Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

At least one positive is that we look like we can score goals.

Last year had we been down 2-1 we more likely lost. Point might only be small step but step in right direction.

Saw few on match thread saying we deserved nothing from game but its not as if De Gea was busy man. We were better team but few silly mistakes cost us.

I'm not dreading the Chelsea game as much as some here. Result would be sweet but if we show determination and are up for battle that will do. 6/4 on Chelsea is tempting alright though.

De gea didn't have to make a save Wba scored with their only 2 shots on target.
    Silly mistakes cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rojo was very poor last night. He messed up a few simple long balls and just let Berahino go to score his goal. But he still looks like a decent CB to me.

Since the whole of the back four and midfield were disorganised I'd be pointing the finger at the manager rather than any individual players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Leicester 5 shots on target - 5 goals
    West Brom 2 shots on target - 2 goals
    Swansea 4 shots on target - 2 goals

I think we are underestimating that the opposition so far are playing either some very good football or the game of their lives (Leicester in that case) with good finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Last 2 games Blind has made few reckless challenges.

His 1st half performances seem be decent, but he tends to caught out more in 2nd half's especially last couple of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

He has no pace at all, was watching him at the start of the game last night and I thought he must have been carrying a knock. Maybe it's just me but he seems quite stocky and slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

advertsfox wrote: »

I think we are underestimating that the opposition so far are playing either some very good football or the game of their lives (Leicester in that case) with good finishes.

Mentioned it last night but any error we seem to make comes with the biggest punishment.

Sometimes though you make your own luck or in our case bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

His 1st half performances seem be decent, but he tends to caught out more in 2nd half's especially last couple of games.

That would make sense though, he has to cover sh!t loads of ground trying to cover for everyone else, who're gone forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Is there anything to be said for giving Jones the captains armband on nights like last night when Rooney and Fletcher are both out of the team. It might help him become the leader of the defense, because we need one.

He has no pace at all, was watching him at the start of the game last night and I thought he must have been carrying a knock. Maybe it's just me but he seems quite stocky and slow.
    ericzeking wrote: »
    That would make sense though, he has to cover sh!t loads of ground trying to cover for everyone else, who're gone forward.

He was also the only one really pressing for their first goal yesterday as well, sprinting right across Shaw to try block Wisdom. Here, I made a GIF :)

hPj0HK8.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

He's got the brain to make up for the slight lack of pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Jones should never have stepped out of defence unless he knew he could either win the ball or put Sessègnon on his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I couldn't really fault the defence for the first goal last night, Shaw was tight to his man when he came out of the defensive line, and it was a great touch by the WBA player to send it around the corner. We got back in numbers but it was a great ball and top class finish to score.

Jones made a bad mistake for the second though, he ambled out of the line and didn't come close to winning the ball. In these situations you either run the ball or foul. Rafael was also out of position playing Berahino onside, but it wouldn't have mattered if Jones hadn't been caught it first. Berahino did really well to score.

To be honest these are the toes of mistakes we can expect from a defence that hadn't played together before. We need to start playing a settled side. The attack was also disjointed last night, RVP was almost anonymous. Falcao has to start against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

For me that just shows lack of concentration. The team are pretty solid for most of the match, but when they slip up they leave someone wide open with a perfect goal scoring opportunity.

For me that just shows lack of concentration. The team are pretty solid for most of the match, but when they slip up they leave someone wide open with a perfect goal scoring opportunity.
    And unfortunately, they are taking their shots very well - in particular Leicester.

And unfortunately, they are taking their shots very well - in particular Leicester.

They're taking their chances unbelievably well, it's not like all those goals were sitters. Ronaldo has a 35% shot conversion rate, which is higher than pretty much anyone. Compare that to the shots/goals stars against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They're taking their chances unbelievably well, it's not like all those goals were sitters. Ronaldo has a 35% shot conversion rate, which is higher than pretty much anyone. Compare that to the shots/goals stars against us.

Yes but how many games has Ronaldo played against that United defence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Chelsea/united line up on sunday...

courtouis/de gea

ivanovic/rafael cahill/jones terry/rojo luis/shaw

fabregas/blind matic/carrick

willian/rvp(but not this position) oscar/fellaini hazard/di maria

costa/falcao

that Chelsea back line scares me from what they will do from set pieces. Every single player has arbout a 2-3 inch height advantage and they all love to attack the ball. Fellaini must start for his height alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Lol, that made me chuckle

What? Why not? Did you not see him last night? a) Its his best position b) How is playing a real physical and goal threat in his best position an admission of failure? The logic your applying is all wrong.

Fellaini was a beast there for Everton and looked like that player last night. Why would you not want that? Under Moyes, deep in midfeild Fellaini had to collect the ball and move it forward. All of his talents were wasted back there and he offered us nothing and with no decent MF partner was made to look poorer than he is.

LVG said you need physicality in the EPL in his post match interview and thats why Fellaini came on. Gary Nev said there is nothing wrong or to be embarrssed about with using him there. Its common sense.

I'd like to see Fellaini start against Chelsea and City and try to bully those defenses. Falcao too, he looks great at getting stuck in and holds the ball amazingly well under pressure from more than one player and usually comes away with it.

What we saw last night from Fellaini proved that all the flop stuff thrown at him from last season about the price tag etc was BS. He is a good player with much to offer. If we get the Fellaini of Everton firing on all cylinders for us I say bring it on. He is a real handful for any defense.

Fine, lets go the whole hog and get Fash the Bash back from retirement and ask the rest of the crazy gang to choose our tactics, that'll work really well.

Ive no interest in watching that tripe and more importantly it will fail at the highest level. Go watch Stoke or Crystal Palace if thats your bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It may be that both Mata and Fellaini have to go, being Moyes' two signings, in order to eradicate fully what he did to the club and get some closure on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Fine, lets go the whole hog and get Fash the Bash back from retirement and ask the rest of the crazy gang to choose our tactics, that'll work really well.

Ive no interest in watching that tripe and more importantly it will fail at the highest level. Go watch Stoke or Crystal Palace if thats your bag.

That finish from Fellaini last night was hardly tripe, was it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

bangkok wrote: »
    Chelsea/united line up on sunday...

courtouis/de gea

ivanovic/rafael cahill/jones terry/rojo luis/shaw

fabregas/blind matic/carrick

willian/rvp(but not this position) oscar/fellaini hazard/di maria

costa/falcao

that Chelsea back line scares me from what they will do from set pieces. Every single player has arbout a 2-3 inch height advantage and they all love to attack the ball. Fellaini must start for his height alone.

If Costa is fit that'll be our line up but RVP on the right hand side is a bit mad no?

Luis bombs on at all opportunities, his open play delivery is usually of good quality but I cant imagine RVP offering much help to Rafael to stop Hazard and Luis, nothing meaningful anyway and we'd get joy on that side.

That would be a glaring oversight if RVP was to start wide right for Utd, IMO.

Depending on how Utd line up we could go 4-3-3 to match them Cesc and Oscar playing in front of Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

He was also the only one really pressing for their first goal yesterday as well, sprinting right across Shaw to try block Wisdom. Here, I made a GIF :)

hPj0HK8.gif

I'd hope he'd be faster sprinting than another player jogging! I know he has a good head on him etc. I just hadn't noticed he was slow before.

greendom wrote: »
    Yes but how many games has Ronaldo played against that United defence ?

Look at some of the teams in Spain ffs.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Costa is fit that'll be our line up but RVP on the right hand side is a bit mad no?

Luis bombs on at all opportunities, his open play delivery is usually of good quality but I cant imagine RVP offering much help to Rafael to stop Hazard and Luis, nothing meaningful anyway and we'd get joy on that side.

That would be a glaring oversight if RVP was to start wide right for Utd, IMO.

Depending on how Utd line up we could go 4-3-3 to match them Cesc and Oscar playing in front of Matic.

no he wont play there, like I said in brackets but he will start. we will play a diamond 442 with falcao and rvp up top, fellaini in the no10 role to cause problems but I can see Chelsea beating united by the odd goal. way to much power in the team. Matic is a beast, would love him at united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

very disappointing start to the season - all things considered (fixtures, money spent etc etc) its worst than last season.

if you compare like for like, replacing the 3 relegated teams directly with the 3 promoted teams in order of how they finished, we are actually down 9 points on last season for the corresponding fixtures - we picked up 7 wins in those 8 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

very disappointing start to the season - all things considered (fixtures, money spent etc etc) its worst than last season.

if you compare like for like, replacing the 3 relegated teams directly with the 3 promoted teams in order of how they finished, we are actually down 9 points on last season for the corresponding fixtures - we picked up 7 wins in those 8 games.

If you dumped your missus for a hotter fitter bird, would you expect her to cook and clean better than your the one you got rid of straight away?

Results aside, and yes we're in the results business... if you take into the style of play, the players brought in and out and the injuries we've had, there is a lot of positives. Now that's taking all things considered. Slightly disappointing - yes. Very Disappointing - no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pro. F wrote: »
    Rojo was very poor last night. He messed up a few simple long balls and just let Berahino go to score his goal.

Very poor? Ah a bit harsh. he wasn't great and a bit wreckless.

I wasn't impressed with Herrera, Shaw and Adnan more so, I get what you're saying but Rojo did some good stuff too. The other 3 were either sloppy, predictive or lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trilla wrote: »

Results aside, and yes we're in the results business... if you take into the style of play, the players brought in and out and the injuries we've had, there is a lot of positives. Now that's taking all things considered. Slightly disappointing - yes. Very Disappointing - no.

of course the football is going to be better, when weve signed better players and spend the guts of £120m +. not sure how that can be seen as a positive, when it was something that was minumum expectations - the real expectations has been results however.

lets be honest, most people would have expected/demanded 22 points on the board by now and last season wed knocked up 21 points from those 8 games. i know circumstances alters cases and all that, but come on....to have dropped so many points from an easy fixture list is not acceptable now matter what those circumstances are.
    Trilla wrote: »
    If you dumped your missus for a hotter fitter bird, would you expect her to cook and clean better than your the one you got rid of?

who gives a f*ck about cooking and cleaning, if she was putting out 5 times a week. very strange logic, each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I am firmly in the Van Gaal Camp but its been a disastrous start to the season. Hugely Disappointing. We have played nobody of use and only have 12 points. We are also still not scoring or creating enough chances.

I just hope we are playing Chelsea at the right time with the injuries they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

There are too many formations being used imo(which is Van Gaals fault). Also with the amount of injuries this season there hasnt been anything near a settled team. Also half the team is a new team! None of this is helping in getting any sort of momentum in the team.

The injuries are unfortunate and perhaps can be looked at to see what can be done to keep them to a minimum but the changing formations from Van Gaal is becoming pretty annoying.

New players who need to get used to playing with each other, set them up how you want and stick with it as much as you can. Let them get used to each other in a formation rather than trying to be too smart with all these formations.

adox wrote: »
    There are too many formations being used imo(which is Van Gaals fault). Also with the amount of injuries this season there hasnt been anything near a settled team. Also half the team is a new team! None of this is helping in getting any sort of momentum in the team.

The injuries are unfortunate and perhaps can be looked at to see what can be done to keep them to a minimum but the changing formations from Van Gaal is becoming pretty annoying.

New players who need to get used to playing with each other, set them up how you want and stick with it as much as you can. Let them get used to each other in a formation rather than trying to be too smart with all these formations.

whats more annoying imo, is when the team or a certain player is doing poorly and van gaal just sits there. There has to be times in the game when you gave someone a bollocking or tell them to get their head into the gameor at least dish out some instructions. I don't think I have seen him once on the sideline doing any of the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's worrying that we have had two players who were arguably the best in the world in their position for different periods and both have looked average players at United, for some reason the conditions at United didn't and aren't letting Kagawa and Mata flourish

Yesterday Van Gaal brought Fellaini on to exploit Di Maria's crosses, when Moyes did similar last year there were calls for him to be instantly sacked, it's not going to help a number 10 when that's your gameplan, RVP has been so off form, that's not going to help a number 10 either and it's completely stupid not to play Falcao in the next game, Falcao is more comparable to Aguero, he is always looking to be played in, always on the move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Time to sack LVG so, especially when we get 0/6 from the next 2 games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Was I the only one to notice that Fellaini has turned into a player that actually, gasp, wins headers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's worrying that we have had two players who were arguably the best in the world in their position for different periods and both have looked average players at United, for some reason the conditions at United didn't and aren't letting Kagawa and Mata flourish

Yesterday Van Gaal brought Fellaini on to exploit Di Maria's crosses, when Moyes did similar last year there were calls for him to be instantly sacked, it's not going to help a number 10 when that's your gameplan, RVP has been so off form, that's not going to help a number 10 either and it's completely stupid not to play Falcao in the next game, Falcao is more comparable to Aguero, he is always looking to be played in, always on the move

This is either a black mark against LVG or a black mark against the anti-Moyes commentariat. I'm not sure which way you're swinging on the subject...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Also for people who said Fellaini can't pass or is too slow on the ball just take a look at last night. His passing was very good and he passed and moved the ball very well and quick.

He certainly can have an impact this season. His 45 mins last night is better than anything Blind or Herrera have done so far this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Close the thread.

Time to pack up. Sack everyone. We are done as football club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/man-united-midfielder-ander-herrera-now-under-investigation-for-match-fixing-marca/

The last thing the club needs right now regardless of the legitimacy of the article!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

bullvine wrote: »
    I am firmly in the Van Gaal Camp but its been a disastrous start to the season. Hugely Disappointing. We have played nobody of use and only have 12 points. We are also still not scoring or creating enough chances.

I just hope we are playing Chelsea at the right time with the injuries they have.

only costa is a doubt for the game from a starting XI point.

Ramires Schurrle Mikel are doubtful but none are nailed on starters thus year and Azpilicueta is suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Was I the only one to notice that Fellaini has turned into a player that actually, gasp, wins headers?

The very first action he was involved was winning the ball and played nice pass to Di Maria. He was good yesterday and looked confident. He also looked physically stronger something he didn't last season (maybe something to do with injury).

Also one aspect that has improved immensely this season is goals from midfield. Di Maria has scored 3, Herrera 2, Mata 2, Blind and Fellaini 1. That's 9 out of 15 goals scored and also they have made 7 assists. That's a good stat. At least this season there is a genuine feeling that goals will come from midfield and all the players looks goal threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Close the thread.

Time to pack up. Sack everyone. We are done as football club.

Your Fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I didnt say that. All i'm saying is that both Rojo and Jones made poor decisions last night. Poor decision making concedes goals in the long run. Neither look like a centre back i want leading the team.

Well you see, when I said Rojo looks solid, you said you disagree with that statement and explained why, using that as your reasoning for the position. An incident in isolation which has probably happened to every defender at some point.

If you just mean he made an error last night then fine, but using it to say he has not looked pretty solid since he came in is where I would take issue.

All players makes mistakes

It is tough for him though, pretty much everyone else is pushing forward and leaving him to be the anchor, his booking last night is a good example of this, he had to make that foul as they were going to break on us again and we could have been exposed. Players are moving all around him and he doesnt get that much help defensively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is either a black mark against LVG or a black mark against the anti-Moyes commentariat. I'm not sure which way you're swinging on the subject...

Surely it's both, we can be annoyed at our new manager doing the same as our old one and getting worse results despite the 60 million pound player delivering the ball instead of Young and Valencia

LVG needs to try fix the problem with what we have, at the moment it looks like we are writing off 6 months of the season and hoping we can get a top defender in January, playing Carrick and Blind might help the back 4. Mata on the left, Di Maria on the right and Rooney off Falcao. There has to be goals in that front 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

whats more annoying imo, is when the team or a certain player is doing poorly and van gaal just sits there. There has to be times in the game when you gave someone a bollocking or tell them to get their head into the gameor at least dish out some instructions. I don't think I have seen him once on the sideline doing any of the above

I think he came out with some wishy washy ****e about him being better able to influence things in the dressing room rather then performing histrionics on the side lines like the wengers of the world. And there is an awful lot of sideline blowhards who for all their wild gesticulating make fcuk all impact on the game, but then there are the Mourinhos who use every stoppage in play to pull someone aside to issue instructions that turn a game or stem the tide.

Yeah, and if you look back on his entire career you won't see him doing it a whole lot either. Its not his thing.

It annoys me when people expect certain things of others that they have no obligation to provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It may be that both Mata and Fellaini have to go, being Moyes' two signings, in order to eradicate fully what he did to the club and get some closure on the issue.
    Seriously, what sort of logic is this? It makes absolutely no sense, unless I'm missing an injoke.

I think he came out with some wishy washy ****e about him being better able to influence things in the dressing room rather then performing histrionics on the side lines like the wengers of the world. And there is an awful lot of sideline blowhards who for all their wild gesticulating make fcuk all impact on the game, but then there are the Mourinhos who use every stoppage in play to pull someone aside to issue instructions that turn a game or stem the tide.

Van Gaal brought Fellaini on. Fellaini scored pretty much instantly. Van Gaal was correct in his analysis that Fellaini could have an impact. He managed to do that without throwing his arms around in a fit, or pulling players aside every time the ball goes dead.

Mad how different managers have different styles isn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

zerks wrote: »
    madcabbage wrote: »
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/man-united-midfielder-ander-herrera-now-under-investigation-for-match-fixing-marca/

The last thing the club needs right now regardless of the legitimacy of the article!!

101greatgoals has gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Snippetts from an article titled LVG says UTD can still win title
    But the former Netherlands and Barcelona coach remains relaxed and claimed his team's title hopes are not over just yet. "That's possible but difficult to say because then I am arrogant," he said. "But I have done it a lot of times."

Van Gaal insisted his team's failure to defeat West Brom did not mean their prospects against the unbeaten leaders should be dismissed. "Now we have to play Chelsea, but you cannot compare West Bromwich Albion with great respect," he said.

"I think Chelsea and (second placed) Man City are another level. We have to see if we can beat them. I am already thinking it starts with the offensive and also how the attackers are defending. You could see that in their (West Brom) first goal."

http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/nationalleagues/nationalleague=england-premier-league-2000000000/news/newsid/245/938/9/index.html?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement