Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

kryogen wrote: »
    Delighted to see Everton continue the downward trajectory under him, only QPR concede more goals in the league, took him one season to undo all the excellent work Moyes had done with Everton defensively.

Couldn't be happier for him, genuinely.

On to United, though I didn't get to actually see much of the match yet I feel disappointed that we missed a chance to get closer to the top two looking at the other results, I saw Rafael on the field which please me and hopefully now he will be back in the team, Shaw also.

Anyone wanna give me a quick summary of the match? Who played well etc? On the phone so don't enjoy searching the thread for that :)

First half was probably best 45 min performance under LVG, should have had it wrapped up by then.
    Decent for first 15-20 mins of second half before tiring/spurs coming into it. Last 10 spurs well on top without looking like winning it bar Mason chance.
    Mata was Utd's best player, probably his best showing since joining the club, could easily have has a few assists with better finishing.
    The annoying thing for me was the amount of hoofing out from the back by Jones in particular, given the players skill set in those positions it is the definite drawback of the current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

That Falcao stat is gas. He got some treatment today and he's been kicked from pillar to post since he came back against Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

After seeing both Chelsea and City drawing, I'm even more annoyed over the draw with Spurs, was a good opportunity to close the gap and put some jitters into the top 2, and some real credance behind the claims of "title contenders"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

https://twitter.com/falcao/status/549323257728753664

Here's hoping Falcao can bounce back v Stoke.

Said I would be happy enough with 4 points from Spurs and Stoke and I still would.

Very pleasing first half. Felt we were better side, but its no defeats now since City.
    Yep, could easily been 3-0 at the break but I wouldn't be overly disappointed as things are starting to take shape nicely. Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Ander & Di Maria all to come back too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im delighted in how we are progressing. I was over the moon with the first half of todays match. Spurs brought us down to their level in that 2nd half thou. They also kicked the opposition none stop too.

Rooney has took to this new position like a duck to water. He has been quite good.

Headshot wrote: »
    Rooney has took to this new position like a duck to water. He has been quite good.
    A word for Mata too - absolutely exceptional in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

irishfeen wrote: »
    A word for Mata too - absolutely exceptional in the first half.

Iv always had faith in him. Im a big fan. He was awesome today and some of his touches were truly world class tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Chucky, I understand you're an avid reader of this thread so the bet is still available if you want it.

However I'm sure you won't, as we both know you were spouting nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Referee was terrible to be fair to him, you couldn't throw your weight around and be physical in that game or it was blown up immediately.

Yet someone studded Carra in the knee and only got a yellow. Did you see what Falcao got his yellow card for? Farcical

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Chucky, I understand you're an avid reader of this thread so the bet is still available if you want it.

However I'm sure you won't, as we both know you were spouting nonsense.

What bet?

Is it like mine? I have 4 separate bets with Liverpool fans in work for the finishing positions this season, quite enjoying it so far

https://twitter.com/orafa2/status/549322713873907712

Don't mind seeing the players disappointed one bit - reminds me of United under SAF where winning is what we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I can never actually see anything in those posts other a twitter link, literally no content whatsoever. Pissing me off at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I can never actually see anything in those posts other a twitter link, literally no content whatsoever. Pissing me off at this point

What browser app interface you using?

What bet?

Is it like mine? I have 4 separate bets with Liverpool fans in work for the finishing positions this season, quite enjoying it so far

He said united were a poor team and Liverpool would catch us if they got a decent run of games, so I proposed a 50e bet to charity that they won't, which he will ignore of course as he knows he was spouting nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Yet someone studded Carra in the knee and only got a yellow. Did you see what Falcao got his yellow card for? Farcical

Yeah, good case for a red card there alright. There were 2 perfectly legitimate (IMO) shoulder to shoulder incidents, one for and one against that were blown for frees, that just pissed me off.

Then you have the likes of Swarbrick where you would need to break someone in half for the chance of a drop-ball...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well with all the grandads at United ready for the retirement home the spring young ducks at Liverpool are obviously going to do better. I would take it Chucky if you're around. I'll even add 20 of my own to the charity if you win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Headshot wrote: »
    Im delighted in how we are progressing. I was over the moon with the first half of todays match. Spurs brought us down to their level in that 2nd half thou. They also kicked the opposition none stop too.

No, Rooney can't play in midfield, he's a striker. And Juan Mata isn't a United player and was a waste of money. And David De Gea is too slight, Anders Lindegaard #1!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

RvP put this up and captioned it with "One of those days" http://instagram.com/p/xKTne5w-lu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    No, Rooney can't play in midfield, he's a striker. And Juan Mata isn't a United player and was a waste of money. And David De Gea is too slight, Anders Lindegaard #1!!

Don't even get me started on Fellaini and the spoofer lvg!!

Comfortably in third after spending 150 jillion. What a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Funny thing is Moyes was closer to the top at this stage of the season last year than LVG is. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Funny thing is Moyes was closer to the top at this stage of the season last year than LVG is. ;)
    We were 6th at this stage last season, we're now 3rd.

3 comes before 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

8bLBjfh.gif

We were 6th at this stage last season, we're now 3rd.

3 comes before 6.

You might want to keep the words below 4 letters if you want him to understand that retort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Is anyone else mildly annoyed with how LvG has handled these two Xmas games?

Yes, they come very close together and he was perfectly entitled to complain about it at the press conferences before and after the game but it's the same for everyone so at least attempt to deal with it. We have heaps of injuries so I know it's tough but perhaps it would've been better to not start the same XI that played on Friday and then you wouldn't have to make all three substitutions to deal with fatigue and issues brought on by playing twice in 2 days. A cynical person could even suggest that it was done in order to have a ready made excuse such the result/performance turn out to be inadequate.

It's even funnier when I would prefer lvg over moyes any day of the week.

Moyes didn't work out, he didn't have the character to handle a dressing room where the players have won everything. That's football.

You can't possibly compare the 2 of them. Moyes was a gamble, a great manager for a club with aspirations of trying, but not a team with ambition. He had his moments though.

He would be a much better fit for Liverpool then utd. Not trying to have a dig by the way. Success at Liverpool isn't measured in trophies won, but more so a good run up the leauge and getting champions leauge, maybe coming third. He was great at Everton with the players he had.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Is anyone else mildly annoyed with how LvG has handled these two Xmas games?

Yes, they come very close together and he was perfectly entitled to complain about it at the press conferences before and after the game but it's the same for everyone so at least attempt to deal with it. We have heaps of injuries so I know it's tough but perhaps it would've been better to not start the same XI that played on Friday and then you wouldn't have to make all three substitutions to deal with fatigue and issues brought on by playing twice in 2 days. A cynical person could even suggest that it was done in order to have a ready made excuse such the result/performance turn out to be inadequate.

Take the tin foil hat off. Our squad depth is basically injured. Who do we rotate?

Wilson? He hasn't done anything and had been poor/average when played.
    Same with jan.

Throw in Anderson?
    More youth teamers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

We were 6th this stage last season, we're now 3rd.

3 comes before 6.

Technically he is right as we were only 8 points behind this time last year,

But in terms of our playing style and team spirit we are far far ahead of where we where

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

It's even funnier when I would prefer lvg over moyes any day of the week.

Moyes didn't work out, he didn't have the character to handle a dressing room where the players have won everything. That's football.

You can't possibly compare the 2 of them. Moyes was a gamble, a great manager for a club with aspirations of trying, but not a team with ambition. He had his moments though.

He would be a much better fit for Liverpool then utd. Not trying to have a dig by the way. Success at Liverpool isn't measured in trophies won, but more so a good run up the leauge and getting champions leauge, maybe coming third. He was great at Everton with the players he had.

And I'm not saying LVG is a terrible manager.

Martinez is also showing what a good manager Moyes is as well.

However, LVG is showing good progress but the progress he has shown so far has to be the least that can be expected from him after spending all the money and getting rid of the trouble makers in the team. He has also made mistakes and has been lucky imo. I think he'll win the league in the next 2 years due to more massive investment.

His persistence with the 5 at the back cost him points this season and would have cost more was DDG not in world class form. He was also praised during the WC for changing tactics during the match to combat the opposition yet Spurs dominated the second half completely today. Was there a need for both RVP and Falcao to be on the pitch when neither of them were even getting a touch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I'm glad that all this talk about United organising a title contention can die now such was it's lunacy...

With City and Chelsea being held today United would have moved within 6 points of Chelsea. They simply cannot afford to be dropping points against the likes of Spurs and Villa if you're serious about winning the Premier League.

Falcao's performance today was nothing short of a slap in the face to everyone that turned up to watch a decent game of football. United would want to be delusional to hand over money for his permanent services in the summer. I'm not saying he's a bad player - obviously he's not - but just going on his past performances....it has left a lot to be desired. It just hasn't been good enough for a player that would command that kind of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Funny thing is LVG has more points, despite having a backline mainly of Valencia/Young/McNair and if lucky more than one of Smalling/Jones/Evans/Blackett, compared to Ferdinand/Vidic/Evra. Strangely, our general play has been improving throughout the year rather than going backwards, he has the players respect (funny that, eh?) and our main tactic employed when we have a one goal lead with 20 minutes left isn't "sh*t yourselves". ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

4 points dropped from the last 3 games just won't cut it at the top and I think we can forget about any challenge for the title yet again which is disappointing. We really need to be beating the likes of Villa and Spurs if we're to have any chance. Having been very poor against villa the performance was much improved against Spurs especially first half. Spurs were awful. Unbelievable the we couldn't score. All the attacking talent in the team and we couldn't convert. We completely blew it imo. Taking defenders off because they were tired?? Bizarre. 2 wasted subs imo. Decent fixture list coming up, possible opportunity to string a few wins together.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

This is one line that is used by opposition fans when talking about improvement. The common line is "yeah he has spent 150 Million so it's hard not to improve" but no one points out that our new signings hardly played. Btw I know your post was sarcastic one. I'm just saying in general.

All the 6 players played combined 4144 mins which is 46 games between them.
    In total (for 11 players) we have played 18810 mins in the league. So that's only 22% of the total mins our new signings played.

So for 11 players total games will be 209 (11*19) and our new players played 46 games between them. Or average of just 7 games per player.

More or less Van Gaal achieved everything with same old players minus Vidic, Rio, Evra, Welbeck, Nani, Hernandez, Carrick who missed around 50% games

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Yesterday Mata was brilliant but to be fair to critics he was poor in most away games this season and we expect a lot from player of his caliber.

But yesterday he was class, like his Chelsea days. Wonderful pass to Rooney who messed it up, I think 2 very good passes to Falcao who messed both. IIRC he created 3 easy goal scoring chances and he had 1 very good chance. He is enjoying playing with playing like RVP and Falcao. Their movement and Mata's vision compliments excellently.

Also most refreshing thing about his performance yesterday was he was going for killer passes rather than taking safe option which he did a lot before.

Things are looking good for ManUtd. With Di Maria, Blind, Rafael, Shaw, Smalling back we should finish the season strongly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    4 points dropped from the last 3 games just won't cut it at the top and I think we can forget about any challenge for the title yet again which is disappointing.

In a weird way, I am just glad that we are back at he point to be disappointed about our chances of winning the title, and not just disappointed that we are struggling to get top 4....

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    This is one line that is used by opposition fans when talking about improvement. The common line is "yeah he has spent 150 Million so it's hard not to improve" but no one points out that our new signings hardly played. Btw I know your post was sarcastic one. I'm just saying in general.

All the 6 players played combined 4144 mins which is 46 games between them.
    In total (for 11 players) we have played 18810 mins in the league. So that's only 22% of the total mins our new signings played.

So for 11 players total games will be 209 (11*19) and our new players played 46 games between them. Or average of just 7 games per player.

More or less Van Gaal achieved everything with same old players minus Vidic, Rio, Evra, Welbeck, Nani, Hernandez, Carrick who missed around 50% games

Exactly.

The same team that had played the last few games has basically been last years team minus the lads you mentioned. We are relying on youth team players who weren't exactly special talents at youth level. Our only sub striker is Wilson, who should be off on loan.

It gives hope for the immediate future that we have the rest of the lads to come back and the medium future because the young lads have stepped up, but we shouldn't be depending on them.
    I'm confident of a third place finish, probably 10 or so points off 2nd and first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

It's good to see players coming back into the team. Hopefully LVG can keep them fit and the second half of the season should see the team go from strength to strength. It really does show the squad depth available to him though which bodes well for next year with playing in Europe. Would still like a centre half signed though, I like Blackett and McNair but there's a lot to be said for experience in the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Too many football fans expect to run before they can walk.

I included myself in that bracket in past.

7 wins and 2 draws is a very good return. I can never remember time we won league in past 20 years where we did not have at least 5-7 games where we dropped 2 points or more in winnable games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

It was good to Mata preform well and show bits of class but people saying he's turned it around and proven the doubters wrong after one game is a bit premature.

We all hope he does but its no good if he vanishes for the next ten games like he has in othesr. Fellaini and Young (just about) are in the "I've turned it around" territory, Matas not there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Yesterday Mata was brilliant but to be fair to critics he was poor in most away games this season and we expect a lot from player of his caliber.

But yesterday he was class, like his Chelsea days. Wonderful pass to Rooney who messed it up, I think 2 very good passes to Falcao who messed both. IIRC he created 3 easy goal scoring chances and he had 1 very good chance. He is enjoying playing with playing like RVP and Falcao. Their movement and Mata's vision compliments excellently.

Also most refreshing thing about his performance yesterday was he was going for killer passes rather than taking safe option which he did a lot before.

Things are looking good for ManUtd. With Di Maria, Blind, Rafael, Shaw, Smalling back we should finish the season strongly.

I like Mata - really I do, but that doesn't negate the fact that his purchase last January wasn't necessarily what the team required. Moyes paid 37m for him and threw him on the wing - precisely the reason Chelsea sold him in the first place when Mourinho said Juan Mata is definitively NOT a winger and that he couldn't be accommodated. It boggled the mind. Uniteds defense this time last year was and still is a total shambles.

Man Utd needs two world class centre backs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It was good to Mata preform well and show bits of class but people saying he's turned it around and proven the doubters wrong after one game is a bit premature.

We all hope he does but its no good if he vanishes for the next ten games like he has in othesr. Fellaini and Young (just about) are in the "I've turned it around" territory, Matas not there yet.

I for one didn't mean he has turned it around. Just having a laugh at the people who have said he's "past his peak" which would suggest he has lost something in his game that would leave him incapable of turning in a performance like that.
    It's all downhill from 25 years of age...

Dayum wrote: »
    I like Mata - really I do, but that doesn't negate the fact that his purchase last January wasn't necessarily what the team required. Moyes paid 37m for him and threw him on the wing - precisely the reason Chelsea sold him in the first place when Mourinho said Juan Mata is definitively NOT a winger and that he couldn't be accommodated. It boggled the mind. Uniteds defense this time last year was and still is a total shambles.

Man Utd needs two world class centre backs...

I agree in bits. Mata was a luxury signing but he was class player and player of the year in 2 years for Chelsea. When player of his caliber is available you have to make it count.

Also money was not a problem for ManUtd. I would rather see Mata at ManUtd than 37 Million in Glazer's bank account.

Also there isn't a team in the world having 2 world class CBs. Only team close to it is Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I'm actually delighted with how the team is progressing. After last year I feared we would be in the doldrums for a while and still have a small part of that fear in me. last season still has me shaken. But with LvG things have turned as of now, and I can only see them getting better. It's great to be back near the top of the table, but this year was only about getting top four. If we do that then we can kick on next season, I hope ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

For anyone looking for super positive to keep that title dream alive.

Chelsea playing "sensational stuff", largely unchanged and without injuries
    City are a bit wobbly, no Aguero until Feb? Mangala a disaster, Toure off to African nations?

Both have champions league to contend with ..

Us? Lagging behind, but sitting third ten points behind, with a decimated squad.

It wouldn't be ludicrous to suggest if the squad regains fitness and consistency that a title challenge would be on the cards second half of the season. Big IF regarding injuries.

I'm happy that in recent weeks we have settled on a formation and the team look to be getting settled with it as well.

Personally don't believe a title is likely, but do feel we can put the jitters into City and Chelsea. Happy Mata is starting to make a real impact and showing his class. Also somewhat content with Rooney in midfield, if he keeps those levels up happy days.

Concerned for Falcao, hopefully it's just getting match sharpness back, but I worry he is a Torres mark #2, serious injury enacts mental block to push himself. Havn't seen him explode once on the field. When I saw Falcao in his Madrid days, he had this explosive pace over the first 5-10 yards that gave him the space. Looks a bit laboured at the moment.

Part of me feels we won't finalise that deal, and we will see Cavani in red next summer.

Too many football fans expect to run before they can walk.

I included myself in that bracket in past.

7 wins and 2 draws is a very good return. I can never remember time we won league in past 20 years where we did not have at least 5-7 games where we dropped 2 points or more in winnable games
    In Kew we trust .. Bring home No. 21 man :)

TheDoc wrote: »
    For anyone looking for super positive to keep that title dream alive.

Chelsea playing "sensational stuff", largely unchanged and without injuries
    City are a bit wobbly, no Aguero until Feb? Mangala a disaster, Toure off to African nations?

Both have champions league to contend with ..

Us? Lagging behind, but sitting third ten points behind, with a decimated squad.

It wouldn't be ludicrous to suggest if the squad regains fitness and consistency that a title challenge would be on the cards second half of the season. Big IF regarding injuries.

I'm happy that in recent weeks we have settled on a formation and the team look to be getting settled with it as well.

Personally don't believe a title is likely, but do feel we can put the jitters into City and Chelsea.

Don't say that. Some people will ignore that big if part and quote your post in different thread saying 'lol manu fans think they can win titile".

On the second part, I'm sure formation will be changed again. Van Gaal said he is playing with wingbacks as Rafael and Shaw are injured, not with both back we might play 4 at the back which IMO we should do without second thoughts.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Concerned for Falcao, hopefully it's just getting match sharpness back, but I worry he is a Torres mark #2, serious injury enacts mental block to push himself. Havn't seen him explode once on the field. When I saw Falcao in his Madrid days, he had this explosive pace over the first 5-10 yards that gave him the space. Looks a bit laboured at the moment.

Part of me feels we won't finalise that deal, and we will see Cavani in red next summer.

I have no concerns about Falcao at all and not sure why so many were so knee jerk about his performance. Just 2 days back he was good against Newcastle. He is back from a lengthy injury and I think he has never in his life played so many games in such a short span of time even when he was fully fit. So 2 games in 40 odd hours makes the difference. It was very clear that he could barely run but for some reason Van Gaal left him on the pitch for 90 mins.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I'm actually delighted with how the team is progressing. After last year I feared we would be in the doldrums for a while and still have a small part of that fear in me. last season still has me shaken. But with LvG things have turned as of now, and I can only see them getting better. It's great to be back near the top of the table, but this year was only about getting top four. If we do that then we can kick on next season, I hope ☺
    Yep being so disappointed about yesterday's result against Spurs is a sure sign things are starting to come together.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I'd say everyone should be happy with our current situation. We're on a great unbeaten run, our line ups are getting consistent now, we're playing some great football at times, players are returning from injury and we still have the likes of rojo, di maria, blind and fellaini to return. I don't know about you but i'm happy.

The only thing that worries me is whether LVG is going to try change the system again and drop the likes of mata to accomodate blind and carrick in midfield to allow rooney to play a number 10 role. I really don't want carrick out of the line up especially after reading that stat yesterday about utd unbeaten with every game he starts. But i can't imagine carrick blind rooney and mata in the same squad unless LVG changes the system again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

In his two recent starts Falcao has been superb. I think he struggled to cope with the physicality of Spurs yesterday, which was down to some terrible refereeing. Once he gets more games under his belt he'll be flying. Guarantee it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement