Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I hope after tonight people stop including Jan in their fantasy lineups, for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I cannot believe we did not win that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What frustrates me most about Januzaj is all the ex-pro's and managers saying he does amazing things in training, compared by Moyes to Rooney, except Rooney did it in training and produced every time he got the chance at Adnan's age. A loan spell with regular football will do him the world of good, he won't get enough games with us to develop his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We deserved to win that, we were the much better team. That missing piece of the puzzle which is a CB is really needed asap.

Our defence really let us down. We need that an experience CB at this stage. Someone that can keep the young lads inline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I hope after tonight people stop including Jan in their fantasy lineups, for no reason.

This x1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

RVP dunno why he is playing every game. Mata goes missing again no wonder why he was let go when we have to battle he is useless.
    Another 2 points dropped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Look at Januzaj and then look at Raheem Sterling.

Then ask why the f..k there's so much hype about Adnan.

And Jesus Christ...that was probably our first choice back four playing tonight and they were toxic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Look at Januzaj and then look at Raheem Sterling.

Then ask why the f..k there's so much hype about Adnan.

And Jesus Christ...that was probably our first choice back four playing tonight and they were toxic.

Theres not really that much hype about him at all tbh.Our first choice back four would alomost definitely include evans imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

My frustration was with shaw, seemed to go so far out of position hope rvp is dropped for the next game it might be a motivator for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I thought Rojo was our best defender tonight...Jones is clueless. Raf fell asleep for the 2nd goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The defence is infuriating. Useless shower who ruin everything good we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I thought Rojo was our best defender tonight...Jones is clueless. Raf fell asleep for the 2nd goal.

Rojo had been consistently solid in fairness to him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Theres not really that much hype about him at all tbh.Our first choice back four would alomost definitely include evans imo

People were talking about him being worth £50m...there has been a massive amount of hype about Januzaj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

All people on board the Januzaj express bandwagon please get off at the next station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

At the end of the day it wasn't the result we needed. But saying that it would have been a lot worse if it finished 2-1.

We will have a big task coming up with Chelsea, City and Arsenal. Hopefully the lads will be pumped up for the big games enough to get some points out of them.

Funny how good our away form was last season compared to our home, now it's the complete opposite so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Can't believe of all the players Januzaj is getting criticism. He hardly played all season, this is his first start so obviously he would be rusty. On the other hand we have players like RVP, Mata who played almost all games and looked so awful. At least with run of games there is a chance Januzaj will improve but same cannot be said about RVP and to an extent Mata who was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nolars wrote: »
    RVP dunno why he is playing every game. Mata goes missing again no wonder why he was let go when we have to battle he is useless.
    Another 2 points dropped.

Mata was far better than Januzaj. He was playing some nice balls through but as usual was being dragged too far back. I don't understand why the players capable of keeping possession are always subbed in these situations at United. I'd say Januzaj lost the ball over 20 times in that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Get used to results like this until the back line is revamped again. Worst defence I can remember United having, look dodgier than every other team in the league. Even Rafael was muck tonight.

ElChe32 wrote: »

Wouldn't agree with that. He was off the pace but has been out for a while. Before his injury he was easily our best player.

Get him into the swing of things again and he will be crucial to us this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Headshot wrote: »
    We deserved to win that, we were the much better team. That missing piece of the puzzle which is a CB is really needed asap.

Our defence really let us down. We need that an experience CB at this stage. Someone that can keep the young lads inline

I thought Herrera and Blind inexplicably kept getting caught ahead of the ball together in the first half which certainly didn't help but yeah defence was poor.

2 shots on target from West Brom and two goals. You have to laugh. There was a period in the first half when the CB from either just had to hoof the ball up the pitch and it was a through ball. Schoolboy defending from both teams.

We still look shambolic as a defensive unit.

RVP Mata Herrera and Jamuzai were really poor and I tought Rojo looked very dodgy as did Shaw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

That was poor for the most part. West Brom are okay and Berahinho looks excellent, but we really should be winning that.

Rojo and Jones just don't command enough for me. Each of them let a ball bounce that they should be heading clear. Thats basic and poor. Shaw just isn't up to it, yet.

Mata and Januzaj looked off the pace. RVP doesn't look up for it.

Rafael was good. Blind excellent but he needs someone beside him. Fellani was good and agressive when he came on.

PS: what exactly qualifies as a handball this season?

PPS: Match threads are full of slugs. Hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Looking at a positive, I have been one of his biggest critics of all but in fairness Fellaini showed more in those 45 minutes than he did in his 20 odd games last season, and his goal was excellently taken. Also was very impressed with Blind's finish for a guy who has scored something like 3 goals in his whole career to this point.

On the downside, Januzaj was absolutely atrocious and looks more devoid of confidence than I can recall seeing in a Man Utd forward or winger for quite some time. Would still definitely prefer to see him loaned out in January. Not many convincing performances all around, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

A big signing central defender is a must

Liam O wrote: »
    Mata was far better than Januzaj. He was playing some nice balls through but as usual was being dragged too far back. I don't understand why the players capable of keeping possession are always subbed in these situations at United. I'd say Januzaj lost the ball over 20 times in that game.

Far better? All he did was pass it sideways, lost possession and chickened out from every 50-50 ball.

At least from this game I can pick 2 highlights from top of my head for Januzaj. His wonderful cross which Fellaini almost scored and a wonderful pass to Rafael who almost created a chance.

With Mata? I think a blocked shot, awful free kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Fellaini was outstanding when he came on - best player on the pitch when he came on... should start now v Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Can't believe of all the players Januzaj is getting criticism. He hardly played all season, this is his first start so obviously he would be rusty. On the other hand we have players like RVP, Mata who played almost all games and looked so awful. At least with run of games there is a chance Januzaj will improve but same cannot be said about RVP and to an extent Mata who was awful.

When Radamel Falcao is dropped for you you have to do something. Januzaj was worse than even Valencia has been the last couple of years. At least Valencia was keeping the ball. To play like he was you have to produce something in the game to make up for it. People want to see something in him that's not there, he's good at getting by people, not much else and his selfishness renders his biggest skill useless a lot as he tries to beat 2 or 3 players instead of passing or crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

For all the praise for Blind he was very dodgy with his defensive responsibilities I thought. He doesn't have the pace to cover back when he's caught out of position and far too often he ventured ahead of the ball leaving a huge hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with that. He was off the pace but has been out for a while. Before his injury he was easily our best player.

Get him into the swing of things again and he will be crucial to us this year.

There is the problem with Jones. He will be out with another stupid injury again, and the process will repeat itself.

Headshot wrote: »

I agree, i am not going overboard about the disappointment of the dropped points because of the way we played, it is very encouraging for the future, but the defence needs sorting quickly, just too easy to score against and catch out.

• Advertisement

People were talking about him being worth £50m...there has been a massive amount of hype about Januzaj.

Think the hype came from him being one of the minor positives from the Moyes era. 3-4 good performances and he was hyped up to the last. Seems to have effected him badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

J. Marston wrote: »
    Awful, awful result.

West Brom played the whole game desperate for a draw and we're the ones barely escaped with a point. Not good enough.

The sooner Phil Jones is sold, the better.

Your meltdowns after every bad result are hilarious dude, so far this season you want Evans and Jones sold, while also stating we are short in CB, you make no sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ok, there is little to take away from the game that can be classed as a revelation. This type of result is going to be more common than usual until at LEAST January and I am happy enough to take them on the chin until then because this is a work in progress.

We will sign a top defender in January. I'm certain of it.

The good:
    - Fellaini was very good when he came on and was a huge threat. Superb goal.
    - Di Maria put more dangerous crosses into the box that I can remember in all of last year.
    - Rojo is very solid in defence.

The bad:
    -Herrera, Januzaj and Mata were pretty poor.
    -Another two conceded.
    -Possible injury to Di Maria (dead leg?).

I would like to think we will do well vs Chelsea and City but Costa and especially Aguero will absolutely eat the defence alive unfortunately.

edgecutter wrote: »
    There is the problem with Jones. He will be out with another stupid injury again, and the process will repeat itself.

Maybe might judgement is clouded by the fact I like him but I hope that doesn't happen!

When Radamel Falcao is dropped for you you have to do something. Januzaj was worse than even Valencia has been the last couple of years. At least Valencia was keeping the ball. To play like he was you have to produce something in the game to make up for it. People want to see something in him that's not there, he's good at getting by people, not much else and his selfishness renders his biggest skill useless a lot as he tries to beat 2 or 3 players instead of passing or crossing.

Falcao was not dropped. He was rested because of jet lag. When Mata takes Rooney's place all the fans expect him to score, assist or contribute much better than chickening out from all the 50-50 ball.

Also today Januzaj hardly tried to over dribble which was strange as it's biggest asset. So not sure where this selfishness thing comes from.

You said Mata was much better still waiting for what has Mata done in this game to regard his performance as much better.

He seems to be very indecisive when he gets into a good position and invariably takes the wrong option, this will improve but right now we can't really afford it. A loan would be good for him.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Think the hype came from him being one of the minor positives from the Moyes era. 3-4 good performances and he was hyped up to the last. Seems to have effected him badly.

Its the hair cut

kryogen wrote: »
    He seems to be very indecisive when he gets into a good position and invariably takes the wrong option, this will improve but right now we can't really afford it. A loan would be good for him.

Or maybe lack of game time is really hindering his development. His decision making needs a bit of work, no denying that but if any player is player so rarely then obviously they would be rusty.

Or maybe lack of game time is really hindering his development. His decision making needs a bit of work, no denying that but if any player is player so rarely then obviously they would be rusty.

On the plus side for him he has had some good performances for the under 21's had he not?

I agree he needs a loan spell with more regular football. Being knocked out of the Carling cup so soon hasn't helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Team looked lively at the start of the second half but after the goal they just went back to the side to side passing which WBA were only too happy to let Utd do that,no threat,

Mata never really got into a position where he could create chances,he came deep a good few times to get the ball and pass it sideways,

Fellaini did well when he came on,took his goal well.

Sign us a song and throw him into a line up sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Your meltdowns after every bad result are hilarious dude, so far this season you want Evans and Jones sold, while also stating we are short in CB, you make no sense.

Why persist with players who will never be at the level required?

I'll actually backtrack on Evans, that was heat of the moment (after the MK Dons result, I think). He has shown that he can be a quality defender for 90 minutes over a consistent amount of time in the past.

Jones, on the other hand, good God. A very poor man's Ryan Shawcross is the highest compliment I can give him.

A reckless, clumsy wrecking ball who gets injured every 4 or 5 games.

LVG come under real pressure with losses to Chelsea and City I wonder? - very real possibility as at this point they could rip us apart at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Two goals and a lot of pressure and chances, so, even though it's not working perfectly, the problem isn't the attack.

The way the team defends is horribly disorganised. A lot of people are talking about a new CB as if that will sort the problem, but I don't think that's it. Maybe the back four just need to get some games playing together and the formation needs to be decided upon, but it's been going on so long at this stage. Tbh, it just looks like poor coaching of the defence and too much fúcking around with the formation. Very disappointing.

Posters on here going over the top in their criticism of Januzaj as usual. He's 19 and extremely talented, he's still going to have poor games, especially when he's not playing regularly. Tonight isn't a sign that Januzaj isn't up to the level required, it's a sign that he's 19. Have patience for fúck sake. (I'm not talking about the people just advocating a loan, that's reasonable enough.)

He is playing for the reserves but he is wasted at that level, he is match fit have no doubt about that.

He needs a loan, he needs to play regularly and hone his skills. He isn't good enough right now for United in terms of what we need. Its a cruel game sometimes but he was carried last season defensively and we certainly can't afford to carry him this season in any deficiency he currently has. He isn't going to feature enough to push on imho.

Marouane Fellaini Stats are impressive -

83% pass accuracy
    2 shots
    1 goal
    2 chances created
    100% aerial duels won.

I secretly love when the thread goes into meltdown mode.

http://www.gfycat.com/QuickSlimFrillneckedlizard#

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

LVG disappointed with the result

"played the best match of the season"

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    On the plus side for him he has had some good performances for the under 21's had he not?

I agree he needs a loan spell with more regular football. Being knocked out of the Carling cup so soon hasn't helped.

Yeah I think he played around 2 games for U21 that was so many weeks back. He should at least be getting few mins or should be sent out on loan at the end of Jan.

In general the double standards from most here is hilarious. If Rooney played anywhere near like RVP and Mata today he would have been ripped to shreds, but since Mata is a nice guy and RVP always says nice things in his interviews they get free pass. Rooney contributes way better than RVP and Mata regardless of how bad his first touch is.

irishfeen wrote: »
    LVG come under real pressure with losses to Chelsea and City I wonder? - very real possibility as at this point they could rip us apart at the back.

I don't think either will blow us away to be perfectly honest.

kryogen wrote: »
    I don't think either will blow us away to be perfectly honest.
    I worry about city - Jose always plays defensive but city are going to come out all guns blazing ... I fear for us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement