Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Good chance of putting one over them on Sunday - they aren't playing well, probably lack a bit of confidence too. Minding Aguero properly will be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Any update on the injury list lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yaya has been poor all season.
    Silva went off injured last night.
    Mangala has had a dodgy start .

I for the first time in years am confident of beating City.

Yaya has bullied us before i think Fellaini will put it up to him
    Silva looks a doubt he is the main creator.
    While they have Aguero who can rip us in half we now have Di Maria who could rip them in half.

Sunday is the first time we looked to be starting to gel and i think we can beat an under performing City especially if Falcao and Rooney are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

City have been in relatively poor form this season - and some of their top players are not performing or might be out... but confidence in beating them? HA!

United have an irritating record of not turning up for games vs City, and City showing more hunger and desire. I fear no difference this time around. The game on Sunday is just gonna be the day these City players do turn up.

Aguero vs Rojo... ugh. Blind vs Toure... ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Couldn't beat West Brom only 10 days ago, I don't know how people are so confident of going to the Etihad and doing City. It's not impossible, but I certainly wouldn't be confident.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Any update on the injury list lads?

Rooney apparently trained normally yesterday so likely to be back. Not heard anything on Falcao but LVG did say last week it wasn't a bad injury, Chelsea just too soon - so I would expect him to be available.

No update that I know of on Jones, but would expect he is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

City have been in relatively poor form this season - and some of their top players are not performing or might be out... but confidence in beating them? HA!

United have an irritating record of not turning up for games vs City, and City showing more hunger and desire. I fear no difference this time around. The game on Sunday is just gonna be the day these City players do turn up.

Aguero vs Rojo... ugh. Blind vs Toure... ugh.

Rojo might actually cope better with Aguero than we think,Rojo's main problem has been defending high direct balls (in fairness,we've struggled with that for the past few seasons).
    Yaya vs Blind is better than Yaya vs Cleverley.

Moyes had the team playing with fear & an emphasis on containment rather than playing our own game.Gradually LVG has gotten rid of this plus we have more talented players this season.City were able to play through us at will due to Carrick's instructions being to sit back so deep he was almost a CB meanwhile the likes of Cleverley were either in hiding on the field or so far detached from linking with Carrick that there was a gaping chasm in the middle of the field.
    We also had almost zero attacking threat due to nobody playing the link role in midfield or wingers who were so innefective that we may as well have had mannequins playing there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not getting spanked by Chelsea has me a bit more confident, even if I worry thats a damning sight of where we are as a fanbase right now. But I was so sure Chelsea were going to kill us, that I'm not half as scared now, given I think Chelsea are a better team playing better football and we got a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Couldn't beat West Brom only 10 days ago, I don't know how people are so confident of going to the Etihad and doing City. It's not impossible, but I certainly wouldn't be confident.

exactly. with our defence and Citys quality, they are big favourites.

id take a draw. of course a win is possible, but it would take a performance that we have not seen for 18 months from United and thats a long way off i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A huge factor in yere game is we play QPR on Saturday so we could be 9 points clear of City, its a serious situation that City wont want to finish Sunday any further than 6 points off us, thats if we win on Saturday though, lots of ifs and buts, I'm sure Pelligrini will want to match or better our result if we fail to win.

I'd rather a Utd victory and keep City 9pts and Utd 10pts off us respectively but I think City cant afford to many more slip ups and dropped points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hopefully Chelsea get a win Saturday and put serious pressure on City to get the win, I think it will benefit us that way

Barely anyone expects us to get something, they have Aguero, possibly Silva and Yaya will without a doubt turn up for this game, we need RVP, Rooney, Falcao and Di Maria to all have great games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hopefully Chelsea get a win Saturday and put serious pressure on City to get the win, I think it will benefit us that way

Barely anyone expects us to get something, they have Aguero, possibly Silva and Yaya will without a doubt turn up for this game, we need RVP, Rooney, Falcao and Di Maria to all have great games

If ye play like ye did last weekend and City turn up in their recent form ye'll get something from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If we can get something from this game, then 2 points from the games many not only felt we would lose, but be badly beaten in will be a good result.

Nothing to write home about mind, but then we are not in the race for the league this year, it's all about staying in the race for the CL spots until such time as the team gels. I think our team will get markedly better as the season goes on while I feel that the teams around us (Pool, Arsenal, Swansea etc) will not get any better and possibly fall away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Jaysus, city have lost their last 3 games. We are playing them at the perfect time. Hopefully the team play like they did against Chelsea.

I have no worries that they will be fired up for it. Hopefully the luck goes with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Chelsea's result is the tiniest of factors really. Won't both teams want to win anyway? How many extra percents will Chelsea's result make City want to beat United or vice versa? I reckon 0 or close to it.

Calling it a huge factor is lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If Chelsea win it will add more pressure to City to get the result, but I agree that it won't actually make them "want" to beat us any more then usual, same as it would if it were the other way around.

I would like a Chelsea win, as much pressure as possible off us and on to them please and thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

How's Falcao getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/PPOffers/status/527761326853337088

https://twitter.com/PPOffers/status/527476923816235009

Interesting United was the 2nd most gambled on team to win the league.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    How's Falcao getting on?

He's not too bad now, the dose of the scutters has passed by the looks of it. I have promised not to make him any more dishes including Oysters I bought from the man in the van

Should be fine for Sunday

• Advertisement

How's Falcao getting on?

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

How's Falcao getting on?

Should be fit and United to buy him for £44 million.

RobertKK wrote: »

The fact that Liverpool were the 3rd shows you how dumb the general punter is you know. I wish I had opened that bookies :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good news is got ticket for game

Bad news is flights are crazy.

Might do bit of sailing .

Great news on Rooney if true. I'm confident we will get result draw most likely if he and Falcao are ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Suppose it depends on what odds were for city and chelsea. Other 3 had no chance imo

Good news is got ticket for game

Bad news is flights are crazy.

Might do bit of sailing .

Great news on Rooney if true. I'm confident we will get result draw most likely if he and Falcao are ready.

I've a row boat with an outboard, pm if interested :D

kryogen wrote: »
    The fact that Liverpool were the 3rd shows you how dumb the general punter is you know. I wish I had opened that bookies :(

Liverpool are the best team in the world, saurez didn't carry them last year, no sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

RobertKK wrote: »
    Should be fit and United to buy him for £44 million.

Everyone said Fergie was mad to spend £24M on a 29 yr old Van Persie. £44m on a 28 yr old Falcao would be lunacy.

If you opening a bookies do it right.

Don't do a Ivan Yates on it.

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Everyone said Fergie was mad to spend £24M on a 29 yr old Van Persie. £44m on a 28 yr old Falcao would be lunacy.

From a value or affordability point of view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It was more because RvP only had one year left on his contract than his age i think.

The bookies part was working fine i thought. Thought it was rent or non day to day stuff that got him.

The bookies part was working fine i thought. Thought it was rent or non day to day stuff that got him.

Not really. He was making a lose in certain shops like Mallow in Co Cork which was goldmine for inside info around that area for while.

He ran all the shops by himself so if a employee was ringing about a large bet they were going straight to Ivan's number. He did try change it but by then it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

From a value or affordability point of view?

Utd could afford but he's 28 and should be just reaching his peak now. That will last 2 years about. Downhill after that and the chances of his knee going again rises. £44m could get us a proper CB pairing or a CB and a CM.

Utd could afford but he's 28 and should be just reaching his peak now. That will last 2 years about. Downhill after that and the chances of his knee going again rises. £44m could get us a proper CB pairing or a CB and a CM.

44M would get you a possible CB pairing. For that money on two players you are taking a shot at a player, even moreso for CM, top tier players would cost another whack on top of that.

• Advertisement

Liverpool are the best team in the world, saurez didn't carry them last year, no sir.

Its down to fanbase really, United and Liverpool have massive ones over here obviously so I am sure that translates very well for bookies when taking in season bets.

Liverpool are quite often under priced (and United) too in the win/draw/win market due to the high number of people who will be backing them also.

All joking aside, Sturridge was a huge player for them in the run in and when they get him back I expect them to improve but not to the point of a title challenge, blew the big chance last season.

It wasn't local, I would have had to move to the other side of the country basically, just wasn't viable in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Not really. He was making a lose in certain shops like Mallow in Co Cork which was goldmine for inside info around that area for while.

He ran all the shops by himself so if a employee was ringing about a large bet they were going straight to Ivan's number. He did try change it but by then it was too late.
    Cute hoors in Mallow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I wouldn't expect Falcao to start v City even if he is fit. Think it will be the same team again with Rooney in for Mata and possibly Jones in for Smalling if he's recovered (unlikely I'd say). Although I think Smalling did really well on Sunday and maybe deserves to retain his place regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Glanced at last few pages and see discussion going on about whether fitness been ok we should buy Falcao outright at end of season.....
    For a start unless he gets the finger out big time RVP needs to be shipped out but getting a decent fee for him could be very tricky...he has lost that bit of pace that created a lot of the chances he took well in his first season.

Im going to throw an alternative name to Falcao into the mix,not because I don't rate Falcao but because he will be seriously expensive and only have maybe two more yrs at the top...and still have a dodgy knee.
    Graziano Pelle- has adapted well to Premiership,has great quick feet and scores all sorts of goals as evidenced in last nights Cup game.
    Tbh I'm not sure what age he is but he would be a hell of a lot cheaper than Falcao and injury doubt free.
    Ps- if Falcao scores 15 goals between now and end of season disregard my post;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Blatter wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect Falcao to start v City even if he is fit. Think it will be the same team again with Rooney in for Mata and possibly Jones in for Smalling if he's recovered (unlikely I'd say). Although I think Smalling did really well on Sunday and maybe deserves to retain his place regardless.

What formation did the team play last weekend? Was it 4-3-1-2? And if so who was playing up front with RVP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Glanced at last few pages and see discussion going on about whether fitness been ok we should buy Falcao outright at end of season.....
    For a start unless he gets the finger out big time RVP needs to be shipped out but getting a decent fee for him could be very tricky...he has lost that bit of pace that created a lot of the chances he took well in his first season.

Im going to throw an alternative name to Falcao into the mix,not because I don't rate Falcao but because he will be seriously expensive and only have maybe two more yrs at the top...and still have a dodgy knee.
    Graziano Pelle- has adapted well to Premiership,has great quick feet and scores all sorts of goals as evidenced in last nights Cup game.
    Tbh I'm not sure what age he is but he would be a hell of a lot cheaper than Falcao and injury doubt free.

Pelle is older than Falcao. And Southampton players don't come cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pelle over falcao?! is this a joke? falcao is one of the best strikers in the world, don't be surprised to see him start and score against city this weekend. Pelle was a nobody last year, id say most people never even heard of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What formation did the team play last weekend? Was it 4-3-1-2? And if so who was playing up front with RVP?

It was a 4-3-3. RvP up front, Januzaj and Di Maria on the wings and Mata as the adavanced midfielder with Blind and Fellaini in behind. Although Fellaini often joined Mata in the final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't think Januzaj should be starting this one, but LVG may stick with the same as the Chelsea game with Rooney in for Mata

.......Blind......
    Ander Fellaini
    .....Di Maria....
    ...RVP...Rooney...

Would be my front 6, if it wasn't working it would only take one substitute to change it, fullbacks need to get up and down the line for it to work, Yaya and Fernando would have to work hard against that 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

bangkok wrote: »
    Pelle was a nobody last year, id say most people never even heard of him

Not comparing him to Falcao but this is a stupid sentence. Pelle wasn't a nobody, he has 50 goals in about as many games for Feyonoord. Wouldnt suprise me if he continued to outscore Falcao this season either. I think it was a fair comment as a reasonable alternative, Falcao has yet to show his pre injury form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Lukker- wrote: »
    Falcao has yet to show his pre injury form.

Fair point, but lets face it. If Falcao gets back to even 90% of the form he had pre-injury then the only striker better than him in the league is Aguero, Costa on form is amazing too.

He had looked sharper against Everton and when the goal went in finally I thought this was it, he is going to explode soon. The IB was really bad timing for United, even if he scored whilst on duty. Cannot wait to see if he plays this weekend and if his return to form continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lukker- wrote: »
    Not comparing him to Falcao but this is a stupid sentence. Pelle wasn't a nobody, he has 50 goals in about as many games for Feyonoord. Wouldnt suprise me if he continued to outscore Falcao this season either. I think it was a fair comment as a reasonable alternative, Falcao has yet to show his pre injury form.

dutch league?! he only has 1 Italian cap and that was only got recently. Give falcao 3 or 4 full games and it wont be long before he is banging in the goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

10659117_710387912384939_5487438401731760673_o.jpg?oh=489f7dcd7bc611d2bb451a51f5ea5529&oe=545412E7&__gda__=1414783537_fd9b9745f74f9817af0396ae4e1af085

That's so cheesey

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement