Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Blatter wrote: »
    Fellaini is ill, LvG tells MUTV. He doesn't expand though, no mention of his chances of playing tomorrow.

Hopefully that means Herrera will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Gits_bone wrote: »
    :confused:

Worlds is obviously an autocorrect to worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Really looking forward to tomorrow now.

pity about Fellaini, but we should have too much for Villa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Worlds is obviously an autocorrect to worlds.

And who is "he"?

Anyway, Carricks obviously going to have more forward passes when he's a defender when he has more options in front of him. But because I'm a Liverpool fan I get petty insults thrown my way.

And my comment wasn't an opinion on Carrick, it was an opinion on a stat of Carrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's easier to just put up with people that aren't going to be around too long...

It's easier to just put up with people that aren't going to be around too long...

Ah Jesus, I hope to live another good 50 years yet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I wish we could make a private forum like the chelsea lads.

Anyways..hopefully ADM is fit tomorrow and starts, love watching him.

Is the Chelsea forum private?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Setanta trying to tease us!

10868031_747805465274224_9199326654374499957_n.jpg?oh=b03fb078b27b8123b53f4a9321c373f4&oe=550A5F5E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

bullvine wrote: »
    Is the Chelsea forum private?

The supporters group they have here is. Anyways...the presser

i f*cking hate the place, refuse to contribute one cent to the local economy there apart from the airport and the bus out of it :)

English cities in general are kips, Manchester being a classic example!

I was in Manchester in 1991.

You think it was a kip now, it was a x100 back then

• Advertisement

Ah Jesus, I hope to live another good 50 years yet;)

Eat well, exercise and always wear sunscreen, you'll be grand.

Thats me ****ed:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Am... am I supposed to be wearing sunscreen? Even now?

Am... am I supposed to be wearing sunscreen? Even now?

Unless you're De Gea, he just blocks it out himself.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Anyone with a decent memory will know I've been a huge Carrick naysayer for quite some time now. But he's impressed me since his return this season so credit where credit's due.

even a naysayer when he was one of the top midfielders in Europe 2 years ago and wenger said he should have won player of the year?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

bangkok wrote: »
    even a naysayer when he was one of the top midfielders in Europe 2 years ago and wenger said he should have won player of the year?!

I'm not myopic he has had good seasons at United but there were times where I felt he was poor (last season) or that his inability to take the ball, turn and distribute was causing us to play a style of play that was too slow and laboured... taking the sting out of our wing play and ability to counter attack.

The sidewards and backwards passing argument I know can be countered by statistics related to forward passing so that's not quite it...

I think he's a good player, he has some good qualities but I think a club like United should have a much stronger player in that position. I expect better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

The supporters group they have here is. Anyways...the presser

8 minutes long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I'm not myopic he has had good seasons at United but there were times where I felt he was poor (last season) or that his inability to take the ball, turn and distribute was causing us to play a style of play that was too slow and laboured... taking the sting out of our wing play and ability to counter attack.

The sidewards and backwards passing argument I know can be countered by statistics related to forward passing so that's not quite it...

I think he's a good player, he has some good qualities but I think a club like United should have a much stronger player in that position. I expect better

You make it sound like it was his fault alone. It was clearly the system/manager.

He played under a manager that told all our midfielders not to get on front of the ball. Its no coincidence that they all struggled. That in turn left him a lot less options than what hes seeing under LVG this season.

He is never going to be an physical enforcer, people still seem to hold against him. He does do that job but just in a different way. He tends to put out fires before they happen.

Simply put look at what we've won with him in that role. He played a huge part in it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

You did pick the team :pac:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Apacalypse Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Carrick was never one of the top midfielders in Europe and Wenger is full of shít.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Carrick was never one of the top midfielders in Europe and Wenger is full of shít.

The premiership maybe, and I'd still have had Silva, Yaya and quite a few over him in my team over him, the year he won the award.

Europe, not at all.

The premiership maybe, and I'd still have had Silva, Yaya and quite a few over him in my team over him, the year he won the award.

Europe, not at all.

Carrick can do things neither of them can and visa versa.

Silva is a truly world class attacking midfielder but to say hes better than Carrick defensively is simply not true. Yaya isn't exactly top class defensively either. Hes pretty rash when tracking back and nowhere near as good at reading the game. Again he also happens to be world class heading the opposite direction when it suits him.

Trond wrote: »
    Carrick can do things neither of them can and visa versa.

Silva is a truly world class attacking midfielder but to say hes better than Carrick defensively is simply not true. Yaya isn't exactly top class defensively either. Hes pretty rash when tracking back and nowhere near as good at reading the game. Again he also happens to be world class heading the opposite direction when it suits him.

The original statement made by bangkok was best midfielder in Europe, not best defensive midfielder in Europe.

Yaya was an absolute beast up until his birthday pout... and he was pretty handy as a defensive midfielder for Barca too so it's not like he's just some attacking midfielder with no experience of the defensive side of things.

The original statement made by bangkok was best midfielder in Europe, not best defensive midfielder in Europe.

Yaya was an absolute beast up until his birthday pout... and he was pretty handy as a defensive midfielder for Barca too so it's not like he's just some attacking midfielder with no experience of the defensive side of things.

True but a defensive midfielder in that system is a bit easier than at United when you've Xavi and Iniesta beside you as opposed to who Carrick has had. Barca were quick to let him go when Busquets emerged as well...

• Advertisement

sorry, I should have stated, one of the best DEFENSIVE midfielders in Europe. If he played with Barcelona instead of Busquets he would have been viewed very differently by fans.

Trond wrote: »
    True but a defensive midfielder in that system is a bit easier than at United when you've Xavi and Iniesta beside you as opposed to who Carrick has had. Barca were quick to let him go when Busquets emerged as well...

Yeah Carrick didn't always have dross beside him though before 2011-2012 Scholes was still around, Hargreaves in what brief fleeting time he had at United performed better than Carrick too.

I get that Carrick stepped up when the other players were poor around him but being better than an unfit and poorly Fletcher, ageing Giggs, inexperienced Tom Cleverly and fat Anderson isn't that much of a compliment.

People have been complaining about the problems at CM at United for years and years now, surely if for some of those years Scholes was half of the pairing then it was Carrick that was disappointing?

sorry, I should have stated, one of the best DEFENSIVE midfielders in Europe. If he played with Barcelona instead of Busquets he would have been viewed very differently by fans.

I don't think so. The Barcelona players in that midfield are very comfortable receiving the ball under pressure or back to goal and moving it along. That definitely isn't one of his skills, when given space he can do serious damage but pressed, he's far more ineffective.

So I don't think his skillset automatically slots into the Barca team..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Jingle bells,
    Jingle bells,
    Jingle all the way,
    Oh what fun it is to see,
    United win away

Hopefully be singing this tomorrow evening!

I agree there's no point in comparing defensive and attacking midfielders. But even if you just limit the comparison to other DMs he has still never been among the best Europe. Even DMs in the Premier League, which is probably the position with least quality in the league, Carrick has still always been far behind Leon Britton.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I agree there's no point in comparing defensive and attacking midfielders. But even if you just limit the comparison to other DMs he has still never been among the best Europe. Even DMs in the Premier League, which is probably the position with least quality in the league, Carrick has still always been far behind Leon Britton.

giphy.gif

I presume you are joking?!

Leon Britton is a nothing player, 32 years old, the pinnacle of his career being an often bit part player at a mid-table Premier League club, not even a sniff of an international cap.
    It's bizarre how you keep banging on about him, are you the only one that sees this talent?

I presume you are joking?!

Nope. Britton is just as good defensively; not as good at long passing, but that is a less important skill for the position; and infinitely better at receiving the ball when pressed and playing out of trouble. He's been the best DM by miles in the league since he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Was hoping to see Di Maria back but it looks like he might not even make the bench

I wonder will we ever be in for this man again, he's too good to stay at Juve, could see him at Madrid

https://vine.co/v/OgPPrWrUnMw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Leon Britton is a nothing player, 32 years old, the pinnacle of his career being an often bit part player at a mid-table Premier League club, not even a sniff of an international cap.
    It's bizarre how you keep banging on about him, are you the only one that sees this talent?

Loves Jack Cork too.

And English footballing culture has proven itself to be competent at judging what's required to make a midfield work has it? Or have English teams in fact been almost universally shìte in midfield as evidenced by their general lack of ability to string a few passes together when pressed?

The fact that Britton has gone unrecognised outside of Swansea - where he has generally been hailed as their most important player - is just another symptom of how the English don't get what's important in a central midfielder. The same crowd that thought Lampard and Gerrard would make a good partnership and that Scholes should play on the wing.

And English footballing culture has proven itself to be competent at judging what's required to make a midfield work has it? Or have English teams in fact been almost universally shìte in midfield as evidenced by their general lack of ability to string a few passes together when pressed?

The fact that Britton has gone unrecognised outside of Swansea - where he has generally been hailed as their most important player - is just another symptom of how the English don't get what's important in a central midfielder. The same crowd that thought Lampard and Gerrard would make a good partnership and that Scholes should play on the wing.

I suppose the elite teams in Spain have been beating his door down over the years so...

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Loves Jack Cork too.

He was very good last season and the one before. But he has gone very far backwards this season imo for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nope. Britton is just as good defensively; not as good at long passing, but that is a less important skill for the position; and infinitely better at receiving the ball when pressed and playing out of trouble. He's been the best DM by miles in the league since he arrived.

Start a thread on this rubbish, rather not read it in here

• Advertisement

I suppose the elite teams in Spain have been beating his door down over the years so...

Or maybe the transfer market is not a perfect system. And it's not as if they are short of that type of player in Spain.

RasTa wrote: »
    Start a thread on this rubbish, rather not read it in here

The last post you made in this thread was a weak ago. If you want to shape the topic of discussion in here then try making a contribution.

Or maybe the transfer market is not a perfect system. And it's not as if they are short of that type of player in Spain.

I'm not getting into a long, drawn out argument that nobody wants to read. I think you are laughably wide of the mark with your assessment of Leon Britton and I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Loves Jack Cork too.

catermole would add more to our squad than leon britton

There, I said it

and no i'm not trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Carrick is an awesome player and has been great for UTD. He's not a dazzling player with bags of skill, he goes about his job quitely and very well, his positional play at his best is very good and his passing ability is massively underrated.

He is massively underated as a player in general. I'm not saying he is an Iniesta, Xavi or Scholes but as happened with Busquets people tend to rate the flair players and put down the safety men. Pep had to defend Sergio many times about how important he is to Barca, I believe the quote was "if you watch football you don't see Busquets but if you watch Busquets you see football". Its similar with Carrick, his talents aren't easily noticeable.

When I see people not rate Carrick as a very good player I tend to dismiss any other opinion they have on football as they don't see the game within the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The last post you made in this thread was a weak ago. If you want to shape the topic of discussion in here then try making a contribution.

Far too busy for that, however having to read that Leon Briton is the best DM in the PL annoyed me enough to tell you to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

When I see people not rate Carrick as a very good player I tend to dismiss any other opinion they have on football as they don't see the game within the game.

This. Ridiculous how many years this debate has gone on and how many ex players, top players and current united players who have said how good he is but fans still can't see it. Even today I saw RVP picking him in his United 5 aside team as the only defensive player alongside himself, Rooney, Ralcao and De Gea.

Carrick is an awesome player and has been great for UTD. He's not a dazzling player with bags of skill, he goes about his job quitely and very well, his positional play at his best is very good and his passing ability is massively underrated.

He is massively underated as a player in general. I'm not saying he is an Iniesta, Xavi or Scholes but as happened with Busquets people tend to rate the flair players and put down the safety men. Pep had to defend Sergio many times about how important he is to Barca, I believe the quote was "if you watch football you don't see Busquets but if you watch Busquets you see football". Its similar with Carrick, his talents aren't easily noticeable.

Yeah, Britton is a real flair player.

I'm not getting into a long, drawn out argument that nobody wants to read. I think you are laughably wide of the mark with your assessment of Leon Britton and I'll leave it there.

And I you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Yeah, Britton is a real flair player.

Never mentioned Britton or your opinion on him. That made zero sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement