Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Just when I thought that I'd seen everything that this thread can offer, it gives again...

Posters describing Fellaini's performances as "brilliant".

We're a f..king rabble and all over the shop. We had the easiest start we've ever had and we're still without an away win.

Has Van Gaal got a clue?
    Fellaini is in your head. He has beaten you.

Fellaini_2665773b.jpg

Fellaini is love, Fellaini is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

K4t wrote: »
    It's not that simple though, it's deluded.

It really is that simple. I wouldn't lie to you boss I swear.

Di Maria still manages to create one or two chances in a game
    Januzaj manages to contribute pretty much zero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Just when I thought that I'd seen everything that this thread can offer, it gives again...

Posters describing Fellaini's performances as "brilliant".

We're a f..king rabble and all over the shop. We had the easiest start we've ever had and we're still without an away win.

Has Van Gaal got a clue?

You either didn't see the game or have trouble admitting when your wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Trilla wrote: »
    Di Maria has an exceptional pass and cross, but not from a dead ball. he needs movemnt or pace on the ball already

He's hit and miss. He put the ball on Fellaini's head to create the equaliser v Chelsea and did the same today but sadly without the goal. His free kicks have been quite effective at times and not so effective others, much like most designated free takers.
    His corners are cack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

gosplan wrote: »
    Fair enough, there's no need to say that he's capable of being 'one of the best players in his position' though. He hasn't put those performances in at all.

Reminds me of a row I had in this thread when Jones was signed. Posters were calling him 'the best young defender in the world'. They were including Hummels and Silva in that too.

Good young players with bags of potential, that's all. Trying to draw comparisons at this stage is silly.
    Last year Januzaj was widely acknowledged by everyone as being one of the best young wingers in the world! He hasn't regressed since then!

I honestly cannot believe what I am reading here. Our best young talent since Ronaldo and one or two performances where he hasn't set the world alight but yet still done as well as if not better than Di Maria and suddenly he's average and not worthy of starting.

It's hard to take people seriously when they would prefer Welbeck and Januzaj to Falcao and Di Maria.

Last year Januzaj was widely acknowledged by everyone as being one of the best young wingers in the world! He hasn't regressed since then!

I honestly cannot believe what I am reading here. Our best young talent since Ronaldo and one or two performances where he hasn't set the world alight but yet still done as well as if not better than Di Maria and suddenly he's average and not worthy of starting.

See this part simply just is not true and things like that do not help your cause.

He needs a good loan, not saying he doesn't have potential, but he needs time out of the spotlight to develop properly imo, much like Sturridge at Bolton or Welbeck at Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I can't believe the hatred for young Adnan! Come back Nani! All is forgiven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not by anyone with a clue tbh.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Januzaj, he's not average, he should be playing but anyone that wants to call him 'best young winger in the world' after a handful of performances is about as deluded as the people calling Phil Jones 'the best young defender in the world' after a few matches for Blackburn.

It's an unnecessary comment too. You can think Jan is good with scary potential too. You don't need to stretch it and label him better than the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So guys who are the viable transfers targets in January to sort out the defence?

A decent RB to challenge Rafeal and a strong,experienced CB who can be can be a leader in the back four

And hopefully not injury prone,the physios need a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Januzaj has done very little of note in his United career bar those couple of goals he got when Moyes was manager, it was abit disappointing seeing him start ahead of Herrera and Mata today

Fellainis been very good the last few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, Januzaj might be in the top 5 for wingers under 21, but then I still don't think he's good enough to be starting at United atm. Needs a loan out where there's less pressure and given some time to develop.

We need better players than him starting, and would be nice if we were shrewd in who we sign rather than throwing money at whatever name player is available.

As good as someone like Di Maria is, you should be able to get 2 excellent players for that price e.g Griezmann + Fabregas would be around a similar price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

This is the club that brought us performances like Roy Keane's in Turin in '99.

Now people are calling the performances of someone like Marouane Fellaini in an insipid defeat to a Sheikh's plaything "brilliant".

Fellaini being on the payroll is laughable.

Starting him? Incredible.

Roy Keane was right about standards being allowed to slip.

Van Gaal must go. We've made the wrong choice (again).

Time to reboot.

Now people are calling the performances of someone like Marouane Fellaini in an insipid defeat to a Sheikh's plaything "brilliant".

Time to reboot.

If you're making, arguably, the best 90min CM performance ever, the barometer for every player to be judged off weekly, there isn't a single player out there worthy to play for the club. Fellaini was the best midfielder on the pitch today. We weren't the best team, but he was the best of both teams imo. He was great. The fact you can't admit that is simply staggering.

Tbh your post reads like someone told you to write entirely in hyperbole and overreaction.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Guys, why bother? Seriously.

• Advertisement

Time to reboot.

Yes, you should totally change managers 10 matches in.

I say just hire the next guy that's on the up.

I mean it works without fail for Spurs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What's the chances we can throw a wad at Dortmund and take Subotic and Hummels.

Maybe take Reus too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So guys who are the viable transfers targets in January to sort out the defence?

A decent RB to challenge Rafeal and a strong,experienced CB who can be can be a leader in the back four

And hopefully not injury prone,the physios need a break

Best that I can see available at RB would be Dani Alves or Arbeloa. Anyone really better, you're buying them to replace Rafael rather than challenge, and I'm not sure it's worth going out and spending money on someone like Coleman or Danilo

At CB, I think Vlaar would be a nice stopgap to bring some experience in, worked with Van Gaal and knows the PL and shouldn't cost a lot.

After that, got the usual Hummels, Subotic, Howedes etc, or go someone younger like Inigo Martinez or Laporte

Fellaini has played three games this season.

He was the best player on the pitch when he came on against West Brom.

He was the best player on the pitch against Chelsea and dominated the best playmaker in the league.

He was the best player in the pitch today and got the better of Toure one of the best midfielders in the world.

It was great to not actually be bullied and dominated by Toure for once.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    What's the chances we can throw a wad at Dortmund and take Subotic and Hummels.

Maybe take Reus too.

Dortmund might not get into the Champions league the way things are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Dortmund might not get into the Champions league the way things are going.

Neither might we the way this season is going. Don't get me wrong I think we can finish in the top 4, but the way we are gathering red cards and injuries this season it may be harder than some people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I feel sad this evening.

I feel sad this evening.

Would you like a hug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Would you like a hug?

Yeah, sorta.

Yeah, sorta.

giphy.gif

There there. We played okay today. Carrick is back, Mc Nair looks good. Smalling is suspended. Rooney and Fellaini had good games. It was last years champions away from home and they only beat us 1-0. We've got the whole season ahead of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Fellaini has played three games this season.

He was the best player on the pitch when he came on against West Brom.

He was the best player on the pitch against Chelsea and dominated the best playmaker in the league.

He was the best player in the pitch today and got the better of Toure one of the best midfielders in the world.

It was great to not actually be bullied and dominated by Toure for once.
    I think a lot of you are missing Larry's point regarding Fellani, quite spectacularly actually. Fellani at Everton was always capable of these types of performances against the top teams, hell he did it against us on more than one occasion. But that's not the point. The point is that celebrating Fellani's performances against Chelsea and City today, while great for Fellani and any of you who want to find yet another reason to bait another poster, is a sign of standards dropping and a change in the mentality of our club and its fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

So saying a player who had a good game and even though we know he can do it from his time at Everton is a drop in standards?

I think a lot of you are missing Larry's point regarding Fellani, quite spectacularly actually. Fellani at Everton was always capable of these types of performances against the top teams, hell he did it against us on more than one occasion. But that's not the point. The point is that celebrating Fellani's performances against Chelsea and City today, while great for Fellani and any of you who want to find yet another reason to bait another poster, is a sign of standards dropping and a change in the mentality of our club and its fans.

Acknowledging a player playing well, is a sign of standards dropping and a change of mentality of the club, and the fans.

I think you need to take a break bud. The shark has been jumped

Happy mental gymnastics day everybody.
    The lengths that people go to...

Fellaini in the past two games has got the better of two of the best midfielders in the world certainly in the league.

How exactly being happy about that a sign of standards dropping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Haven't read back...am I the only one who is baffled by the first yellow Smalling got? All he did was stand and jump in front of England's glorious no.1, there was no contact until Harts kicking action took him into Smalling.

Still though, Smalling is as braindead as ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Was disappointed with the use of RVP today, he doesn't have the pace to run in behind from deep positions, he is good at holding it and makes good runs around the box but needs players close to him, it thought it really was a day to use Di Maria close to him in a Central Area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is pure bull. Fellaini was vilified for an entire season where nobody played well. I was happy when he signed as he brings a lot to the table. Can be great in an attacking or defensive capacity bit just had to produce it on a regular basis. His positional sense isn't the best but that will improve as he plays more and Blind is a great guy to have around because his is great and hopefully LVG can get Fellaini to use his physical side which will make up for what Blind lacks. Fellaini is potentially the best CM United have had in years, the fact he didn't show it last season when everyone was garbage doesn't change that for me.

ericzeking wrote: »
    Haven't read back...am I the only one who is baffled by the first yellow Smalling got? All he did was stand and jump in front of England's glorious no.1, there was no contact until Harts kicking action took him into Smalling.

Its a definite yellow. He's clearly interfering with the keeper as he is in the box. However. If he stands outside the box and gets in the way he's all clear. Balotelli did it to Krul the other day but he had the sense to stand outside the box. Was petulant and idiotic. The second challenge was very bad. Disappointing that Zabaleta got away with a very similar challenge minutes earlier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I see Tottenham's late win moved us down to 10th position. Depressing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Its a definite yellow. He's clearly interfering with the keeper as he is in the box. However. If he stands outside the box and gets in the way he's all clear. Balotelli did it to Krul the other day but he had the sense to stand outside the box. Was petulant and idiotic. The second challenge was very bad. Disappointing that Zabaleta got away with a very similar challenge minutes earlier though.

Was Smalling in the box? Didn't think he was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

You can't prevent the goalkeeper releasing the ball, he tried to stop him releasing the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a yellow card all day long ,you cant interfere with the goalkeeper kicking the ball out of his hands.

Smalling is a terrible player ,poor technically and poor mentally too ,he is a championship player at best ,nowhere near the standard required for Utd.
    Utd were well in that game until that cabbage got sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Shaw is very matured and composed for his age. Looked very good defensively.
    He is a class act I recon - looking at him over the last 2 games he was very very composed - I'm mightily impressed with him. If we could sort out the CBs we would be lifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Still annoyed at the dozy fúcking face on Smalling after he fouled Milner :mad:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Exactly.

Thank you.

We are Manchester F..king United...not Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

J. Marston wrote: »
    Still annoyed at the dozy fúcking face on Smalling after he fouled Milner :mad:.

Im more angry at the red card than actually losing the game

People going totally over the top on Smalling - he got sent off - it happens. Up to the point he got sent off he was doing well and he had a great game v Chelsea.

Exactly.

Thank you.

We are Manchester F..king United

You're being a bit precious tbh.

Everton used Fellaini as a long ball weapon against top teams and he dominated the approach they took.

But Everton didn't have Di Maria, Falcao, Mata, Rooney etc.

When it all clicks, there's a job for Fellaini that doesn't mean you have to sacrifice style.

He's basically a luxury defensive player.

At the bare minimum you can do things like set him on Fabregas and make it 10 v 10, except at set pieces when you've a big advantage. No team should ever think themselves above playing Jose's Chelsea this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

The mood is depressing here tonight! True the result was disappointing and the results so far are obviously not acceptable and we are a long way back (early in the season though) but some things need to be put into context.

1. The overall level of performance is better than last year, the quality of the squad is higher and while it's still missing in some areas, the investment has been made in the team.
    2. We were never going to go from 7th to winning the league this season. CL is the target and while we are a bit back, we should still edge out Liverpool of last years top 4 and I don't see any other team coming into the equation for top 4 from the evidence so far. Liverpool have bigger problems than we have.
    3. The sending off totally ruined the gameplan today, it put us on the back foot and we lost the width when Januzai had to go off. We were going well before that ( the 2 minutes where we coughed up the chances apart). A draw would have been a fantastic result when Smalling went off and we still nearly got it. The chances unfortunately fell to the wrong guy.
    4. DiMaria was not great but we have to get real about his quality. He will be a top player for us and he is still only settling down into the team. It's a big chance from Spain to England.

To those saying Fellani is not good enough, I agree in general. But that does not mean he did not play well today in general play and he should be credited when he plays well. After last week, Mata was never going to start today. Fellani just doesn't have that bit of top quality to separate him from the pack and that shows in the chances he misses. Apart from today, last week against Chelsea, he put a 4 yard header straight at the keeper before the goal. If that was the other way around, RVP would never have scored, because Ivanovic or Terry would have buried the first header. But Fellaini is the best we have at the minute in that particular position so we have to let him get on with it. I'd be more concerned with integrating Carrick back into the team with Herrera where the tactics allow. But it was the right call to play Fellaini today.

Overall I'm not too disappointed to be honest.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    You can't prevent the goalkeeper releasing the ball, he tried to stop him releasing the ball.

Once the keeper kicks the ball thats it released. But you cant interfere with the keeper in his box, which is what Smalling did afair. Balo did it on Saturday and got away with it because Krul had kicked the ball and Balo blocked it from outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Indeed no point being too depressed.

Also , in a way it's unfair to be criticizing individual defenders given the fact they are in and out of the team with injuries and also playing with different team mates.

Jeez, but they need a break with defensive injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

irishfeen wrote: »
    People going totally over the top on Smalling - he got sent off - it happens. Up to the point he got sent off he was doing well and he had a great game v Chelsea.

He got sent off for two idiotic bookings .
    After being booked early on he should have known he had to be careful ,yet he went flying in recklessly when there was no need to even make a tackle.

Utd were well in the game up to that point ,it was the most composed they had looked at the Etihad in many a year.

Dont forgot what happened when he came on against Leicester ,he was a complete liability that day and gave his inexperienced centre back partner Blackett no help at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

irishfeen wrote: »

Which is why we are annoyed. We were doing well, until he got a needless yellow, then dived in on a player 5 minutes later

One word for DeGea - I honesty think he is developing into the best in the world ... imagine a Vidic/Rio defence in their prime in front of him... £17.8 million was the bargain of the century.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement