Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Who has been better?

Evans has been a calamity.

Jones was doing decent then got injured.

I personally like Rojo but he's still finding his feet.

Shaw's only played about 3 games and caught out of position a few times already.

Smalling has got himself injured as usual.

Blackett/McNair have done ok for their age, nothing special is expected.

I blame Rafael for the loss at Leicester - and he was a yard too far behind the line for the second West Brom goal last night. That and his tendency to go haring off up the pitch and completely exposing that flank on occasion - he took off at one point the other night and was up on the edge of their penalty box when by the D when the attack broke down and only for I think Blind covered him by fouling the man going past him and we were in trouble again. He's great going forward and works his socks off but he's a liability at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

kstand wrote: »
    I blame Rafael for the loss at Leicester - and he was a yard too far behind the line for the second West Brom goal last night. That and his tendency to go haring off up the pitch and completely exposing that flank on occasion - he took off at one point the other night and was up on the edge of their penalty box when by the D when the attack broke down and only for I think Blind covered him by fouling the man going past him and we were in trouble again. He's great going forward and works his socks off but he's a liability at the back.

Ah in fairness, its harsh to blame one man for the team collapsing spectacularly. He was blatantly fouled by Vardy too for that "penalty". He did play them onside but I think there was a problem with each defender for the 2nd goal, someone highlighted it a few posts back so I won't repeat it.

Ah in fairness, its harsh to blame one man for the team collapsing spectacularly. He was blatantly fouled by Vardy too for that "penalty". He did play them onside but I think there was a problem with each defender for the 2nd goal, someone highlighted it a few posts back so I won't repeat it.

Yeah he was fouled and Vardy was looking for retaliation but he should have held his cool - it was a total turning point in a game we should have won comfortably. He has a habit of jumping in at times esp when he feels hard done by and we paid a huge price for what he did in that game.
    As for the other night, Jones didn't need to push up as far as he did going for the ball, but Rafael was at fault for not holding the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It was a very high lane in fairness. Dangerous stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Being too critical there on Rafa I think kstand...

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Being too critical there on Rafa I think kstand...

I love him going forward but his first job is to defend and he's far too excitable for full back and often gets caught out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

haha the first 20 secs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

"Every human being is special..." what a gent :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I really hope Van Gaal is a big success at United. He's very likeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

J. Marston wrote: »
    I really hope Van Gaal is a big success at United.

:eek::eek:

:pac: your kidding!?

dont we all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

bangkok wrote: »
    10 times better? last season we had already played city, Chelsea and Liverpool and we are only a point better off this year. my point is carrick is our best defensive midfielder player without doubt. Did you not see blind v Leicester away when we fell apart?

Seriously you must be in a civil partnership with Michael Carrick. Hes nowhere near good enough. Herrera and blind are better players. Hes finished, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

BloodBath wrote: »
    So in defence we should look something like this.

Rafael--Jones--Rojo--Shaw
    --Herrera---Blind---Di Maria
    --Van Persie----Fellaini----
    Falcao

With Van Persie and Fellaini marking the double pivot of Matic and Fabregas while the threat of Falcao up front will keep the CB's from breaking shape to help out. It will also make the wide backs reluctant to push up to help out forcing Chelsea to keep 5 in their own half most of the time.

That leave's Herrera, Blind and Di Maria to mark Willian, Oscar and Hazard assuming it's those 3 which means the back's are there to cover 2v1 for anyone who breaks through. Chelsea will have to take chances and break their shape although I can see them sitting back and waiting for us to do that so they can counter.

In attack it's a simple change. Van persie slots up front with Falcao and Di maria is free to overlap Fellaini to join them in which case he slots back to cover for him so we're not totally exposed on the counter.

Did you have to do that? Seriously now everyone is going to be at it and I'll have to smash my phone off my forehead at least once a day just to blank out the cosmic levels of irritation i'll experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

kstand wrote: »

He was right to drop back for Berahino's goal. You can't play offside when there's no pressure in midfield.

There's no issue with Blind slotting in for him when the attack breaks down up field, that's how it's supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Don't want to start the whole saga again so I'm quietly posting it here.

The whole he used "negrito" defense used by many looks pathetic now.
    Suárez insisted that his intent was not to insult Evra. “No, not at any time,” he said. “I just said: ‘Why, negro?’ and it was just like asking: ‘Why?’ These are things that footballers say, that happen all the time.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Don't want to start the whole saga again so I'm quietly posting it here.

The whole he used "negrito" defense used by many looks pathetic now.

It was totally fabricated, I thought everybody understood that after the report but still people say it, brainwashed into accepting it as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It was totally fabricated, I thought everybody understood that after the report but still people say it, brainwashed into accepting it as fact.

Exactly, in the report the word was clearly mentioned but how the other word was defended was just out of this world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

kryogen wrote: »
    A Fellaini with confidence would be a brilliant option to have.

No he wouldn't.

The man is an emblem for everything that has been wrong about Manchester United in recent years.

An appalling player and a horrible man who thinks nothing of vicious cowardly tackles and cheap shots. Technically limited and more suited to Tony Pulis' Stoke or Jack Charlton's Ireland.

Pound for pound the worst signing in the history of the club.

It's a disgrace for a club like ours to be in any way reliant on a player like him.

Incredible stuff. The guy is a complete joker. I wouldn't have him cleaning the jacks...genuinely.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Exactly, in the report the word was clearly mentioned but how the other word was defended was just out of this world.

Suarez discredited himself the moment he changed his recollection of events twice in the 24 hours following the match. Since then he's changed it a further eleventy billion times. No point listening to anything the (NOT SCUMBAG) says tbph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh god

• Advertisement

No he wouldn't.

The man is an emblem for everything that has been wrong about Manchester United in recent years.

An appalling player and a horrible man who thinks nothing of vicious cowardly tackles and cheap shots. Technically limited and more suited to Tony Pulis' Stoke or Jack Charlton's Ireland.

It's a disgrace for a club like ours to be in any way reliant on a player like him.

Incredible stuff. The guy is a complete joker. I wouldn't have him cleaning the jacks...genuinely.

If anyone ever wanted an example of the phrase "Complete and unmitigated overreaction" they could have a read of this post and it would clear everything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd be all for Fellaini's vicious tackles and cowardly cheap shots on Sunday.

Kick lumps out of them.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    If anyone ever wanted an example of the phrase "Complete and unmitigated overreaction" they could have a read of this post and it would clear everything up.

One can overreact to a single event.

But it's very difficult to overreact to a disastrous prolonged period with a club.

Based on cost versus contribution, Fellaini is the worst United signing I've ever seen. The man is a terrible football player. I accept that many United fans have this myopia where they don't slag their own but this guy is on another level.

A truly shocking signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

akelly02 wrote: »
    Seriously you must be in a civil partnership with Michael Carrick. Hes nowhere near good enough. Herrera and blind are better players. Hes finished, end of story.

Herrera and Carrick play entirely different roles, meanwhile Blind has been a mix of good and bad. It all depends on how Louis uses him, but Carrick is a very reliable and experienced player who is far better and calming things down to avoid the errors that cost us against Leicester, Swansea and West Brom. Still too early to start him against Chelsea and generally Blind may be the better option for home games against weaker teams, but this "not good enough" nonsense is way off.

In a world of supercars, Carrick is an Opel. Solid, likeable, professional but ultimately a club like Manchester United shouldn't be seen dead with him.

The midfield has been sh1te since Hargreaves broke down.

One can overreact to a single event.

But it's very difficult to overreact to a disastrous prolonged period with a club.

Based on cost versus contribution, Fellaini is the worst United signing I've ever seen. The man is a terrible football player. I accept that many United fans have this myopia where they don't slag their own but this guy is on another level.

A truly shocking signing.
    I agree for the most part, but to be fair he did more in 45 minutes against WBA than he did all of last season. I still would prefer a better player than him in the squad obviously, but with so much work still to be done in other areas in he can continue to replicate along those lines he could still be a useful player through the year. Especially since our depth behind ADM/Herrera is basically nonexistent.

In a world of supercars, Carrick is an Opel. Solid, likeable, professional but ultimately a club like Manchester United shouldn't be seen dead with him.

I always chuckle at how quickly people forget he was the best defensive midfielder in the league the year before last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So reminicent of the De Gea onslaught on here a couple of seasons ago.

adox wrote: »

There was some **** spouted about Dave yeah, a lot of people got too defensive over him too. Like, he did make mistakes. He still deserved to be slated for the mistakes even though people were expecting him to come good. The excuses that he never made mistakes were, at times, as cringey as the posts saying we should have him shot out the back of Old Trafford.

With Regards Larry and Fellaini.
    A prolonged period with the club? You mean what would add up to slightly over half a season of him being fit and at the club. His debut season being one that can be essentially summed up as an unmitigated disaster for all parties involved with United. Barring maybe one or two players. I get that you're all for instant gratification and your opinion is fickle and that but maybe you need to take a long hard look at your view on United and maybe like, have a **** or something. Release the tension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I see Costa has gone from being out Sunday to having a "small chance" back training today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd be happy with another Opel if he managed to win 5 premier league medals in 8 seasons.

adox wrote: »

De Gea - One of our greatest players.

Fellaini - A Championship player.

Zero similarities.

Whoever slagged off De Gea was 100% wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its getting very hard......

kryogen wrote: »
    Its getting very hard......

So find someone to stroke it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Zero similarities.

Incorrect he plays for Manchester United who are in the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

why not? carrick has been a great player for united. a lot of united fans never took to him as he took roy keanes number and straight away compared him to keane. he has been excellent for united

bangkok wrote: »
    why not? carrick has been a great player for united. a lot of united fans never took to him as he took roy keanes number and straight away compared him to keane. he has been excellent for united

He has not been excellent.

He has ranged from poor to adequate to (on occasion) very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Zero similarities.

Can you not spot something here? What ever it is, it is delicious.

Best tell that to the united players what with them voting him their POTY couple years back.

• Advertisement

couldnt agree with that, yes he had the odd poor game but more often than not he controlled midfield with ease. when united had ronaldo tevez berbatov rooney scholes all in their prime carrick was there in midfield, doing all the right things allowing all the above to play. you probably only noticed the ronaldo screamer from 30 yards but forgot it was carrick who won the ball in the first place to set up the move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Wow. Larry and Bangkok arguing. Not sure how I feel about this.

Wow. Larry and Bangkok arguing. Not sure how I feel about this.

will you ref, tell us who is making the better points? im sure i am winning so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Did you have to do that? Seriously now everyone is going to be at it and I'll have to smash my phone off my forehead at least once a day just to blank out the cosmic levels of irritation i'll experience.

Sorry I'll try harder :)

Daily updates with inane tactical possibilities from someone with no real experience.

Sure how could you not like it?

He was one of the first names on the team sheet through the most successful period in the clubs history, and arguably the most consistent period in the history of any English club.

Carricks biggest problem is that he is not Keane and he is not Scholes. He won't get near any all time XIs at the club and followed up the best midfield in the history of English football, one of the best in the history of the game. But both him and (pre illness) Fletcher were very, very good players.

One of the funniest criticisms of Carrick for me has been when people say he doesn't contribute enough defensively, it's usually a telling sign someone doesn't look far beyond sliding around the field in that regard. People love to talk about players who do the "dirty work" but it's also a massive help to have people who do the boring work like Hamann, Makelele, etc and Carrick has been performing that role admirably for us for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ain't been here in a while, same old folk still having a go.

Away jersey size large,never worn with tags. Bought it in the Club store ages ago.
    €40 plus postage if anyone here wants it. Drope a pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

dahat wrote: »

Away jersey size large,never worn with tags. Bought it in the Club store ages ago.
    €40 plus postage if anyone here wants it. Drope a pm.

What's the catch? Welbecks name still on the back? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

dahat wrote: »
    Tell me about it..

Anyway, I'd like to see Costa playing on Sunday as I like to see the best players playing, especially in the big games.

K4t wrote: »
    Tell me about it..

Anyway, I'd like to see Costa playing on Sunday as I like to see the best players playing, especially in the big games.

Fawk it, no Evans, Rooney and likely no Carrick (starting at least)... we can consider it an equaliser. ;)

Probably been mentioned already but Remy is also out if Costa doesn't make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

No he wouldn't.

You'd know :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lads as part of a package travel thing i am staying out at Bewley's airport hotel. Is their any decent bars around their can anybody tell me it's a bit away from the city center for having a quiet few in the nights.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement