Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

beno619 wrote: »
    Yesterday was his beat performance of the season. Still he's playing far below his level again I think hell be cut slack because he got the goal in the end.

I don't believe he's contributing enough though he probably did more than Drogba yesterday.

He is getting sharper each game, I agree with you. I just think we are unlikely to see him again in the form of 2012 and maybe that will be used as a stick to beat him with, he will suffer the consequences of being ridiculously good that year and be held to that standard. From what I see he is doing a good job for the team right now even if he is not lighting up the league with individual brilliance week in week out, he had a disaster of a season last season with injury and then the world cup, he is still find his form again.

He is getting fitter and sharper each game, I have no doubt he will hit a purple patch sooner rather then later as the whole team continues to improve.

Any news on Falcao actually? Would be great to have him back for the City game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

kryogen wrote: »
    Any news on Falcao actually? Would be great to have him back for the City game

Falcao has a bruised shin apparently, probably won't be out for too long.

Falcao has a bruised shin apparently, probably won't be out for too long.

I won't even ask about Phil "The Glass Man" Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

beno619 wrote: »
    Yesterday was his beat performance of the season. Still he's playing far below his level again I think hell be cut slack because he got the goal in the end.

I don't believe he's contributing enough though he probably did more than Drogba yesterday.

Drogba is 36 and a third choice striker soooo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I won't even ask about Phil "The Glass Man" Jones

Shin splints

That's a toughie for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bring on City!!

Rooney back is massive lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Rooney has to start against City in my opinion. Badly missed in big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Overhead kick from Rooney again and all is forgiven, Michael Carrick in the Michael Owen role of scoring an injury time winner wouldn't go amiss neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Hi. I'm a long time reader of this thread but this is my first posting here!

My tuppence is that a certain amount of confidence is coming back into the play and the new signings are clearly beginning to bed in so the performances are slowly getting better. There is plenty of work still to be done and I'm sure there will be setbacks from time to time but a lot of money has been spent, and, together with a decent January/next summer windows, (addressing the obvious positions we need strengthening in), i think it's a minimum from VG to expect that we should start next season as one of the favourites for the major competitions again. Top 4 is odds on on this season, the ability to focus on the league games and getting a purple spell from Falcao and RVP will mean we will easily squeeze out Liverpool and push Arsenal for 3rd. I think the top two are already nailed on.

No-one should underestimate how confidence took a knock during the Moyes reign and it takes time to banish the general negativity that surrounded that time.

While results/points might not appear much better than this time last season, clearly the intensity is coming back and there is a fluid gameplay, not the confusion of last year. This time last season the Chelsea game would have finished 1-0, the belief was not there to chase down teams and get a late equaliser. Several times the team accepted the result 10-15 minutes out and that, for me , was the hardest part. I don't see that anymore thankfully.

In terms of players, its still short in certain areas: I think Mata needs to do more. His stats are strong on paper but if he is to be credited for his performances for Chelsea in the past, then equally he has to be judged now at that high level and he is not influencing and dictating games like he did in those seasons. We need more from RVP too but I genuinely think he is getting sharper and last season and the WC certainly slowed him down a bit, but he is still a fantastic player and very committed its obvious to MU. I'm not as worried about him.

Nothing too controversial there I suppose but I have to start somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Thought Mata played well for the time he was on, clearly worked hard and emptied himself...he laid on a sweet disguised pass early on which if it finished in the net we would not be having this conversation, cant remember who took the shot. Mata does a lot of good work receiving and moving the ball in attacking areas, it can't be all goals and assists. They were a lot more ineffective players on the pitch than him.

Delighted Fellaini is proving so many wrong, he was a real force yesterday. Really like the guy and we need his physicality.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned anywhere is RVP for the drogba goal...without his touch the ball goes straight to DDG...IMO RVP is in no mans land...not attacking the ball and in the keepers way...his normal position for corners is further out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Welcome to the forum Rob. Good first post.

Agree 100% on all of it.
    ericzeking wrote: »

One thing I haven't heard mentioned anywhere is RVP for the drogba goal...without his touch the ball goes straight to DDG...IMO RVP is in no mans land...not attacking the ball and in the keepers way...his normal position for corners is further out.

Not really his fault though. It's pretty standard to have players on the posts. I doubt De Gea was going to get to that regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Had this argument with a mate yesterday, there wasn't much RvP could do. He didn't have the best starting position for defending the near post but it would be incredibly harsh to be slinging the blame his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

From what I remember from the last two years Raf was always on the near post for corners and RVP was in the position that Raf took up against Drogba. RVP's clearing headers from that position just advanced of the near post were a staple of the last two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

would ye go for a sneaky low bid for Vidic in January?

i know its not going to happen, but its something that came up in prematch discussions yesterday.

wouldnt be a bad short term solution, especially if Moyes got the Inter job :p

I think you didn't check how he is doing for Inter. At least his start was awful and he was dropped from their last serie A game.

Also if we are planning to play high line then Vidic is not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

How stupid would that make the club look in fairness?!

Non runner

Not stupid at all. Vidic left because of Moyes.

Do Chelsea look stupid for bringing back Drogba?
    Teddy Sheringham went back to Spurs.

And theres many other examples of players returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

bedrock#1 wrote: »
    From what I remember from the last two years Raf was always on the near post for corners and RVP was in the position that Raf took up against Drogba. RVP's clearing headers from that position just advanced of the near post were a staple of the last two seasons.

Exactly and yesterday he was not in that position,ahead of the near post, outside the 6 yard box....he wasn't on the post...he wasn't doing anything except obstructing the keeper and diverting the ball away from him.
    Anyway, that goal was a catalogue of defensive errors, and I wouldn't blame any one player solely, it was just something I thought was worth mentioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

so with another big game coming up can we get a result against City?

Dare I say get 3 points?

With Rooney, Falcao and Herrera to come back I think we can feel we least have some chance.

Will Fellaini be picked to keep Silva quiet I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

We're lacking leadership at the back to organise that defence. Someone needs to stand up and take control of the situation.

It is madness that the biggest aerial threat was marked by one of the smallest guys on the pitch.

I'm sure Van Gaal and the coaches will highlight these errors and the team will learn from them.

I think we will struggle against City. We're losing the home advantage and Aguero will have fun with our defence.

I doubt Fellaini is the man to mark Silva either. Fabregas isn't as mobile as he is so it was an easier task for the big man. Stick him on Toure instead and let the faster guys worry about Silva.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not stupid at all. Vidic left because of Moyes.

Do Chelsea look stupid for bringing back Drogba?
    Teddy Sheringham went back to Spurs.

And theres many other examples of players returning.

I don't see why we would go back for him and look for another short term fix tbh (and that's ignoring his recent form for Inter and the fact he wasn't exactly a stable base last season).

We should be going for a top level striker, not a cheap one based on form from 2 years ago...

EDIT: *Defender. Not striker...typo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

so with another big game coming up can we get a result against City?

Dare I say get 3 points?

With Rooney, Falcao and Herrera to come back I think we can feel we least have some chance.

Will Fellaini be picked to keep Silva quiet I wonder?

Yes is my answer to your three questions.

City have lost the same number of games as we have and it could be argued that United are improving.
    For example, before the West Brom game we hadn't scored after the 63rd minute. Now we are doing it and rather late at that.
    Now it is time to start winning away, at the Etihad would be a good place to start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

We havent got an away win in months, lets not get too ahead of ourselves here. First game aside we've looked very good at home, away we've struggled and badly. A point would be a hell of a result. Dont think we've it in us yet, we're definitely improving but it's very hard to go there and get anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We owe City a beating.Feck it,I'd take a 1-0 win for us on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

zerks wrote: »

I think everyone one of us in here would take that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

chelsea would love that too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Welcome to forum Rob Thomas and as you said while not controversial your first post made plenty of sense;).

Regarding the poor efforts defensively for corner we conceded at Rafael was meant to mark Drogba for that one and reacted v slowly altogether when it was taken.
    LVG should have had RVP who is taller and a better header of ball on the likes of Drogba or Matic and the smaller Rafael on post.
    Like in the old days,Fergie always had Paul Parker and Irwin on posts as they weren't the tallest.

PS- as an irregular poster myself Rob Thomas you may find on this forum if you disagree with a chosen few regular posters views its not appreciated;)
    .....and don't worry lads all the non regular posters feel the same:)....but might be afraid to say it!

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    chelsea would love that too. :)

QPR to shock the world and beat ye.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

You should be working for Sky with an insight like that!

Welcome to forum Rob Thomas and as you said while not controversial your first post made plenty of sense;).

Regarding the poor efforts defensively for corner we conceded at Rafael was meant to mark Drogba for that one and reacted v slowly altogether when it was taken.
    LVG should have had RVP who is taller and a better header of ball on the likes of Drogba or Matic and the smaller Rafael on post.
    Like in the old days,Fergie always had Paul Parker and Irwin on posts as they weren't the tallest.

PS- as an irregular poster myself Rob Thomas you may find on this forum if you disagree with a chosen few regular posters views its not appreciated;)
    .....and don't worry lads all the non regular posters feel the same:)....but might be afraid to say it!

article-2808769-2297B08C00000578-546_636x583.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Or, perhaps just don't post stupid stuff.

The big difference between the City game and the Chelsea game will be that City have a couple of forwards that will make sh*te of that defence if they're not on top of their game. We were lucky that Chelsea's attack was somewhat blunted in Costa's absence.
    I'm dreading what Agüero may do...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Great header. If robin dd that, we would e jizzing our pants

Rob Thomas, welcome.

ps - You are an amazing singer

To be fair Zerks all those stills illustrate is how badly Rafael reacted to the movements of a 36 yr old striker!

To be fair Zerks all those stills illustrate is how badly Rafael reacted to the movements of a 36 yr old striker!

RVP was badly positioned & Terry also ended up free in the area.Rafael had no business marking Drogba there who has done this kind of thing for years.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    You should be working for Sky with an insight like that!

Just need a silver suit with super tight pants.:pac::pac:

as a sign that passing stats for an individual player can at times be the most useless stat around, Rojo had the most passes of any player yesterday (71) and Smalling completed the most (62).

what it does show tho, is that Chelsea sat back, put 10 men behind the ball and left us have it in our own half, then picked us off in the counter attack.

Chelsea also won 2/3 of the aerial battles and we played into their hands by lumping it forward long almost 70 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mata has played the exact same in every game for United imo, the fact is he gets not too far off 100% pass accuracy every game and is consistently in the most passers of the ball, we know Mata is well capable of all kinds of defence splitting balls but he's not doing them at all at times or nearly enough

When you look at all that I think it's a system problem rather than a Mata one, I can't see Ozil, Silva or Gotze doing more in our team when our system is still in it's infancy.

We have had a very poor style of play the past 3 or 4 seasons, yes we won a league title in one of those seasons but we weren't looking to the future at all

In summary I think we will get the same Mata until the system starts to really work, sadly by that time Mata could be on his way out of the club because I think Rooney will go back in when he's fit.

RVP was badly positioned & Terry also ended up free in the area.Rafael had no business marking Drogba there who has done this kind of thing for years.

Agree Zerks,that basically what I said in my original post,a lot of people love Rafael but to me he can be a headless chicken at times,both attacking and defending,he put in an excellent cross for Wilsons headed chance yday,but apart from that he did little else in the other 93 mins of game!
    Big problem in the defence this season is that no one is calling the shots on corners and free kicks like we had in previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

To be fair, it also illustrates how basically everyone except Shaw appeared to fall asleep with Smalling looking particularly caught offguard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Advertisement

rooney apparently is injured and a doubt for Sunday.

what the f*ck is happening behind the scenes in our training? our players are made of glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We need Rooney big time next Sunday
    glued wrote: »
    Mata does work hard. You've just bitten off and chewed the typical Sky Sports-Mourinho fed rhetoric.

If Van Persie had put away that chance away Mata laid off for him a lot of people would be creaming about him, and the over critical wouldn't be hopping of the keyboard as much

Trilla wrote: »
    We need Rooney big time next Sunday

If Van Persie had put away that chance away Mata laid off for him a lot of people would be creaming about him, and the over critical wouldn't be hopping of the keyboard as much

And the disguised chip to Di Maria, don't think there was anybody else on the pitch that could have pulled that off so perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

And the disguised chip to Di Maria, don't think there was anybody else on the pitch that could have pulled that off so perfectly.

Di Maria probably could have, but then who'd he have passed it to? :pac:

Ron Vlaar badly exposed for both QPR goals tonight.....not the type of performance a potential signing should be giving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Di Maria probably could have, but then who'd he have passed it to? :pac:

Fellaini, obviously :p

Trilla wrote: »
    Fellaini, obviously :p

Sure Fellaini would be out cleaning the jacks.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Sure Fellaini would be out cleaning the jacks.

I thought he wouldn't even be doing that? Worst signing eva 4 real

I thought he wouldn't even be doing that? Worst signing eva 4 real

Wait, no. Its Mata now.

Hope ur ok hun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

One player I really wished we signed in the summer is Alexis Sanchez , I'd say we were in for him aswell but he wanted a London club , he would very much be a Lvg type player too , can you imagine him and di Maria on either side in a 433 , is there any other right sided player we could go for as good scores as many goals and is available , robben is probably even better but he's too old now and settled at bayern , perhaps cuadrado ?
    I'd say mata is def gone in the summer , Rooney will be our number 10 and Januzai his understudy , I reckon a move for Vidal or more likely strootman is most def on the cards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement