Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Whats your point?

Go on, ill entertain you.

Whats yours?

Nani has now become that american football quarterback cliche living off that one throw that won the superbowl. That was his season man. Now he just hangs around the field wearing his old jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Go on, ill entertain you.

Whats yours?

Nani has now become that american football quarterback cliche living off that one throw that won the superbowl. That was his season man. Now he just hangs around the field wearing his old jacket.

Aye except the powers that be decided to give him a bumper 5 year contract after which he barely played a game for us and now we're paying him a fortune to play for another team.

More of a kicker than a QB imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Aye except the powers that be decided to give him a bumper 5 year contract after which he barely played a game for us and now we're paying him a fortune to play for another team.

The powers that be, or former manager, whichever. Just because someone gets a new contract that doesn't mean they either have to play or sit on our bench whilst they get paid. Far more beneficial for a player to be playing week in, week out than not.

And I'd compare him to Michael Vick post-jail if I was going to compare him to anything.

What the hell is a bumper 5 year contract?

Well, to extend his contract means we can sell him for a bit of money, or loan out for the season we dont need a bumper squad. If he becomes good again, win win

Yay bumper buzz words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Any mention of Di Maria ? Fantasy football site has him down as a thigh injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What the hell is a bumper 5 year contract?

Well, to extend his contract means we can sell him for a bit of money, or loan out for the season we dont need a bumper squad. If he becomes good again, win win

Yay bumper buzz words

Last sentence of the 4th paragraph of this article :D

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Last sentence of the 4th paragraph of this article :D

Yeah, I know what it means.

Its a buzz word, an adjective. pointless word to make something seem bigger than it is with no idea of how much exactly.

He more than likely just got an extension.

Meh, I dont care, im not gonna have a nani argument because they are stupid and everyone hates them.

Buzzwords makes me cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Chelsea looked good tonight. Hopefully that game takes something out of them for Sunday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Chelsea looked good tonight. Hopefully that game takes something out of them for Sunday though.

A midweek stroll in the park at home not a hope it takes anything out of them. If Costa is fit for Sunday i am actually terrified of what he will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And we just know Costa will be fit and all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

And we just know Costa will be fit and all

They just said on TV3 mourninho said no costa or remy on Sunday? Probably typical mourihno bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Opposition were very poor, we got 2 soft penalties but missed a few easy chances.

It was the perfect game before OT though, a glorified training match for 60mins and it was at home.

Remy is probably out of Sunday, looked like he tweaked his hamstring or groin.

I'd say if Costa is anywhere near fit, he'll be played.

Drogba showed all the signs of a 36 year old lacking match practice, nothing was sticking and his general play was only ok.

Cesc and Oscar were taken off.

Schurrle should be back this weekend and possibly Ramires too but all the talk will be about Costa.

This will be first big test for players like Blind and Herrera.

We need big game from both. Will excuse the latter for last night as he looked to not be fully recovered.

Hope Afroman starts Sunday i would not be surprised to see him replace Mata as a more direct option against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Chelsea will be fine without Costa or Remy. If the likes of Jamie Vardy can dismantle our defence then Hazard, Fabregas and Oscar shouldn't have too much trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

They just said on TV3 mourninho said no costa or remy on Sunday? Probably typical mourihno bs.

I would believe in this....

5phiWz.png

quicker than anything that comes out of Mourinho's mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I forgot to post this when the whole Ed Woodward gif popped up the other day so not really relevant now, only this is something they do regularly in the NFL, bad lip reading :) But they dub over it, highlights how easily you can mistake what someone is saying

http://www.testosteroneprinciples.org/funniest-nfl-voiceovers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone blaming Rafael, Jones, Rojo etc for the second goal should look at the brilliant analysis done by Neville and Carragher after the game

It all starts wiht Fellaini walking around a bit
    Di Maria more interested in going back to wide left then filling the CM hole left by Fellaini, where he actually was standing during WBA build up play
    Blind attacking the ball, closing down the space because WBA player was given too much time and room. Not sure where Adnan or RVP was at this point either but not blaming them
    Then Jones following suit and filling the gap left by Blind, Fellaini + Di Maria still nowhere to be seen
    At this point you could make a point of (a) Raf steps up which is dodgey or (b) Rojo drops and covers Jones ass
    Nothing GK could have done

I would believe in this....

quicker than anything that comes out of Mourinho's mouth.

Like when he said Costa would be out at the weekend and the whole of the UK and Ireland captained him in there FPL team? :p I captained Aguero
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Also the difference in fixtures. We have played Man City & Spurs both away from home & Southampton too.

Plus the champions league and missing Sturridge and others here and there

Kids are so demanding these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Costa has a long term problem, he needs to be managed carefully right now, that has been clear since the transfer went through. With the United game coming up there was really very little chance he would risk him against Palace and absolutely no chance he was going to play against Maribor.

If he doesn't start I will be astonished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

costa is definitely staring in sunday, he played 2 games with spain, theyn Chelsea played palace and Maribor. Mourinho was always going to have him 100% ready for united. He knows he can knock united out of the title race with a win sunday

bangkok wrote: »
    costa is definitely staring in sunday, he played 2 games with spain, theyn Chelsea played palace and Maribor. Mourinho was always going to have him 100% ready for united. He knows he can knock united out of the title race with a win sunday

United are gone out of the title race already but i agree Costa will start imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Utd are already out of the title race, we were never in it.

Utd are already out of the title race, we were never in it.

if we get 6 points in the next 2 games we are back in the title race with a bang

What i hope to see Sunday. Blind and Fellaini sitting, Herrera box to box, Di Maria a free role dragging defenders inside allowing the full backs offer width going forward.

===========De Gea============

===Raf=====Jones====Rojo====Shaw======

===========Blind====================

======Fellaini=====Herrera=========

==========Di Maria===================

======RVP==========Falcao============

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

if we get 6 points in the next 2 games we are back in the title race with a bang

If I win the lottery, I can buy a jet.

Doesn't mean it's really a possibility other than a near impossible opportunity.

How exactly are we we back in it. We have had a dream start fixture wise and thrown it away. Fixtures are only going to get tougher the league is gone Chelsea won't drop many points this season.

City and Chelsea are a level above us not a hope of 6 points off them. Your sounding like people last season if we win the next two games we are back on for 4th. Hit a bad run get a win then if we win the next two we are back on track.

Look with your head not your heart, the league is gone take 4th with both hands and sign some defenders and push for 1st next season.

I only said "if"

I honestly think Chelsea and city will beat us comfortably, but then again we have di maria, the best player in the league, falcao and rvp (if he gets his act together) so we still have a chance. If you don't believe we can beat them whats the point, you always have to believe you can win and we certainly have the players who can hurt them both

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If I win the lottery, I can buy a jet.

Doesn't mean it's really a possibility other than a near impossible opportunity.

odds of winning lotto are 13,983,816/1. odds of utd beating Chelsea are 9/5 so that was a ridiculous argument

I think Chelsea will win the league but I'd fancy us beating Chelsea over City

4 points would be amazing
    2 would be ok
    1 is expected
    0 will be disappointing
    a hammering in one or both will be absolutely soul destroying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

odds of winning lotto are 13,983,816/1. odds of utd beating Chelsea are 9/5 so that was a ridiculous argument

I'd check your maths again there Bangkok.

Would say odds of United beating Chelsea are worse, bookies ain't a good judge of actual chances. They create their figures to entice people while not getting spanked.

If you don't believe we can beat them whats the point, you always have to believe you can win

We're not Utd players though, our belief or non-belief has zero effect on the outcome.

We're not Utd players though, our belief or non-belief has zero effect on the outcome.

but sure why even bother going to the game if you don't believe. Sing your heart out, get behind the team. The crowd can play a huge part in a game.

Or you could go, just sit there say nothing. great craic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They create their figures to entice people while not getting spanked.

They don't do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I wouldnt be so pesimistic if I was a Utd fan, you've a better squad and manager than last year, this squad should be pushing for the league.

The attacking talent is there to blow away teams but it hasnt clicked yet, not fully.

If Utd can pick up points in the 3 games against Chelsea, City, Arsenal then people might stand up and take notice but a lot depends on the ability to stop teams scoring, something Utd so far havent been able to do.

We'll be going to OT with our top scorer either unable to play or not 100% fit, thats never a good thing.

but sure why even bother going to the game if you don't believe. Sing your heart out, get behind the team. The crowd can play a huge part in a game.

Or you could go, just sit there say nothing. great craic :rolleyes:

To support your team, do you only go to games you think Utd will win? I find the best atmospheres to be the games when most fans think we haven't got much of a hope so really get behind the team eg Bayern last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I love football but singing stupid songs at football matches does nothing for me.

To support your team, do you only go to games you think Utd will win? I find the best atmospheres to be the games when most fans think we haven't got much of a hope so really get behind the team eg Bayern last year.

Liverpool last year at home really stood out for me.... the more Liverpool scored and played us off the park the more the fans sang....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wonder if Herrera wasn't fit on Monday combined with the news that Real Zaragoza are being investigated for match fixing while he was there.
    Manchester United’s Ander Herrera could be dragged into the on-going match-fixing investigation of the Spanish first division match between Levante and Zaragoza in the 2010-11 season.
    Reports in Spanish media on Tuesday suggest that Herrera, who was playing for Zaragoza at the time, is one of eight players who was paid a sum of money into his bank account by then Zaragoza president Iglesias Agapito, which he was then requested to return to his president in cash.
    The anti-corruption enquiry is investigating the possibility that Agapito used the money to pay off Zaragoza’s rivals Levante on the last day of the season in a game his team needed to win in order to stay up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Liverpool last year at home really stood out for me.... the more Liverpool scored and played us off the park the more the fans sang....

They're the games and wins I used to enjoy more than any others - the likes of Arsenal away when Sheasy scored the chip or against the 'Invincibles' team or against Barca in 08'. When backs are against the wall and we produce a result against the odds.

They don't do this.

What do you mean? You think bookies aren't in the business of enticing customers with decent odds while also trying to make sure they protect themselves when calculating the odds they are offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What do you mean? You think bookies aren't in the business of enticing customers with decent odds while also trying to make sure they protect themselves when calculating the odds they are offering?

There isn't the slightest consideration to enticing anyone to do anything involved. Maybe on much, much smaller events (even then, only to a very small degree), but on one of the biggest games of the year in any sport they are desperately trying to compile odds that reflect the actual probabilities as accurately as possible.

The slightest bit of wavering from the true odds on an event like this and they would get murdered by the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm not overly fearful of City or Chelsea. I'm not expecting miracles but I'm seeing two teams who are going to want to go for us...leaving space for our players to counter attack and break at pace.

Also City's defence has been pretty woeful this season. The 4-1 scoreline against Spurs was flattering.

While the West From result was poor...we dominates the game and came back twice from behind...something we havnt been doing like old.

Two big games one after another might be the shot in the arm this team needs to click.

How exactly can bookies entice customers with decent odds while protecting themselves it makes no sense at all its a contradiction.

They are all competitive on prices for singles.

They offer enhanced prices for new accounts to get you to join.
    They go standout price on a single if they want to take it on.
    They offer enhanced multiples because they rarely come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They don't price up to 'tempt' or 'entice' customers, if they price MUFC at 9/5 it is because they believe that this is the correct market price (minus bookies margin) for the chances of United winning.

(They may like to give the impression during marketing/advertising that they are dangling fantastic enticing prices though.)

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm not overly fearful of City or Chelsea. I'm not expecting miracles but I'm seeing two teams who are going to want to go for us...leaving space for our players to counter attack and break at pace.

Also City's defence has been pretty woeful this season. The 4-1 scoreline against Spurs was flattering.

While the West From result was poor...we dominates the game and came back twice from behind...something we havnt been doing like old.

Two big games one after another might be the shot in the arm this team needs to click.

Berahinio ripped us apart with speed and good movement from limited providers. Just imagine what a very inform Aguero being supplied by world class players is going to do. To beat City we are going to need to score 3 or 4 because Aguero is going to destroy that defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just hope Di Maria is going to be fit.

TBH these are the games I love.

I love the fact nobody is giving us a chance. The more 0-3 wins to the away team I see the better.

The more people think we are getting spanked the better.

OT will be rocking on Sunday.
    Viva John Terry!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

TBH these are the games I love.

I love the fact nobody is giving us a chance. The more 0-3 wins to the away team I see the better.

The more people think we are getting spanked the better.

OT will be rocking on Sunday.
    Viva John Terry!!!

Coulda won the cup but he fecked it up!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement