Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think we will get point on Sunday.

I know I'm crazy and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Let's say we win on Sunday, will that be the turning point for us or will it still take a bit more time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I predict a 1-1 Sunday. We'll come out all guns blazing, get an early goal only to be pegged back and hang on for a draw.

Hococop wrote: »
    Let's say we win on Sunday, will that be the turning point for us or will it still take a bit more time?

City and Arsenal games would have to be over before we know where we stand IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

The Keane vs Vieira doc never gets old. ITV4 take the piss how many times they replay it but you'll often be tempted to go for the rewatch and it never disappoints. A great period in English football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

How do we see us lining up on Sunday? I know there's a strong argument to put Fellani in the team, but I can't put him in and leave Mata on the bench, it would just feel wrong :P

De Gea
    --Raf---Jones--Rojo---Shaw--
    Herrera--Carrick--Blind--
    Di Maria--Mata

Falcao

Like that team but reckon RVP will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ScummyMan wrote: »
    How do we see us lining up on Sunday? I know there's a strong argument to put Fellani in the team, but I can't put him in and leave Mata on the bench, it would just feel wrong :P

De Gea
    --Raf---Jones--Rojo---Shaw--
    Herrera--Carrick--Blind--
    Di Maria--Mata

Falcao

Putting Carrick back in for the first time this season against Chelsea with no football under his belt would be madness

If you swap him for Fellaini you might be on to something though, one thing, if RvP doesnt play who captains the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

kryogen wrote: »
    Putting Carrick back in for the first time this season against Chelsea with no football under his belt would be madness

If you swap him for Fellaini you might be on to something though, one thing, if RvP doesnt play who captains the team?

Mata obv.

You have a point on Carrick alright. No way am I having Fellani in there tho, he's brutal as a holding midfielder we had enough of that sh!te last year.

Captains role is over rated too imo, would you drop Falcao to fit RVP in? Give it to Jones or DDG for all it matters tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The obvious thing to do would be play RVP and Falcao together and let them form a strike partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fellaini has had 75 minutes of football in the league this season to be fair, hardly a big advantage over Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't think my TV would survive a kicking if I watched a Chelsea midfielder bypass a dazing Fellaini before scoring the winner. He just switches off from his defensive duties and I wouldn't have him playing in a game like this.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    You have a point on Carrick alright. No way am I having Fellani in there tho, he's brutal as a holding midfielder we had enough of that sh!te last year.

Captains role is over rated too imo, would you drop Falcao to fit RVP in? Give it to Jones or DDG for all it matters tbh.

See I think it does matter, leadership and organisation is something that is really lacking when we are trying to see a game out.

Fellaini wouldnt be the holding one, that would be Blind, Fellaini would be box to box like he was the other night.

I think he might put RvP in and leave out Mata, Falcao as the furthest forward with RvP operating in behind him

Fellaini has had 75 minutes of football in the league this season to be fair, hardly a big advantage over Carrick

He has had more training and he looked good in his 45 minutes the other night, would certainly have him in there ahead of Carrick right now who is a notoriously slow starter and will be more then likely woefully off the pace

See I think it does matter, leadership and organisation is something that is really lacking when we are trying to see a game out.

Fellaini wouldnt be the holding one, that would be Blind, Fellaini would be box to box like he was the other night.

I think he might put RvP in and leave out Mata, Falcao as the furthest forward with RvP operating in behind him

RvP is hardly the man to organize though? If you have a standout captain, a Keane or Vidic, then obviously leaders like that are hugely important. We have nobody like that, so whoever gets the captaincy is a bit pointless to me.

I see what you're saying there about Fellani alright, but playing with just Blind covering that defence against Chelsea, we may aswell just bend over to them!
    I'd prefer to see Carrick steadying the ship back there too.

He brings experience to the table, I am just looking at it from what I think LvG wants really.

I dont see a way of fitting them both in the team playing up front, we dont have the midfield really to go 442 against them though I would love it!

Maybe a 433 with Blind Herrera and Fellaini (I know he isnt popular, but even as a set piece threat he could be worth his place! Chelsea are a big team) Then Di Maria and RvP or Mata operating in and around Falcao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I think would like to see:

DDG
    Rafael-Jones-Rojo-Shaw
    ---Blind---Herrera---
    Fellaini
    Di Maria
    ---RVP--Falcao

Di Maria would be expected to do too much there, though. It's a very tough game to pick a team for! Don't want to leave the defence open to Hazard, Oscar etc., but obviously also want to pose an attacking threat as well. Perhaps Blind as a holding MF, Di Maria and Fellaini ahead of him, then Mata behind RVP and Falcao. That would be very brave though, leaves Blind awfully exposed.

I'm so confused! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Blinder and Herrera behind Fellaini with Mata and Di Maria either side of Falcao would be what I'd do, but I'm a bit of a hipster with regards these things :p

Edit: Just realised auto correct changed Blind to Blinder for some reason. I'm keeping it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

baz2009 wrote: »
    I think would like to see:

DDG
    Rafael-Jones-Rojo-Shaw
    ---Blind---Herrera---
    Fellaini
    Di Maria
    ---RVP--Falcao

Di Maria would be expected to do too much there, though. It's a very tough game to pick a team for! Don't want to leave the defence open to Hazard, Oscar etc., but obviously also want to pose an attacking threat as well. Perhaps Blind as a holding MF, Di Maria and Fellaini ahead of him, then Mata behind RVP and Falcao. That would be very brave though, leaves Blind awfully exposed.

I'm so confused! :P

Drop rvp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Drop rvp

Would love to see it happen, but I've given up hope that it will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Valencia will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It speaks to the lack of quality in our midfield that a player like Felliani can go from absolutely useless to a preferred option against Chelsea just from scoring one goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Valencia will start.

I long for the day when he's not even considered as an option for the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Fellaini would be a big help in defending set pieces against chelsea. They are very dangerous with corners and free kicks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It speaks to the lack of quality in our midfield that a player like Felliani can go from absolutely useless to a preferred option against Chelsea just from scoring one goal.

If you think it was just from scoring one goal then you mustn't have seen the game. His impact was signifcant in general play and his physicality would be a huge asset at set pieces against a strong team like Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Uh i hate the discussion of playing Valencia because of his defending. Firstly he is not great defensively the fact he doesn't bother attacking just means he is deeper than he should be.

Chelsea may be on form but United have Di Maria, Mata, RVP, Falcao going forward that is unbelievable attacking options. It looks like their only striker will be a 37yr old striker with little match fitness.

We should go out and attack them i am very confident of a win at home especially if Costa is missing. I don't think we can win the league but if we want to make a statement going out and beating Chelsea could kickstart the season.

Or it could be the fact in that 45 minutes he produced a better performance than anybody else this season in cm besides Di Maria.

Valencia will start.

I think that also :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fellaini would be a big help in defending set pieces against chelsea. They are very dangerous with corners and free kicks

One of the reasons I reckon RVP and Fellaini will start on Sunday, but Rafael won't start.

• Advertisement

Its not his goal that would have him included over an completely un match fit Carrick, its that Carrick is completely un match fit, and Fellaini would provide a physical presence (theoretically) Who else? Fletcher?

Fellaini played very well when he came on, and he will be good to have on the pitch for set pieces. Who knows what Van Gaal will actually do though, the 532 may make an appearance

In fairness to Fellaini, when he came on against West Brom he looked a bit more like the player that plenty of people in here were shouting for back in 11 / 12. He had a mare of a season last year, but there's a decent player hiding in there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fellaini is not absolutely useless. Never was. He had a tough first season playing in a team void of any heart and pace, and was labelled as a bad signing because of the circumstances surrouding the deadline day transfer. Had he come in with the likes of Reus and Kroos etc, he'd have taken alot less ****e. He took the blame for every bad performace before his injury.

People forget that when he came back from said injury, United went on a solid run of clean sheets and his presence certainly helped shore things up.

At Everton, there wasn't a team in the league he didn't bully from start to finish. He destroyed us, City, Chelsea, Liverpool.

He might not be galmorous but I think he is one of our best options in the squad. He never looks panicked, he is perhaps the physically strongest player we have in midfield and he is showing signs of getting stuck in far more with headers etc.

If there is one player that I think LVG could get the best out of, it could be him.

My opinion may be very unfasionable among some United supports but C'est la Vie!

A Fellaini with confidence would be a brilliant option to have.

I think that also :(

Hold me?

I agree, fellaini was the brunt of a lot of peoples frustrations last year, If Fergie had bought him 2 years ago, it would have been fine.

He may not be the most glamourous player but he certainly more than good to be a squad player and be confident of doing well. he is a bit like Park or O shea, easy to blame them.

I agree, fellaini was the brunt of a lot of peoples frustrations last year, If Fergie had bought him 2 years ago, it would have been fine.

He may not be the most glamourous player but he certainly more than good to be a squad player and be confident of doing well. he is a bit like Park or O shea, easy to blame them.

I always liked both Park and O'Shea. :pac:

I always liked both Park and O'Shea. :pac:

Me too, great players, but were easy targets for people and then its impossible to argue.
    Its like K4t and Danny Welbz, but opposite.

A lot of people base their ratings of players from FIFA though, only a 78 on fifa, rubbish.

If you think it was just from scoring one goal then you mustn't have seen the game. His impact was signifcant in general play and his physicality would be a huge asset at set pieces against a strong team like Chelsea.
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    Or it could be the fact in that 45 minutes he produced a better performance than anybody else this season in cm besides Di Maria.

I did see the game, and he did alright. He got a goal and he got involved a bit, nothing special but he did do more than Herrera or Mata had in the first half.

And thats my point, we are still so bereft in that area that one 45 min performance is all it takes to go from zero to hero at this club. Felliani has been toxic at times but one 45 min performance and wham, he should be starting against Chelsea. No doubt if he doesn't perform on Sunday he will immediately be back to zero. Then Ashley Young will grab a goal and he will be flavour of the week again, just like in pre-season.

I'm not criticising those calling for him to play, hell he's a better option than Carrick or Fletcher. But it is disappointing that we are still so unsettled in that area that it takes so little to force your way into the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Are we signing Valdes ?
    Victor Valdes has began training with Manchester United as Liverpool have ditched their plans to sign him, according to the Liverpool Echo.

The Reds were heavily linked with a move for the Spanish international, who has been a free agent since his release from Barcelona in the summer.

After discussions with the player's representatives in recent days, Liverpool's desire to sign Valdes backed off - and now he will not sign a deal at Anfield.

Valdes has since began training with Manchester United and is expected to be offered a short-term deal with them in the near future.

• Advertisement

Ashley young was 'flavour of the week' because he put in good performances under a new manager and a new system, and new formation, a new position. Of course we had a spark of hope for him. Then reality hit us. You are just being sensationlist because it suits your negative agenda.

Fellaini could do the same, he isnt playing the same position as last year, new manager, etc etc. Looked good in the last game.

You are just being sensationlist because it suits your negative agenda.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

It's annoying that a player of his build and size isn't completely dominating in the centre. He has the physically attributes to throw himself around and bully opponents but he rarely does...

I have given him the benefit of the doubt though, It takes players a good season or more to settle in, that's with it being uninterrupted with injuries. Fellaini hasn't been given that, so I still reserve judgement, the likes of Evra and Vidic turned out to be great servants after shocking starts so there is still hope.

Yawn.

u k bbz?
    Chat me, drnks suun xoxox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Me too, great players, but were easy targets for people and then its impossible to argue.
    Its like K4t and Danny Welbz, but opposite.

A lot of people base their ratings of players from FIFA though, only a 78 on fifa, rubbish.

People who judge players based on FIFA are nuts.

Football Manager is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's a huge game no doubt the team will be out to prove a point with all the talk about how they have under performed against average opposition.

I'm going to be an optimistic and say they go into the game pumped up for it and put in a very good display.

My heart keeps telling me Falcao and Jones will have a blinder and we can get something out of the game but then my brain tells me not to be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

ShooterSF wrote: »
    People who judge players based on FIFA are nuts.

Football Manager is where it's at.

Still languishing at Farnham FC in my career so there wouldn't be many players in our league I'd be able to judge from that :(

I did see the game, and he did alright. He got a goal and he got involved a bit, nothing special but he did do more than Herrera or Mata had in the first half.

And thats my point, we are still so bereft in that area that one 45 min performance is all it takes to go from zero to hero at this club. Felliani has been toxic at times but one 45 min performance and wham, he should be starting against Chelsea. No doubt if he doesn't perform on Sunday he will immediately be back to zero. Then Ashley Young will grab a goal and he will be flavour of the week again, just like in pre-season.

I'm not criticising those calling for him to play, hell he's a better option than Carrick or Fletcher. But it is disappointing that we are still so unsettled in that area that it takes so little to force your way into the team.

In that 45 minutes he has shown more to deserve a game Sunday then Herrera has done all season. Herrera has been average at best this season and i think Fellaini deserves a start after his performance on Monday.

Your talking as if Fellaini is some average player who has never played to a good standard. He has performed very well for Belgium and Everton in cm for the past few seasons. He destroyed us in the 3-3 draw or was it 4-4 where he bullied us. We badly need something like that in the centre of the midfield and a confident Fellaini would be in my first 11.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    It's annoying that a player of his build and size isn't completely dominating in the centre. He has the physically attributes to throw himself around and bully opponents but he rarely does...

I have given him the benefit of the doubt though, It takes players a good season or more to settle in, that's with it being uninterrupted with injuries. Fellaini hasn't been given that, so I still reserve judgement, the likes of Evra and Vidic turned out to be great servants after shocking starts so there is still hope.

Have a look back on his time with Everton and say he isn't completely dominating. He came last season team had no spirit, he was getting a lot of injuries and well his own fans were booing him. He looked a shadow of himself from lack of confidence i am guessing. He showed Monday what he can do and a confident Fellaini can make a big contribution this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nuts102 wrote: »
    In that 45 minutes he has shown more to deserve a game Sunday then Herrera has done all season. Herrera has been average at best this season and i think Fellaini deserves a start after his performance on Monday.

Your talking as if Fellaini is some average player who has never played to a good standard. He has performed very well for Belgium and Everton in cm for the past few seasons. He destroyed us in the 3-3 draw or was it 4-4 where he bullied us. We badly need something like that in the centre of the midfield and a confident Fellaini would be in my first 11.

he didn't play centre midfield when he destroyed us, he played off the front man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement