Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Headshot wrote: »
    Love Rick and Morty.

A great show

Best animated show on TV in my humble opinion.

"Where are my testicles, Summer?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'd love to see Mata playing number 10 behind Rooney and ahead of a four man midfield. He is a fantastic player, but he just isn't suited to these narrow formations that LVG has been trying to make work.

Imo, this front six:
    Val/Young - Herrera - Carrick - Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney

...would score a lot more goals and be more solid defensively than the formations with more strikers that LVG has been using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Hello all. Just got access to the football forums after lurking for ages.

Youth team won tonight in the Youth Cup against Bury. Fosu Mensah looked the stand out player followed by Gribbin and Rashford.

They made heavy weather of it given the 1-0 scoreline. Could quite easily been 4 or 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Oh great, another winger with pace and no crossing ability and ****s himself in 1 on 1's, just what we need:P

Really I don't think we need Sterling however if he was available we'd be crazy not to take him. Offers a lot, playing in a good side he could be devastating however at the moment he's very much in the potential star phase.

As for the one on one comment, He was playing against "the wall", he didn't stand a chance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

duffman13 wrote: »
    Really I don't think we need Sterling however if he was available we'd be crazy not to take him. Offers a lot, playing in a good side he could be devastating however at the moment he's very much in the potential star phase.

As for the one on one comment, He was playing against "the wall", he didn't stand a chance :)

Sterling is on another level completely to Januzaj who is the great white hope at United. To say he's not needed is settling for Valencia and Young in the team long term. A winger is desperately needed if the club are to move to a 4-3-3 long term which is probable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Trond wrote: »
    Hello all. Just got access to the football forums after lurking for ages.

Youth team won tonight in the Youth Cup against Bury. Fosu Mensah looked the stand out player followed by Gribbin and Rashford.

They made heavy weather of it given the 1-0 scoreline. Could quite easily been 4 or 5.

Mensah was the only player signed as well. The rest have been there years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fnvb6wh.jpg

We used to be way more fashionable
    They're not pants until you stash your armpit hair in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Need defenders in January like it or not just in case an injury crisis happens again, what kind of figure will Falcao cost if the transfer does go through in the summer and we will need a replacement for Fletcher and Carrick perhaps not this coming summer but definitely 2016, £100m won't go too far in the current climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love Mata <3333

Many times he was just waving his arms on Sunday just demanding the ball <333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'd love to see Mata playing number 10 behind Rooney and ahead of a four man midfield. He is a fantastic player, but he just isn't suited to these narrow formations that LVG has been trying to make work.

Imo, this front six:
    Mata
    Rooney

...would score a lot more goals and be more solid defensively than the formations with more strikers that LVG has been using.
    Wait, what?

You want to change from a system that's won six games on the bounce, conceded three goals, and use Mata differently to how he's been used up to now, with stats comparable to Eden Hazard?

You're off the reservation on this one pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wait, what?

You want to change from a system that's won six games on the bounce, conceded three goals, and use Mata differently to how he's been used up to now, with stats comparable to Eden Hazard?

I think something needs to be changed, whether it be Mata or whomever.

We shouldn't allow the results to mask some very shakey performances.

Rather than 6 wins we could easily have come away from the Arsenal, Stoke, Southampton and Liverpool games with less than 3 points.

Even just looking at the liverpool game - Sterling missed to sitters, Ballotelli should have scored and Mata's goal was offside. Its all well and good saying we got the win and the 3 points which is all that matters and is all that will be recorded, but the performances still need a lot of work, imo. To ignore any need for change simply because we are on a winning run is insane imo.

I can't believe anyone would argue that the 3 at the back formation is the way we should be looking to play for the rest of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I feel the 3 at the back formation is more down to the fact we don't actually have any fit fullbacks at the moment. We're playing two wingers in the wing back positions, and maybe LVG doesn't trust them defensively so is feeling like he HAS to play a third defender for coverage.

Don't get me wrong, our defence has been poor; it's De Gea who is masking our frailties at the back, and our lack of goals conceded is down to him, not to our defence. But I feel the problem isn't the system as much as its the players involved in the system.

Roll on having Raf and Shaw back so we can move back to a proper back 4 though.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel the 3 at the back formation is more down to the fact we don't actually have any fit fullbacks at the moment. We're playing two wingers in the wing back positions, and maybe LVG doesn't trust them defensively so is feeling like he HAS to play a third defender for coverage.

Don't get me wrong, our defence has been poor; it's De Gea who is masking our frailties at the back, and our lack of goals conceded is down to him, not to our defence. But I feel the problem isn't the system as much as its the players involved in the system.

Roll on having Raf and Shaw back so we can move back to a proper back 4 though.

I agree - I don't think 352 was ever the real plan for United - but a formation required due to the makeup of the squad.

My main point is in response to BC seemingly finding it insane people might want a change of system from what has won us 6 games on the trot - with my main point being we haven't actually been playing well and a change of system (and improved performances) is still required. We can't let results blind us.

It actually brings me to a general point I was going to make this morning....

What do people actually make of United at the moment. Since the win at the weekend I have seen a load of fan blogs saying United are back (one stated United were back atop their perch...) Ollie Holt saying United can win the title this season (but he will eat his hat if we do), Rooney apparently revelling in the title talk at United now - I personally don't agree with any of it! I don't think United are back. We are on a very good run of results, but I can't feel we are back until we start heading into a fixture and I feel confident that we will get the win - like I was confident we would or could previously. I think people are getting carried away with the run of results, which could so easily have gone another way and been similar to our early season form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Imo, this front six:
    Mata
    Rooney

and drop van persie who looks to be back to his best?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I just can't believe anybody would suggest dropping Van Persie. He has been fantastic the last few games and is starting to show his form of two seasons ago. He has played himself into form it would be strange to drop him once he has hit form.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I would play the same players from midfield up as the last game but would replace Wilson with Falcao.
    Then we would have our three top scorers from the previous 4 games along with a striker who is world class but who needs to be given more responsibility and trust by starting him.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I just can't believe anybody would suggest dropping Van Persie. He has been fantastic the last few games and is starting to show his form of two seasons ago. He has played himself into form it would be strange to drop him once he has hit form.

yea doesn't make sense and he looks as fit as he has ever been.

The performances with 3 at the back have been bad, or at least looked bad because of the positioning of Young and Valencia. If the other team are playing a 4-3-3 they push forward nonsensically a lot and it creates a 3 on 3 with the forwards and defense and then the opposition midfield become very dangerous because they can outnumber the defense if they push up and who's going to defend in that situation? Fellaini isn't a deep player, Mata doesn't chase back most of the time and Rooney might chase back but would often be late and not have much defensive skill.

Young and Valencia were more disciplined against Liverpool but not much and I thought Liverpool actually played a lot of decent through balls that with Lambert instead of Sterling wouldn't have worked. I think Rodgers did well tactically but United just have a superior squad and especially goalkeeper.

Ultimately if United are going to remain playing deep with 3 defenders and 2 wing backs pushing forward the chasm between defense and midfield is going to remain and they will continue to give up chances by the boatload so the sooner they move back to a 4 at the back formation the better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What do people actually make of United at the moment.

Personally, I feel the confidence you're talking about is starting to grow in me; despite playing poorly, despite a horrific injury table, we've had a brilliant run over the last few weeks, even going beyond the six wins. The draw against Chelsea and the loss to City showed a confidence growing in the team. I went into the Liverpool game expecting a win, and got it.

Don't get me wrong, we've still got a bit of improvement to go. But LVG is now winning games with the same squad options that Moyes couldn't win last year, has some good players coming back from injury and has seemingly a lot more money to spend over the upcoming months. Fans who had wrote us off last year have suddenly had to shut up and accept it might have been a blip.

Chelsea looked home and dry a few weeks ago, but now....we've overcome bigger gaps in a shorter time. We're starting to display a confidence, even if we're winning ugly. I'm confident of a Top 4 finish at least, and honestly don't see why we can't challenge for the title (though I still don't think we'll get there...).

Sorry if already posted.

Latest rumour is Real Madrid will put in a world record bid for a goalkeeper when they try and tempt De Gea away from us, but the rumour goes De Gea doesn't want to leave United.

I think De Gea probably never felt more at home given he has Mata and Herrera who are his friends and they all live in the same area. I think if we didn't have the Spanish element to our team he might have been a bit homesick.

Who can forget him there ready to greet Mata when he arrived?

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the replay of Sunday and considering the last few games also. My god how important is Carrick for is the side when he plays. He gets slagged off because he keeps it simple and is not flashy. What a difference since he came back 7 wins in a row. We can all wait now till he has a bad game and the haters will be back.

For all people talk about Blind if he turns out half as good as Carrick has for United he will do well.

We wont get near the top 3 playing 3-5-2.

Simply doesn't suit our centre halves. Plus we badly need experience back there. Im starting to worry for Evans. Ive always defended him over the years as I do think there's a good player in there but 3-5-2 is killing him at the moment. Hopefully we'll see a return to form when we revert to a back 4.

Godin is 29 in January I believe. So not exactly one for the future but of what is out there he looks the best option. Cost will obviously be a big factor.

My view on Manchester United is Bayern Munich...

LVG took over, off to a horrible start, bottom of the league, got stronger and stronger as his philosophy started to influence the team and they went onto win.

I do believe in history repeating itself. United have to believe too they can win the title.
    Whether it happens is another story, but it is a case of simply going out to win the next match and see where it takes us.
    Ruling out the title would be wrong when there is just 8 points from the top, with 22 games to go or a maximum of 66 points to play for.
    We have the firepower and the goalkeeper and one would have to assume our defense will improve, well I hope so, then who knows.

We wont get near the top 3 playing 3-5-2.

Simply doesn't suit our centre halves. Plus we badly need experience back there. Im starting to worry for Evans. Ive always defended him over the years as I do think there's a good player in there but 3-5-2 is killing him at the moment. Hopefully we'll see a return to form when we revert to a back 4.

Godin is 29 in January I believe. So not exactly one for the future but of what is out there he looks the best option. Cost will obviously be a big factor.
    Evans was rushed back from injury and has done ok I think. Come up with some important tackles even if his general play isn't at it's usual level. The 2 side CBs are doing the job of 2 players so it's not easy for them and Young got forward a lot more than Valencia the other day so it was even more difficult on that side. The pass to Carrick/De Gea was poor but Carrick standing there like an idiot was just as infuriating as the pass itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Villa were always a handy 6 points for UTD every season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Villa were always a handy 6 points for UTD every season
    Indeed, haven't had anything less than a win against them since November 2010 :cool:

7Zx5zRf.png

Liam O wrote: »
    Evans was rushed back from injury and has done ok I think. Come up with some important tackles even if his general play isn't at it's usual level. The 2 side CBs are doing the job of 2 players so it's not easy for them and Young got forward a lot more than Valencia the other day so it was even more difficult on that side. The pass to Carrick/De Gea was poor but Carrick standing there like an idiot was just as infuriating as the pass itself.

For me seeing that LVG has almost demoted Evans in favour of Carrick says a lot to be honest.

Again I do rate Evans its just that watching him struggle in the 352 aint easy. He was guilty of ball watching against Liverpool. id expect not to see that given his experience. Roll on a back 4!

For me seeing that LVG has almost demoted Evans in favour of Carrick says a lot to be honest.

Again I do rate Evans its just that watching him struggle in the 352 aint easy. He was guilty of ball watching against Liverpool. id expect not to see that given his experience. Roll on a back 4!
    Demoted? How?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sorry if already posted.

Latest rumour is Real Madrid will put in a world record bid for a goalkeeper when they try and tempt De Gea away from us, but the rumour goes De Gea doesn't want to leave United.

I think De Gea probably never felt more at home given he has Mata and Herrera who are his friends and they all live in the same area. I think if we didn't have the Spanish element to our team he might have been a bit homesick.

Who can forget him there ready to greet Mata when he arrived?

That came from the Express. They are one of the worst out there for just making things up. Conversely the Sun are reporting that he's "told teammates" that he's staying. Basically they're all making it up. He has 18 months left on his contract so the clickbait rumours are flying everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I always get the impression that De Gea is happy at United, some players you dont get that from

Hopefully he will sign a new contract

I didn't realise being out injured these days meant you got demoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think if Chelsea hadn't had so much luck with injuries so far, if they had been without 2 or 3 key players they would be at least 4 or 5 points worse off, and that puts them in touching distance with us despite all of the stuff we have had going on

Some times your luck is just in however, we could have said the above about us a few times when we won the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think if Chelsea hadn't had so much luck with injuries so far, if they had been without 2 or 3 key players they would be at least 4 or 5 points worse off, and that puts them in touching distance with us despite all of the stuff we have had going on

Some times your luck is just in however, we could have said the above about us a few times when we won the title

Chelsea's lack of injuries has very little to do with luck. IMO there is something very wrong at United that can't be blamed on bad luck, more likely a poor medical department mixed with bad management of injuries and possibly something to do with training methods.

Your not the only club mind, Arsenal have been shocking for a while. You could perhaps say one season they were unlucky, but 5 or 6 concurrent seasons? You have to start looking at conditions. Chelsea haven't had a major injury crisis in the last 3 seasons and I don't thin that's down to luck,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

PEDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

PEDs

Hopefully, although it wouldnt explain why all the top clubs just dont employ such easy to disguise tactics or else they do and the PEDs being used arent good enough which harks back to a poor medicial department. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hopefully, although it wouldnt explain why all the top clubs just dont employ such easy to disguise tactics or else they do and the PEDs being used arent good enough which harks back to a poor medicial department. ;)

Definitely PEDs. You just have to look at the two Chelsea players carrying on the stretcher yesterday. The clean medics couldn't keep up with them.

Not all managers being comfortable with such cheating and putting their players' long term health at risk would be a reasonable explanation.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Definitely PEDs. You just have to look at the two Chelsea players carrying on the stretcher yesterday. The clean medics couldn't keep up with them.

That was comical, like a Benny Hill sketch.
    Not all managers being comfortable with such cheating and putting their players' long term health at risk would be a reasonable explanation.

Prior to Jose we had very little injuries, probably the club doping the players to their eyeballs.

I suppose Cesc is used to it from his time at Barca, he'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Plenty of rumours about Bayern doping as far back as LVG. The likes of Robben, who is faster in his 30's now than he ever was at Chelsea at 23.

It's all unknown at this point, until football actually acknowledges the issue any talk is just pure speculation.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Plenty of rumours about Bayern doping as far back as LVG. The likes of Robben, who is faster in his 30's now than he ever was at Chelsea at 23.

It's all unknown at this point, until football actually acknowledges the issue any talk is just pure speculation.

how do you make that out he was lightning fast at Chelsea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

With the amount of money in football and the total lack of oversight, I'd be more surprised if PEDs weren't being used widely. I wouldn't be pointing the finger at particular clubs or trying to insinuate that United are somehow above it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I've no problem with footballers taking steroids. In fact, I'd be all for it and I can't image how anyone would be opposed to it....

Who wants to see ****ty tap ins when we can see goals scored in Old Trafford.......from Dublin.

Wait, what?

The recent results have been masking poor performances a lot of the time. And Mata's superior-to-Hazard goals and assists numbers include all of his appearances since joining United, so that's more games that he's played in a one centre-forward formation than not for those stats.
    bangkok wrote: »
    and drop van persie who looks to be back to his best?!

Even though he's doing well I don't think that he looks back to his best yet. How I see it is that, given their current form, Rooney is a superior centre-forward to RVP; Rooney and RVP still don't work well together as a front pair; Mata is still a superior number 10 to RVP and would perform best if played with the more energetic Rooney in a suitable formation. I'm not trying to just pick the best players, or the players in the best form, but the players who I think would gel together the best.

There have been glimpses of LVG's narrow front three systems working recently, so it might all work out in the long run, but they're still only glimpses at this stage. So I'm still unconvinced and still think that a 4411/4231 with a front pair who compliment each other would be more effective.

Lukker- wrote: »

Indeed, LVG would definitely be under suspicion imo. But it's easily conceivable that a manager who likes doping could struggle introducing a doping regime at a new club if the club hierarchy were against it.

There are so many variables that a lot of it disappears into speculation as you say. However, I was pointing out that Gav's trying to play it all off as illogical is incorrect.

Edit: Just to add, it is not all unknown as you put it. There has been more than enough evidence to show that there is a lot of doping going on in football.

Dayum wrote: »
    I've no problem with footballers taking steroids. In fact, I'd be all for it and I can't image how anyone would be opposed to it....

Who wants to see ****ty tap ins when we can see goals scored in Old Trafford.......from Dublin.

I did like Dion Dublin, just a pity it didn't really work out at United.

Depending on the evidence re: long term health and provided it was strictly regimented I'd have no problem with players on the roids. Pushing people to the limit of their athletic potential should be encouraged imo.

That said while they're outlawed it's gaining an unfair advantage.

There are so many variables that a lot of it disappears into speculation as you say. However, I was pointing out that Gav's trying to play it all off as illogical is incorrect.

Edit: Just to add, it is not all unknown as you put it. There has been more than enough evidence to show that there is a lot of doping going on in football.

I was onyl replying to what was said previous.

Post that started it off, a genuine question and reasoned one.

Followed by a post of poor humour, at best.
    PEDs

Now, I 100% believe clubs will and have gained advantages through illegal methods, football is to big and to lucrative to suggest its squeaky clean.

bangkok wrote: »
    how do you make that out he was lightning fast at Chelsea?

Robben was always very quick, the fact hes now faster than he ever was is a bit.....suspicious IMO.

Robben was always very quick, the fact hes now faster than he ever was is a bit.....suspicious IMO.

What proof are people using to back this fact up?

Serious question? Is there prolonged statistical analysis showing he is consistently quicker now?

He is still very quick - obviously - but is he quicker? I don't know. If he is, it could be down to doing specialised training over the course of the last decade or so to improve a key component of his game. I'm not saying he has been doing specialised training, but it is more likely (imo) than doing drugs.

There's probably some evidence with regards to injury recovery strengthening the effected area and the peak is supposed to be around 30 isn't it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement