Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

bangkok wrote: »
    why do you think Brendan rogers never took him to Liverpool then if he was so good?

Rodgers thought Gerrard could play regista, just like Pirlo. I think Rodgers has proven himself to be a poor judge of players when he has had to find his own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    Rodgers thought Gerrard could play regista, just like Pirlo. I think Rodgers has proven himself to be a poor judge of players when he has had to find his own way.

but sure if his asking price was only 1m-2m why not just buy him if he was that good and rogers would have seen this day in day out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

why do you think Brendan rogers never took him to Liverpool then if he was so good?

Maybe he was told he could have one of Allen or Britton but not both and took Allen
    I don't think you can deride someone for having an uncommon opinion.

This is very fair, and said poster had a lot of "Out there" posts which we've no need to discuss again.

Everyone is entitled to a fair and considered point so long as its not being an absolute troll..

But anyways lads its christmas lets all be happy and friendly for once.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

it was only a question I asked

I know. But I know where you are going with it.
    You use to have mental notions a few months ago.

but sure if his asking price was only 1m-2m why not just buy him if he was that good and rogers would have seen this day in day out

• Advertisement

I know. But I know where you are going with it.
    You use to have mental notions a few months ago.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

:confused:

I'm not gonna go through your post history to show you that you have had crazier notions that Britton is better than carrick.

I think you know yourself.

I'm not gonna go through your post history to show you that you have had crazier notions that Britton is better than carrick.

I think you know yourself.

no I don't actually.. "Britton better than Carrick" I still laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Reus as a CM for Utd was pretty far out there in the grand scheme of things.

Lads, don't bite at this
    You're all better than it....
    Keep it classy and report if you're not happy

Mods, hope i'm not back seating modding there. I've hopped of said poster before more than most so I'd not like to see good posters getting carded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Hull showing an interest in Januzaj for a January loan.

Would be a great idea imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Vlaar and Strootman would be great additions next month

Would like a quick wide player too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Hull showing an interest in Januzaj for a January loan.

Would be a great idea imo.

Would be perfect for him. He needs a loan to a BPL team even for 6 months could really help him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

vlaar, Strootman, Depay January

Total football Dutch philisophy ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

Leon Britton the best DM in the Premiership? Surely this is a wind up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

For Christmas, if we can get Vlaar, Depay and LVG do forget about 3 or 5 at the back I will be very happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Danye wrote: »
    Leon Britton the best DM in the Premiership? Surely this is a wind up?

Surely we can forget about it as it's been done to death a few days ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Linked with Strootman with a Jan move. Wouldn't be a bad idea, I know many would love to wait till summer to sign him but Jan move also makes sense as it gives some time to adapt to league and get ready for next season like Vidic and Evra did.

Also the more I watch Shawcross the more I want us to stay well clear of him. He looks so clumsy, he has got Skrtel syndrome.Just wanted him as a quick fix in Jan but not anymore.

I think that if you don't have at least a few opinions on football that run contrary to the generally accepted wisdom then you aren't putting much thought into it.

This season we've all - myself included - been talking about how we can see significant benefits from playing Di Maria in a deep, central position. How much support would that idea have had if Ancelotti hadn't already been playing him there for Madrid? Fùck all, that's how much.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

zerks wrote: »
    Michael Owen has said on BT that Liverpool should go for Pogba to replace Gerard,I thought they were nearly broke after King Kenny & Brendan pissing away over £300 million between them.
    We are reticent to spending upwards of £70 million on bringing him back to United,I doubt Liverpool are in any position to match that fee.

Are you saying Paul Pogba would cost £70m to buy?

What? Surely you got your 7's and 3's mixed up. Either way Liverpool won't be buying anyone whose cost starts with a 3 (in the 10's of millions), never mind a 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Today children, 5starpool will talk about the numbers 3, 7 and 10........

Kirby wrote: »
    Today children, 5starpool will talk about the numbers 3, 7 and 10........

And 70m. Don't forget 70m.

70m for Pogba? Not a hope

Daily Fail again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Would be surprised if Pogba didn't go for mad money tbh

Maybe not 70 but crazy, especially if the likes of Sterling are being quoted at 50 million by Liverpool fans when he had a decent season once

Would be surprised if Pogba didn't go for mad money tbh

Maybe not 70 but crazy, especially if the likes of Sterling are being quoted at 50 million by Liverpool fans when he had a decent season once

Numbers papers make up are crazy, as are fans who believe that Pogba is worth 70m or Sterling is worth 50m.

They are probably respectively worth a maximum of £35m and £30m given their ages, potential and career to date.

I think that if you don't have at least a few opinions on football that run contrary to the generally accepted wisdom then you aren't putting much thought into it.

This season we've all - myself included - been talking about how we can see significant benefits from playing Di Maria in a deep, central position. How much support would that idea have had if Ancelotti hadn't already been playing him there for Madrid? Fùck all, that's how much.

Bit of an exaggeration. Di Maria had already moved advanced central for Madrid. Going a bit deeper would not have been a crazy jump or idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Daniel Taylor said a few months ago that United were quoted £60m for Pogba when they enquired under Moyes.

All the mooted figures I've seen for Pogba have been at least £50m. Not saying he's worth that but I think that's the ball park figure you'd have to pay to get him.

Well if he does move we'll find out I guess. At a minimum of £50m in the FPP world there are only perhaps 5-6 clubs who could/would pay that for him anyhow. If he doesn't move it's probably a moot point.

Bit of an exaggeration. Di Maria had already moved advanced central for Madrid. Going a bit deeper would not have been a crazy jump or idea.

How much support would the idea of playing Di Maria from a deep central position have gotten before he started to play centrally, in any form, for Madrid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

How much support would the idea of playing Di Maria from a deep central position have gotten before he started to play centrally, in any form, for Madrid?

How much support would playing Wayne Rooney at the World Cup have gotten if he'd actually been a pub landlord?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Or maybe it doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I don't see Pogba moving for anything under 50million. I think City go after him at some point, Probably to replace Toure.

I thought they'd have to cash in on Vidal in order to secure him for another few years (which they managed anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Another example you could use to support your point is how many people would have considered it in any way viable to play Philip Lahm as a DM 2 years ago?

Or Stewart Downing as a #10 this season?

Not many.

How much support would playing Wayne Rooney at the World Cup have gotten if he'd actually been a pub landlord?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Or maybe it doesn't make sense.

What I'm saying is that a lot of fans who discuss football (maybe the majority of posters in this forum) are overly concerned with observing the decisions succesful managers make and then shaping their own opinions to match. This makes defending opinions easier, but it also inhibits genuine insight.

The idea of Di Maria being useful in the team when playing centrally is now commonly accepted on this thread. But if anybody had suggested it a few years ago, before he started getting games there for his club, it would not have been well received.

Ok, so if we imagine a ficticious scenario where Di Maria never played centrally for Madrid ever that would improve your point a little.

Unfortunatley Di Maria did play centrally for Madrid and was a star there so I have no interest in discussing make believe scenarios with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What I'm saying is that a lot of fans who discuss football (maybe the majority of posters in this forum) are overly concerned with observing the decisions succesful managers make and then shaping their own opinions to match. This makes defending opinions easier, but it also inhibits genuine insight.

The idea of Di Maria being useful in the team when playing centrally is now commonly accepted on this thread. But if anybody had suggested it a few years ago, before he started getting games there for his club, it would not have been well received.
    That's a good point.

But don't go overboard with it. There is a danger that thinking like that can excuse ridiculous idea's and opinions under the guise of being an unconventional genius.

"Oh it's an out of the box idea!"
    Sometimes it's just plain stupid and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Ok, so if we imagine a ficticious scenario where Di Maria never played centrally for Madrid ever that would improve your point a little.

Unfortunatley Di Maria did play centrally for Madrid and was a star there so I have no interest in discussing make believe scenarios with you.

He said before he started playing centrally.

Fùcking hell. Talk about making heavy work out of a simple point.

Fair enough. My response would effectively be what Kirby has written above then. ;)

This looks like a reply for just a sake of disagreeing with him. His point was simple and clear.

Kirby wrote: »
    That's a good point.

But don't go overboard with it. There is a danger that thinking like that can excuse ridiculous idea's and opinions under the guise of being an unconventional genius.

"Oh it's an out of the box idea!"
    Sometimes it's just plain stupid and wrong.

What's the danger, that we'll be overrun with people with uncovpnventional ideas? Not much chance of that I think. The vast majority of opinions expressed in this thread are shared by large numbers of other posters. As long as each idea is supported by a logical argument I wouldn't worry.

• Advertisement

Lads would gifs of bewbs make you all happier, some heated discussions in here today...
    Max you're normally a great man for the gifs ;)

Blatter wrote: »
    Another example you could use to support your point is how many people would have considered it in any way viable to play Philip Lahm as a DM 2 years ago?

Or Stewart Downing as a #10 this season?

Not many.

There are plenty of examples in the last 5-6 years.

Blind was a LB flop at Ajax and who would have thought that he would be signed by ManUtd as a DM.

Bale looked so awful when he just started to play on right wing and I for one hated that. Always believed he should be played as LW to stretch the teams but he was just amazing as RW year later.

Dembele was moved from striker to CM position.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    He said before he started playing centrally.

I know thats exactly the point I was addressing? He wants to have discussion about a player who never played centrally playing centarally, when said player has, so its a pointless one.
    Fùcking hell. Talk about making heavy work out of a simple point.

Ah right, I guess you don't like bring jumped on either, for any minor indescretions you may type.

So we'll leave it.

Merry Christmas Pro F

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    This looks like a reply for just a sake of disagreeing with him. His point was simple and clear.

His inital point was comparing his Carrick/Britton statement to the idea of Di Maria playing deep centerally in terms of bring out there statements.

I offered the opinion it wasn't a crazy idea as Di Maria plays well as a ACM. Pro F then moved the goalposts a bit with lets imaginie Di Maria never played centerally, so I called him on it as we know how strict he is on that happening.

It wasn't disagreeing for the sake of it, both of his points were silly but I have said I have no interest on getting into it any further.

Merry Christmas Giggsy

but when I said to play marco reus there I got widely ridiculed.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I know thats exactly the point I was addressing? He wants to have discussion about a player who never played centrally playing centarally, when said player has, so its a pointless one.

Ah right, I guess you don't like bring jumped on either, for any minor indescretions you may type.

So we'll leave it.

Merry Christmas Pro F

No he doesn't.

So we'll leave it.

Merry Christmas Pro F

Well done on entering the conversation, contributing nothing, getting in a huff and leaving. Your gold star is in the post.

Merry Christmas Giggsy

Merry Christmas mate..

brinty wrote: »
    Lads would gifs of bewbs make you all happier, some heated discussions in here today...
    Max you're normally a great man for the gifs ;)

You know I love an aul GIF brinty, but I wouldn't want to be upsetting the Right Honourable TSC this close to Christmas.

Have I got his title right? I'm bad at titles.

Senator TSC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

but when I said to play marco reus there I got widely ridiculed.....

Post of the year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement