Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

I like the idea that the management are effectively giving a youth team player long term assurances about his role in the team. It must be great for Blackett to see that if he continues to works hard and play well he can stay in the team especially after the money that has been spent and I imagine will be spent in the future. The danger is that if he's earning 50k a week then he could start thinking he has made it and the hard work will stop. I hope it's only speculation about the amount and he is tied down long term because I think Van Gaal can make him something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I like the idea that the management are effectively giving a youth team player long term assurances about his role in the team. It must be great for Blackett to see that if he continues to works hard and play well he can stay in the team especially after the money that has been spent and I imagine will be spent in the future. The danger is that if he's earning 50k a week then he could start thinking he has made it and the hard work will stop. I hope it's only speculation about the amount and he is tied down long term because I think Van Gaal can make him something special.

Cleverley-itis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

50k a week for Blackett is madness, and shows that United are simply not learning from teh contractual mistakes that have landed us with Anderson on the wage bill for another year.

Have we learned nothing from the summer, papers know feck all I would be shocked if this was the actual figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

50k a week for Blackett is madness, and shows that United are simply not learning from teh contractual mistakes that have landed us with Anderson on the wage bill for another year.

Looks like few people on boards are not learning anything after seeing the various reports of players wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

J. Marston wrote: »
    Cleverley-itis.

Cleverley-done!

yes you have examples where it has backfired but if we lose him and he develops at oh i don't know juventus maby then united are idiots for letting him go. if lvg sees something in him i have full faith he's worth the investment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

yes you have examples where it has backfired but if we lose him and he develops at oh i don't know juventus maby then united are idiots for letting him go. if lvg sees something in him i have full faith he's worth the investment
    Meh. If a 19 year old who has played a handful of games and got sent off already wants more money than what United are offering, then leave him off.

No club should be held ransom about wages over a teenager. Blackett isn't special, nor was pogba in the senior games he played. Ya ya ya reserves he was the best.

These players need to realise that a club like United can just go out and buy a better player tomorrow if they wanted. We aren't Doncaster rovers.

More often than not these players just become average players. Pogba being the exception. But the club was right to let him go. And we aren't having a pogba discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

United must have the worst negotiating team in the world. Even though he's out of contract at the end of the season he'd struggle to get even half of his new contract at any other club. Probably a result of paying Shaw 130k a week, set a dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

50 grand is the new 20 grand in footballers wages. I don't really care who gets paid what though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I doubt the 50k is basic if it is accurate at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Speaking of young defenders Moore for Leiciester looks very good. Wouldn't mind a sneaky bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Talk of Hummels again, the latest rumour is a £40 million bid in January.

Reus being linked with a move to Anfield on £200k a week. For a 4-3-3 we should look to him.
    20 plus goals a season when fit, a great signing for whoever gets him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »
    Talk of Hummels again, the latest rumour is a £40 million bid in January.

Reus being linked with a move to Anfield on £200k a week. For a 4-3-3 we should look to him.
    20 plus goals a season when fit, a great signing for whoever gets him..

Can't see us going for Reus, or any player like him - unless we move on a few of the forwards.

With Falcao, Rooney and RVP to play, I just don't see room for another attacking player.

Would be shocked if Hummels was to move in January - we may go for him again in the summer though I suspect. I think a cheap move for Vlaar could be on the cards in January depending on what happens with our CBs over the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Doubt Hummels would come to us unless we get back into the CL

Dortmund to Liverpool is a step down I'd say so I don't think we have to worry much about them getting Reus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Regarding blackett wages, I heard people say the exact same thing about Pogba, he had not played properly etc, not tested really.

If Van Gaal rates him, and loses him at the end of the season then it would cost >£10M to replace him. Perhaps even more considering by that stage Blackett will have a year learning his so called 'philosophy'. Personally I think the £50K a week figure has been dreamt up but he cost nothing and Van Gaal rates him so of course the club want to tie him down. It will probably much closer to the usual £35K a week first contract the club normally offers graduates and let them prove they are worth more.

Lukker- wrote: »
    United must have the worst negotiating team in the world. Even though he's out of contract at the end of the season he'd struggle to get even half of his new contract at any other club. Probably a result of paying Shaw 130k a week, set a dangerous precedent.

I think Shaw is on 200K per week.

Doubt Hummels would come to us unless we get back into the CL

We probably look a better bet for Champions League next season. Dortmund are currently in 13th position with 7 points from 7 games.

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Yeah and I heard he asks for it in £5 notes so he can bathe himself in it.

Dortmund 7 points after 7 games laying in the bottom half of the table. 10 points behind Bayern the league is already over. Bayern are too good i think Dortmund players will soon get bored of playing second fiddle to Bayern.

I think a few of their players may be gettable but Bayern will probably swoop in. But unless their out of the Champions league by Janruary i can't see us getting Hummels.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Thought it was £350,000 a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hummels would join us in a heartbeat and Dortmund are naturally a selling club. I see no reason why it won't happen if we go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

We probably look a better bet for Champions League next season. Dortmund are currently in 13th position with 7 points from 7 games.

Let's review when we get to after Christmas. We still have Chelsea, City and Arsenal to play in the next month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Realistically we could be near bottom of the table after the next 5 games

Dortmund are missing 4 or 5 starters too afaik

Yeah and I heard he asks for it in £5 notes so he can bathe himself in it.

No. He is paid in coins.

uncle-scrooge.jpg
    Thought it was £350,000 a week?

I posted net figures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nothing compared to Rooney's 750,000,000,000.

A week.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Hummels would join us in a heartbeat and Dortmund are naturally a selling club. I see no reason why it won't happen if we go for it.

When did he tell you that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Nuts102 wrote: »
    When did he tell you that?

Don't you know, everybody wants to join us now? If you'd told me at the start of summer 2012 when Hazard fúcked us off that by the end of summer 2014, we would have RVP, Mata, Di Maria and Falcao in our squad I would have laughed in your face.

We have become an attractive club to join again. We have the bones of a potential Champions League winning squad if we could just sort ourselves out at the back and make one or two more midfield signings.

Don't you know, everybody wants to join us now? If you'd told me at the start of summer 2012 when Hazard fúcked us off that by the end of summer 2014, we would have RVP, Mata, Di Maria and Falcao in our squad I would have laughed in your face.

We have become an attractive club to join again. We have the bones of a potential Champions League winning squad if we could just sort ourselves out at the back and make one or two more midfield signings.

One step at a time, lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

One step at a time, lad.

why not?

worse teams have won it.

When have we never not been an attractive club? Are you talking about chadwick?

• Advertisement

why not?

worse teams have won it.

I agree - also, it was said it is the BONES of a CL winning side.

IMO, De Gea, Rafael, Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria, Mata, RVP, Rooney, Falcao are all players either good enough or have the potential to be good enough to be starting and winning CL finals. We improve the central defence and central midfield and there should be no real excuse in terms of general player quality. I like the look of Blind too - but feel he would will be an excellent squad player rather than a top first team starter.

Hummels and Vidal, for example, added in either of the next two windows - or Strootman instead of Vidal as another example, and you have a side that SHOULD be up there at the very top.

As I have been saying for a while now - offensively we have a cracking setup, but it is defensively that we are going to be caught out as we simply don't have a strong enough core to the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The Brazil Vs Argentina game is in doubt due to massive amounts of smog in Beijing!

Wouldn't mind it being called off, protect ADM.

why not?

worse teams have won it.

You have to be in it to win it. We have not looked like a top 4 side so far nevermind being a few players off a Champions league winning side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You have to be in it to win it. We have not looked like a top 4 side so far nevermind being a few players off a Champions league winning side.

only Chelsea have impressed so far though tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

One step at a time, lad.

Why didn't you bold the word POTENTIAL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The Brazil Vs Argentina game is in doubt due to massive amounts of smog in Beijing!

Damn Hybrid Cars

in addition to the talent issues in certain areas of the squad, I really do feel we lack leadership and character. LVG mentioned it recently himself, and said it was an issue with the transition we are having - new leaders and characters need to emerge, and that could take time.

The point currently remains though - and is highlighted by the captaincy discussions had earlier in the summer. RVP and Rooney were really the only two candidates, almost regardless of whether you feel Rooney is a good candidate for captaincy.

DDG shows no real leadership or command of his defence. None of the senior defenders have done so either in their careers so far. Now arguably they were simply defering to Vidic and Rio and will step up now in their abscence; but we need to actually see it.

In midfield I believe Herrera and Blind were leaders of their previous teams - so hopefully with time they will bring a leadership and attitude to their game for us. Carrick has always been a bit too passive in this respect. I think Fletcher could be a great leader of the side, but I don't think he has the physicality to make himself a starter, very much due to his illness. Mata seems a great guy, but not a leader of men. Di Maria will lift the side and the fans, but don't know about him as a leader.

Just looking back to the previous big united sides.

Mid 90's had Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Keane, Ince, Cantona.

Early 2000's was kinda lean to be fair. Neville was a good talker. Keane was still there, and Giggs would have commanded respect but I don't think Rio was a leader at that time, nor Silvestre. O'Shea would be a nope imo. Ronaldo certainly not.

Late 00's - Van Der Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Tevez, Rooney, Giggs. Leaders, Characters.

Right now - I would say Rooney, RVP are arguable leaders. Blind could become one based on his Ajax rep. Rafael is a 'character'. Jones? Smalling? Evans? Shaw?

It is something we lack at the moment, and it will take time to come through from the players we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

that's not smog, its smoke from all the weed neymar and dani alves are smoking

bangkok wrote: »
    that's not smog, its smoke from all the weed neymar and dani alves are smoking

Hiding the dilated pupils.

article-2599822-1CF00D3900000578-682_306x313.jpg
    305013_heroa.jpg
    Neymar-y-Dani-Alves_54388512871_54115221152_960_640.jpg
    info_1393515688.jpg

Think Rafael and Jones could be leaders if they ever stayed fit.

• Advertisement

One step at a time, lad.

This post is very similar to how journalist take manager or player's words completely out of context. The post was so simple, it was
    We have the bones of a potential Champions League winning squad if we could just sort ourselves out at the back and make one or two more midfield signings

You highlighted just Champions league winning squad to make it sound as if he is saying we have champions league winning squad.

Very poor.

Think Rafael and Jones could be leaders if they ever stayed fit.

Agree - though I think Raf is too impulsive for captaincy and Jones is a bit dim by accounts. Captaincy aside, they could be leaders and a significant presence in the squad, yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Agree - though I think Raf is too impulsive for captaincy and Jones is a bit dim by accounts. Captaincy aside, they could be leaders and a significant presence in the squad, yep.

And Rooney is guilty of both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

And Rooney is guilty of both of them.

Rooney been sent off what. Once in the last few years. I'd imagine Roo is dim by educational standards but has the footballing intelligence. Hence why he's one of our best ever players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Rooney been sent off what. Once in the last few years.

Prob about the same as Raf tbf. Not saying Raf should be captain now, but you are comparing their discipline so just thought I'd point that out.

Julez wrote: »
    Prob about the same as Raf tbf. Not saying Raf should be captain now, but you are comparing their discipline so just thought I'd point that out.

Rooney has roughly the same number of yellows per game as a Rafael, but Rafael is punching above his weight in reds, 2 in 103 appearances vs Rooney's 2 in 313.

Why are footballers always seem as dim? is just because they didnt go to college?
    I reckon they are like everyone who didnt go to college, pretty normal, but with lots of money to do what they want and learn what they want,so essentially, probably smarter than their peers.

You dont really hear that about GAA players or rugby players.

Julez wrote: »

I'd say Raf probably has 2 or 3 over Rooney but not much. He certainly lacks the influence of Rooney.

Rooney has roughly the same number of yellows per game as a Rafael, but Rafael is punching above his weight in reds, 2 in 103 appearances vs Rooney's 2 in 313.

Rafs been sent off 4 times afair.
    Spurs, Chelsea, Bayern and... I think there's one more there. Someone HELP ME

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Rafs been sent off 4 times afair.
    Spurs, Chelsea, Bayern and... I think there's one more there. Someone HELP ME

This is just Premier League stats. He could be even worse with other competitions added.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement