Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just the 13 points behind the leaders, but sure things are looking up :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

J. Marston wrote: »
    Progress, philoshopy, players gelling, excuses etc.

I have no problem with no Van Gaal, I'm sure he knows what he's doing. It's not his fault that he's stuck with honestly, no exaggeration, one of the worst defences in the league.

How many combinations have we seen so far in defence? I don't know have a back 4 combo even played 2 games in a row yet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Di Maria needs to be playing in a central position and going wide or into space rather than starting in a wide position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

this defence issue is pulling the team down. Not only are our defenders injury prone, but they have not be bloody brain. What the actual f**k was smalling doing blocking that kick out from joe hart. And then rojo goes off injured and were left with a championship level defence. Despite being pretty unlucky today, we were pretty lucky not to get another red card and 2 or 3 penalties. It could have been 4 or 5 nil. We didn't have any clear cut chances all game. Rooney made a messi like run and should of blasted it straight on but decided to cut in backwards. Fellaini had a chance for a header but made an absolute mare out of it. Van Gaal i'd say won't be complaining too much as we had really bad luck with our defence today. Not a terrible performance, just a frustrating one

It's not his fault that he's stuck with honestly, no exaggeration, one of the worst defences in the league.

Didn't he blow 160 million in the summer?

We needed to sign a top class Centre defender and midfielder! Instead we got wingers and left backs.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The sending off ruined it for us. Smalling let the game get to him.

We really should have scored, there are positive signs but we need at least one center back and a right back. Valencia just back and Rafael out injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

MagicIRL wrote: »
    McNair was a rock. I've been impressed with all his gametime this season. I'd easily start him over Jones or Evans when they eventually come back.

Aguero lost him for the goal, Yaya made him look very slow when he turned him at the end and city were awful.

Mcnair looks a decent prospect but a rock he was not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

KH25 wrote: »
    The defence is killing us. Massive respect to McNair for today. I thought he stepped in well. The fact that Jones Smalling Evans and Raf can't stay fit is very concerning. Replacements are needed.

In this case it's a bonus that Silvestre Smalling is injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

days like today show why we should have gone out and got an experienced CB and an actual right back in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lord TSC wrote: »
    It's a shame we couldn't play like we were at 1-0 down when we were 0-0; we closed up shop so early, even when we were getting lucky with penalties. When they scored, we looked a different team who could have pushed on, and it would be nice to know what could have been if Smalling hadn't got sent off. He cost us badly today.

Rooney was useless in CM (bar one good moment, as usual). RVP was isolated. DiMaria was marked out of the game. Januzaj was bad too.

Shaw had a good game I felt. De Gea made two good saves in the first half. Blind did grand, McNair and Wilson did well when they came on.

For me, I came out of the loss far less demotivated than I did to smaller losses and draws last year. The nerves from the City team and fans shows that we're moving in the right direction. If we could get out defense sorted out, I think we'd be scary. But the defence situation is killing us right now.

Rooney changed the momentum of the game with that run in the second half and played very well from then on. Shaw was pretty poor again I thought and continues to be unimpressive in his early Utd career. Januzai shouldn't have started in my opinion. Di Maria had a few flashes of quality but was below par and was marked/kicked out of the game. How Zabaletta gets away with so much in the modern era is baffling to me. Don't get me wrong, he's the best right back in the league but the amount of cyclical and reckless fouls he gets away with is baffling.

Fellaini Utds man of the match by a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's hilarious how people think LvG should be getting the same criticism as Moyes was by looking at games played/points won. Some people just have such a simplistic, lazy way of looking at things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just the 13 points behind the leaders, but sure things are looking up :)
    I expect us to go on a winning run of games before Christmas - Chelsea and City are a level above us... Loosing today is nothing major - I would consider the fact that we never gave up much more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Good to see Giggs has been giving Di Maria some tips on his corner taking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

OctavarIan wrote: »
    For how long can we 'play well' but continue dropping points? Only reason we're still in shout of top 4 is the fact that the other big teams (bar Chelsea) are dropping points as well. See reasons for optimism but they don't convert to points on the table.

Also Smalling has shown over the past two seasons that he's not a United player. Needs to go, permanently.

I don't think we will be playing well but dropping points much more tbh, its not every week you are going to be playing teams like City and Chelsea, Cheslea was the best performance I have seen and they are just getting better overall. The run of wins will come, the biggest problem right now is getting a settled team, the constant injuries and suspensions are killing the squad right now.

Smalling needs to have a long hard look at himself after that, such a stupid combination of moments that he was sent off for. I hope he is given a proper dressing down for it. From what I saw, Shaw was ok, caught out a couple of times, but more due tot he team losing the ball cheaply in the final third and him being up the pitch, where he should be, when we are attacking. De Gea was immense, as usual. Di Maria was marked out of the game and it is too easy to do when he is our only bit of spark going forward, Rooney didn't do enough, Van Persie played ok but was isolated, Januzaj needs to go on loan because he should not be an option for these games, he is nowhere near ready to start.

Hererra was missed today, Fellaini was arguably our best player again, he is turning it around which is great to see. Wilson looked comfortable, and McNair other then one or two moments acquitted himself well too. I firmly believe we would have got something, maybe even 3 points if it had not been for the sending off, but its irrelevant now. The team fought till the end but City defended resolutely and shut up shop. The defeat this year and last year are like night and day they are so different, we did not crumble today and that is a positive. Against the weaker teams I expect us to start racking up the wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Progress, philoshopy, players gelling, excuses etc.

I have no problem with no Van Gaal, I'm sure he knows what he's doing. It's not his fault that he's stuck with honestly, no exaggeration, one of the worst defences in the league.

Not his fault? How much was spent this summer and defence left as was? The biggest development of the season has been Felaini. Di Maria shows glimpses of being a great palyer but is it enough for a 65m player, I'm not so sure.

I will admit that Smalling changed the game. I'm not sure which was more stupid his first yellow or making the challenge he did while on a yellow.

The only reason I can see us sneaking into top 4 is Liverpool's capitulation from last year, but its shocking to see where we are now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

On a plus note, Carrick looked good when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know how we keep bringing our defence into it every time we lose but we did only concede 1 goal today.

Smalling's stupid decisions cost us. From how both teams were playing up until that red I was confident enough that we would leave with a point. The red card ended that chance. The defence isn't great but I don't think we can really fault the likes of Shaw, McNair, Valencia or even Carrick today.

I must be the only one slightly confident with the future of our defence, McNair and Blackett both look promising, Shaw played decent, Rojo, Jones when he's fit is very good. Only spot I'm truly worried about is our right back situation.

Hopefully we can do well against Palace and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Not too disappointed, it was equal until the sending off. Smalling is an idiot

the movement from the players in the final 3rd is still awful, we are still heavily reliant on crosses

Rooney should never be a CM, we could get a better CM for a third of his wages imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

On a plus note, Carrick looked good when he came on.

Thought himself and McNair did very well after been thrown into game like that

David May arguing with a caller on MUTV, over the caller complaining about Rooney.

It's hilarious how people think LvG should be getting the same criticism as Moyes was by looking at games played/points won. Some people just have such a simplistic, lazy way of looking at things :pac:
    Yes, you're right.

If anything he should be getting more criticism having spent nearly twice as much, with one of Moyes' signings being one of our best players against Chelsea and City. But he has a philosophy and Moyes didn't so it's ok.

POSSY wrote: »
    Not his fault? How much was spent this summer and defence left as was? The biggest development of the season has been Felaini. Di Maria shows glimpses of being a great palyer but is it enough for a 65m player, I'm not so sure.

I will admit that Smalling changed the game. I'm not sure which was more stupid his first yellow or making the challenge he did while on a yellow.

The only reason I can see us sneaking into top 4 is Liverpool's capitulation from last year, but its shocking to see where we are now.

Did you miss the signings of Rojo and Shaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Initial thoughts on today's match:

1. Smalling is an idiot who should be forced to count the blades of grass at the training ground until he is eligible to play again.

2. McNair played well when he came on and looks comfortable bringing the ball out, which is something we need.

3. Another good performance despite the result. Good to see them still pushing 5 minutes into injury time.

4. The ref had a terrible game. City players got away with tackles that ours weren't, and they should have had a few penalties.

5. RVP had another ineffectual game.

6. Rojo looks like he will be out for a while so McNair and Carrick look likely to be our starting cb pairing against Palace.

7. We need to ship out a few of these injury prone defenders and recruit a few new players.

K4t wrote: »
    Yes, you're right.

If anything he should be getting more criticism having spent nearly twice as much, with one of Moyes' signings being one of our best players against Chelsea and City. But he has a philosophy and Moyes didn't so it's ok.

I don't know if you are being intentionally ignorant over comparing the two situations but I'm sure you know they are in no way comparable and if you don't there's no pin t trying to explain it to you.

It's utterly baffling that people keep bringing it up. Sure some of the opposition usuals bring it up for a bit of a wind up but if people are really serious with using it as a valid comparison then the mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Didn't he blow 160 million in the summer?

We needed to sign a top class Centre defender and midfielder! Instead we got wingers and left backs.

We needed strengthing everywhere especially on the wings and left back

adox wrote: »
    Did you miss the signings of Rojo and Shaw?

Shaw fine. Rojo fine. We are still left with Smalling (the football brain of a dinosaur), Jones (a man on a mission to injure himself) and of course Rafael (who is great going forward but seems to refuse to be a defender).

Did you miss the exits of Evra, Rio and Vidic?

Shaw fine. Rojo fine. We are still left with Smalling (the football brain of a dinosaur), Jones (a man on a mission to injure himself) and of course Rafael (who is great going forward but seems to refuse to be a defender).

Did you miss the exits of Evra, Rio and Vidic?

You said the defence was left as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Rafael (who is great going forward but seems to refuse to be a defender).

Rafael is class.

You said the defence was left as it was.

Your'e right I should have probably said it was worsened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

K4t wrote: »
    Good to see Giggs has been giving Di Maria some tips on his corner taking..

I really don't understand how a professional player can struggle to take a corner, never mind supposedly one of the best players in the world.

Di Maria's free kick deliveries are good so why are his corners abysmal? It's the same basic concept. Kick dead ball into crowded area.

Rafael is class.

He really isn't.

LVG says Smalling was 'not very smart'.

Rojo has his shoulder out of place and in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Did you actually watch the team last season? That was shocking. There was no fight whatsoever in the players, they more or less gave up halfway through the season. This season, results aside, the difference in attitude is there to be seen. The team is willing to fight for everything now.

The results overall are clearly not what we would want or hope for but christ almighty, people need to look between the results sometimes.

He really isn't.

He really is, just sadly, he is also made of glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How can people compare what we are seeing to last year.

We were fully deserving of a point against Chelsea.

With 10 men against City who usually hammer us we controlled the last 20 minutes.

The performances are not getting the results at the moment which is disappointing but we are starting to look good.

Did you actually watch the team last season? That was shocking. There was no fight whatsoever in the players, they more or less gave up halfway through the season. This season, results aside, the difference in attitude is there to be seen. The team is willing to fight for everything now.

The results overall are clearly not what we would want or hope for but christ almighty, people need to look between the results sometimes.

At the same stage last season we were better off in terms of point and goal difference, yet people were questioning Moyes with Felaini being derided. Now it seems that since we spent a ton of money and got in LvG no one can question things. I'm genuinely worried we wont make top 4 and I don't know how others are not.

Pellegrini asked in the press conference did he see Fellaini spitting at Aguero when down on the ground.
    Pellegrini said he knows nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

We are much better then last year by far

started off shaky but bringing it to the Top teams again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I thought there were loads of great performances out there. Last year's champions struggled to put away 10 men. City deserved the win 100% but if we lost in that manner with 11 men I wouldn't be too fussed. City were better overall. Should've had a pen in the first half and were unlucky not to have scored when Navas hit the post. But a more mature defensive display (Mostly after Smalling was off and Rojo went off) Fellaini was our Motm for me. Him, Blind, Roo, Carrick, Mc Nair and Shaw were all very good. RvP had some good flashes too. Its not the big games I'm worried about, but the games against teams we should be beating week in week out.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »

He's class going forward, no one will argue with that. But his temperament makes him a defensive liability and I don't think he shows any signs of changing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

At the same stage last season we were better off in terms of point and goal difference, yet people were questioning Moyes with Felaini being derided. Now it seems that since we spent a ton of money and got in LvG no one can question things. I'm genuinely worried we wont make top 4 and I don't know how others are not.

You just don't get it.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How can people compare what we are seeing to last year.

We were fully deserving of a point against Chelsea.

With 10 men against City who usually hammer us we controlled the last 20 minutes.

The performances are not getting the results at the moment which is disappointing but we are starting to look good.

Totally agree.

Last year cautious, nervous, very bad to watch.
    This year confident in attack, good to watch, just the defense is either injured, asleep or does a Chris Smalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Decisions need to be made by van gaal for next week. Smalling, jones and Evans can't be trusted and should not be seen as first choice CB's.

For me McNair, Blackett and Thorpe should get a run. The other three are brain dead and liabilities

kryogen wrote: »

Rafael is a liability, anyone who still thinks he's a world class defender is deluded.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

edgecutter wrote: »

Lol united have the English, Argentinian and Dutch left backs.

I don't know if you are being intentionally ignorant over comparing the two situations but I'm sure you know they are in no way comparable and if you don't there's no pin t trying to explain it to you.

It's utterly baffling that people keep bringing it up. Sure some of the opposition usuals bring it up for a bit of a wind up but if people are really serious with using it as a valid comparison then the mind boggles.
    What exactly are you trying to say here?

That Van Gaal should not be criticised? And should under no circumstances be compared to David Moyes? Because that just does not work.

As far as I can see, a whole lot of money has been spent but the football and the results have remained largely the same. And only for the investment of £60m in Di Maria, who is good enough to bail us out against the weaker sides but ineffectual against Chelsea and City, we would be in an even worse position.

Obviously, things should improve and he will be given time like Moyes was to rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

RobertKK wrote: »
    Pellegrini asked in the press conference did he see Fellaini spitting at Aguero when down on the ground.
    Pellegrini said he knows nothing about it.

Is there a gif of this? I remember Fellaini shouting at him on the ground, presumably for being a diving little........(insert insult).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Once again we top the injuries charts

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

We have become the new Arsenal when it comes to racking up the injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

edgecutter wrote: »

I might be alone in this but I thought Shaw was very good today. Especailly considering how quick Navas is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement