Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I have no concerns about Falcao at all and not sure why so many were so knee jerk about his performance. Just 2 days back he was good against Newcastle. He is back from a lengthy injury and I think he has never in his life played so many games in such a short span of time even when he was fully fit. So 2 games in 40 odd hours makes the difference. It was very clear that he could barely run but for some reason Van Gaal left him on the pitch for 90 mins.

I cant understand why LVG didnt make a change up front. RVP and Falcao had 2/3 clear chances in the game and disnt take them. Falcao was obviously wacked after 50min... With spurs playing a high defensive line i think Wilson could have done damage. At least give him 10min... It would say to RVP/Falcao that their performance wasnt up to scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Weren't all 3 subs made due too injury lads? LVG is good but even he has too play by the rules and only make 3 sub's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Weren't all 3 subs made due too injury lads? LVG is good but even he has too play by the rules and only make 3 sub's

I think Valencia was injured, but Evans was just whipped off for sending one too many balls in to the stands.

I don't think Utd have much chance at winning the league but I've been thinking that there's no way Chelsea can pick essentially the same team in every single game of the season and expect them to keep the performance levels going. Ferguson always rotated his teams (bar a few key players), I think it keeps players fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I cant understand why LVG didnt make a change up front. RVP and Falcao had 2/3 clear chances in the game and disnt take them. Falcao was obviously wacked after 50min... With spurs playing a high defensive line i think Wilson could have done damage. At least give him 10min... It would say to RVP/Falcao that their performance wasnt up to scratch.

Valencia was a forced change sue to injury.

I'd say getting Shaw and Smalling some minutes was a priority. We had made a lot of chances and I guess he thought we might have snatched a winner and the back line needed some freshening up.

Tired minds make tired legs. Evans was sloppy as **** second half as was Jones . I think it was smart to get Shaw and Smalling in for game time...ensure we don't lose and hope to nick it.

I don't see Wilson coming on yesterday scoring . He's going to be just getting the odd runout IMO unless he starts scoring and forcing himself in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Well considering spurs were pressing us for the last 40 mins at their home and we were wrecked tired, I don't mind the subs being defensive.

No point in nbringing Wilson on when we are being pressed away from home, he would have been his ineffective best.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Valencia was a forced change sue to injury.

I'd say getting Shaw and Smalling some minutes was a priority. We had made a lot of chances and I guess he thought we might have snatched a winner and the back line needed some freshening up.

Tired minds make tired legs. Evans was sloppy as **** second half as was Jones . I think it was smart to get Shaw and Smalling in for game time...ensure we don't lose and hope to nick it.

I don't see Wilson coming on yesterday scoring . He's going to be just getting the odd runout IMO unless he starts scoring and forcing himself in

I think that was the game plan, attack for the first half and get the win in the first half because in the second they will be tired and away from home with spurs pressing. No point bringing on a striker when Evans is wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

MagicIRL wrote: »
    In his two recent starts Falcao has been superb. I think he struggled to cope with the physicality of Spurs yesterday, which was down to some terrible refereeing. Once he gets more games under his belt he'll be flying. Guarantee it.

I've been impressed with his work rate the last 2 games. The goals will come. I hope we don't have Moss as a ref for some time.

KH25 wrote: »
    I've been impressed with his work rate the last 2 games. The goals will come. I hope we don't have Moss as a ref for some time.

With Mata finding some serious form as that #10 with both RVP and Falcao running off him, 2015 is going to be superb.

There's still ADM to fit in to that XI as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Strongest XI????
    De Gea

Jones
    Carrick
    Rojo
    Rafael/Valencia
    Shaw
    Rooney
    Di Maria

Mata

van Persie
    Falcao

Subs: Lindegaard, Evans, Blind, Rafael/Valencia, Herrera, Fellaini/Fletcher, Wilson

EDIT That didnt come out right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Strongest XI????
    De Gea

Jones
    Carrick
    Rojo
    Rafael/Valencia
    Shaw
    Rooney
    Di Maria

Mata

van Persie
    Falcao

Subs: Lindegaard, Evans, Blind, Rafael/Valencia, Herrera, Fellaini/Fletcher, Wilson

EDIT That didnt come out right.

De Gea
    Rafael-Smalling-Rojo-Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera-Di Maria
    Mata
    RVP--Rooney

Lindegaard, Jones, Young, Blind, Fellaini, Falcao, Januzaj

De Gea
    Rafael - Smalling - Rojo - Shaw
    Carrick/Blind
    Rooney/Herrera - ADM
    Mata
    RVP - Falcao

Carrick plays as a DM on defense and a 3rd CB on attack which allows Rafael and Shaw to provide the width down each flank.

I'm not sure where Strootman fits in though, and I'm 100% sure he'll be a United player at some stage.

De Gea
    Rafael-Smalling-Rojo-Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera-Di Maria
    Mata
    RVP--Rooney

Lindegaard, Jones, Young, Blind, Fellaini, Falcao, Januzaj

Why effectively drop falcao for Herrera?rooney has probably played better than Herrera in midfield.

If anything I would drop mata for Rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

De Gea
    Carrick/Blind
    Rooney/Herrera - ADM
    Mata
    RVP - Falcao

Carrick plays as a DM on defense and a 3rd CB on attack which allows Rafael and Shaw to provide the width down each flank.

I'm not sure where Strootman fits in though, and I'm 100% sure he'll be a United player at some stage.

Replace Carrick as he ages? Bit weird tho as Blind already provides that. And has Strootman played in defence before?

We may even see Mata dropped for Di Maria, and have both Rooney and Herrera playing in front of Carrick.
    Carrick
    Rooney - Herrera
    Di Maria
    RVP - Falcao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Is anyone still hung up on the whole Vidal thing?

Or has that ship sailed?

Why effectively drop falcao for Herrera?rooney has probably played better than Herrera in midfield.

If anything I would drop mata for Rooney?

Because I think the side would be better balanced, more creative and a better unit with the 11 I suggest.

Dayum wrote: »
    Is anyone still hung up on the whole Vidal thing?

Or has that ship sailed?

That ship sailed out a long time ago and hit an iceberg on the way howling everyone utd were right to not go for him.
    After the summer he was still injured with his knee and it got worse. Woodward go awful stick over it, when it turned out he had done right thing

Think he is playing well now though? Saw his name pop up in a team of the week recently.

Because I think the side would be better balanced, more creative and a better unit with the 11 I suggest.

I think I would prefer falcao starting. Think the pros outweigh the cons. Even with Rooney instead of mata or Herrera in your team.
    I would go for Rooney instead of mata though, just based off recent performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

With the way the injuries are happening at United, I would expect Vidal to be dead by now had he signed in the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

With Champions league football next year we will need a much bigger squad .So we need a few more quality players .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Do ye think there will be any signings made in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yabadabado wrote: »

Anderson 4 year deal

guy has potential :p

De Gea
    Carrick/Blind
    Rooney/Herrera - ADM
    Mata
    RVP - Falcao

What were Holland playing before Strootman got borked, wasn't it a 4-2-3-1?

I normally don't foray into the tactical discussions, but while having deep thought on the throne as you do, the following found its way into my head

DDG
    Rafael----Jones----Rojo---Shaw
    ----Strootman----Blind----
    --Herrera----Rooney----Di Maria
    RVP

Dunno why or how. Just did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Trilla wrote: »
    Anderson 4 year deal

guy has potential :p

his performance against mk dons was something else definitely. Completely shocked me that he wasn't short-listed for the Ballon Dor :D

yabadabado wrote: »

There is something incredibly obvious and nearly inevitable with Vlaar at this stage.

I've been somewhat "meh" over that link from the get go, feeling there is good reason why he has been at Villa, but if 3-5-2 is going to be a "thing" , or if our defence are constantly going to do themselves in, might be no harm Van Gaal getting in someone he can trust, and someone more importantly who knows how Van Gaal wants to defend.

rebeve wrote: »
    With Champions league football next year we will need a much bigger squad .So we need a few more quality players .

When you think about it, we are somewhat avoiding a situation at present due to injury. But if ( and I will take any point that this is an unrealistic situation) but a squad that has no injuries. (I'm also just picking players once, ignoring the players with multiple roles)

GK : De Gea can play every game, sit out for capital one cup, no problems.
    RB: Rafael, Valencia.
    CB: Jones, Evans, Smalling, Rojo, McNair, Blacket
    LB: Young, Shaw.
    DM: Carrick, Blind, Fletcher
    Midfield : Herrera, Fellaini, Di Maria, Rooney, Mata, Januzaj
    ST: Falcao, Van Persie, Wilson

Twelve of those are sitting out every game. We've avoided situations of frustration at playing time due to injuries. But that is going to be a concern going forward. And bringing more quality signings, I don't know. a few gap fillers maybe.

Like in a fully fit midfield, you are picking one DM and two CM's( three players) from

Fellaini, Herrera, Di Maria, Rooney, Carrick, Fletcher, Mata, Blind.

Rooney is a given. So now you are down to two. Fletcher aside, you are going to have some pretty strong players warming a bench.

You'd also maybe draw the assumption when fit Di Maria will play, given his ability and price tag.

So now you have one DM spot, to pick from either Blind or Carrick. I'm not sure anyone wins having €50m+ off midfield in Herrera and Fellaini sitting on the bench as it is, so I doubt we need MORE. ( And we can probably assume Strootman will be thrown in that mix).

Talk about of Fletcher being sent out on loan in January, probably the smart move tbh. We've gone from no midfield to too many :D

When you think about it, we are somewhat avoiding a situation at present due to injury. But if ( and I will take any point that this is an unrealistic situation) but a squad that has no injuries. (I'm also just picking players once, ignoring the players with multiple roles)

GK : De Gea can play every game, sit out for capital one cup, no problems.
    RB: Rafael, Valencia.
    CB: Jones, Evans, Smalling, Rojo, McNair, Blacket
    LB: Young, Shaw.
    DM: Carrick, Blind, Fletcher
    Midfield : Herrera, Fellaini, Di Maria, Rooney, Mata, Januzaj
    ST: Falcao, Van Persie, Wilson

Twelve of those are sitting out every game. We've avoided situations of frustration at playing time due to injuries. But that is going to be a concern going forward. And bringing more quality signings, I don't know. a few gap fillers maybe.

Like in a fully fit midfield, you are picking one DM and two CM's( three players) from

Fellaini, Herrera, Di Maria, Rooney, Carrick, Fletcher, Mata, Blind.

Rooney is a given. So now you are down to two. Fletcher aside, you are going to have some pretty strong players warming a bench.

You'd also maybe draw the assumption when fit Di Maria will play, given his ability and price tag.

So now you have one DM spot, to pick from either Blind or Carrick. I'm not sure anyone wins having €50m+ off midfield in Herrera and Fellaini sitting on the bench as it is, so I doubt we need MORE. ( And we can probably assume Strootman will be thrown in that mix).

Talk about of Fletcher being sent out on loan in January, probably the smart move tbh. We've gone from no midfield to too many :D

Niether Young nor Valencia are full backs - LVG has said it himself too. If we want to play 4 at the back, we need another couple of full backs, or at least a right back (with Rojo being the secondary left back).

I can see McNair being sent on loan and I would be looking to replace Fletcher in the midfield options, at the very least. I'm still not sold on Fellaini. He can be a usefull squad player but could be improved upon without too much scouting.

We do have a big squad, but the issue has been a lack of quality, not a lack of numbers (numbers have been an issue this season with horrid injuries)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Niether Young nor Valencia are full backs - LVG has said it himself too. If we want to play 4 at the back, we need another couple of full backs, or at least a right back (with Rojo being the secondary left back).

We're alright for left backs as we have Shaw, then Rojo and Blind.

Definitely need another right back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

What were Holland playing before Strootman got borked, wasn't it a 4-2-3-1?

I normally don't foray into the tactical discussions, but while having deep thought on the throne as you do, the following found its way into my head

DDG
    Rafael----Jones----Rojo---Shaw
    ----Strootman----Blind----
    --Herrera----Rooney----Di Maria
    RVP

Dunno why or how. Just did.

if you are talking tactics, Michael Carrick has to be one of the first names on that team sheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It surprises me to see Rojo left out of some people's best teams. Evans, Smalling, and Jones have all shown that they are not quite up to it, which is tremendously disappointing, as you would have expected at least one of them to make a statement to be a part of this team going forward, but none of them have.

Rojo I think has been impressive. Any mistakes he has made have been caused by a direct lack of communication, which will stop over time, and he hasn't fully settled yet. Despite that he has been strong at the back and excellent on the ball. I really like the look of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    It surprises me to see Rojo left out of some people's best teams. Evans, Smalling, and Jones have all shown that they are not quite up to it, which is tremendously disappointing, as you would have expected at least one of them to make a statement to be a part of this team going forward, but none of them have.

Jones and Smalling have both shown good form and and then pulled up with injuries which is the big issue tbh. While they have both dropped the odd clanger I don't think either has been poor. Evans is probably playing his worst football in a long time but he can probably blame long term injury on the lose of form.

Rojo hasn't been any better than Smalling or Jones IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Smalling's been our best defender over the last two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Everytime I see the letters ADM in a line up I think "Attacking defensive midfeilder? That doesn't make sense. Who is our attacking defensive midfeilder."

Then I remember the most expensive British transfer of all time.

I am not a smart man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bluth-no.gif

Liam O wrote: »
    bluth-no.gif
    Yes though.

PhilJones is the best of a bad bunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Best of a very bad bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Seamus Coleman would be a good signing, can play more than just right back, would be a great wing back.

I don't think a deal for Bale whenever would be worth it if it involved De Gea.

Strootman looks likely at some stage.

Talk of Hummels costing £47 million. I expect a deal for Vlaar to be made next month, whether that is he joins immediately or just an agreement with the player and a free transfer in the summer

Enzo Perez from Benfica who had been linked is expected to sign for Valencia later this week.

I do expect some new blood to join in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I have no love for Smalling tbh. Should be better in the air with his height and his ability on the ball is overrated imo. I think he gains reputation when out injured and doesn't do much to live up to it when he is back. He is a decent player but easily replaceable.

There's an opportunity for one or more of our CBs to step into a leadership role and cement their status in the first XI but none of them are doing so. Jones is the closest, imo, but his injury problems are never far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

For me our strongest CB pairing at the moment is Jones and Rojo. If Jones can stay fit I really think he can become a great player for us.

I have no love for Smalling tbh. Should be better in the air with his height and his ability on the ball is overrated imo. I think he gains reputation when out injured and doesn't do much to live up to it when he is back. He is a decent player but easily replaceable.

There's an opportunity for one or more of our CBs to step into a leadership role and cement their status in the first XI but none of them are doing so. Jones is the closest, imo, but his injury problems are never far away.
    Since him and Jones have both been at the club in terms of putting performances in Smalling's ahead of him though. Not injured as much, more consistent. Evans should be out the door before both of them regardless.

Smalling doddles on the ball and is the worst CB at the club in terms of composure. Looked good for his first season but then went to shít. Looked decent earlier in the season but over a run of games the last few seasons he's gotten worse rather than better. I still think Evans will step it up this season and show everyone what he's about. I think rotating him and Jones with Rojo and Smalling as cover is the best option when Rojo is back fit. Thought Evans was very good yesterday.

Since him and Jones have both been at the club in terms of putting performances in Smalling's ahead of him though. Not injured as much, more consistent. Evans should be out the door before both of them regardless.

I really think that Jones has been better since SAF retired, so the last 18 months or so. Jones is still only 22, whereas Smalling is 25 so it's getting to that stage for him where he needs to really kick on or players will come in to replace him.

The fact that I usually prefer a more tactically aware and pacy defender (Smalling) over a more blood and thunder last ditch player (Jones) tells you a lot about how I rate Smalling.

Smalling doddles on the ball and is the worst CB at the club in terms of composure. Looked good for his first season but then went to shít. Looked decent earlier in the season but over a run of games the last few seasons he's gotten worse rather than better. I still think Evans will step it up this season and show everyone what he's about. I think rotating him and Jones with Rojo and Smalling as cover is the best option when Rojo is back fit. Thought Evans was very good yesterday.
    Evans still has an issue with physically dominant strikers. It was evident again with Benteke and I really hope he doesn't start against West Ham in a couple of weeks. If he could improve his aerial ability (unlikely at this stage) I'd be backing him to stay in the side.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Billy86 wrote: »
    Funny thing is LVG has more points, despite having a backline mainly of Valencia/Young/McNair and if lucky more than one of Smalling/Jones/Evans/Blackett, compared to Ferdinand/Vidic/Evra. Strangely, our general play has been improving throughout the year rather than going backwards, he has the players respect (funny that, eh?) and our main tactic employed when we have a one goal lead with 20 minutes left isn't "sh*t yourselves". ;)

Yeah, you said it yourself. Last year ye had Evra/Ferdinand/Vidic...3 players who couldn't give a toss or undermined the manager. Evra and Vidic struggling in a terrible league and Rio has been in and out of relegation fodder.
    For anyone looking for super positive to keep that title dream alive.

Chelsea playing "sensational stuff", largely unchanged and without injuries
    City are a bit wobbly, no Aguero until Feb? Mangala a disaster, Toure off to African nations?

How have they been wobbly?

Didn't they win 8 or 9 in a row before Burnley including Bayern and Roma away?

Evans still has an issue with physically dominant strikers. It was evident again with Benteke and I really hope he doesn't start against West Ham in a couple of weeks. If he could improve his aerial ability (unlikely at this stage) I'd be backing him to stay in the side.

Evans isn't that bad in the air. Anyone could struggle in the air against Benteke once or twice a game. Evans doesn't back down from anything and is United through and through. I feel him and Rojo, once the midfield gets sorted and the full backs up to speed and fluidity is the name of the game is the way to go for defence.

Evans isn't that bad in the air. Anyone could struggle in the air against Benteke once or twice a game. Evans doesn't back down from anything and is United through and through. I feel him and Rojo, once the midfield gets sorted and the full backs up to speed and fluidity is the name of the game is the way to go for defence.

I think he's very weak in the air and just generally by physical players. For example, Rio and Vidic were rarely physically bullied by anyone. The level we need to be looking at is those two, and Evans falls way short.

Bear in mind that I'm looking at this from the perspective that we will most likely buy some defenders. Will Evans stay in the team if we do that? I have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RobertKK wrote: »
    Seamus Coleman would be a good signing, can play more than just right back, would be a great wing back.

I don't think a deal for Bale whenever would be worth it if it involved De Gea.

Strootman looks likely at some stage.

Talk of Hummels costing £47 million. I expect a deal for Vlaar to be made next month, whether that is he joins immediately or just an agreement with the player and a free transfer in the summer

Enzo Perez from Benfica who had been linked is expected to sign for Valencia later this week.

I do expect some new blood to join in January.

It's been reported in Spain the Perez deal has fallen through,Benfica wanted £23 million and Valencia said no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Not sure if serious......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement