Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Nice article here on some of the rumours about strootman & hummels. Looks like another transfer window where journalists will write their click bait headlines

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/marcotti-musings/62/post/2214588/manchester-united-kevin-strootman-mats-hummels-rumors-are-transfer-nonsense-gab-marcotti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thankfully the January one isn't as active normally and only lasts the month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Where does Rodgers say Utd wouldn't have a chance at Champions League for years?

All I see is if Utd were out of it for years they'd struggle like Liverpool to attract the best players.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

glued wrote: »
    Let's hope we all don't have to suffer through another window of 'tier 1' journalists reporting nonsense and people swallowing every word they type.

When will people understand that the majority of football writers have no fúcking clue what they're talking about. You won't see some sub-editor ringing up the likes of Jonathon Wilson, Sid Lowe, Tim Vickery etc. to publish a transfer rumour article.

People think that some of these hacks have 'insider knowledge' or have access to Woodward or a press officer. The club tell these people whatever the hell they want to. The club isn't going to ring Miguel Delaney or Jamie Jackson and say "Hey, man, I'm just trying to do a deal for Falcao here would you mind telling everyone?".

It's kind of like trying it on with a girl but just as you start making your move, you stop to tell the local loud mouth that you're going to bang this girl. However, now if she rejects you then you're completely humiliated as the big fat loud mouth has just told the whole town. Obviously the girl finds out and doesn't want you and subsequently you also have to deal with the stigma of being that cocky ar$sehole who told everyone he was going to bang this bird. Now no girl wants you. Well done!

Did that happen you? Come on, you can tell your buddies on the superthread. We won't judge.

We might judge a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

It's alright man. There's always New Years. We go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Ron Vlaar will be a target, given how Van Gaal spoke about him before the Villa game, stating how important a player he was for him and the glowing assessment of him.

Vlaar isn't signing a new contract and we need a good defender and is more realistic than the other names listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Billy86 wrote: »
    Alan Shearer is some gas man... Ivanovic diving was appalling, inexcusable, etc, etc but when Gouffran (I believe?) goes over against us with less contact (none, actually) on his legs, and without anyone getting their arm across like Andy Carroll did, "I think he might actually fall over his own feet, just get his feet caught up there. I can't be 100% and get that right, but that's what it looks like." Funny how he then appeals for a penalty, eh? :rolleyes:

What do you expect? A; he's a geordie through and through and B; he's always hated United.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

nullzero wrote: »
    What do you expect? A; he's a geordie through and through and B; he's always hated United.

Oh I know, I just find it laughable how poor some of these 'pundits' are at their jobs with clearly biased opinions - the same goes for Charlie Nicholas and Paul Merson with anything Arsenal related over on Sky, it's just weird how their co-presenters never really point it out. At least with the likes of Phil Thompson it's all out in the open and becomes little more thaan a bit of a laugh because of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Oh I know, I just find it laughable how poor some of these 'pundits' are at their jobs with clearly biased opinions - the same goes for Charlie Nicholas and Paul Merson with anything Arsenal related over on Sky, it's just weird how their co-presenters never really point it out. At least with the likes of Phil Thompson it's all out in the open and becomes little more thaan a bit of a laugh because of it

Paul merson ? He can be very critical of Arsenal at times. So that point isnt fair.

• Advertisement

Paul merson ? He can be very critical of Arsenal at times. So that point isnt fair.

I find him very reactionary to be honest in that sense - he's extremely quick to jump on the hype train that used to surround anyone under 21 who got a sniff of the Arsenal bench, but then is often let down when they don't start dominating the league soon after, for example. He's not as bad a Nicholas though granted.

Looks like di maria is going to be out for the Xmas period. Pelvic injury suffered in training. No confirmed return date until its assessed.

Sigh

Think the doc posted yesterday but wtf is going on in training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

10425843_1258480620858818_1894839174174233404_n.jpg?oh=1463946fc04b02a4365eff3fd60d95ea&oe=552E9568

That's... probably not the picture you should be using in response to people earlier in the season accusing LVG of being "a fraud". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How does one injury their pelvis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

RasTa wrote: »
    I imagine like puke.gif

phil-babb-vasectomy-o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Post reported NSFW :(:(:(:(:(:( wheres the pukey smiley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

RasTa wrote: »

Giggity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Had an ol' goo at the United teamsheet according to the Fantasy Football. (All the yellow/red are injuries)

332856.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Papers reporting that ADM has advised we sign Gaitan from Benfica. Im not familiar with him at all, any use?

Release fee less than £30m.

What the hell is all these injuries about?? World cup having its affect. Whats Rojo out with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Papers reporting that ADM has advised we sign Gaitan from Benfica. Im not familiar with him at all, any use?

Release fee less than £30m.

He's been touted for a move too us for along time! I "think" he's around 25/26

*edit

Yup he's 26 and plays as a number 10

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolás_Gaitán

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

RobertKK wrote: »

That doesn't bode well for Powell, I doubt LVG will put up with crap like that if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The Rojo one is a thigh injury isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

RobertKK wrote: »

Powell will be off in the summer if that's true. Can't imagine Van Gaal will put up with that attitude.

Edit: I've just realised that I've said the exact same thing as Duffman. I'm tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

The Powell story is odd given the same paper reported the same story over 3 weeks ago!

He scored a brace for Leicesters youth team last week as well. Ability was never the issue with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Does anyone genuinely believe Manchester United are signing Bale and Hummels in the Summer?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Dayum wrote: »
    Does anyone genuinely believe Manchester United are signing Bale and Hummels in the Summer?!

Yes. Ronaldo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

We signed Di Maria and Falcao last summer....anything is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What do you mean? As in pffft utd are a mid table side, no one will go there.

Or they cost too much?

A big defender will be bought, no doubt, as for bale, I don't think he is a target, but either was falcoa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

What do you mean? As in pffft utd are a mid table side, no one will go there.

Or they cost too much?

A big defender will be bought, no doubt, as for bale, I don't think he is a target, but either was falcoa

No, not as in "pffft"....

No, as in "regardless of price, sometimes these things are not always possible"...the stars don't align etc...

No, not as in "pffft"....

No, as in "regardless of price, sometimes these things are not always possible"...the stars don't align etc...

Why isn't it possible. Let's say hypothetically utd bid for bale and hummels, it got accepted.

Would certainly be a good career move for hummels.
    Bale is playing in the best team in the world, couldn't see him moving unless he was told he can go. Maybe he dosent like Madrid. We don't know his personal stuff.

So while it's unlikely, it is possible.

But I don't think bale is a target anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

My concern with United at the moment is the unbalance, when/if everyone gets fit where do we fit everyone in. At the moment one from Falcao, RVP, Mata , Rooney and Di-Maria has to be left out. As good as he was yesterday Rooney isn't a central midfielder and will be back up front when Blind and Fellani are fit, its all well and good playing him in central midfield against the likes of Newcastle but he wont play there if when we play Chelsea or the other big teams, I am also looking to next season and whether we sign Bale or not LVG likes his wide attacking players, he would love Bale on one side and Robben on the other and 1 focal point striker leading the line, now whether he targets these stars or not is open for debate but he may target lesser known players of this type like Cuadrado

Here's a formation for the laugh but its way too attacking

De Gea
    Rafael
    Jones
    Rojo
    Shaw----
    Rooney
    Carrick
    Di Maria

Mata

Falcao
    RVP

My concern with United at the moment is the unbalance, when/if everyone gets fit where do we fit everyone in. At the moment one from Falcao, RVP, Mata , Rooney and Di-Maria has to be left out. As good as he was yesterday Rooney isn't a central midfielder and will be back up front when Blind and Fellani are fit, its all well and good playing him in central midfield against the likes of Newcastle but he wont play there if when we play Chelsea or the other big teams, I am also looking to next season and whether we sign Bale or not LVG likes his wide attacking players, he would love Bale on one side and Robben on the other and 1 focal point striker leading the line, now whether he targets these stars or not is open for debate but he may target lesser known players of this type like Cuadrado

Here's a formation for the laugh but its way too attacking

De Gea
    Rafael
    Jones
    Rojo
    Shaw----
    Rooney
    Carrick
    Di Maria

Mata

Falcao
    RVP
    So you're concerned we are too unbalanced and attack-heavy, but look forward to us signing two pretty high profile attacking players in the summer? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

So you're concerned we are too unbalanced and attack-heavy, but look forward to us signing two pretty high profile attacking players in the summer? :p

I never said I was looking forward to, I said I was looking to which implies what will happen whether I like it or now. we are still 2 central midfielders, 1 right back and 1 central defender from challenging Chelsea and City and since LVP likes wide attacking players I can only envision changes up top too

I never said I was looking forward to, I said I was looking to which implies what will happen whether I like it or now. we are still 2 central midfielders, 1 right back and 1 central defender from challenging Chelsea and City and since LVP likes wide attacking players I can only envision changes up top too
    Ah right, misread here you said "looking to meet season" as "looking forward to". When all are fit and healthy anyway ADM is best as a wide player though we might see someone more direct for the right, all the same we don't know at all if Falcao is being kept on and RVP will turn 32 in August so one high profile wide player could be of benefit depending on circumstances, especially since we *touch wood* should also have CL matches to rotate with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I find him very reactionary to be honest in that sense - he's extremely quick to jump on the hype train that used to surround anyone under 21 who got a sniff of the Arsenal bench, but then is often let down when they don't start dominating the league soon after, for example. He's not as bad a Nicholas though granted.

I mean I don't think they're good enough Jeff, they is very poor, I mean I fear for them Jeff I really do

Granted he doesnt work for Sky but Utds own Lou Macari is the most biased of all 'pundits' out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Granted he doesnt work for Sky but Utds own Lou Macari is the most biased of all 'pundits' out there.

Paddy Crerand had to be worse in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Lads niall Quinn is the worst IMO the amount of sucking up he does to man city is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

They're all ****e bar Garry and Jamie on MNF. Graeme 'The last 20 years didn't happen" Souness does my ****ing nut in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Has the match thread gone up yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Has the match thread gone up yet?

Why don't you, you know, check?

When all fit I'd go for...

___________De Gea_____________
    _______Smalling__Jones________
    Rafael____________________Shaw
    ____________Carrick_____________
    ______Rooney____Di Maria_______
    _____________Mata_______________
    _______Falcao____RvP___________

Or...

Rafael___________________Shaw
    ______Herrera____Di Maria_______
    _____________Rooney_____________

There's an argument to get Fellaini in there instead of Herrera and Rojo instead of Jones but the reason I prefer Mata at 10 to Rooney is Mata is more likely to look for the pass at the edge of the box whereas Rooney tends to take a shot, which would starve Falcao and RvP of ball.

That being said I think Herrera gives a better balance in midfield than Rooney since he's a natural midfielder.
    The calmness that Carrick brings to our play is outstanding, Blind cannot match him in that regard.
    Fletcher shouldn't even make the bench and I really don't think Evans should be a starter when we have everyone fit at the back, I just don't think he's at the level we would want our CB's to be at and I don't see him getting there.

our friend in the stand
    https://vine.co/v/OHHvp1DI2z5

• Advertisement

When all fit I'd go for...

Rafael____________________Shaw
    ______Rooney____Di Maria_______
    _____________Mata_______________

Or...

Rafael___________________Shaw
    ______Herrera____Di Maria_______
    _____________Rooney_____________

There's an argument to get Fellaini in there instead of Herrera and Rojo instead of Jones but the reason I prefer Mata at 10 to Rooney is Mata is more likely to look for the pass at the edge of the box whereas Rooney tends to take a shot, which would starve Falcao and RvP of ball.

That being said I think Herrera gives a better balance in midfield than Rooney since he's a natural midfielder.
    The calmness that Carrick brings to our play is outstanding, Blind cannot match him in that regard.
    Fletcher shouldn't even make the bench and I really don't think Evans should be a starter when we have everyone fit at the back, I just don't think he's at the level we would want our CB's to be at and I don't see him getting there.

If you think Herrera is a better fit for 10 and mata is a better option at 10 then why play rooney in either of those positions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Luke Shaw has travelled with the squad for the Spurs game tomorrow. Nice to have him back.

If you think Herrera is a better fit for 10 and mata is a better option at 10 then why play rooney in either of those positions?

I should have elaborated more, while Herrera may balance the midfield more I think Rooney is capable of that special bit of magic like those insanely accurate through balls to RVP, he's more likely to play a pass instead of shoot when further back. I think he makes us more potent in attack with his runs into the box and superior shooting skills. I'm sacrificing midfield balance for a more aggressive attack.

If you were to go with a more balanced midfield (with Herrera) then Mata would be sacrificed, not least because LVG says "his captain will always play" and I think RVP and Falcao are better in the striker position than Rooney, not by much though. I'm picking a team that I think LVG would realistically play.

I should have elaborated more, while Herrera may balance the midfield more I think Rooney is capable of that special bit of magic like those insanely accurate through balls to RVP, he's more likely to play a pass instead of shoot when further back. I think he makes us more potent in attack with his runs into the box and superior shooting skills. I'm sacrificing midfield balance for a more aggressive attack.

If you were to go with a more balanced midfield (with Herrera) then Mata would be sacrificed, not least because LVG says "his captain will always play" and I think RVP and Falcao are better in the striker position than Rooney, not by much though. I'm picking a team that I think LVG would realistically play.

Fair enough the LVG bit but you opened with "When all fit I'd go for..."

If rooney/anyone isnt the best in any particular position he shouldnt be playing, imo he is one of the top 2 striking options we have and as such he should be played there. I understand having him back where he is atm but as you said, assuming all fit.

Fair enough the LVG bit but you opened with "When all fit I'd go for..."

If rooney/anyone isnt the best in any particular position he shouldnt be playing, imo he is one of the top 2 striking options we have and as such he should be played there. I understand having him back where he is atm but as you said, assuming all fit.

I should change it to "When all fit I think the best teams we'll get are.." :pac:
    Yeah I get ya, and it's just my opinion but I don't think Rooney is selfless enough when played as a striker with RVP. I think with him in midfield and Falcao up front and Mata at 10 our attack is that little bit more potent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement