Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Zico wrote: »
    What could possibly go wrong when the name of a visitor attraction changes name every few years?

At least now there's less chance of people buying tickets for the O2 in London by mistake. :o

Think its called the 3 arena in london too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The O2 is now the 3Arena.

Meow that's what I call music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

It'll always be the Point to me.

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

irishfeen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/telefootball/status/519787257545641984

What a fcuking legend The Frenchman was...

Old news isn't it? Something to do with a pool they had going that he won or something, dunno about the details anymore but deffo remember hearing something like that before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sorry mods for causing it.

Was meant as harmless but can see why it was stupid.

Logged out straight after so missed all the fun.

I'm a **** end of :).

I'll keep it on track.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Anyone going to the Chamber of Commerce dinner tomorrow night?

Fergie speaking at it.

Expect a Keane related retort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Anyone going to the Chamber of Commerce dinner tomorrow night?

Fergie speaking at it.

Expect a Keane related retort.

Would love to go but its 150 a ticket or something crazy like that?

Would love to go but its 150 a ticket or something crazy like that?

€190 or €2,280 for a table of 12 (which is the same!). 1,700 going apparently. I'm looking forward to it. Bizarrely it's the same day as Keane's official book launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    Old news isn't it? Something to do with a pool they had going that he won or something, dunno about the details anymore but deffo remember hearing something like that before

They lost the pool - but the younger lads had been given the option of putting their money in. Some of them said no (they were on little money, comparitively and didn't feel they could afford the risk) but a couple of the young lads risked it. Cantona won the pool of cash, but gave it to the young lads that had put money in for showing the balls to do so.

They lost the pool - but the younger lads had been given the option of putting their money in. Some of them said no (they were on little money, comparitively and didn't feel they could afford the risk) but a couple of the young lads risked it. Cantona won the pool of cash, but gave it to the young lads that had put money in for showing the balls to do so.

Thats the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

It'll always be the Point to me.

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

I think someone is missing the Point....:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

I hardly ever post in here, but this article about Ronaldo made me wide-eyed in amazement.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/09/jorge-mendes-cristiano-ronaldo-not-interested-in-manchester-united-return

Not really the united denial, as I don't think he's coming back.

It's more that Mendes claims Ronaldo is the greatest athlete in history (literally: "It’s impossible to find anyone like him in the history of sport”) and will continue to ...wait for this...get better into his 40's.

Another interesting article where Fergie praised LvG as doing a good job

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/09/alex-ferguson-louis-van-gaal-manchester-united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yeah because no one ever uses hyperbole in sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yeah because no one ever uses hyperbole in sports.

Especially not a player's agent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's more that Mendes claims Ronaldo is the greatest athlete in history (literally: "It’s impossible to find anyone like him in the history of sport”) and will continue to ...wait for this...get better into his 40's

He'll be back when he's 50 so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

He'll definitely be back as some form of ambassador I'd say, but other than that can't see him coming back. He's still unreal, but the fee touted for him will put the club off. No resale value like there would be on Bale.

When you buy a 29 year old player I don't think re sell value comes into it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United should go for Reus.

edit, as I missed the earlier posts.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    He'll definitely be back as some form of ambassador I'd say, but other than that can't see him coming back. He's still unreal, but the fee touted for him will put the club off. No resale value like there would be on Bale.

Wouldn't be so sure, could be kept around Real ala Zidane and a few other former players. Huge name, not sure Madrid would let him go without a fight, after the retires!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope United had performances clauses when they sold Ronaldo on, like extra money for CL and ballon dor wins.
    I wouldn't be so sure they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ugh.

Im very worried about these damn Internationals especially the South American teams.

Headshot wrote: »
    Ugh.

Im very worried about these damn Internationals especially the South American teams.

Di Maria and Rojo going to feckin Honk Kong is so annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I hardly ever post in here, but this article about Ronaldo made me wide-eyed in amazement.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/09/jorge-mendes-cristiano-ronaldo-not-interested-in-manchester-united-return

Not really the united denial, as I don't think he's coming back.

It's more that Mendes claims Ronaldo is the greatest athlete in history (literally: "It’s impossible to find anyone like him in the history of sport”) and will continue to ...wait for this...get better into his 40's.

Another interesting article where Fergie praised LvG as doing a good job

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/09/alex-ferguson-louis-van-gaal-manchester-united

you will hard find though another sporting person like him. He will go down as one of the greatest players of all time. he is just so hungry and driven to succeed its scary. some players are happy just to be playing and scoring the odd goal, he seems intent on smashing every record possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The seeding has changed for the Champions League next season. The holders and champions from top seven leagues will be in pot one from now on.

Probably a better system on balance but does mean we'll likely have a tougher group should we qualify next season (than under the old way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The seeding has changed for the Champions League next season. The holders and champions from top seven leagues will be in pot one from now on.

Probably a better system on balance but does mean we'll likely have a tougher group should we qualify next season (than under the old way).

depends on who you get.

What are the top 7 leagues?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

bangkok wrote: »
    you will hard find though another sporting person like him. He will go down as one of the greatest players of all time. he is just so hungry and driven to succeed its scary. some players are happy just to be playing and scoring the odd goal, he seems intent on smashing every record possible.

Yeah, Mendes is talking some rubbish but Ronaldo is an absolute freak of nature. He's an absolutely phenomenal athlete and will forever be remembered as one of the best to ever play the game. His work ethic and desire to be the best is one of the biggest reasons he is so successful. How many times have we seen players with bags of talent amount to nothing because they didn't have the drive to succeed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

depends on who you get.

Hmm, England, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Holland, Portugal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

depends on who you get.

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/520209343896371201

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

depends on who you get.

Spain, England, Germany, Italy, Portugal, France and Russia according to the UEFA coefficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Guess who benefits from that system?

Looks like the EU sanctions on Russia don't apply to bribes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's a good thing really. God be with the days when there was a bit of mystery over who would come out of all but the odd group here and there.

The Champions League has become an utterly boring competition over the last number of years, with the predictable groups the main reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

RobertKK wrote: »
    I hope United had performances clauses when they sold Ronaldo on, like extra money for CL and ballon dor wins.
    I wouldn't be so sure they did.

From memory it was a straight £80M fee with no clauses, and was to be paid 100% up front which is unusual enough in large transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The Russian league better than the Dutch league? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The Russian league better than the Dutch league? :O

Think that's bad?

Liechtenstein's league is ranked ahead of the LOI. FFS!:eek:

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's a good thing really. God be with the days when there was a bit of mystery over who would come out of all but the odd group here and there.

The Champions League has become an utterly boring competition over the last number of years, with the predictable groups the main reason.

Yeah it's far far too predictable. When the groups come out there are about 2-3 groups where there's a battle for second place but the rest you know well who is going through. And in the last 16 too it's pretty much the same.

Biggest mistake UEFA ever made IMO was getting rid of the Cup Winners Cup, and then turning the UEFA Cup into an absolutely shocking tournament with no life in it. I mean nobody actually cares until they find themselves in the Quarter Final or semi-final. Should've kept these competitions on and distributed the money down through them even if they're knockout. At least you'd have meaningful games throughout the winter in Europe and less sides in the CL aswell.

Anyways rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Zico wrote: »
    Think that's bad?

Liechtenstein's league is ranked ahead of the LOI. FFS!:eek:

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

Was checking that they actually have no league of their own and all the clubs play in the Swiss leagues,they do have a cup competition to see who qualifies for the Europa League

The Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan leagues are ahead of the LOI as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Probably a lot more money in those leagues, quite a few Brazilian players I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Probably a lot more money in those leagues, quite a few Brazilian players I'd say.

And they have populations of over 16 and 9 million people, plus are considerably richer than us.

Ireland is ranked 27th in terms of European population, our football ranking isnt far off that and considering our local game is geared towards England, 40th is about right overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Just after seeing the awful goal casillas conceded, surely de gea will have to get more game time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its time to get the top 3 goalie in the world in goals for Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hococop wrote: »
    Just after seeing the awful goal casillas conceded, surely de gea will have to get more game time now
    It's grand - we need the lad fit to proform like last Sunday ... Let him rot in the bench as long as possible :)

irishfeen wrote: »
    It's grand - we need the lad fit to proform like last Sunday ... Let him rot in the bench as long as possible :)

Playing for your country in a start studded team would be amazing for his development. Invaluable experience and a huge confidence boost. I absolutely want our players to gain experience on the international stage.

According to the mail, Blackett is getting a 48k wage rise (he's only on 2k atm) wouldn't mind that myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

According to the mail, Blackett is getting a 48k wage rise (he's only on 2k atm) wouldn't mind that myself
    Not sure if I can take the mail seriously at all to be honest :P Even if it's true then LVG surely has a lot of confidence in the lad.

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Not sure if I can take the mail seriously at all to be honest :P Even if it's true then LVG surely has a lot of confidence in the lad.

Ian Ladyman is reporting it, one of the better ones tbf!

There is absolutely no way he deserves that. He has done nothing.

There is absolutely no way he deserves that. He has done nothing.

Well, it does say he's out of contract this summer, but it is a massive increase alright.

Nothing controversial from Fergie tonight at the Chamber of Commerce gig.

More management focussed and probably more like what he's doing at Harvard.

Two references to Keane, both highly complimentary. He said that Scholes and Keane were the two best midfielders in Europe in '99 and made another reference to leaders in the '94 side which namechecked Keane.

Interesting stuff around rebuilding the club and the scouting system.

Spoke very fondly of Diego Forlan and how he speaks four or five languages. Forlan got married recently and Fergie was invited but couldn't go so Forlan sent a vidiographer to England to record a message. He was praising Forlan as a great man and a gentleman and talked about how after moving to Japan he did his first press conference in Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

50k a week for Blackett is madness, and shows that United are simply not learning from teh contractual mistakes that have landed us with Anderson on the wage bill for another year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement