Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

bangkok wrote: »
    im sure i am winning so far :)

If you weren't I would truly fear for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

For some reason I get more excited about these games as the ones we are favourites to win.

Love when nobody gives us a chance.

Result aside I expect a big performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Lads as part of a package travel thing i am staying out at Bewley's airport hotel. Is their any decent bars around their can anybody tell me it's a bit away from the city center for having a quiet few in the nights.

Not much out that way,a few pints in the hotel bar with other fans can turn into a session or you could get together with a few of them & take a cab into town.

We did that a couple of times & got the cabbies number so rang him directly to pick us up & drop us back at the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I'd be happy with a draw. My gut feelin is a two all draw with Falcao finally properly shining...(but maybe that's wishful thinkin!)

For some reason I get more excited about these games as the ones we are favourites to win.

A repeat of Falcao doing this would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Exactly this.

I expect Chelsea to win, they are a brilliant side, well balanced and full of excellent players.

We on the other hand are yet to find our identity and are struggling, so I'm expecting the better team to win here, but I want the United players to show some heart, and if we were to take anything from the game it would be a big bonus.

As much as I admire the bluntness of the idea that Manchester United should expect to win every game, for me we haven't looked like Manchester United since Sir Alex Ferguson left and while the signs of recovery are beginning to show under LVG, we're not there yet.

Costa will start. Jose's high pitched dismissal of the suggestion of him playing was as transparent as a pair of white gaelic shorts on a rainy day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think last year was a painful reality check in that regard but yeah, I generally agree and LVG seems to have a lot more Ferguson than Moyes about him. Really intriguing stuff now, our first "true" test of the year unless people include Everton. That said with Mourinho now having Chelsea up and running they are a proper scary prospect and away from home he does prefer to kill the game and make it drab as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

We need to play Falcao and RVP together on Sunday or else whichever one plays is just going to be isolated for large periods of the game against a superior Chelsea side. Two of the best strikers in world football for the last five years, it would be criminal not to play them together and make Chelsea worry about them, not LVG about which one to play.
    Falcao's hassling and harrying is refreshing and will unsettle Chelsea and RVP will obviously be up for an OT game against Chelsea so should shape up. Both are obviously lethal finishers too and we will create chances, plus they'll create their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Morning folks, long time lurker but brand new shiney member of the soccer forum.

Hoping for a good performance on Sunday, and although RVP hasn't been great the past few matches, think he needs to play along with Falcao. The Chelsea defence would swallow up a lone striker IMO.

I also think Herrera needs to play, he had a poor game against West Brom, but his work rate will be key. I was surprised to see someone say he had been poor so far, I would say he has been one of our stand out performers.

Anyway here's hoping for 3 points on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

BloodBath wrote: »

We look 10 times better than we did last season already and it's early days.

Results suggest otherwise. We have one point more, from a much easier fixture list, with £100m plus spend.in fact, we picked up 21 points from corresponding 8 games last season (replacing like for like with promoted v relegated teams).

LVG doesnt deserve much credit so far, but its early days.if you look back throughtout earlier threads, people expected us to have at least 20 points on the board by now and if ud said wed be 10 off Chelsea going into that game, youd have been lashed out of it. The season has been underwhelming so far, so your 10 times better point couldnt be more incorrect, all things considered - ie better players, but worse results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Chelsea performing fantastically is not exactly our problem though is it.

We were never going to compete with them this year.

Top 4 is the target and I'm confident we will be there. If Suarez was still at Liverpool I might not be so confident but their loss is our gain.

Considering Moyes pretty much played Fergie's team with a similar formation and tactics I don't think there was as much of a change last year as there is this year.

Also factoring in the defensive problems we have had so far this season with injuries. Sure we should have bought a top defensive mid and center back but he obviously couldn't get who he wanted in time. It's a work in progress.

We look like Manchester United again in attack. The defense I am sure will be sorted asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Adamocovic wrote: »
    What's the catch? Welbecks name still on the back? :pac:

No catch and no name on the back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

We will win tomorrow.

Falcao to shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Morning folks, long time lurker but brand new shiney member of the soccer forum.

Hoping for a good performance on Sunday, and although RVP hasn't been great the past few matches, think he needs to play along with Falcao. The Chelsea defence would swallow up a lone striker IMO.

I also think Herrera needs to play, he had a poor game against West Brom, but his work rate will be key. I was surprised to see someone say he had been poor so far, I would say he has been one of our stand out performers.

I'm always sceptical, but welcome all the same.

We will win tomorrow.

Falcao to shine.

Like a vampire in the sunlight? Could see him making hay alright. All depends on the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Was the last time Falcao played Chelsea that super cup game? He tore them apart that night.

Welcome! Here's hoping falcao runs rings around terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Was the last time Falcao played Chelsea that super cup game? He tore them apart that night.

Of the defensive 7 that played that night, only 2 will remain the same and its a better manager and system.

Cech
    Ivanovic Cahill Luiz Cole
    Mikel Lampard

That night, while great for Atletico and Falcao, wont be repeated anytime soon......i bloody hope anyway :o:p

I'm always sceptical, but welcome all the same.

Sceptical of what exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Interesting interview with Nani on football focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He'll be sceptical that you're a rereg of a troll/lunatic, but it's not anything you've done. There has been a regular flow of them through this thread, constantly changing their accounts but posting the same nonsense (they usually start off sensible before going nuts). You're probbly a genuine poster, and if so everybody will be happy to have a new fan with new opinions.

Pro. F wrote: »
    He'll be sceptical that you're a rereg of a troll/lunatic, but it's not anything you've done. There has been a regular flow of them through this thread, constantly changing their accounts but posting the same nonsense (they usually start off sensible before going nuts). You're probbly a genuine poster, and if so everybody will be happy to have a new fan with new opinions.

No not a re-reg, I genuinely have lurked for many years without ever registering for boards, just decided one night a few months back that i may as well. Trying to get my post count over 50 to apply for forum access took a while because I only ever read the many versions of this thread over the years.

Anyways, back to the matter at hand. Falcao really excites me, to the point that for the first time ever I would consider getting a player other than Cantons on the back of a shirt. Really hope he can shine for us like he has for his previous clubs. Don't get me wrong, Di Maria is a great player and is exciting to watch, and has had a massive impact on the team already, and you could argue is a more important player than Falcao, but Falcao has got me really excited about what he could do.

I was like a giddy child on transfer deadline day, and I am old enough to know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

adox wrote: »
    Interesting interview with Nani on football focus.

What did it cover?

Pro. F wrote: »

Nonsense in your view, ProF.

One of the problems with this thread is that people whose views are different get branded "trolls".

I have never deliberately posted something that I don't believe with a view to inciting trouble. I genuinely believe (for example) that Fellaini is an appalling player.

Being a contributor to this thread shouldn't be about believing that everything in the garden is rosy. It should be about challenging our club to be where it should be - The top.

I want to see Manchester United retain the Champions League title. I want to see us lift our sixth European Cup and wave at our pals 26 miles down the road. People like Fellaini, Moyes, Anderson, etc get in the way of that, and therefore get my ire.

Demanding the best is not trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Why can't our Valencia be like West Ham's Valencia? :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Just because you have an opinion dosen make it right, or logical, or sane

Pro. F answered it perfectly. Hope you are genuine, good for the thread if you are.

Just because you have an opinion dosen make it right, or logical, or sane

And just because your opinion differs from the majority within a small anonymous population, it doesn't make it wrong, illogical or insane.

Take the view that Van Gaal is a spoofer who is ruining the club. There are those who believe that he is the Messiah. There are those who say "give him time". Who's right? The only truly objective measure is results which have been diabolical and worse than under Moyes (with an easier start).

My own view is to give Van Gaal some time but I'm concerned at results and the lack of attention paid to certain areas.

Put it this way, I reckon those who claim Van Gaal is a spoofer who should be turfed out are on more solid ground than those who claim he's the Messiah.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Why can't our Valencia be like West Ham's Valencia? :-(

He has been awesome again today

And just because your opinion differs from the majority within a small anonymous population, it doesn't make it wrong, illogical or insane.
    This I can agree with for sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He has been awesome again today

I said in the Summer transfer thread he would be a great signing for them and got shot down...

Alex Song has been class today too, no doubt he would have been a welcome addition for a season loan.

Big Sam and Fergie are good mates right? Maybe if we ask nicely enough he'll let us borrow Valencia for a game or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

The Man City defeat leaves it even more important to really go for it against Chelsea tomorrow.A win would see us looking far more like a top 4 side come the end of the season.Does it look like Di Maria will be fit?....can see Mourinho go defensive as with City result they don't 'have to' win tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The Man City defeat leaves it even more important to really go for it against Chelsea tomorrow.A win would see us looking far more like a top 4 side come the end of the season.Does it look like Di Maria will be fit?....can see Mourinho go defensive as with City result they don't 'have to' win tomorrow.

We-ll be going for a win. 3 pts makes our gap pretty big after only 9 games.

I said in the Summer transfer thread he would be a great signing for them and got shot down...

Alex Song has been class today too, no doubt he would have been a welcome addition for a season loan.

I suggested that we sign him during the summer and was lampooned for it.

West Brom played against United as if their lives depended on it & now 2-0 down to Palace.Typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

One of the problems with this thread is that people whose views are different get branded "trolls"

lol, yeah, THATS why everyone is suspicious of new accounts.

Come off it, this thread has constantly had pathetic posters with no intention but to spread some bull**** argument over 5 or 6 pages for attention. Going back years.

I'm not accusing you directly, but to act as if there is some witch-hunt with no reasoning is beyond delusional.

This new poster gets a fair chance, as all should, but far too many times the same characters pop their head up and wreck the thread. There are even some who pretend to have insider information on players we are going to sign from a mate who works in finance, would you believe that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

One of the problems with this thread is that people whose views are different get branded "trolls".

I have never deliberately posted something that I don't believe with a view to inciting trouble. I genuinely believe (for example) that Fellaini is an appalling player.

Being a contributor to this thread shouldn't be about believing that everything in the garden is rosy. It should be about challenging our club to be where it should be - The top.

I want to see Manchester United retain the Champions League title. I want to see us lift our sixth European Cup and wave at our pals 26 miles down the road. People like Fellaini, Moyes, Anderson, etc get in the way of that, and therefore get my ire.

Demanding the best is not trolling.

There are plenty of posters who express unpopular opinions in this thread and don't get viewed as trolls. In fact the thread is full of diverse opinions, criticisms of the club and heated arguments, but all those posters are still viewed as genuine when they behave that way. There is also a steady stream of trolls/reregs who do crazy shït and then get banned. It's easy to express unpopular opinions while not being viewed as a twat - don't act like a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Must just an age thing lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

At least City and Pool dropped points

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That's it, even if we lose tomorrow we are still right up there with who the challenge will be with and the excuse of the easy start is gone when you weigh up the teams played after tomorrow.

We had a chance to go ahead of them on Monday and made a balls of it,sure all we need do now is beat Chelsea tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We dont need the Hammers Valencia we have plenty of quality ourselfs.

Really cant wait for it tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What the hell is going on with this league? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Anyone been watching Dortmund lately? I've watched a fair few of their games this season and Kagawa has been reallly poor, they are in dire form and Bayern are already out of sight. I reckon it's the last season Hummels, Reus and maybe one or two others are there, Ginter or Subotic in Jan would be nice also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What the hell is going on with this league? :eek:

Its crazy this season. The most bizarre season I can recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Montroseee wrote: »
    Anyone been watching Dortmund lately? I've watched a fair few of their games this season and Kagawa has been reallly poor, they are in dire form and Bayern are already out of sight. I reckon it's the last season Hummels, Reus and maybe one or two others are there, Ginter or Subotic in Jan would be nice also.

Really strange what's happening with them. No problems in the Champions League with 3 wins out of 3 but they've only got 7 points from 27 in the Bundesliga.

I agree that the rest of their stars will leave in January or next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

J. Marston wrote: »
    Really strange what's happening with them. No problems in the Champions League with 3 wins out of 3 but they've only got 7 points from 27 in the Bundesliga.

I agree that the rest of their stars will leave in January or next summer.
    It's a shame to see a good Dortmund side being ripped apart but they will always replace them with their youth system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This is shaping up to be a very strange season indeed. It's still early days but do Southampton have a shout for top 4? You could argue that the only top teams they've played are Liverpool and Tottenham but Chelsea seem like the only team that can't be beaten at the minute.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    This is shaping up to be a very strange season indeed. It's still early days but do Southampton have a shout for top 4? You could argue that the only top teams they've played are Liverpool and Tottenham but Chelsea seem like the only team that can't be beaten at the minute.

Until tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement