Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Mata has a goal not far off every second start for United in the league since he's joined

Not many strikers even have that kind of prolificness
    He was very good today - his movement for the 2nd and 3rd goals was excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

irishfeen wrote: »
    He was very good today - his movement for the 2nd and 3rd goals was excellent.

I thought he was actually pretty anonymous for large parts of the game, can't argue with a goal and assist though!

Any injury updates for Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Di Maria & Rafael ladies and gents? .. Imagine what a fully fit squad could do for us..

irishfeen wrote: »
    Any injury updates for Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Di Maria & Rafael ladies and gents? .. Imagine what a fully fit squad could do for us..

Ironically the most depressing post of the day.......no idea and LVG has been keeping it on the down low.
    A full squad coming into the end of December would be awesome

btw No hard feelings feen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A fully fit squad is the impossible dream my friend, don't tease yourself.

kryogen wrote: »
    A fully fit squad is the impossible dream my friend, don't tease yourself.
    It does seem that way doesn't it - id love a proper fit back 4 to play 5 or 6 games on the trot to shore things up. We still not actually playing well which will have the top two feeling slightly uneasy if we keep the winning run going :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Villa have lost to Spurs, Chelsea, City, Everton and Arsenal

Conceded 13 scored 1, we need to get another win here and improve our away form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Just adding to the circle jerk today (I may or may not have drank too much in celebration and passed out until now)

"Wayne Rooney has scored (66) or assisted (28) 94 goals in his last 100 league games at Old Trafford"
    What a hero

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Just adding to the circle jerk today (I may or may not have drank too much in celebration and passed out until now)

"Wayne Rooney has scored (66) or assisted (28) 94 goals in his last 100 league games at Old Trafford"
    What a hero

Nah...For a professional taking home 300k a week he is badly out of shape, he is a big fish in a small pond in terms of English players, he has held the club to ransom on a whim, he has final say in all transfer negotiations, he is NOT United captain material, he single-handedly disappeared Flight MH370 and was Patient Zero in the current Ebola epidemic in West Africa, am I forgetting anything? Is anyone still reading??:o

United Legend is what he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I like this picture

_79722952_475ade42-685b-4909-8f07-a9bf0f812be6.jpg

I like this picture

_79722952_475ade42-685b-4909-8f07-a9bf0f812be6.jpg

I like that picture too, mostly cause it made me think of this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I like that picture too, mostly cause it made me think of this :)

Great movie!

Put the bunny back in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hilarious post from the caf by Alex99

As much as I'd love him to stay at Liverpool, I'm struggling to see the "he's a good manager" argument, in all honesty. Last season very much seemed like the exception, rather than the rule.

Started his career at Watford, taking over a team that had finished in the Championship play-offs the season before from 21st at the time of taking over (November) to er...22nd by the end of January. Then, given that they didn't sign anyone, it appears the team that finished 6th the year before remembered they weren't quite **** enough to get relegated and managed a comfortable mid-table finish.

Following his "success" at keeping almost-promoted-the-year-before Watford up, he took the Reading seat after Steve Coppell's departure. Recently relegated from the Premier League, Reading were hardly looking likely contenders for relegation. But Brentan had other ideas, steering the side to 21st by mid-December. They finished 9th after he left.

Swansea, who missed out on the play-offs by a single point the season before Rodgers' arrival, hired Brentan to continue their charge up the English league system. Guided by Brentan, who was praised for implementing an eerily similar style of play to predecessor, Roberto Martinez (Paulo Sousa doesn't count), Swansea managed to secure a place in the play-offs, and subsequently winning a place in the Premier League. Swansea then continued playing the Brendan-Rodgers-and-definitely-not-Roberto-Martinez influenced style of passing football, and managed a respectable 11th placed finish in their first season in the top flight.

As Swansea didn't quite match his ambition, Brentan then moved North, to the sunbeds of Liverpool. A team still in transition after 20 years and 7 managers since their last league win, Rodgers, #8, was going to be the man to complete their transition. New owners, money to spend, new ambition, a tried and tested (and definitely not commonplace) style of football - things were looking up for Liverpool. After a couple of season of mid-table mediocrity that had seen the previous three managers sacked, Brendan led Liverpool to 7th, one place higher than they'd finished the year before.

All was not lost though because Brendan was still in a job, and he'd come up with a new style of football that involved going **** or bust for an hour and hoping you'd scored enough for your inevitable end of game collapse to not matter. This saw Liverpool finish an unprecedented 2nd, narrowly missing out on the title after teams realised not giving them space and/or scoring 3 in the last half hour at Selhurst Park were ample tactics to halt the Liverpool charge. With the fans furiously denying that their bolt from the blue title charge was at all related to a lack of European football, Luis Suarez being one of the best players in the world, Daniel Sturridge miraculously not being injured every game, David Moyes existing, Chelsea and City also getting new managers, Spurs sacking theirs part way through the season and replacing him with a PE teacher, and Arsenal being Arsenal, it was clear that Liverpool were ready for a second stab at the long awaited 19th title.

There was a twist in the tale, with Liverpool's star man, the racist rat-face with rabies, Luis Suarez, was leaving for Barcelona. Liverpool weren't a one man team though, and in the 5 transfer windows leading up to the 2014-15 season, Brentan had spent over £200 million bringing in a squad of average wingers and strikers to cope with the departure. It turns out that overpaying for a couple of ****e defenders and a crap keeper doesn't solve defensive woes though, and Liverpool now find themselves languishing in 10th, 2 points ahead of Stoke, and that team from Birmingham that didn't score for an entire month.

I don't mind posting such things if it seems petty, I tried to be nice to the posters here in thier thread last season wishing them luck in the title race and they started ripping the piss out of me, so now its even sweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

A sweet victory - any day you beat them its sweet. Nice to win it coming into the Christmas as well - and I agree that we were the better side.
    But I'm still concerned about the number of chances we coughed up. Johnny Evans has never filled me with confidence - he's very quick to screw his face up and blame others but that ball he played for Sterling was criminal. Liverpool had their chances but not like the ones we created. Toni was very solid all day and RVP is back to his old self and Carrick was sublime at times. They could go on a bit of a run now and try and claw the gap back even further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

kstand wrote: »
    A sweet victory - any day you beat them its sweet. Nice to win it coming into the Christmas as well - and I agree that we were the better side.
    But I'm still concerned about the number of chances we coughed up. Johnny Evans has never filled me with confidence - he's very quick to screw his face up and blame others but that ball he played for Sterling was criminal. Liverpool had their chances but not like the ones we created. Toni was very solid all day and RVP is back to his old self and Carrick was sublime at times. They could go on a bit of a run now and try and claw the gap back even further.

I thought Carrick played a significant part in that ball getting to Sterling; it was a poor pass from Evans but he most likely would have got it had he not stood and watched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

nuxxx wrote: »

I tried to be nice to the posters here in thier thread last season wishing them luck in the title race and they started ripping the piss out of me, so now its even sweeter

I'm sorry, but typing that sentence as an adult is embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Also, it's a bit rich to quote a post positing the lack of European football as one of the reasons for Liverpool's tilt last year, on this thread, where you could pretty much say the exact same thing for United this season, and their league position.

This tit-for-tat bollox has to stop, it's from the bleedin playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So the dust has settled after a splendid weekend, we have won 6 in a row when we were been written off after the first month, the most mind boggling thing is that we have done so while goin through an unprecedented injury crisis.

There is nothing too scary in the next run of games, there are a number of players to come back so I think we can give a bloody good crack at the title.

There are 23 games remaining and we are 8 points off the top.

Liverpool were 8 points off the top with 14 games remaining last season and should have won the league so those that are saying we havnt a hope should be wary.

Of course we would have to rely on a Chelsea capitulation which I can't really see coming but fookin hell, if we keep grinding results as we have been with a depleted squad, what are we capable of when we have a fully fit squad to pick from?

Interesting times ahead and you can bet your bottom dollar that Chelsea and City will be looking over their shoulders for the foreseeable.

Happy Monday bitches!!

:D

Breakfast this morning.....is a battle...it was worth it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just popping in to admit that I was wrong before with my opinion of De Gea. He's been excellent this season and is one of the top goalkeepers in the game. If he stays he'll be a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Anyone else love heading to work on a Monday morning after beating Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Lads where was Rojo yesterday?? Missed the prematch and didn't hear since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

macslash wrote: »

Got injured in training

macslash wrote: »

Picked up an injury in training, coincidence that Jones was back???

Who got the bonus points in FF for the game yesterday? Can't believe De Gea didn't get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Who got the bonus points in FF for the game yesterday? Can't believe De Gea didn't get any.

mata, van persie and valencia

mata, van persie and valencia

Yeah, just found a lad on Twitter there that does the bonus points. That's crazy.

Mata - 3
    RVP - 2
    Val - 1

92 points this week :D

Playmakers tend to get a good chunk of them this year due to the bonus point system being changed!

Mata - 3
    RVP - 2
    Val - 1

92 points this week :D

Playmakers tend to get a good chunk of them this year due to the bonus point system being changed!

I keep forgetting they changed it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

No bonus point for De Gea? Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Yeah, just found a lad on Twitter there that does the bonus points. That's crazy.

No it is not.

They've a set criteria for bonus points and he finished behind the 3 lads.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/

Thought the old system was better myself.

Not complaining though Heaton managed to pick up 3 bonus points for himself anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    No it is not.

They've a set criteria for bonus points and he finished behind the 3 lads.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/

Yeah, I already said I forgot about the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Yeah, I already said I forgot about the change.

The new system is actually more kinder to defenders than the old one.

Start work at 8.30 , 2 Liverpool fans I work with still aren't in. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lovely morning. Going be hectic day in work but days like today you don't care after win like yesterday.

While the performances have not been up to scratch, I feel confident going into most games.

Of those next 11 games(posted by zerks) I be disappointed if we can't get 8 wins. Expect a defeat along way, hopefully no more.

Hopefully yesterday though is the spark to really make players believe in a Top 3 season.

This year just gets better...

United are back, and all the talk is of a Galactico policy with similar money to be spent on the team as last Summer.
    We have a great manager who is use to coping with big jobs in the game, love his personal story and the strength of character he shows, it hasn't been plain sailing.
    Kilkenny won the hurling, shows the stars are aligning in the sports world and today to celebrate the win yesterday got myself some Taylor Swift tickets to celebrate.
    Moyes may have been trouble when he walked in and took us to places we've never been, but with Van Gaal everything has changed.

Lovely morning. Going be hectic day in work but days like today you don't care after win like yesterday.

While the performances have not been up to scratch, I feel confident going into most games.

Of those next 11 games(posted by zeros) I be disappointed if we can't get 8 wins. Expect a defeat along way, hopefully no more.

Hopefully yesterday though is the spark to really make players believe in a Top 3 season.

I know, it is like floating on air...then to think of the players to come back including Di Maria...

• Advertisement

It is easy to see Van Gaal's philosophy at work, as he said it is not just upto the defenders to defend or the attackers to attack.
    The team as a whole defend as a unit and in the same way the team attacks as a unit, in other words the defenders are also attackers and the attackers are also defenders.
    I think this has been clear to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RobertKK wrote: »
    I know, it is like floating on air...then to think of the players to come back including Di Maria...

Hopefully Di Maria comes back in full fitness.

He seemed tired before the injury.

A flying Di Maria and we be laughing

RobertKK wrote: »
    This year just gets better...

United are back, and all the talk is of a Galactico policy with similar money to be spent on the team as last Summer.
    We have a great manager who is use to coping with big jobs in the game, love his personal story and the strength of character he shows, it hasn't been plain sailing.
    Kilkenny won the hurling, shows the stars are aligning in the sports world and today to celebrate the win yesterday got myself some Taylor Swift tickets to celebrate.
    Moyes may have been trouble when he walked in and took us to places we've never been, but with Van Gaal everything has changed.

Are you..............are you Taylor Swift?

Are you..............are you Taylor Swift?

No I hadn't the sex change or the plastic surgery yet to be her double, but I would happily accept her bank account balance if she is giving it away. :P

She should have named her album 1999...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's easy going to office on monday morning on days like these. Missed them so much last season.

Here there are hardly any football fans but browsing becomes so painful if you have to skip all the pages of nonsense posted about the team you support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Work with a load of 'pool fans who all made the most of last season and although I felt sorry for them in the end their behavior nullified any sympathy I had. United had missed out narrowly on more than one occasion and and the mark of a truly great team is to pick themselves up and challenge again the following season even if you lose a great player.

Came into work this morning and piss*d them all off when they wondered why I was not gloating like them last season. My answer of

'why, was there a match the weekend?' apparently has not gone down well :P

Genuinely feel Van Gaal is about to set the club up with a solid base and a chance for a sustained glory period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Had some laugh listening to some youngfella arguing with a friend that Liverpool are ahead on aggregate when you take into account the games last season.

On another note how quick is Wilson. The time when he tracked back making Sterling look slow was unreal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's easy going to office on monday morning on days like these. Missed them so much last season.

Here there are hardly any football fans but browsing becomes so painful if you have to skip all the pages of nonsense posted about the team you support.

I work in an office where the Liverpool supports are nice sorts so there's a bit of a mutual silence this morning :D

What a result.

One point I'd like to make...here's the starting line up which took that 2-0 lead.
    De Gea
    Valencia - Evans - Carrick - Jones - Young
    Fellaini - Rooney
    Mata
    RVP-Wilson

Up until the introduction of Herrera after the hour, all those players were available to Moyes at the start of last season (apart from Mata, but we had Shinji).

I think it shows the grit and mentality that permeates every aspect of the team right now. They were winning so many 50-50 balls yesterday, it was immense. Even in the 92nd minute, they were first to every ball, even when the game was wrapped up.

Make no mistake, LVG is a masterful leader and a superb man manager. More importantly, and what is stark contrast to Moyes, he attacks the opponents weaknesses insead of worrying where they could hurt us. Sky had a great graphic showing 52% of our attack came down Liverpool's left, an area they felt they could exploit. Which they did.

If we start into February with new additions in defense (or at least get some luck with injuries), I think we could be challenging for second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

how did Wilson play against Liverpool, yesterday..didnt get a chance to see the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wadacrack wrote: »
    how did Wilson play against Liverpool, yesterday..didnt get a chance to see the game

he wasnt great to be honest and with 60 minutes gone, he was out of gas and had his hands on his knees so fitness at this level is an issue for him at the moment.

in saying that, he was playing in a position that was alien to him and he worked his bollix off so for that, he deserves credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

wadacrack wrote: »

wasn't really involved in any part of the game.

Carrick has been immense since he has come back, a real calming presence in the team, would be brilliant if we had 2 carricks in the team, one for defence and one for midfield. How some people don't rate him is beyond me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement