Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I know your pain. I've went to 3 football matches in my life. The first was a 1-1 draw to Barnsley in 1997 .

Think that was a cup game? Schmeichel sliced the heck out of the football for their goal. We lost the replay too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If we do start getting defenders in, I wonder which of the sicknote crew will leave first? Jones, Evans or Smalling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

jaykay74 wrote: »
    If I remember right Delaney called a lot of the Summer transfers right before a lot of others did.

Not a fan of his as a rule, but iirc he did call Falcao extremely early and think he got the rest spot on too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If we do start getting defenders in, I wonder which of the sicknote crew will leave first? Jones, Evans or Smalling?

Well everyone's fit now bar Smalling and tbh, with Blackett and McNair there I'd rather a right back brought in long before a centre back and a right winger brought in before a centre mid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Would love to get Strootman in early and give Chelsea and City a good fight right to the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

And Delany is one of the "Tier 1" guys right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Strootmans knee is surely a cause for concern tho??
    How long is it gonna be before Falcao gets back to himself.. Will he ever?
    Whats to say Strootman wont be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

As good Strootman is I'm not confident in his match fitness yet. He has been out for a long time and would be a risky investment. It screams Hargreaves all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Kagawa has been poor since his return to Dortmund. People made endless excuses for him here but there have been plenty of examples of players who have a golden patch in their career where they may appear to be top class, but just are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Montroseee wrote: »
    Kagawa has been poor since his return to Dortmund. People made endless excuses for him here but there have been plenty of examples of players who have a golden patch in their career where they may appear to be top class, but just are not.

Could it not just as likely be the case that some players are top class for a while and then they stop being so? There would be plenty of reasons for this to happen: changes in their personal lives; loss of pace from injuries; loss of interest in the sport; loss of confidence; etc. Why do people always assume that if a player is not good at some particular point in time that he was never good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

He is top class, the entire squad have been **** this season.

Feel sorry for Kagawa personally.

Deserved more game time at United IMO.

Still has PL medal I guess.

Kagawa has been creating more chances than Gotze this season, it's not his fault Dortmund have strikers who can't score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Feel sorry for Kagawa personally.

Deserved more game time at United IMO.

Still has PL medal I guess.

He had his fair share of chances.

Mata is a far better player and there wasnt room for them both.

Trond wrote: »
    He had his fair share of chances.

Mata is a far better player and there wasnt room for them both.

When he scored or played well he got dropped few times straight away from few times I can remember.

He scored hattrick against Norwich few seasons back but dropped for next game against Reading.

Delighted to have Mata. Not playing well but still creating assists and scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Even with the goals and assists people are still very critical of Mata in terms of his general performance.

Kagawa has been ok for Dortmund since his return, as a squad they are riddled and are performing terribly this season, pretty hard to look like a world beater when your in that situation, people are harping on about Reus, what has he done for Dortmund this season other then occupy the medical team?

Edit: The end of Fergie was the beginning of the end for Kagawa unfortunately, contrary to popular opinion, Fergie did have faith in him and had been integrating him in to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Which games has he been poor in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If I remember right Delaney called a lot of the Summer transfers right before a lot of others did.

ESPN seem to have been briefed: http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/2204964/manchester-united-could-sign-kevin-strootman-from-roma-in-january

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Strootman has played less than 90 minutes of football this season. I knew he hadn't played much, but didn't realise it was so little until I checked. January is too soon to buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Strootman would be a risk in January. He has only played about an hour since he has returned from injury.Would prefer to see him get a few full games under his belt first or United could be buying a player who isn't fully fit until February or later.
    Roma playing tomorrow night vs Milan its on TV so be great if he was playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He broke nothing on United in the Summer. Anything he wrote that came to fruition had already been reported.

He also covered his arse by mentioning 'an interest' in other players we were linked to, like Lallana, Coleman, Benatia, Vidal, Fabregas and Cavani.

When he mentions pretty much every player United had been linked to at some point or another, he is going to have 'reported' a lot of our signings in advance. But he never broke any of it.
    kryogen wrote: »
    Not a fan of his as a rule, but iirc he did call Falcao extremely early and think he got the rest spot on too

He didn't. In fact he wrote a piece on where Falcao may end up the day before transfer deadline day. He mentions Real Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Juventus. But no Manchester United.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/name/79/post/2014145/headline

In fairness, our interest hadn't been reported by any reputable source by that stage so Delaney had nowhere to take info and pass it off as his own 'sources'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

degea-300x297.jpg

would not worry me if we did not buy CM in January.

A CB or FB would be more welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Blatter wrote: »
    He broke nothing on United in the Summer. Anything he wrote that came to fruition had already been reported.

He also covered his arse by mentioning 'an interest' in other players we were linked to, like Lallana, Coleman, Benatia, Vidal, Fabregas and Cavani.

When he mentions pretty much every player United had been linked to at some point or another, he is going to have 'reported' a lot of our signings in advance. But he never broke any of it.

He didn't. In fact he wrote a piece on where Falcao may end up the day before transfer deadline day. He mentions Real Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Juventus. But no Manchester United.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/name/79/post/2014145/headline

In fairness, our interest hadn't been reported by any reputable source by that stage so Delaney had nowhere to take info and pass it off as his own 'sources'.

Thank God, I'm not the only one that thinks he is a Tier 1 Spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

For so many years I've wanted to be able to say that. So many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Good question.

Personally I think Evans is the best of those 3, but LVG seems to have good time for Jones.

So maybe Smalling would be first in line to leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Good question.

Personally I think Evans is the best of those 3, but LVG seems to have good time for Jones.

I think taking Evans is currently the best we have, but I think Jones has the potential to be a very very good CB if he gets games under his belt consistently and puts his injury worries behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Indeed, 'there's hardly a case for signing a CM.

Blind and Herrera were only recently added, Fellaini isn't there too long.
    No point signing lads if you're not going to give them a chance.

The only positions they ened cover in are possibly RB, or on the wings.
    Nani returning could be an option?

But really I don't think they need anybody, just need to get a settled team.

Good question.

Up until recently I would have agreed completely.

Im beginning to have my doubts about Evans. He simply hasn't developed enough over the last 2/3 seasons. Obviously injuries can be blamed but he just doesn't look as assured as he once did. Given his experience and what he won I expect a lot more from him. He's 27 in a couple of weeks as well.

The sooner we ditch the 352 the better. Makes all our centre halves look ropey.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

We need to buy a young ish striker next summer as well.

Someone better that Danny Welbeck before anyone suggests leaving him go was a mistake.

Someone better that Danny Welbeck before anyone suggests leaving him go was a mistake.

We won't if Falcao is signed permanently. RvP, Falcao, Rooney, Wilson is more than enough. A young striker on top of that won't get any games, or else Wilson would be demoted.

We also still own Javier Hernandez. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

I think Wilson has the potential to be a far better player than Welbeck. He seems to have had a big impact on LVG aswell. Shame he hasn't got the service from midfield as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Liverpool is great spot to go out.

Cheap drink and good craic.

i f*cking hate the place, refuse to contribute one cent to the local economy there apart from the airport and the bus out of it :)

English cities in general are kips, Manchester being a classic example!

Interesting read here from Squawka on the 5 players who've improved under LVG.

Carrick has gone from short,back & sides to over 70% forward passing.Amazing what can be done now we have something resembling a midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

i f*cking hate the place
    I'd be interested to know why exactly?

There's parts of Liverpool and Manchester that are v kippy I agree... but you can have great and cheap nights out in both those places, and not be fearful of your wallet, toothbrush or life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I would prefer Wilson to go on loan, just don't see it in him yet. I'm basing this around the assumption of keeping falcao.
    As loveable as Chico is, we need another Rooney type player rather than a box player like Chico and rvp.
    Those lads will tipping 30, might as well be a bit proactive for once and sign a 23/25 year old who will be big in a season or 2. Wouldn't be too of the list but would be nice to see some proactive planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

zerks wrote: »
    Interesting read here from Squawka on the 5 players who've improved under LVG.

DDGs improvement under LVG (or should i say Frans Hoek) has been his biggest achievement so far, its like he is a completely different keeper.

while he was one of the only positive things from last season in most peoples eyes, i thought he was poor. he was costing us points last year (Cardiff, Spurs, plus the semi final defeat to Sunderland just 3 examples), but this year he is actually winning us points - he has been sensational.

was reading the other day how his "students" include Van Der Sar, Valdes, Neuer, Baia, Reina and Fabianski - some of the top goal keepers in the world at their peak and after his influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

zerks wrote: »

Carrick has gone from short,back & sides to over 70% forward passing.Amazing what can be done now we have something resembling a midfield.
    I'm calling BS.
    I've never seen Michael Carrick with any hairdo other than short, back and sides.

i f*cking hate the place, refuse to contribute one cent to the local economy there apart from the airport and the bus out of it :)

English cities in general are kips, Manchester being a classic example!

:mad: Well that's a load of nonsense for starters. Central Manchester compared to 20 years ago is lovely! Liverpool is miles better as well.

You must have stayed in Bootle and Longsight to have that opinion.

• Advertisement

I would prefer Wilson to go on loan, just don't see it in him yet. I'm basing this around the assumption of keeping falcao.
    As loveable as Chico is, we need another Rooney type player rather than a box player like Chico and rvp.
    Those lads will tipping 30, might as well be a bit proactive for once and sign a 23/25 year old who will be big in a season or 2. Wouldn't be too of the list but would be nice to see some proactive planning.

So just say we have Rooney, RvP and Falcao at the club next season. Which 23/25 year old striker (who has the potential to be the next best thing) is going to want to come and sit on the bench behind those 3 and scrap for minutes rather than playing somewhere else regularly? You are talking about a crucial development period in a player's career. You must be playing regularly at that age if you want to become one of the best, not play 4th fiddle to Rooney, RvP and Falcao.

Your suggestion only makes some sort of sense if Falcao isn't going to be signed up.

I think Wilson has the potential to be a far better player than Welbeck.

Based upon what?

Based upon what?

He has played games before the senior team you do know.

Based upon what?

Watching them both since their respective academy days.

Wilson is a far more natural finisher with a lethal burst of acceleration. One of Welbeck's best traits was always his workrate. Wilson also excels in that area.

Once he gets one goal for the first team I expect him to settle into things a bit more. A bit of proper service wouldn't go a miss as well.

You can see he's almost trying too hard at the moment. Which is actually a bit reminiscent of Welbeck until his screamer against Stoke (I think)

He has played games before the senior team you do know.

If I was asking you I would have used smaller words.

Watching them both since their respective academy days.

Wilson is a far more natural finisher with a lethal burst of acceleration. One of Welbeck's best traits was always his workrate. Wilson also excels in that area.

Once he gets one goal for the first team I expect him to settle into things a bit more. A bit of proper service wouldn't go a miss as well.

You can see he's almost trying too hard at the moment. Which is actually a bit reminiscent of Welbeck until his screamer against Stoke (I think)

Whats most reminiscent of Wellbeck is being played out of position, I think that held Wellbeck back and I wonder if the same will happen here? Its hard to see all of the senior strikers being dropped to give Wilson time as the leading striker. Hopefully he continues to develop but if I'm being honest he hasn't really shone too much in his appearances so far.

Whats most reminiscent of Wellbeck is being played out of position, I think that held Wellbeck back and I wonder if the same will happen here? Its hard to see all of the senior strikers being dropped to give Wilson time as the leading striker. Hopefully he continues to develop but if I'm being honest he hasn't really shone too much in his appearances so far.

Id agree Welbeck's own versatility ultimately cost him. I don't see the same happening with Wilson (thankfully). He'll wont be played out wide. His pace will always make him a great option from the bench.

Wilson did score two on his debut last season (seems to have been overlooked somewhat). When we manage to field a proper midfield that puts Mata in his strongest position we'll start to see some service that he can exploit. Its not like he's missed a shed load of chances of anything....he just hasn't had many.

I'm ready to give Wilson a lot of time, he has looked very promising so far

It looks like the Welbeck love has finally died down, coincided with him being given his chance up front and proving to everyone the level he's at

Good question.

I've thought for a while that Smalling is the best of those three. That being said, if he can't overcome his injury problems then we'd want to replace him.

If I was asking you I would have used smaller words.

Haha you could have at least tried to defend the fact you don't watch anything other than what's on sky, **** me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement