Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Yeah, you said it yourself. Last year ye had Evra/Ferdinand/Vidic...3 players who couldn't give a toss or undermined the manager. Evra and Vidic struggling in a terrible league and Rio has been in and out of relegation fodder
    Funny how all the players who couldn't give a toss" and "undermined the manager" last season, this year have not done anything of the sort, nor under Ferguson beforehand. Really strange that isn't it, especially as it's an issue that developed over Moyes' tenure rather than from the start. Interesting, very interesting.

LVG lost 37 YEARS of experience at this club alone from those three players (and over a combined half decade in their entire careers) and had to go instead with teenagers, wingers who were out of favour, and a rotation belt of whichever of the remaining defenders that struggled to get in the team previously over the three that left were healthy. That's before even bringing the fact that he was without one of the better defensive midfielders in the league until Halloween, who we have bizarrely enough picked up 24 of 30 points since the return of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Dammit, just saw we're playing Stoke at the crack of dawn on New Years day on BT again. Will be a lethargic atmosphere I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Billy86 wrote: »
    Funny how all the players who couldn't give a toss" and "undermined the manager" last season, this year have not done anything of the sort, nor under Ferguson beforehand. Really strange that isn't it, especially as it's an issue that developed over Moyes' tenure rather than from the start. Interesting, very interesting.

LVG lost 37 YEARS of experience at this club alone from those three players (and over a combined half decade in their entire careers) and had to go instead with teenagers, wingers who were out of favour, and a rotation belt of whichever of the remaining defenders that struggled to get in the team previously over the three that left were healthy. That's before even bringing the fact that he was without one of the better defensive midfielders in the league until Halloween, who we have bizarrely enough picked up 24 of 30 points since the return of.

I said before,when Moyes joined it was a case of certain players going "show us your medals".They simply had no respect for him and as results got worse their attitude mirrored it.
    LVG came in with the pedigree to match his claims and got rid of these players-funny how a lot of stuff leaked before from the club was attributed to Cleverley,one of the worst players to grace the pitch under David Moyes.

zerks wrote: »
    I said before,when Moyes joined it was a case of certain players going "show us your medals".They simply had no respect for him and as results got worse their attitude mirrored it.
    LVG came in with the pedigree to match his claims and got rid of these players-funny how a lot of stuff leaked before from the club was attributed to Cleverley,one of the worst players to grace the pitch under David Moyes.
    I would disagree, Moyes lost the players with his poor tactics and preparation, draconian training methods, and habit of giving way too much respect to the opposition which showed most of all in our becoming petrified whenever we had a tight lead in the last 20 minutes of a game. Hence why it only really showed up as the season wore on, and got worse and worse by the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would disagree, Moyes lost the players with his poor tactics and preparation, draconian training methods, and habit of giving way too much respect to the opposition which showed most of all in our becoming petrified whenever we had a tight lead in the last 20 minutes of a game. Hence why it only really showed up as the season wore on, and got worse and worse by the month.

You are both right

It's an open secret that Moyes lost the dressing room by October,his tactics etc. just made things worse-you could actually see by some of the players that they simply weren't trying.

Anyhow,we have had enough of this discussion before,now we have LVG who seems to be running things in the style of Fergie and that's a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Teams have to drop deeper when they have a 1-0 lead late in the game. This is to combat the other team throwing extra players forward, because they have nothing to lose at that stage. The other option is to try and control play but when you had Cleverly & Fletcher then you were never going to be able to do that.

Someone was also leaking the team news to the media.

And the players never gave a toss about Moyes from day 1. Would you see this attitude displayed now by the CB?

cropped_Baggies.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

thelad95 wrote: »
    Dammit, just saw we're playing Stoke at the crack of dawn on New Years day on BT again. Will be a lethargic atmosphere I imagine.

Match is on SS1, not BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wonder if Pro.F is watching the game. The "best DM in the league" is getting the run around at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

EDIT: it was photoshopped - my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

rebeve wrote: »
    With Champions league football next year we will need a much bigger squad .So we need a few more quality players .

LVG is blessed we dont have CL football this season. With the injuries, problems integrating new players etc. we would be mid table at this point if we had to play two games a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Kirby wrote: »
    Wonder if Pro.F is watching the game. The "best DM in the league" is getting the run around at the moment.

yea i cannot look at leon britton the same anymore, every time i watch him play i laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    LVG is blessed we dont have CL football this season. With the injuries, problems integrating new players etc. we would be mid table at this point if we had to play two games a week.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts something something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Deiseboy01 wrote: »

It suits this season as it also gives him time on the training ground but apart from it being a byproduct of a good season this time round, he will need more games in more competitions next season to keep all the players all ticking over.

When ADM and Blind come back and you add in Herrera, that's a lot of talent going to be on the bench when we only have a game a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    It suits this season as it also gives him time on the training ground but apart from it being a byproduct of a good season this time round, he will need more games in more competitions next season to keep all the players all ticking over.

When ADM and Blind come back and you add in Herrera, that's a lot of talent going to be on the bench when we only have a game a week.

I love your song smooth, what happened to Matchbox20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Stoke defeat in this fixture last year was the real nail in the coffin for me thinking we had any hope of Top 4.

3 points on Thursday and very confident of CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

They have gone through some band turmoil, members leaving, returning etc but they are still excellent, and Smooth was a Santana song featuring the incredible vocals of Mr Rob Thomas

Yes, I love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Annoying the way Arsenal, Spurs and even Pool to a degree are starting to find form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Montroseee wrote: »
    Annoying the way Arsenal, Spurs and even Pool to a degree are starting to find form.

One swallow does not make a summer.

Ill worry when they have won 7 out of the last 9 and we lose the next 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

One swallow does not make a summer.

Ill worry when they have won 7 out of the last 9 and we lose the next 5.

SHhhh, we don't want to jinx ourselves :pac:

We don't actually play another top 4 contender (unless you count West Ham and Southampton) until mid-March when we play Tottenham. Hopefully by then, we'll be comfortably in 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

American broadcaster NBC blundered over their subtitles during Manchester United's 0-0 draw with Tottenham, referring to United midfielder Juan Mata as 'Marijuana Mata'. (Metro)

Ya, pity they are not more active. Rumours of a world tour at the end of 2015...but it will probably clash with a CL night!

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    They have gone through some band turmoil, members leaving, returning etc but they are still excellent, and Smooth was a Santana song featuring the incredible vocals of Mr Rob Thomas

Yes, I love him.

Thanks Mum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Just ignore Valencia wore 7 for a season... proper order!

There's a serious lack of Tony V in that poster ;)

The Cantona one stands out.

243CD92400000578-2884943-image-a-11_1419337060637.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The only true no.7 :P

michael_owen_1458120c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Beckham looks a bit like Moyes in that picture

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Adamocovic wrote: »
    The only true no.7 :P

michael_owen_1458120c.jpg

I think he injured his thumb in that photo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Headshot wrote: »
    American broadcaster NBC blundered over their subtitles during Manchester United's 0-0 draw with Tottenham, referring to United midfielder Juan Mata as 'Marijuana Mata'. (Metro)

he's had a few poor games but he was never chronic in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

RGDATA! wrote: »
    he's had a few poor games but he was never chronic in fairness

That Kushley Young fella on the other hand.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

https://twitter.com/Keith_Russell/status/549596946596646912?s=15

Kevin Stroorman playing as United on Football Manager.

#STROOTMANCONFIRMED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Keith_Russell/status/549596946596646912?s=15

Kevin Stroorman playing as United on Football Manager.

#STROOTMANCONFIRMED

This is what it has come to now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Fake picture too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Fake picture too

Well isn't this a great start prior to the transfer window

We can scratch Perez off our list,Benfica knocked a few million off their price and a deal has been done with Valencia.

The Star is claiming Miranda is available from Atleti for £19.5 million.

Miranda is 30. 20m isn't a whole lot but I'd be hoping for somebody a bit younger. It really is a golden age for attackers and the bronze age for defenders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Miranda is 30. 20m isn't a whole lot but I'd be hoping for somebody a bit younger. It really is a golden age for attackers and the bronze age for defenders

I'd be happy enough with him. Rock solid and dependable, could easily get four seasons out of him, he would be a good influence on the younger defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

No. Not a 30 year old at that price....only good for maybe 2 - 3 years?

This is what it has come to now.....
    Well isn't this a great start prior to the transfer window

Eh?

No. Not a 30 year old at that price....only good for maybe 2 - 3 years?

Yeah the last 30 year we signed was just the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Well I meant I'd prefer to sign someone a bit younger than 30 and a longer term solution sure older players can work to but it means position will just need adressing again short term.

I'd be happy enough with him. Rock solid and dependable, could easily get four seasons out of him, would he a good influence on the younger defenders.

He is very good, there's just a lot of risks with older players. They need to hit the ground running. If they need a bedding in period, they'll be a year older. Within 2 years, you're already looking for replacements. I wouldn't be averse to signing him, I would just prefer somebody a bit younger.

Well I meant I'd prefer to sign someone a bit younger than 30 and a longer term solution sure older players can work to but it means position will just need adressing again short term.

It all nice and romantic that we get an 18 year old and he never leaves, but that rarely happens. It's not the modern game.

Would be worth getting a good 28/29/30 year for 3 years or whatever and replace him rather than doing a Liverpool and buying potential. Especially now at this point in the clubs history.

Miranda... is no Robin van Persie. Unless you were referring to someone else, given that we signed van Persie about a week after his 29th birthday?

Miranda... is no Robin van Persie. Unless you were referring to someone else, given that we signed van Persie about a week after his 29th birthday?

The post above this explains it more.

In an ideal world we would be signing 24/25 year olds who have proved themselves. Right now, we don't really have that.
    If there is one out there, then by all means let's go buy him and forget about Miranda.
    Right now, we don't have that option, but if we were to buy a 30 year old for 20 million, I wouldn't mind, if Welbeck is worth 16, who was undervalued , I do not mind spending that on Miranda. This is the the modern transfer market where fees have doubled in the last few years.

Bring Miranda in fr 2/3 seasons. Not too bad, we have experience there now, rather than 2 young lads who wouldn't have got near the team if it wasn't for injuries.

To be pedantic, rvp was in his 30th year. But I get ya.

Edit: Miranda would be a meh signing, not awe inspiring. a transfer done as a result of injuries, not a transfer for the future, but a transfer for the now.

• Advertisement

LvG press conference on at 4pm!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement