Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

bangkok wrote: »
    all ifs and buts, the likes of roy keane wtc will never end up out of the game. currently earning 600k a year from the Ireland job and what ever else he is earning at villa, his income for this year alone will be over 1m.

yes, compared to a few years back when he could earn that on a wet weekend. Thought you were out of the arguement?

It must be really tough for lower league footballers or any footballer out of the top 100 in the world. They might earn in 15 years what we earn in 60, I would just spend it all as a young person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Louis van Gaal wants 2-4 new players in the next 2 transfer windows. Kevin Strootman has been identified as a target. [times]

Hope a CB is included in those potential players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Hope a CB is included in those potential players.

The full headline is actually Strootman and a right sided CB.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The full headline is actually Strootman and a right sided CB.

Sweet, i didn't see the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

agh good god, I came back to the boards after a short sabbatical (work life has been mental) and been a quite few days then the board explodes...

Check reason....
    See's the names wildman and bangkok...
    reads post...
    see's they still talk poop
    tut tut's to self
    smile and says
    Something never change....

Anyways lads a game v the baggies this weekend, how are we going to line up
    what options have we to play with Rojo at CB
    is LS3 still fat and unfit...
    Who'll play at the top of the diamond in 4-1-2-1-2

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

brinty wrote: »
    agh good god, I came back to the boards after a short sabbatical (work life has been mental) and been a quite few days then the board explodes...

Check reason....
    See's the names wildman and bangkok...
    reads post...
    see's they still talk poop
    tut tut's to self
    smile and says
    Something never change....

Anyways lads a game v the baggies this weekend, how are we going to line up
    what options have we to play with Rojo at CB
    is LS3 still fat and unfit...
    Who'll play at the top of the diamond in 4-1-2-1-2

Yeah, somethings never change alright...idiotic posts like the one above which play to the gallery and seek the praise of the baying mob that frequent these pages.

If you don't toe the party line in here, you're a pariah.

"Stick him on the ignore list"

Get a life.

Yeah, somethings never change alright...idiotic posts like the one above which play to the gallery and seek the praise of the baying mob that frequent these pages.

If you don't toe the party line in here, you're a pariah.

"Stick him on the ignore list"

Get a life.

Some people don't understand humour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

It wasn't funny. It was just another personal attack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It wasn't funny. It was just another personal attack.

The two of you can cut it out now. One and only warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

MANCHESTER UNITED 9
    • A Valencia- Hamstring Injury- 26th Oct 14
    • P McNair - Hamstring Injury- 26th Oct 14
    • A Herrera- Fractured Rib- 26th Oct 14
    • C Smalling- Hip/Thigh Injury- 20th Oct 14
    • J Evans- Ankle/Foot Injury- 26th Oct 14
    • A Young - Groin/Pelvis Injury - 20th Oct 14
    • P Jones- Hamstring Injury - 20th Oct 14
    • J Lingard - Knee Injury - no return date
    • M Carrick - Ankle/Foot Injury - 20th Oct 14

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think we get a points deduction if it drops below 9 or something

Edit: Hamstring injury being code for your wife catching you cheating and breaking your golf club off you is all the rage also

Interesting

B0FbY6XIYAAG72x.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I happen be off work Tuesday so the game on Monday night suits be now cause can have pint or 10.

We don't play much Monday Night football anymore I'm trying even think of the last time we did.

It was much more common in 90's, always made going to school bit easier knowing got game that evening tobenjoy even if it was Coventry v Oldham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Interesting

Numbers.

Lots of numbers.

Are they good? I'll assume that they're good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Interesting

anigif_enhanced-buzz-23392-1371082469-2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads pardon my ignorance but why do people slag off wildman and bangkok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Anyone here going to West Brom game?

Yes indeed first game of the season cannot wait!

Is that game sky or BT
    I've the bt package (ufc and rugby) and don't think its on there
    Here's hoping there's a good result for this gage and confidence going into the Chelsea game

kryogen wrote: »
    I think we get a points deduction if it drops below 9 or something

Edit: Hamstring injury being code for your wife catching you cheating and breaking your golf club off you is all the rage also

Hahahaha poor paddy McNair in that case
    Phil probably pulled his at a gurning contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Is that game sky or BT
    I've the bt package (ufc and rugby) and don't think its on there
    Here's hoping there's a good result for this gage and confidence going into the Chelsea game

It's Monday Night Football on Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Interesting

Highlighted red number on the right are the only thing you're looking for.

some of the other stuff isn't well labelled tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

This is like waiting for Santa all over again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This is like waiting for Santa all over again :P

Should start a countdown clock :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Time for LvG and the team to start delivering. We have had the 1st int break, which was to allow us time, then the 2nd to allow us time for injuries. LVG's 3 month period is coming to and end (I'm sure he would want it to only start from the start of the PL but I take it from when he the job).

We need to get back to beating teams liek WB home and away as a matter of course. We need a good win to have the confidence ahead of the Chelsea game (although I don't see us getting anything out of that one but neother do I see that as any issue as they are not the people we are battllig with this year, depressing as that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Time for LvG and the team to start delivering. We have had the 1st int break, which was to allow us time, then the 2nd to allow us time for injuries. LVG's 3 month period is coming to and end (I'm sure he would want it to only start from the start of the PL but I take it from when he the job).

We need to get back to beating teams liek WB home and away as a matter of course. We need a good win to have the confidence ahead of the Chelsea game (although I don't see us getting anything out of that one but neother do I see that as any issue as they are not the people we are battllig with this year, depressing as that is).

I don't think we're there yet. Form doesn't just happen but the last few matches we've ground out results and it's slowly starting to take shape. Putting arbitrary time scales on when we should start to look like the real deal, especially with our defensive injuries, is setting yourself up for a fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

I don't think we're there yet. Form doesn't just happen but the last few matches we've ground out results and it's slowly starting to take shape. Putting arbitrary time scales on when we should start to look like the real deal, especially with our defensive injuries, is setting yourself up for a fall.

This. We need to accept that the team has changed a lot in the last 2 years. We've had a lot of players leave and 8 new ones come in since Moyes got the job. Then last year the team looked bereft of confidence. LVG has had to restore that and also rebuild a weakened team. There have been some encouraging signs in the last while, more than we saw at all last year, and that is good as it shows progress. The 3 month thing was about not expecting miracles from him immediately. It didn't mean after 3 months we would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Agreed.

The fact is there is only one position in the back 4 where we could confidently say a player is first choice - Rafael at right back cause we have no other options.

Rojo or Shaw at left back?
    Rojo, Smalling, Evans, Jones, Blacket at centre back?

Until we are relatively clear of injuries, and our backline takes some sort of consistent shape, we are going to be a vulnerable side. As we can't build a tactical/situational/positional/commanding understanding between the keeper, the backline and the defensive positioning of the midfield while 2/3 players or positions are changed every week.

It may also be that we continue to be vulnerable because none of the centre backs are good enough, but we won't be able to do anything about that until January at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

probably already discussed, but looks like Ron Vlaar will be joining us in January.

he is out of contract in summer, Villa want £12million, though he could force a move for cheaper as he can sign a deal for free with a europe club like Vidic did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

probably already discussed, but looks like Ron Vlaar will be joining us in January.

he is out of contract in summer, Villa want £12million, though he could force a move for cheaper as he can sign a deal for free with a europe club like Vidic did.

If he is out of contract in the summer we could nab him alright, but if there is any truth to the 'gentlemans agreement' in relation to cleverly maybe a swap deal is on the cards - or money + tom!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

If he is out of contract in the summer we could nab him alright, but if there is any truth to the 'gentlemans agreement' in relation to cleverly maybe a swap deal is on the cards - or money + tom!

If it was money and tom how much cash would it be? I'd guess 4-5 million

Not sure how much I believe the Vlaar stories. Think its a case of us needing a defender, Vlaar being Dutch, Vlaar nearing the end of his contract, ergo 2+2=5.

No way I see us paying 12m for a 30 year old who has a few months left on his contract though. Maybe 7-8 at a push, but not 12. Say more likely we just do a swap for Cleverly or something....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hococop wrote: »
    If it was money and tom how much cash would it be? I'd guess 4-5 million

I'd be happy with that.

I'll always take stories like that with a pinch of salt in international week. You get a lot of attemts to fill column spaces.

I don't doubt United have some level of interest, but I would be surprised if he was a primary target. I would still imagine a player like hummels will be a high priority target for United, along with some others. With Vlaar being an option if we can't get them and really need to sign a new CB in january.

I would doubt it is close to a done deal - and will very much depend on possibly moves for other CBs in January, and the form of Smalling, Jones and Evans if they ever get fit, i think Vlaar would fall into a scenario where we simply can't afford not to buy a CB, and we can't get higher priority targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looking like we'll have Jones,Carrick & Herrera available for Monday night.
    At last some good news on the injury front.

• Advertisement

Where does Carrick fit though? Honestly, I don't think he should be starting ahead of Herrera, Blind or DiMaria, so I'm not really happy (or annoyed) at him being back. For me, he's a squad player now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Carrick can be brough on when we go 2-0 up and need to control the game, if there is one thing he can do well it is slowing down a game

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Where does Carrick fit though? Honestly, I don't think he should be starting ahead of Herrera, Blind or DiMaria, so I'm not really happy (or annoyed) at him being back. For me, he's a squad player now.

For me, it is between himself and Blind in the first choice line up where we go with a more attacking side, with Herrera and Di Maria as the box to box players.

I can see an option of Selecting along with Blind, and probably Herrera and then playing two wingers and one forward - if the game demands it. Would offer a more solid defensive base in big games.

I'd prefer to see him picked in midfield than Fletcher or Fellaini, so for me it is a big plus he is back.

I was thinking the same but then I'd be accused of my usual bias against Carrick.
    Blind has proven to be better in that position,he does the same job but is so much better at moving the ball forward.I can't say I've missed the 5 yard sideways & backwards passing followed by the long diagonal to the wing.

I can see an option of Selecting along with Blind, and probably Herrera and then playing two wingers and one forward - if the game demands it. Would offer a more solid defensive base in big games.

Certainly provides the option of going into the 4-3-3, but the fun then becomes which of the two strikers get dropped. Presumably we have DiMaria on one wing, but Rooney, RVP and Falcao then becomes a game of Kiss/Marry/Kill :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Carrick will be a good squad player when we are winning after 75 minutes and Di Maria is wrecked we can put Carrick in beside blind and see out the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Not sure how much I believe the Vlaar stories. Think its a case of us needing a defender, Vlaar being Dutch, Vlaar nearing the end of his contract, ergo 2+2=5.

Miguel Delaney is the one thats reporting it, as we saw in August, he is the best source around for United stuff at the moment.

if says the deal is on the cards, then ive 100% faith in him.

I do hope however, we dont pay anywhere near £12m, he should be attained for no more than £4 or £5million. if they hold out for it, we should pull out until the summer, though Vlaar then has multiple options if we do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Carrick taking Blind's place for a few games would be reasonable given what we've seen so far. Although you could argue Blind deserves more time to prove what he can do and Carrick will need to be reintroduced gradually anyway.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Carrick taking Blind's place for a few games would be reasonable given what we've seen so far. Although you could argue Blind deserves more time to prove what he can do and Carrick will need to be reintroduced gradually anyway.

I can imagine LVG's reaction when he sees Carrick time & again doing just like Valencia did here.

WholeHelplessGoosefish.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

zerks wrote: »
    I can imagine LVG's reaction when he sees Carrick time & again doing just like Valencia did here.

WholeHelplessGoosefish.gif

I'm no fan of Carrick but Blind has been no better so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I was thinking the same but then I'd be accused of my usual bias against Carrick.
    Blind has proven to be better in that position,he does the same job but is so much better at moving the ball forward.I can't say I've missed the 5 yard sideways & backwards passing followed by the long diagonal to the wing.

How has Blind proven to be better in that position. The only game i could say he done well was QPR which was no test.

WE conceded 5 against Leicester, we got overrun in the second half against West Ham, Blind was good the first half against Everton when he was given time and space he was poor in the second half when they pressed more.

Carrick's positioning and covering the back 4 is far superior imo. Also their is a big difference in what Carrick played with and what Blind played with. Carrick had Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley etc to show for the ball.

Blind has had Herrera and Di Maria looking for the ball a fair difference in the quality of midfielder showing for the ball.

Carrick has a good passing range we signed him for his ability playing further up the field. Fergie moved him deeper protecting the back 4 and keeping it simple and he has been very good at it.

He looked good in a game he was hardly touched vs QPR. He was no better than anyone else defensively in the shambles vs Leicster. WEst Ham he looked good enough, but our defence was still under massive pressure.

I like him, and I do think he is looking good - but I think he is far too soon to be saying he has proven better in a position Carrick has proven himself in before. 3 games. Yes, he was poor last season but he knows that himself, and I think Moyes didn't use him well. I think Carricks general style could suit LVG and we could see him return to something like 2012/13 - which would be a great boost for the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im bit mixed on Blind so far, but got give him bit more time yet.

He is at worst good enough squad player, just wonder can he be 1st choice.

A lot of blaming our midfield for the shambles against Leicester,remember a lot of our problems stemmed from direct balls over our defence that they seemed incapable of defending.This is nothing new,I remember Liverpool doing the same against us.We were opened up time & again by Sunday League style long balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Carrick is over his injury, but he is a long way from being sharp enough to slot straight back in, so it will be a case of slow reintroduction to the team. I feel he will still be an important player for us over the season. We need someone who can come in and take the sting out of a game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement