Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

J. Marston wrote: »
    Well, shít. An Arsenal win is the worst possible result.

Fúcking Liverpool, 1-0 up at home and they still can't get a decent result.
    Jinx power; activate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Makes yesterday's draw tolerable now.
    Should be ok for third.

That's a great result in the context of yesterday, with Newcastle dipping hopefully we can get 3 on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hopefully Stoke can get something out of tomorrow's match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

paulbok wrote: »
    If these Bale rumours prove to be right, where would he fit in? having him on the left means moving ADM into the middle so I'd see that, especially if we persist with playing someone behind 2 strikers, leaving us very vulnerable in the middle.
    I rate Bale very highly, but having ADM means we don't 'really' need him. If you could have one on each side, then that'd be a different matter.
    If we do sign him, it'll probably mean the end of Mata and signing Falcao.

Signing bale would have more repercussions for mata and probably Rvp if falcao stays , bake is much more of an attacker and a scorer of goals compared to do dimaria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Happy with that.

Nothing lost.

Arsenal were awful in first half. Would be happy with 7 points from next 3 games, although 9 would be super, before the tricky cup tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BT Sports are showing both the Newcastle (3pm) & Spurs (12.45pm) games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Poor Dave had
    Evra
    Ferdinand - who can't get into the QPR team
    Vidic - Who's having a stinker in Italy
    Kagawa - Having a stinker in Germany
    Welbeck - (Still not scoring)
    all starters in his team.

He didn't have Falcao - One of the finest strikers in the world
    Di Maria - MOM in CHamps league final, and drove Argentina to world cup final
    Shaw - Voted in the PFA team of the year last season

Di Maria and Shaw didn't start yesterday, and haven't started very many games at all. Everyone bar Falcao was a Moyes player too so it's not like LVG had a vastly superior squad.
    Saying that, we still should have put villa to the sword with ease.

The Mirror claim United are ready to activate the buy out clause in January for Koke at £48 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Mirror claim United are ready to activate the buy out clause in January for Koke at £48 million.

He's too slow, we need pacey wingers tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mirror, express, goal etc are all rubbish sources

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Still annoyed after Saturday. Villa were hardly in the game and although Bentake took his goal well it was not that difficult to defend against. Too much space was afforded to him. Evans again showing his lack of physical presence.

With 35 minutes to go, United were attacking and going for the jugular and then all of a sudden the impetus went with the Wilson substitution. Why I don't know but the game was there for the taking.

I hope against Newcastle normal service resumes. Delighted for Falcao, he is a brilliant player and looked so sharp on Saturday. Needs to start more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Still annoyed after Saturday. Villa were hardly in the game and although Bentake took his goal well it was not that difficult to defend against. Too much space was afforded to him. Evans again showing his lack of physical presence.

With 35 minutes to go, United were attacking and going for the jugular and then all of a sudden the impetus went with the Wilson substitution. Why I don't know but the game was there for the taking.

I hope against Newcastle normal service resumes. Delighted for Falcao, he is a brilliant player and looked so sharp on Saturday. Needs to start more games.

Thing is though - what we saw Saturday was normal service - although we got results you could hardly say it was scintillating. We got lucky in a lot of games. I don't think the players understand this system and we don't play with enough pace when we break. I think our manager gaffed big time with the subs he made - in particular moving Young to the right to accommodate Di Maria. He can point to injuries etc - but this side looks a bit lost of times. We will do well to stay unbeaten in the next 3 games.

The issue I feel is that LVG's game relies on quality from the wings and that is just not happening with Valencia and Young. I know they have provided one each in the last two games but on Saturday I lost count how many overhits Young had in good areas. I had hoped Val's moment against 'pool last week would provide some inspiration but nope, back to hitting balls with the head down and as hard as possible.

The whole flow of the game stops when Young gets possesion, he insists on taking two touches every time and by then the defenders are on top of him. The turning back onto his right foot is annoying too. Quality wingers are needed.

Di Maria hits quality balls at least 80% of the time, he needs Falcao playing tbh. It remains to be seen whether VG sees his future as an attacking MF or a winger. The defense is a shambles, gifting teams chances every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

...Evans is a shambles, gifting teams chances every game.
    FYP - He scares me everytime he's on the ball. Just want my Rafael-Jones-Rojo-Shaw formation back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

All I want for Christmas is for Shaw, Rafael and Herrera to be match fit

That's very harsh on young crimson king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

The issue I feel is that LVG's game relies on quality from the wings and that is just not happening with Valencia and Young. I know they have provided one each in the last two games but on Saturday I lost count how many overhits Young had in good areas. I had hoped Val's moment against 'pool last week would provide some inspiration but nope, back to hitting balls with the head down and as hard as possible.

The whole flow of the game stops when Young gets possesion, he insists on taking two touches every time and by then the defenders are on top of him. The turning back onto his right foot is annoying too. Quality wingers are needed.

Di Maria hits quality balls at least 80% of the time, he needs Falcao playing tbh. It remains to be seen whether VG sees his future as an attacking MF or a winger. The defense is a shambles, gifting teams chances every game.

I would agree with this as when LVG was with the Netherlands, we saw how influential his wingers were especially Robben and even Depay. Di Maria will definetely benefit us and I think Young could maybe do a job for us but i'm still not convinced about Valencia. I would love to see Luke Shaw come back for us as he definitely has that pace. If LVG can just stick his mind with putting 4 at the back and have a diamond formation, we will start winning games deservingly and not just win by the skin of our teeth with de gea saving us time and time again

• Advertisement

That's very harsh on young crimson king.

Just annoyed me on Saturday. Probably going OTT on him, but I just feel he was exposed too much as a poor crosser. Maybe the pressure of playing in front of his old fans got to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I thought Young was awful when he switched to the right wing. Our momentum stopped every time he got on the ball there imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't see how you can fit Falcao, RVP, Rooney and Mata into a starting 11 without having the side completely unbalanced.

If were going two up front then Rooney or Mata should be benched. Putting Rooney back in cm and leaving Herrera on the bench makes absolutely no sense. The same as leaving Carrick cb and starting Fletcher cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

advertsfox wrote: »
    FYP - He scares me everytime he's on the ball. Just want my Rafael-Jones-Rojo-Shaw formation back.

Evans scares you when on the ball but Jones is ok? Evans is far better on the ball than Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney's Hollywood cross field balls from left to right and vice versa are really starting to irk me, he has been doing it a lot in recent seasons but it's becoming more frequent and adds very little to our attack

Getting it out wide should be secondary when we are attacking, when nothing else is on and we want to chance our arm with delivery from Valencia and Young. But we do it almost every single time and almost always lose the ball and leave ourselves open to be torn apart on the counter with our awful defending.

The penetration isn't there. Chelsea have it, City have it, we have a wealth of world class attackers on their day but it just isn't happening. We could get top 4 playing the way we are now all season because of how bad the competition is too but I'd like to see some attractive fluid football consistently before the season is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I don't see how you can fit Falcao, RVP, Rooney and Mata into a starting 11 without having the side completely unbalanced.

If were going two up front then Rooney or Mata should be benched. Putting Rooney back in cm and leaving Herrera on the bench makes absolutely no sense. The same as leaving Carrick cb and starting Fletcher cm.

Simple answer is to drop Mata.

Liam O wrote: »
    Evans scares you when on the ball but Jones is ok? Evans is far better on the ball than Jones.
    IMO, this season for sure - albeit Jones did make a silly mistake against Villa with a poor pass but overall I feel more comfortable with Jones playing.

EEVh9HI.png

ytokx6Y.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Most of Jones' appearances were when he was fully fit at the start of the season. Evans got a preseason injury and another one recently and has been rushed back this time anyway. I would hope that Evans has the more scope to improve with time though Jones was impressive at the start of the season. Good to have them both back and they'd be a good 2 at the back if Rafael and Rojo/Shaw/Blind could get back soon to shore up the full back positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

kstand wrote: »
    I don't think the players understand this system...

I don't think the players suit this system, especially our forwards. I think you need a lot of pace and stamina in your front three to cover the ground when you play with these narrow midfield formations. Neither Mata nor RVP have have that.

If we have to play a narrow formation maybe a front three of:
    Rooney
    Falcao Di Maria
    ...would be better. Rooney doesn't have the pace but he has a great work-rate so he can always make himself available for a pass while also getting through the defensive work. Di Maria has bags of pace. It's hard to know where Falcao is at at this stage, but at least he has more pace than RVP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I would prefer to see Di Maria played in a deeper role where he has a chance to get on the ball and influence the game more by taking the ball past players and picking out clever passes. I think his talents are wasted when he is played too far up the pitch or too wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

think falcao will come good.still looks sharp and possesses more pace than Van Persie and Rooney, hopefully Wilson will began to start playing better

I see the Sunday Express pulling out the BS big-time..

Bale to Utd.....

This bale thing has been getting a lot of coverage. Any decent person covering it?
    Could play him out wide and di Maria in the center. Can bale play on the right?

Won't happen, not while we are playing the youth team in defense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

This bale thing has been getting a lot of coverage. Any decent person covering it?
    Could play him out wide and di Maria in the center. Can bale play on the right?

Won't happen, not while we are playing the youth team in defense

It won't happen. Forget about it. More chance of Messi coming.

He's one of Ancelotti's favourite players. United would be a step down for him, at Real he is in with a genuine shot at winning the Champs league and Spanish league every year.

In short, there is more chance of Ronaldo joining Everton than Bale coming to United. They were looking to get rid of Di Maria, good knows why as he is an excellent player but they aren't about to take a loss or break even on an 80m player who the manages cherishes.

He's one of Ancelotti's favourite players. United would be a step down for him, at Real he is in with a genuine shot at winning the Champs league and Spanish league every year.

In short, there is more chance of Ronaldo joining Everton than Bale coming to United. They were looking to get rid of Di Maria, good knows why as he is an excellent player but they aren't about to take a loss or break even on an 80m player who the manages cherishes.

I haven't been watching much of him..is his form really that good under Ancelotti?
    And is he a regular starter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Good contribution but your example is flawed.

The chances of him Joining United is about a 4. The chances of him joining Everton or, say, Liverpool is a zero.

And it's begging to hype up and stir even more... this time Sky Sports saying it, such bull****!
    Manchester United are planning on swapping midfielder Ander Herrera, as well as handing over £7m, in exchange for Bayern Munich playmaker Xherdan Shaqiri, claims the Sunday Express

Well I hope it dosent happen until the defense gets sorted. It's a better conversation to have than Leon Britton.

Yeah I think he starts. Think the fans want to see isco more though?

You would think the papers would link us with Ronaldo as he is older than bale and they can paint a story of bale being the heir apparent. A nice romantic story that football foams at the gash for. 'Ronnie' coming home for one last contract and letting bale take his spot.

advertsfox wrote: »
    And it's begging to hype up and stir even more... this time Sky Sports saying it, such bull****!

Very premature to get rid of Herrera so quickly...he's been decent and hasn't exactly got a major run in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The papers have no good stories to run so they are getting desperate and running a story out of their arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

UTD were dominating alright in terms of possession and territory but lacked real penetration, they were unable to break villa down with that killer pass. The only joy they recieved was with young on the left up against the very immobile Lowton on his first PL start of the season.

It could be argued that Benteke could have but villa up 2 nil in the 2nd half only for a fine save from De Gea from bentekes bullet of a header. Villa tactics worked UTD were poor and wasteful with the ball IMO and were nearly made to pay on the counter in the 93rd min but Bacuna could not find benteke at the far post.

A lot of UTD fans seem to think just because they had a lot of the ball and dominated terriorty for large parts of the game they deserved the win but again they didn't really threaten abit like role reversals in Utds games against arsenal and Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Very premature to get rid of Herrera so quickly...he's been decent and hasn't exactly got a major run in the side.

Word on the streets in Manchester is that he's hardly endeared himself to LVG recently,turning up late to training.

Did you hear the rubbish spouted by one of the co-commentators on our match against Villa last Saturday who was going on about Benteke being the best striker playing on the pitch. He then felt very justified when Benteke scored.
    Was delighted when Falcao scored...

zerks wrote: »
    Word on the streets in Manchester is that he's hardly endeared himself to LVG recently,turning up late to training.

LVG comes across as a man who wouldn't tolerate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I haven't been watching much of him..is his form really that good under Ancelotti?
    And is he a regular starter?

yes same form as last year, he is a class player, would love him at united, goals, assists, pace, power he has everything.

he is not one of the Madrid fans favourites as Isco is having a good season and is Spanish, but Madrid would be looking at 70-80m in order to sell

Did you hear the rubbish spouted by one of the co-commentators on our match against Villa last Saturday who was going on about Benteke being the best striker playing on the pitch. He then felt very justified when Benteke scored.
    Was delighted when Falcao scored...

That was Brian little a villa legend so he might be a bit biased but he wouldn't be far off, put benteke in that UTD team or a top 4 team and he would make hay.

bangkok wrote: »
    yes same form as last year, he is a class player, would love him at united, goals, assists, pace, power he has everything.

he is not one of the Madrid fans favourites as Isco is having a good season and is Spanish, but Madrid would be looking at 70-80m in order to sell

Bale is doing far better than Isco in an attacking since in la liga this season and has scored 3 times as many goals from less appearances. Anyway they are not really like for like players while bale is a proven goal scorer Isco certainly isn't. No chance in the world of bale signing for UTD in the short term at least. The man is ripping it up in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Liam O wrote: »
    Most of Jones' appearances were when he was fully fit at the start of the season. Evans got a preseason injury and another one recently and has been rushed back this time anyway. I would hope that Evans has the more scope to improve with time though Jones was impressive at the start of the season. Good to have them both back and they'd be a good 2 at the back if Rafael and Rojo/Shaw/Blind could get back soon to shore up the full back positions.

How has Evans been rushed back from inury? He was out for ages and played an U-21 match when he came back to get match fit. Doesn't sound like he was rushed at all - the opposite in fact.

Evans has been very poor under LVG. From his performance in the 4-0 defeat to MK Dons to his last couple of games he's been dreadful. In fairness he hasn't got a chance in a back 4, he's been unlucky enough to be thrown into that disastrous back 3.

Still, I think his United career is in real danger. We will almost certainly be buying an experienced CB over the next two windows (possibly even 2).That would leave a minimum of 5 senior CBs at the club (new signing, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Rojo) with Blackett and McNair in reserve.

One of the senior lads will have to go. At the moment it's looking like Evans is the favorite. He needs to shape up quickly or he'll find that his United career will be over very soon IMO.

Well I hope it dosent happen until the defense gets sorted. It's a better conversation to have than Leon Britton.

Yeah I think he starts. Think the fans want to see isco more though?

You would think the papers would link us with Ronaldo as he is older than bale and they can paint a story of bale being the heir apparent. A nice romantic story that football foams at the gash for. 'Ronnie' coming home for one last contract and letting bale take his spot.

I'm glad that something I discussed annoyed you so much. I really hope all of my contributions make the thread less fun for you to read.

Quandary wrote: »
    I would prefer to see Di Maria played in a deeper role where he has a chance to get on the ball and influence the game more by taking the ball past players and picking out clever passes. I think his talents are wasted when he is played too far up the pitch or too wide.

I get the thinking for playing Di Maria in CM, but I really don't think he is wasted in either position if the team is set up right. He can take the ball past players and be into the box when he's playing further forward, it's not like that isn't also an excellent outcome.

For me, it all depends on whether we see the team clicking with any of these line-ups. There were some signs of it when we had Di Maria playing deeper earlier in the season, but not much, so I wouldn't be sure either way yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement