Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Well I for one am glad to see we played the full 90.

Bring on Chelsea (with Falcao and Fellaini starts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Done with match threads. Way too much trolling and nothing being done about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Di Maria crossing was a joy to watch. Especially first half. He deserved some player on end of coyple . they generally got worse in 2nd half but can't fault him. His pass to RVP in first half was a beauty too.

His corner kick taking is incredible. He swings the ball in with so much spin on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Improvement will come. Right now, I'm just glad to see United showing some fight again and coming from behind like United of old. Certainly makes a change on last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The time to parachute out when things are going wrong is at full time at the very latest and don't even stick your head back in! They are a pain in the hole at the best of times and some of the worst and I suppose most difficult threads to mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

kryogen wrote: »
    The time to parachute out when things are going wrong is at full time at the very latest and don't even stick your head back in! They are a pain in the hole at the best of times and some of the worst and I suppose most difficult threads to mod.

It usually begins either just before the match or during the first while.

It's clear what people are at and the dont be a dick rule needs to be enforced way more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

The over-the-top criticism of Januzaj is baffling. There was a run of games last season when he was the only positive note. He's 19 years old starting his first match of the year, cut him some slack FFS.

Wingers are frustrating by nature, anyone remember Ronaldos early years? Even tonight when things didn't go well he was trying to be positive, trying to attack the defence. Mata was far worse, but he seems to be bizarrely escaping criticism because he's a likeable guy. Jesus give Adnan a chance, there's far more serious things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

It usually begins either just before the match or during the first while.

It's clear what people are at and the dont be a dick rule needs to be enforced way more.

The thing with match threads is its the same handful of utd fans doing it in liverpool threads and vice versa. One group does it in retaliation to other etc so they are effectively doing it to themselves. Match threads are a complete waste of time, with the possible exception of a bit of pre match discussion. Other than that its just people posting "yesssss", "get in" and "ffs" depending on what has happened and how it affects the team they support.

It doesn't help that BOTH set of supporters find it nearly impossible take to any criticism of their teams without thinking it's trolling.

niallo27 wrote: »
    It doesn't help that BOTH set of supporters find it nearly impossible take to any criticism of their teams without thinking it's trolling.

Not true, there are posters on both sides of that particular divide that can actually discuss things reasonably.

• Advertisement

Not true, there are posters on both sides of that particular divide that can actually discuss things reasonably.

Not many though. I mean I was accused of baiting tonight because I said utd's first goal could have a been a free kick the other way. It made no sense. Utd scored. Who was I baiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Once ye don't take them seriously they are good fun.

Just go with the troll.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Not many though. I mean I was accused of baiting tonight because I said utd's first goal could have a been a free kick the other way. It made no sense. Utd scored. Who was I baiting.

Didn't see the comment or anything, didn't pay any attention to the match thread but I think I did post in it a couple of times in the second half? Can't say I read much of it though!

Depending on what you said I suppose it could have been interpreted as just being a bitter rival trying to "ruin the buzz"

for the most part I think I have a pretty good tolerance for the opposition trolls, its the "united fan" trolls that seem to get under my skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

You're alright niallo, you don't bother me. And anytime you do, I just remind you that you pretended to be a girl here and in other forums for attention, and that usually shuts you up pretty quickly.

It's the people we don't have dirt on that are the real problem.

lol did that actually happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

ScummyMan wrote: »
    The over-the-top criticism of Januzaj is baffling. There was a run of games last season when he was the only positive note. He's 19 years old starting his first match of the year, cut him some slack FFS.

Wingers are frustrating by nature, anyone remember Ronaldos early years? Even tonight when things didn't go well he was trying to be positive, trying to attack the defence. Mata was far worse, but he seems to be bizarrely escaping criticism because he's a likeable guy. Jesus give Adnan a chance, there's far more serious things to be worrying about.
    I wouldn't be into any OTT criticism of Januzaj this season in the same way that I wouldn't have been into the OTT praise of him last season.
    He was an ever so slight bright spark in an otherwise fairly gloomy season last year which seems to have made some people place him on too high a pedestal which, based on human nature, will make an equal number of people try to constantly knock him off that pedestal this year.

He's young, he's inconsistent, he's exciting and he's frustrating. Chances are he'll outgrow each of those over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

1413841687211_wps_20_image001_png.jpg

Karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Can't call it that or you'll be the one banned, ridiculous. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

The delusion in this thread is what gets me.

- Adnan and Ronaldo being mentioned in the same breath. Januzaj is closer to Kieran Richardson than he is to Ronaldo.

- The love for Mata. Mourinho wanting rid was massive "caveat emptor". A bad signing.

An earlier poster was spot on...Rooney would be ridiculed in this thread for producing the kind of dross that RVP and Mata are churning out week in and week out.

Our back four is toxic right now. Fellas at sixes and sevens and all over the shop seems to be our modus operandi. I used to think that Jones was a great white hope but he's looking more and more like a headless chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

- Adnan and Ronaldo being mentioned in the same breath. Januzaj is closer to Kieran Richardson than he is to Ronaldo.

- The love for Mata. Mourinho wanting rid was massive "caveat emptor". A bad signing.

An earlier poster was spot on...Rooney would be ridiculed in this thread for producing the kind of dross that RVP and Mata are churning out week in and week out.

Our back four is toxic right now. Fellas at sixes and sevens and all over the shop seems to be our modus operandi. I used to think that Jones was a great white hope but he's looking more and more like a headless chicken.

Ah Larry it's not all doom and gloom. Sure there's problems but there are also a number of positives. It'll all come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Not to keen on the Adnan/Richardson comparison but agree about Mata.

The sheer amount of love he gets around here is weird to me. He has done nothing to deserve it. Take his goals away and he has been very meh since joining. I know what a contradiction that is as scoring goals is the number one thing you can do but this passing wizard with great technique who can unlock any defense is nowhere to be seen. Couple that with his lack of defensive effort and you have a player who is not offering us a whole lot. I would have rather Kagawa kept on as a number 10 if I had to chose one of the two.

Falcao should start over RVP and play alongside Rooney up front when he is back, RVP benched as third choice striker. Fellaini should get a run at the number 10 position based on last night. Yes our defense is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Not to keen on the Adnan/Richardson comparison but agree about Mata.

The sheer amount of love he gets around here is weird to me. He has done nothing to deserve it. Take his goals away and he has been very meh since joining. I know what a contradiction that is as scoring goals is the number one thing you can do but this passing wizard with great technique who can unlock any defense is nowhere to be seen. Couple that with his lack of defensive effort and you have a player who is not offering us a whole lot. I would have rather Kagawa kept on as a number 10 if I had to chose one of the two.

Falcao should start over RVP and play alongside Rooney up front when he is back, RVP benched as third choice striker. Fellaini should get a run at the number 10 position based on last night. Yes our defense is muck.

Fellaini should be nowhere near number ten for us, him playing there is an admission our game plan has failed.

akelly02 wrote: »
    My honest opinion:

shaw, terrible,
    Jones , brutal
    Januzai , spelling wrong but woeful.

Good points:
    blind is a better defensive mid than carrick and fletcher put together.

Falcao showed in 20 mins why we should start him in future games

Our backline showed LVG we need reinforcements BIG TIME

Lol, that made me chuckle
    Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Fellaini should be nowhere near number ten for us, him playing there is an admission our game plan has failed.

What? Why not? Did you not see him last night? a) Its his best position b) How is playing a real physical and goal threat in his best position an admission of failure? The logic your applying is all wrong.

Fellaini was a beast there for Everton and looked like that player last night. Why would you not want that? Under Moyes, deep in midfeild Fellaini had to collect the ball and move it forward. All of his talents were wasted back there and he offered us nothing and with no decent MF partner was made to look poorer than he is.

LVG said you need physicality in the EPL in his post match interview and thats why Fellaini came on. Gary Nev said there is nothing wrong or to be embarrssed about with using him there. Its common sense.

I'd like to see Fellaini start against Chelsea and City and try to bully those defenses. Falcao too, he looks great at getting stuck in and holds the ball amazingly well under pressure from more than one player and usually comes away with it.

What we saw last night from Fellaini proved that all the flop stuff thrown at him from last season about the price tag etc was BS. He is a good player with much to offer. If we get the Fellaini of Everton firing on all cylinders for us I say bring it on. He is a real handful for any defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Coming up against city & Chelsea I can maybe see Herrera playing in Matas position with Blind & one of Fletcher/Fellaini/Carrick in behind him to try and keep things tight.

We definitely need to do something different or they'll tear us a new arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Januzaj was sh1t last night, wayward passing, poor first touch, but it was his first start, in a season where he finds himself trying too hard to get ahead of the players brought in. If he settled down a bit he'd be useful.

He was a rare, direct threat last season in a team too prone to slowly going through the gears, comparisons to Kieran Richardson are sensationalist and borderline cruel.

The defence is and likely will continue to be, terrible. Even if some of these guys get a run of games, they'll still not be good enough to hold a place in a Champions League team.

The worst performer this season for him has to to Robin Van Persie. He shouldn't be starting, he's adding nothing to the attack, he's not bringing people into play. Falcao was a much better option when he came on.

Mata was pretty bad too last night, but I don't think he's been as poor as others have claimed. He hasn't set the world alight though so he has a lot to do before

The team should be Rooney and Falcao up top, Mata or Januzaj behind the front two.

Blind, Di Maria and Herrera ...

We're so porous at the back I'd almost bring Carrick into the fold, and I dislike Carrick... feel dirty even proposing that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Really had hoped Mata would do more with his chance; I think on his day, he's a better #10 than Rooney, but that he's not really shown any signs of that in the last two games when he really needed to. He's missed a big chance over the last two games :(

Fellaini at 10?! Jesus Christ. We're Manchester United, not Stoke City. Why don't we get rid of Rooney and Falcao while we're at it and replace them with Andy Carroll and Tony Cascarino?

There is no role for Fellaini at United other than as a last resort Plan Z when all else has failed and we're chasing a game. He is not good enough for Manchester United - End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Really had hoped Mata would do more with his chance; I think on his day, he's a better #10 than Rooney, but that he's not really shown any signs of that in the last two games when he really needed to. He's missed a big chance over the last two games :(

Watch him assist Falcao for a hattrick against Chelsea now :p

Fellaini at 10?! Jesus Christ. We're Manchester United, not Stoke City. Why don't we get rid of Rooney and Falcao while we're at it and replace them with Andy Carroll and Tony Cascarino?

There is no role for Fellaini at United other than as a last resort Plan Z when all else has failed and we're chasing a game. He is not good enough for Manchester United - End of story.

The ball was crossed from the wing to Fellaini. We cross from the wing to most of our forwards. Its what UTD have been doing for decades.

There is a big difference between that and what your saying Stoke do, the old Stoke that is, they don't do it as much under Hughes. Crossing is not the same as lumping the ball the ball from your back line to a target man once the defender gets it from the GK, bypassing the midfield, the majority of both teams players and any need to play football.

Your have a very black and white stereotyped view of football based on cliches. If crossing from wide to a physical/aerial threat is the Stoke style then every team plays the Stoke style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am fairly sure Fellaini played cm last night not at #10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Nuts102 wrote: »

He was getting ballsy after his goal and kept pushing forward though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Rojo looks pretty solid tbh

I dont agree, and here's why:

A high ball coming in five yards from edge of box. Decision to head it or let it bounce, he decides to let it bounce which invited pressure. Jones did the same thing in the second half.

In the same position what would Vidic, Terry, Tony Adams or Vincent Kompany do? They would head it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I think part of the criticism aimed at Janazuj is down to comparisons with Sterling. Just because Stetling took off its assumed Janazuj should have taken a similar projection. Worth remembering that Sterling struggled early last season turning in vexing displays.

Janazuj is still only a kid and has loads to learn. He'll make plenty mistakes on the way but thats the nature of it. Worst possible thing that could happen to a young player like that is to lose self-confidence and the fear of making mistakes takes over.
    If he was coming into a winning Utd side it would be far easier as others would carry the slack.

The ball was crossed from the wing to Fellaini. We cross from the wing to most of our forwards. Its what UTD have been doing for decades.

There is a big difference between that and what your saying Stoke do, the old Stoke that is, they don't do it as much under Hughes. Crossing is not the same as lumping the ball the ball from your back line to a target man once the defender gets it from the GK, bypassing the midfield, the majority of both teams players and any need to play football.

Your have a very black and white stereotyped view of football based on cliches. If crossing from wide to a physical/aerial threat is the Stoke style then every team plays the Stoke style.

Accusing someone of dealing in cliches is just a lazy argument.

Fellaini is poor technically and his modus operandi is to physically bully people. His best days in an Everton shirt (certainly against us) involved him doing just that.

My view is that we should have greater aspirations than that.

We are Manchester United, not Everton or Stoke or West Brom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

He was playing as a box-to-box midfielder. It was a straight swap with Herrera, only Mata was dropping deep when Fellaini bombed forward to give cover for the West Brom counter.

The problem last night was not the defence, in my opinion. The problem was Mata and how he failed to link the possession midfield play with the forwards. United tried to stretch the game wide left and right with Adnan and Di Maria, and it worked to some extent, but with only RVP up front it was of little use. Had Mata been playing as he can, he would've offered that second goal threat in the box, or played either Di Maria or Januzaj in to the box with some quick passing in front of the CBs.

All in all a very good United performance in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

A high ball coming in five yards from edge of box. Decision to head it or let it bounce, he decides to let it bounce which invited pressure. Jones did the same thing in the second half.

In the same position what would Vidic, Terry, Tony Adams or Vincent Kompany do? They would head it.

That's CB 101, never let it bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Chelsea 6/4 this weekend. Easiest money you will ever make. We are a shambles. Back 4 is all over the place, lightweight in midfield and van persie seems like he doesn't care. Rooney is a massive loss for this weekend. Falcao MUST start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Agree with the Januzaj appraisals, thought he was just terrible last night and made every wrong decision. He has all the skill in the world but if he can't make the right pass at the right time it means nowt. Just ask Nani.

I felt Falcao made a big difference after coming on, he looked so up for it. Delighted with Fellaini, although he was a bad purchase he is still a very decent player and the stick he gets is not on.

I want to give a full season before I judge him but so far I am far from impressed with Shaw, he was exposed for pace on several occasions last night and everything WBA did well in the first half came from exploiting him out of position. Maybe he is out of shape like people claim, but so far I am worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

We were getting pushed off the ball a lot last night, Mata unfortunately is easily knocked over and although Herrera takes it in his stride, the likes of Fellaini / Falcao's strength was really beneficially. That would have been a totally different game if we played 4-4-2 from the start with Rooney on the pitch. Januzaj was just dire last night, looked weak and just tried to be too fancy - he needs to get out of them bad habits (like Young / Welbeck did). I actually missed Valencia's fast through balls.

Falcao was great in the short time he was on, looking forward to him starting against Chelsea. I don't know what to say about Van Persie, he doesn't look the same.

• Advertisement

He did, but sure don't let facts get in the way of the story.

I quite liked the look of the 4411 type system when Falcao came on, RVP seemed to be able to find a bit more space playing in behind him and Falcao was doing better at holding the ball up. Fellaini was working box to box and Blind was still the sitting midfielder though he was getting forward a lot, the wings were poor though Young and Jan, but it might be something to think about regarding RVP, playing the Cantona role sort of.

Reminded me a bit of West Ham in 95 that game, battered them but could not get the important winning goal...

Fellaini at the very least showed that he can still be a good squad option for us, thankfully might get him a small bit of breathing space from certain section of the United "fanbase"

zerks wrote: »

The more I look at it the less sure I am thats what he is saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yea he doesn't say that at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well, Mata has been given the chance that loads on here were looking for and so far he hasn't exactly proved Mourinho wrong. A good sub to have on the bench but you can't build a team around what he offers.

LVG also needs to take some stick. 150m and we are 1 point better off than last year, after a much easier start to the campaign. All this talk of LVG philosophy, he doesn't seem to have one. Our imporovement came last night when we went to route one football, aimed at Fellani. Why did Moyes never think of that piece of genius.

Now LVG wants to extend his own 3 months period. He hasn't even started to make a difference to the defence. He talks about teaching players to learn waht to do, well how about teaching Shaw about his position, or Rafa about the offside trap.

It is just not acceptable that after spending 150m in the summer we are behind teams like West Ham and Southhampton. Everyobidy on here gets a hardon saying they can't beleive ADM, Falcoa, Mata etc play for us. Well guess what, teams that cost less than one of them are easily matching us.

I don't buy this that we SFA left behind such a crappy team. No doubt he pulled a miracle (aide by City not playing) in getting the title in the last year, but are we really saying that as a club we have now fallen behind West Brom? We will do well to get anything out of the games against Chelsea, City and Arsenal. That would see us drop down the table and this false pciture that we are only just off the top four will be exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't think he's saying that at all.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

So you are saying, never in their career has Vidic, Terry, Adams of Kompany made an error, or let a ball bounce?

Is it possible that players are not perfect but can still be pretty solid at the same time?

All I said was he looks pretty solid, I didn't say he is one of the best in the world, but he has his attributes and is still young enough to develop even further. I do not make any claim on how good or bad he will become in the future, but I stand by the assessment that he is pretty solid.

A mistake, or even a perceived mistake doesn't make someone a bad player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Can't be reading back through all the posts just now...are we blaming Shaw for the first goal or what's the general consensus? Personally I think there is a major question to be asked of ADM defensively and not just for that goal but in general there have been a few instances in the games he has played. Giving it away cheaply in deep positions for example.

I'm not saying he should be dropped or anything like it, he has been top class attacking wise but I do think he is a player that needs to be indulged, similar to Ronaldo. I would worry for us if he was in a midfield 3 against one of the top sides. And if he was wide in a 4, I'd like to see cover coming across. Herrerra goes forward a lot, leaving Blind with a lot of ground to cover.
    Tactically we are either going for something really fluid or we are just disorganised.

I could see both Carrick and Blind playing against City/Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

So you are saying, never in their career has Vidic, Terry, Adams of Kompany made an error, or let a ball bounce?

Is it possible that players are not perfect but can still be pretty solid at the same time?

All I said was he looks pretty solid, I didn't say he is one of the best in the world, but he has his attributes and is still young enough to develop even further. I do not make any claim on how good or bad he will become in the future, but I stand by the assessment that he is pretty solid.

A mistake, or even a perceived mistake doesn't make someone a bad player.

I didnt say that. All i'm saying is that both Rojo and Jones made poor decisions last night. Poor decision making concedes goals in the long run. Neither look like a centre back i want leading the team.

You're alright niallo, you don't bother me. And anytime you do, I just remind you that you pretended to be a girl here and in other forums for attention, and that usually shuts you up pretty quickly.

It's the people we don't have dirt on that are the real problem.

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

At least one positive is that we look like we can score goals.

Last year had we been down 2-1 we more likely lost. Point might only be small step but step in right direction.

Saw few on match thread saying we deserved nothing from game but its not as if De Gea was busy man. We were better team but few silly mistakes cost us.

I'm not dreading the Chelsea game as much as some here. Result would be sweet but if we show determination and are up for battle that will do. 6/4 on Chelsea is tempting alright though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement