Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

League is a three horse race as far as I'm concerned, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal all pathetic and we can do the double over Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

League is a three horse race as far as I'm concerned, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal all pathetic and we can do the double over Everton.

City, Chelsea and Southampton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Chelsea city and whom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Beaten at home by Swansea, couldn't even score against Burnley and demolished by MK Dons and Leicester. If Liverpool and Arsenal are pathetic, what are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

J. Marston wrote: »
    Beaten at home by Swansea, couldn't even score against Burnley and demolished by MK Dons and Leicester. If Liverpool and Arsenal are pathetic, what are we?

There have been so many changes at the club, the slow start can be excused. We are slowly getting better and the new players settling in. With the hopeful addition of a CB in Jan, I expect a very strong 2nd half to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

On the up :):):)

Settled and ready to challenge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd wait till we see how badly Chelsea beat us before claiming a stake to a title run :P

Still, top 4 does seem well doable given our shakey start and yet we're still thereabouts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

A comfortable away win tomorrow would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

ericzeking wrote:
    Quality wise LVG has a practically brand new squad of superstars with no ties to the Fergie era after the biggest transfer splurge ever so I'd say its pretty different alright.

LVG didn't arrive to a squad full of superstars, he brought them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Dropping points tomorrow isn't an option.

Yeah you are right the team at the top of the table have only double the points tally of the team you think is in the title race, lol. :D

IP freely wrote: »
    Yeah you are right the team at the top of the table have only double the points tally of the team you think is in the title race, lol. :D

Game in hand and two games to play against them, that puts them a projected 2 points clear.

Game in hand and two games to play against them, that puts them a projected 2 points clear.

Do you honestly believe that ye can beat Chelsea twice? I don't see it at all. Chelsea are unbeaten in the league and they have played much stronger teams that United thus far too.

Not a hope are ye in the title race top 4 is a possibility, but challenging for the title isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Do you honestly believe that ye can beat Chelsea twice? I don't see it at all. Chelsea are unbeaten in the league and they have played much stronger teams that United thus far too.

Not a hope are ye in the title race top 4 is a possibility, but challenging for the title isn't.

Pxa0z7B.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

q7vY1YX.gif

You played one team that's possibly stronger than UTD on paper and drew 1-1 because you dropped the ball selling Lampard a year too early.

Dig up, Glock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Fergie retires

'We'll challenge under Moyes'

Moyes bombs

'We'll be top in November, did you see the fixture list?'

Slow start

'We'll challenge in the second half of the season'

Dig up, Glock

Maybe it's because I come from a combat sports background and not a soccer one but I absolutely refuse to give up the result of a match nevermind a season before it's happened based on the fact Chelsea are better than we are on paper. They don't have a better attack,(in fact if Costa is injured, they're attack is objectively worse) they don't have a better manager, they haven't outspent us, our injury list is getting shorted, our stars are settling, the team are beginning to gel.

I chose UTD because of their history of never giving up and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, why do I remember that part of the club's appeal and the likes of you fans for years are happy to capitulate. You're a right bloody Neville Chamberlain gowl, and I say that as someone who likes you on a personal level, I really do think you're someone who I could one day call a a friend, though I hope that moment comes in a time where we won't have to face any hardship together. For shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Good stuff from LVG.

“Of course [Phil] Jones, [Jonny] Evans and [Chris] Smalling were not available but I am always thinking that young players can take over the job.

“We have good youth players and we have showed that already, not only with McNair but also with [Tyler] Blackett, for example, and also with [Jesse] Lingard.

“When you mention [Wayne] Rooney, [Michael] Carrick and [Phil] Jones, of course they are great football players but we have more great football players and sometimes the other football players are doing better.

“Nobody is walking back into my team, believe me. You have to earn it on the training ground, but every player knows that. Believe me, it is not only [about] the name. Our youngest player McNair was outstanding in our last match.”

At least players know that there's competition for places and nobody has a divine right to a place in the team.

Maybe it's because I come from a combat sports background and not a soccer one but I absolutely refuse to give up the result of a match nevermind a season before it's happened based on the fact Chelsea are better than we are on paper. They don't have a better attack,(in fact if Costa is injured, they're attack is objectively worse) they don't have a better manager, they haven't outspent us, our injury list is getting shorted, our stars are settling, the team are beginning to gel.

I chose UTD because of their history of never giving up and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, why do I remember that part of the club's appeal and the likes of you fans for years are happy to capitulate. You're a right bloody Neville Chamberlain gowl, and I say that as someone who likes you on a personal level, I really do think you're someone who I could one day call a a friend, though I hope that moment comes in a time where we won't have to face any hardship together. For shame.

Except they do have a better manager.

Better midfield and defence too.

Loads of teams have a history of never giving up. Utd were just successful at it. IMO that was Fergie's magic touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think United are the bestest team in the world.

gosplan wrote: »
    Fergie retires

'We'll challenge under Moyes'

Moyes bombs

'We'll be top in November, did you see the fixture list?'

Slow start

'We'll challenge in the second half of the season'

If you don't have hope and positivity what is there to have...

No different than the constant flip flopping that your own fans do.
    Wenger in, Wenger out, shake your Wenger all about :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Chelsea without Costa on Sunday could a be a big factor too.

gosplan wrote: »
    Except they do have a better manager.

Better midfield and defence too.

Loads of teams have a history of never giving up. Utd were just successful at it. IMO that was Fergie's magic touch.

are-you-having-a-laugh-o.gif

Di Maria > Hazard (in the same vein as Joaquin he is)

Mata > Oscar (a number 10 is a number 10, not being liked by Mourihno doesn't make you a bad player)

Herrera doesn't have a long history of being shut down by UTD like Fabregas does, he'll run him down all game.

Matic >Blind (for now, at the job he does rather than as an overall player, at the rate Blind is gelling with the squad, this might not be true by the return fixture)

I think we will come 3rd but be a good few points behind 2nd. I just dont think the team is ready to play Chelsea and win.

oyNlvez.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Chelsea will drop points over the season, naturally, but I think we will drop more. Anything can happen obviously but it would be (pleasantly) surprising to be within 10 points of them come the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

are-you-having-a-laugh-o.gif

Di Maria > Hazard (in the same vein as Joaquin he is)

Mata > Oscar (a number 10 is a number 10, not being liked by Mourihno doesn't make you a bad player)

Herrera doesn't have a long history of being shut down by UTD like Fabregas does, he'll run him down all game.

Matic >Blind (for now, at the job he does rather than as an overall player, at the rate Blind is gelling with the squad, this might not be true by the return fixture)
    -Di Maria is not better than Hazard. Both great players and they've both been outstanding this season, though Hazard has played against much better opposition thus far.

-Don't really know how you can say Mata is better than Oscar who is a key man in the team currently running away with the league and also a key figure for the Brazilian national side whereas Mata can't even get a game in the Spanish team (or Utd's for that matter).

-Fabregas is clearly a better player than Herrera. Nothing to be ashamed about, Herrera is still quality.

K4t wrote: »
    -Di Maria is not better than Hazard. Both great players and they've both been outstanding this season, though Hazard has played against much better opposition thus far.

FYvlKgx.gif

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Ander is such an odd name.

ANDER
    USAGE: Basque

Meaning & History
    Basque form of Andreas.

Doesn't seem all that odd to me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The last time Falcao played against Chelsea he scored 4 goals.

He scored his hardest goal for United which was his first goal, he was under pressure to score and he admitted this, now that he has scored I think he will find things easier.

United haven't won away from home yet this season, two draws and a lost compared to three win and a lost at home.
    Time to start winning away from home.

If you don't have hope and positivity what is there to have...

No different than the constant flip flopping that your own fans do.
    Wenger in, Wenger out, shake your Wenger all about :pac:

Actually it's completely different. But who cares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

We haven't a hope of winning the League this season. Chelsea and City are head and shoulders above the rest.

However, Arsenal and Liverpool are all over the shop and Spurs are a joke so I reckon we'll comfortably make top four.

This season is about getting Champions League football, bedding in the new players and the new style and turning Old Trafford back into a fortress.

Our aim should be to win the League and the Champions League next season...end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

-Don't really know how you can say Mata is better than Oscar who is a key man in the team currently running away with the league and also a key figure for the Brazilian national side whereas Mata can't even get a game in the Spanish team (or Utd's for that matter).

-Fabregas is clearly a better player than Herrera. Nothing to be ashamed about, Herrera is still quality.

Di Maria is better than Hazard. Both are great players but Di Maria is a level above him at the moment.

ElChe32 wrote: »

However, Arsenal and Liverpool are all over the shop and Spurs are a joke so I reckon we'll comfortably make top four.
    Spurs are a joke yet they are still on the same amount of points as Utd and Arsenal? Pochettino is an intelligent manager and will turn things around imo. Far too early to be caling them a joke, especially when they're level with us having played far tougher opposition.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Di Maria is better than Hazard. Both are great players but Di Maria is a level above him at the moment.
    He's not really though and I doubt most Chelsea fans or neutrals would agree with you either.

There's not much between Di Maria and Hazard when they're at their best but I do think Di Maria is at his best more than Hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think we will come 3rd but be a good few points behind 2nd. I just dont think the team is ready to play Chelsea and win.

oyNlvez.gif

I can't stop laughing at that gif!

Back to United though, with Liverpool(Just about), Everton and Southampton getting 3 points it's crucial we pick up the three tomorrow.

Going to be an interesting few weeks with the upcoming fixtures. If we could manage 6 points from Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City and Palace I honestly would be very pleased. Let's up there are good things to come!

• Advertisement

But...but..I want us to win the title...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Are any CB back tomorrow night?

Are any CB back tomorrow night?

Haven't seen a statement from the club yet but there was speculation that both Jones and Smalling are ready to return. Pretty sure they've been doing full training for the last few days.

Spurs are a joke yet they are still on the same amount of points as Utd and Arsenal? Pochettino is an intelligent manager and will turn things around imo. Far too early to be caling them a joke, especially when they're level with us having played far tougher opposition.

Where did I call them a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Haven't seen a statement from the club yet but there was speculation that both Jones and Smalling are ready to return. Pretty sure they've been doing full training for the last few days.

Be great if they were back, give team a boost.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Where did I call them a joke?
    Sorry, meant to quote a different poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

There's not much between Di Maria and Hazard when they're at their best but I do think Di Maria is at his best more than Hazard.

Bit early to judge Di Maria in England yet isn't it? Not saying he won't prove to be better than Hazard but playing so few games in the Premier league against very average opposition it's impossible to say yet and a pointless comparison. Yet.

Sorry, meant to quote a different poster.

Haha grand so..thought I was losing my mind... :D

Bit early to judge Di Maria in England yet isn't it? Not saying he won't prove to be better than Hazard but playing so few games in the Premier league against very average opposition it's impossible to say yet and a pointless comparison. Yet.

Sorry but could you not compare Messi and Hazard because they play in a different league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Sorry but could you not compare Messi and Hazard because they play in a different league?

Indeed, so an amendment to my previous post, time will tell who has a better career in England. Which you probably care more about, as do I. Real Madrid and Manchester United are obviously very different beasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Match thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92677638#post92677638

Won't get to see this so it'll be highlights later for me.We need a win to improve on our poor away form and it'd bring us to within 3 points of 2nd place.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement