Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Headshot wrote: »
    Where would he actually fit in this team?

I'd play him at CB ahead of Smalling, so we'll find a place for him alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Center back. Will be able to carry the ball out if defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We will eventually move to 433 with two wide men imo, it's LVG's formation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Reus scored and absolute blinder with his bad foot last night

I hope we are in for him when he eventually moves

I fear injury proneness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

how many games has each played in the CL?

110. 55(16 goals) for us, 54(55 goals) for Real and 1(0 goals) for sporting. 55 goals in 54 CL games is insane.

Good news about Di Maria, although it concerns me that he always looks knackered after 60 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Good news about Di Maria, although it concerns me that he always looks knackered after 60 minutes.

In fairness to him he's doing a tonne of work. He's the attacking impetus of the team. Nobody else is really helping in that department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cleverley looked knackered after 60 minutes too & he barely moved,if he worked as hard as Di Maria he'd need hospitalisation for exhaustion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

he only looks knackered... he is probably the fittest player we have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

If Costa and Remy are out who would you prefer to see upfront Drogba, Cesc or Schurrle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If Costa and Remy are out who would you prefer to see upfront Drogba, Cesc or Schurrle?

Schurrle

Remember last season in OT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It will probably be Schurrle as Drogbas legs are gone. Even against a woeful Maribor defence he wasn't as lethal as the Drogba of old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Van Gaal offers Valdes a chance to recover

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has offered the 32-year-old former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes a chance to complete his rehabilitation from a knee injury and to work his way back to fitness with the club.

Valdes, a free agent, will have his recovery supervised by the United medical staff before training with the first team, as he bids to regain full fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God No!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Just helping a guy out by the looks of it. I wouldn't say we'll be signing him or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Valdes is only 32? Should only be hitting his prime. Odd that he's seen as a spent force this early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Nice touch from Van Gaal, shame we wouldnt do it though.. who knows..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He'll only get more injured at United.

I think it's a good idea. He gets to train and rehab at the club and the keepers we have get the value of his experience. DDG is still number 1 and this won't change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Why the feck would you come to United to get fit??

Has he missed our yearly injury crisis? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Victor Valdés will sign a contract at Manchester United if he passes the medical tests in the next few days. [md]

Not bad backup :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Perhaps Anders Lindegaard wants to go and be first choice elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We should sign Valdes just to annoy the Pool fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

What's there to lose from giving the guy a chance to recuperate? Doesn't mean we're gonna sign him or anything. And if he does, give the lad a short term contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Always liked Valdes, and never understood the hate he got, you dont play for Barcelona for that long without being a really top class keeper....

I'm glad to see the likes of this happening for at least two reasons, it's good PR for the club - this is the kind of thing that still has me believing that United are a well run club, with proper ideals and beliefs. So what if he'll never kick a ball for us, give the lad a chance to get fit and be a success somewhere else.

And it could also be a huge help to de Gea, what with having another compatriot there, especially for the GK specific training. GK stuff can be very lonely, training in isolation from the other players in a much smaller group. And even if it is for a short period, what harm can it do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I won't mind him being signed up. A lot of clubs now have 2 good keepers. Chelsea Man City Arsenal Bayern Real Barca just off the top of my head.

I don't rate Lindegaard at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Signing De Gea to a new deal is almost as important as defensive reinforcements in January IMO.

He's a super keeper and with his age, ability and being out of contract at the end of next season he's bound to be a huge target for the Spanish big 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I have zero faith in Anders to step up anymore, so think we would need a second goalkeeper who has potential to challange De Gea. Would be thrilled with Valdes and for free too? Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

Surely Valdes wage demands would be too high for 2nd choice goalkeeper if United did want to sign him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Signing Valdes makes sense, need a backup keeper as I think lindegard was told in summer he could look for another club....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Center back. Will be able to carry the ball out if defence

No no, if he comes to United he will play CM.

duck & cover

Just want to add I think it's a nice touch by the club. It was awful to see his last season at Barca ended by injury just after he said he would leave. I thought barca would offer him one more year (maybe they did) but I heard nothing on that. For such a great keeper to end up clubless for those reasons is sad. Even if he just gets fit and signs elsewhere, fair play to the club for doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I posted here back in August that we should be raiding the free agents list, two weeks ago William Gallas retired, he would have been excellent cover in the dwindling defence we have this season, who else is still out there in the wilderness waiting to be signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Valdes can have a pick of most top clubs when he becomes fit. I don't know what's more funny United fan's thinking Valdes would come to United as a backup or United would pay 100k plus a week for a backup keeper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Valdes can have a pick of most top clubs when he becomes fit. I don't know what's more funny United fan's thinking Valdes would come to United as a backup or United would pay 100k plus a week for a backup keeper.

Or maybe David has his heart set on a move back to Spain and we're replacing him.

Anyway I must go now. Talk to ye all tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Nuts102 wrote: »

Well I imagine that he is just training with us because he needs the fitness and knows VG from their time in Barca together. I don't think we will sign him but wouldn't be overly surprised.

Valdes may have been making 100k when starting with Barcelona but any fan who thinks he may be swayed to come as back up definitely wouldn't think he will get payed that figure.

If he enjoys his time training there and gets offered similar wages to Lindegaard is on (Around 50k) he may be tempted to take up an offer as back up, provided there isn't more appealing offers out there (which I imagine there is).

It is all just speculation and rumours at the moment. Just because he is training with us doesn't mean he will sign, look at the likes of Beckham, Henry and countless others who have trained with teams for fitness and that was it, but the possibility is interesting so it is no wonder that fans are discussing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I posted here back in August that we should be raiding the free agents list, two weeks ago William Gallas retired, he would have been excellent cover in the dwindling defence we have this season, who else is still out there in the wilderness waiting to be signed.

You'd be happy to have signed a 37yr old Gallas who last played for Perth Glory?!
    Holy scrotal recall batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Barcelonas greatest achievement was making Valdes look like a world class keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Anyone else heading over to the Chelsea match on Sunday?
    I've had this on loop pretty much all day, can't wait :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Barcelonas greatest achievement was making Valdes look like a world class keeper.

That and making SFA on Cesc transfer. Wooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Never been a fan of Valdes, but maybe he can be good for De Gea to be around and the squad actually in general in terms of experience and a winning mentality. He would surely provide a good sounding board for De Gea anyway in terms of being a keeper in a possession based team where distribution is so important for a keeper

Na he never even looked world class no matter how little he had to do, very good for their system though. He used his feet well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Panthro wrote: »
    You'd be happy to have signed a 37yr old Gallas who last played for Perth Glory?!
    Holy scrotal recall batman!

Rather him than a bunch of injuries leading us to resort to Antonio in defence again, beggars can't be choosers/ needs must etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

kryogen wrote: »
    Na he never even looked world class no matter how little he had to do, very good for their system though. He used his feet well[/QUOTE]

:pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3x_VxF1Za8

• Advertisement

Rather him than a bunch of injuries leading us to resort to Antonio in defence again, beggars can't be choosers/ needs must etc etc.

We played Blackett though, then McNair and if needs be Thorpe is next up to the plate I believe :)

Wouldn't have Gallas anywhere near the team at this point! Much rather giving the younger guys games as inexperienced as they are. Hopefully we can get a run now with Jones and Rojo to develop an understanding

haha

Yeah some of those are brilliant, but overall that is what he was good at and why he was a good fit for Barca, as a keeper though he never impressed me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Mirror reporting Costa and Remy both out on Sunday. Please don't shít me up this time Mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Costa will play

Who out of Evans, Jones and Smalling will concede the least against Chelsea is the question burning in the back of LVGs mind I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Anyone else heading over to the Chelsea match on Sunday?
    I've had this on loop pretty much all day, can't wait :P

That chant alone has made him my favourite player currently.

United 1-0 Chelsea. Falcao 94'. It's gonna happen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement