Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Chessey like a fox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That's so cheesey

Almost RAWKish but what the feck,it was a great moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ah lads, ye know times are hard when people are turning a last gasp equaliser at home into an iconic moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

zerks wrote: »
    10659117_710387912384939_5487438401731760673_o.jpg?oh=489f7dcd7bc611d2bb451a51f5ea5529&oe=545412E7&__gda__=1414783537_fd9b9745f74f9817af0396ae4e1af085

Homer is in that photos isnt he, guesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fair point, but lets face it. If Falcao gets back to even 90% of the form he had pre-injury then the only striker better than him in the league is Aguero, Costa on form is amazing too.

He had looked sharper against Everton and when the goal went in finally I thought this was it, he is going to explode soon. The IB was really bad timing for United, even if he scored whilst on duty. Cannot wait to see if he plays this weekend and if his return to form continues.

Yeah, Falcao also admitted it was a big relief to get that first goal. I do think that is the hardest goal for a player who is expected to score, he was brought in for his goals and he had no time to really settle in and was expected to be the Falcao we all admire.

I think he will be under less pressure now and he won't have that 'when will I score?' on his brain, a bit like when Mata scored after a number of matches with no goals then he went on a great run, which ended when LVG benched him so he could play RVP, Falcao and Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Could play that child's board game where you had to guess the person by their features.

So Homer are you bald? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

RobertKK wrote: »
    Could play that child's board game where you had to guess the person by their features.

So Homer are you bald? :p

Guess Who?*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I take a guess at the guy behind the fella worth the cap at initials on his jacket to the left of rvp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I take a guess at the guy behind the fella worth the cap at initials on his jacket to the left of rvp!

thats our section but ye cant see us due to the picture quality. in the real, less cropped version that was in the papers you can see us alright though - that picture is going up on the wall at home :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Homers negativity has sucked all the colour from the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Looks like there is a Chelsea fan in that photo, anybody got the original?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What section of the ground is that lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What section of the ground is that lads?

Stretty, next to the tunnel I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Im going to throw an alternative name to Falcao into the mix,not because I don't rate Falcao but because he will be seriously expensive and only have maybe two more yrs at the top...and still have a dodgy knee.
    Graziano Pelle- has adapted well to Premiership,has great quick feet and scores all sorts of goals as evidenced in last nights Cup game.
    Tbh I'm not sure what age he is but he would be a hell of a lot cheaper than Falcao and injury doubt free.
    Ps- if Falcao scores 15 goals between now and end of season disregard my post;)

Jesus. This is the most knee jerk thing I've ever seen. Pellé will be 30 come end of the season and has had one good start to the PL. He's something like 2 Italian caps to his name. I'd wager you'd never heard of him prior to last month if you're advocating buying him and you don't know his age :P
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Not comparing him to Falcao but this is a stupid sentence. Pelle wasn't a nobody, he has 50 goals in about as many games for Feyonoord. Wouldnt suprise me if he continued to outscore Falcao this season either. I think it was a fair comment as a reasonable alternative, Falcao has yet to show his pre injury form.

Alfonso Alves had more than a goal a game in the Dutch league. Dirk Kuyt was close enough. Think he had 70 in 100. Loads of players have a good scoring record in the dutch league. I'd really take his record there with a large plate of salt, granted, he has made a fantastic start to this season.
    Its absolutely not a reasonable alternative though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

bangkok wrote: »
    pelle over falcao?! is this a joke? falcao is one of the best strikers in the world, don't be surprised to see him start and score against city this weekend. Pelle was a nobody last year, id say most people never even heard of him
    Even the most ardent of Falcao fans should be willing to admit that this is no longer a fact.

On the evidence of his time at Utd so far, he is a player signed purely on the basis of reputation and with the hope of regaining his pre-injury form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Jesus. This is the most knee jerk thing I've ever seen. Pellé will be 30 come end of the season and has had one good start to the PL. He's something like 2 Italian caps to his name. I'd wager you'd never heard of him prior to last month if you're advocating buying him and you don't know his age :P

Alfonso Alves had more than a goal a game in the Dutch league. Dirk Kuyt was close enough. Think he had 70 in 100. Loads of players have a good scoring record in the dutch league. I'd really take his record there with a large plate of salt, granted, he has made a fantastic start to this season.

I love the way lads jump down your throat on this forum!:(....I mentioned Pelle,not because I'm a statto who knew his age and previous clubs etc etc but as a v good strong striker who knows how to score,am surprised to hear he is older than Falcao,obviously a late developer,no where in my post did I say I would have him 'over Falcao'...
    Just as some of the more sensible posters on here have noted,that's he would cost a lot less and is injury free and would be great if he was say 25 for arguments sake.
    The thing I find quite amusing about this forum is some of the non regular posters like myself on it have probably forgotten hundreds more Man Utd games in their lives than some of the regular posters have either been to,seen on TV or dare I say it listened on a crackly Radio 5 Live!;)

K4t wrote: »
    Even the most ardent of Falcao fans should be willing to admit that this is no longer a fact.

On the evidence of his time at Utd so far, he is a player signed purely on the basis of reputation and with the hope of regaining his pre-injury form.

He has only been here for what? 4 games? He was injured before that and wasnt fully fit. 4 ****ing games.

Yeah his reputation of being world class. Cant believe people dont think he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I actually meant reasonably priced alternative to signing Falcao, leaving more money for elsewhere. You can add Mateja Kezman to that list too of players who failed, but you can easily say that about loads of players who fail to adapt to the Premier League coming from less physical ones. Look at Soldado, Lamela etc, it's always a gamble signing players from foreign leagues. But there are also plenty of players signed from the Dutch league who go on and prove themselves such as Suarez.

I love the way lads jump down your throat on this forum!:(....I mentioned Pelle,not because I'm a statto who knew his age and previous clubs etc etc but as a v good strong striker who knows how to score,am surprised to hear he is older than Falcao,obviously a late developer,no where in my post did I say I would have him 'over Falcao'...
    Just as some of the more sensible posters on here have noted,that's he would cost a lot less and is injury free and would be great if he was say 25 for arguments sake.
    The thing so find amusing about this forum is some of the non regular posters like myself on it have probably forgotten hundreds more Man Utd games in their lives than some of the regular posters have either been to,seen on TV or dare I say it listened on a crackly Radio 5 Live!;)

Step 1; have a chip on your shoulder.
    Step 2: proclaim you have been to more games than anyone here.
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: Not have your opinion slated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't really care if he is world class, to be honest I just think we didn't need him, and still don't.

• Advertisement

He has only been here for what? 4 games? He was injured before that and wasnt fully fit. 4 ****ing games.
    I agree, too early to make a final judgement.
    Exactly, purely on reputation, not recent form. It is not far fetched or overly negative thinking to suspect that he may never fully return to the form he was in during his Porto and Athletico years, or even close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I don't really care if he is world class, to be honest I just think we didn't need him, and still don't.

Considering LVG thinks Rooney is best behind the striker and RVP's age/lack of form, United absolutely do need a world class player in the position. James Wilson won't be enough.

Sure, but when you have the option of signing a good player, you shouldnt turn it down.
    its something we should have been doing in the last 10 years, stacking world class players like bayern, we wouldnt be in the midfield mess if we had, just think of all the midfielders/defenders that have moved in 10 years.

Fergie stuck with Tom and Ando. Its always a great plan to have world class back up/subs to change the game, rather than rely on Valencia.

But yeah, if he went to Madrid or stayed, it wouldnt have bothered me.

Sure, but when you have the option of signing a good player, you shouldnt turn it down.

Sometimes you should be turning it down, when you don't need something then you don't need it.

If he was a 25 year old for a bargain price then sure, you could justify making the signing. But a 28 year old just back from a serious injury, on massive wages and still costing a big transfer fee? When we already had two world class strikers and a quality supporting cast? No. Thats not a good call.

Still, its done, and we will now spend the rest of the season trying to squeeze 3 strikers into the team.

Sometimes you should be turning it down, when you don't need something then you don't need it.

If he was a 25 year old for a bargain price then sure, you could justify making the signing. But a 28 year old just back from a serious injury, on massive wages and still costing a big transfer fee? When we already had two world class strikers and a quality supporting cast? No. Thats not a good call.

Still, its done, and we will now spend the rest of the season trying to squeeze 3 strikers into the team.

trying to squeeze 3 world class strikers on their day into the team. What a problem to have.

trying to squeeze 3 world class strikers on their day into the team. What a problem to have.

Hey, why stop there. Lets bid €40m for Ibrahimovic and play him as well. Team balance is for chumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The only way this is a problem is if we try to shoehorn them into the one side all the time and it doesn't work. So far we haven't been doing that.

Also, Rooney is going to play as a 10. It's what he wants to do and what LVG wants him to do, so viewing him as a striker right now is pointless. He is basically our first choice 10 and backup striker.

LVG so far seems to like having a player in behind two strikers. I prefer Mata in that role, but LVG seems to favour Rooney. Now, where is the problem in having two world class strikers in a team where playing two strikers seems like it will be a common occurrence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Step 1; have a chip on your shoulder.
    Step 2: proclaim you have been to more games than anyone here.
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: Not have your opinion slated.

Ah G Rex tbh I have no issue with any poster individually it is clear though that there's certain regular posters who feel their opinion is more valid than anyone else's....as is common on forums on all sorts of topics across the Internet....so chill out....and if you read my post carefully...nowhere in it did I say I had attended more Man Utd games than anyone else!

baz2009 wrote: »
    Now, where is the problem in having two world class strikers in a team where playing two strikers seems like it will be a common occurrence?
    1. Neither are are world class anymore.
    2. They have a combined age of 60.
    3. One is injury prone and the other has suffered a serious injury.

Having said all of that, I think they'll do quite well together, but nowhere near what they could have done in their prime. Form is temporary, Class is permanent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Sell RVP and Falcao and buy back the reincarnation of Pele from Arsenal.

K4t wrote: »
    1. Neither are are world class anymore.
    2. They have a combined age of 60.
    3. One is injury prone and the other has suffered a serious injury.

Having said all of that, I think they'll do quite well together, but nowhere near what they could have done in their prime. Form is temporary, Class is permanent.

On their day they most definitely are. RvP has been in a slump as of late, but he always has the potential to be WC. You've already been proved hella wrong on Falcao.

Two of the best strikers on the planet anyway, anyone who doubts that then I would just severely disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

It really is a shame RvP has been muck lately. He's fantastic when he plays well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Roy lets off more steam

Roy Keane claims Paul Scholes was too lazy to do interviews as a player and suspects it is big cheques that have persuaded his old Manchester United teammate to enter TV punditry.

"People don't realise Scholesy could have done [TV appearances] at United, but he couldn't be a---d.''
    People thought he was camera-shy; he just couldn't be bothered.

"None of us liked doing interviews, but it was a responsibility of the dressing room, you shared the load. 'Scholesy's too humble to do it.' Well, he's f---ing doing it now, isn't he? Maybe there's more money involved now. And I'd tell him this if he was sat here in front of me.''

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Silva out for up to three weeks! Never like to hear a player hurt but great news for us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

It really is a shame RvP has been muck lately. He's fantastic when he plays well.

I think muck is a bit harsh on RVP. Against Chelsea I thought he played quite well. Nothing amazing but nice movement and did get the all important equaliser at the end. I think the problem is we're expecting performance levels of 2012 which he may never even reach again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Blue giant wrote: »
    I think muck is a bit harsh on RVP. Against Chelsea I thought he played quite well. Nothing amazing but nice movement and did get the all important equaliser at the end. I think the problem is we're expecting performance levels of 2012 which he may never even reach again.
    I only got to see the highlights of the Chelsea game. Will give him credit with the goal though.
    Reaching the 2012 levels would be fairly hard for anyone imo, especially after last season's circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Silva out for up to three weeks! Never like to hear a player hurt but great news for us :D

exc.gif

Roy lets off more steam

Roy Keane claims Paul Scholes was too lazy to do interviews as a player and suspects it is big cheques that have persuaded his old Manchester United teammate to enter TV punditry.

"People don't realise Scholesy could have done [TV appearances] at United, but he couldn't be a---d.''
    People thought he was camera-shy; he just couldn't be bothered.

"None of us liked doing interviews, but it was a responsibility of the dressing room, you shared the load. 'Scholesy's too humble to do it.' Well, he's f---ing doing it now, isn't he? Maybe there's more money involved now. And I'd tell him this if he was sat here in front of me.''

Shock horror, 40 year old spots an earrning oppurtunity. Roy is just being a gowl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I recently had it in mind to buy a copy of Roys book but realised that most of the stories were all over the internet. Wonder how many sales are lost to this practice of serialising in papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Roy isn't too Keane (get it) on the whole class of 92 thing, particularly how they have helped feed the hype surrounding themselves, I suppose he could be taking a swipe at him about that, then again he may not be taking a swipe at all, I would have to actually see the full interview transcript, or the actual interview itself preferably.

It may come as a shock but it is kinda the done thing to make Keanes comments out to be controversial, at all times, even they are not intended as such.

Non story anyway, the big news is Silva is out. Great for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I recently had it in mind to buy a copy of Roys book but realised that most of the stories were all over the internet. Wonder how many sales are lost to this practice of serialising in papers.

I'd recommend getting it anyway, the most interesting bits were not the headlines that the papers (naturally) ran with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The thing I find quite amusing about this forum is some of the non regular posters like myself on it have probably forgotten hundreds more Man Utd games in their lives than some of the regular posters have either been to,seen on TV or dare I say it listened on a crackly Radio 5 Live!;)

Oh. Okay. You attended more United games than us so the flavour of the month must be a good alternative. No one said you needed to be a "Statto" But you're basing this off his current season form of like what 8 games? Also there's no "Us v Them" mentality between regular users or intermittent users. I don't look at half the usernames that post and if you hadn't brought attention to it I doubt half the people on this board would have noticed you're not regular.

But if you post what people perceive to be a bad opinion, you'll get slated. Doesn't matter what the username is buddy. Now I'm off to be a plastic fan or whatever xoxo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lord TSC wrote: »

leonardo-dicaprio-dancing.gif

Oh. Okay. You attended more United games than us so the flavour of the month must be a good alternative. No one said you needed to be a "Statto" But you're basing this off his current season form of like what 8 games? Also there's no "Us v Them" mentality between regular users or intermittent users. I don't look at half the usernames that post and if you hadn't brought attention to it I doubt half the people on this board would have noticed you're not regular.

But if you post what people perceive to be a bad opinion, you'll get slated. Doesn't matter what the username is buddy. Now I'm off to be a plastic fan or whatever xoxo

Exactly. I'll love someone one minute then hate them the next.

If people could just stop with the chip on the shoulder and stop posting ridiculous things we will get on ok.

I for one, like small boobs. B cup 4 lyf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

"They have a combined age of..." has to take the cake for the worst criticism of sportsmen I've yet to hear. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Exactly. I'll love someone one minute then hate them the next.

If people could just stop with the chip on the shoulder and stop posting ridiculous things we will get on ok.

I for one, like small boobs. B cup 4 lyf

Do you like big butts gowlasauras? And remember you cannot lie :D

Hococop wrote: »
    Do you like big butts gowlasauras? And remember you cannot lie :D

I do not. I like them small and tight.
    I also like my girls not too tall, about shoulder height.
    Great for spooning and their head dosent get in the way when watching a movie.

Also bitches love hugs, you can hug them and look around

Actually, I must teach young copper pipe to get some fine young limerick ladies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement