to score. A goal in such a big game might just be the thing to get him going properly, providing he has an injury-free run.

All known form points to a Utd win, but this is Liverpool so fcuk knows what will happen. It'd be typical for them to play like world beaters on Sunday but we really should be winning this. We're due a convincing win over them but I'll take a win whatever way it comes.

• Advertisement

Ya a thrashing be nice, but a goal of Rooney's big booty for 1-0 will do me fine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Also expecting a win on Sunday,wont be easy as Pool are bound to raise their game,should have too much firepower for them though,get the win to keep the show on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

May have been shared already but love the attitude from Rojo. http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/United-Uncovered/News/2014/Dec/Issue-97/Marcos-Rojo-exclusive-interview.aspx?utm_source=UU20141212&utm_medium=email&utm_content=CI&utm_campaign=newsletters&qsut=www10&pageNo=1

I think this positive attitude is shared by the group under Van Gaal. Lets play til the end of the season and see where we finish up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Think we'll win 3-1, Falcao to come on and blitz them.

Before every game, someone says that about falcao and it never happens. Hopefully Im wrong this time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Before every game, someone says that about falcao and it never happens. Hopefully Im wrong this time

He scored against one merseyside team why not the other ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Falcao to score 4 and United to win by 11

Though I do expect a close game.

Well in fairness how many games has Falcao actually came on in. Mad to think arguably one of the best strikers in the world still didn't get involved yet this season hope its soon. But delighted RVP is coming back to his best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nuts102 wrote: »
    But delighted RVP is coming back to his best.

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Have to say, I'm loving the good wife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

<_<

>_>

Match thread still locked...

>.<

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Eh?

Coming back to his best may be premature but the last two games he has been his old self in front of goal and i can only see him going on a good run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Di Maria is out according to Sky sports :-(

Once I dont see the dreaded 3-5-2 tomorrow I be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Raging, I just presumed that as it's a big game it would be on at 4.

Burd is a massive dope for Christmas so a few months ago she booked tickets to see The Snownan in the Bord Gais, it just so happens it's on at half 2 tomorrow.

Fcuk Christmas and the Snowman.

Expecting to give them a trouncing, gonna go 4-1 United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Once I dont see the dreaded 3-5-2 tomorrow I be happy

5-2 would do.;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Burd is a massive dope for Christmas so a few months ago she booked tickets to see The Snownan in the Bord Gais, it just so happens it's on at half 2 tomorrow.

4pm is too late for this fixture. I'd say the police would even prefer 11.30am kick off

Enjoy the Snowman. I won't ruin the ending for you.

The joys of Xmas,a buddy of mine has officially given up his man card.No football at all for him again this weekend as he's been ordered to attend a 7yr old girls birthday party & then go shopping tomorrow.

I'd like to thank my missus who arranged a visit to Santa with the kids for this evening instead of tomorrow so I can see the Liverpool game,although she knows by now that United games are priority.

Single and self employed, I make my own timetable unless something huge is happening.
    Got to watch all games including pre season live so far.
    Aim is to watch every match live this season.

I think we will play 4-3-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Rub it in RobertKK why don't you! I think it's a real shame Falcao hasnt worked out so far. I hope he can get fit and give it a proper go. Mata was poor last week which is a worry.

• Advertisement

Rumours that Wilson will start tomorrow,can't see it happening as RVP scored 2 in the last game & Rooney won't be dropped for a young fella.
    No Di Maria is a bummer,would have loved to see him running at Liverpool's defence while Johnson goes missing behind him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement