Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Which is why we are annoyed. We were doing well, until he got a needless yellow, then dived in on a player 5 minutes later
    Yep he was completely stupid but there some on here taking the criticism ridiculously too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I know I'm probably looking at this with Carrick tinted glasses but I liked him at CB. Seemed a calming presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Home to Palace next week then a 14 day break till our next game (Arsenal)

I hate these International breaks, we can get no momentum at all with not having midweek cup games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Once the keeper kicks the ball thats it released. But you cant interfere with the keeper in his box, which is what Smalling did afair. Balo did it on Saturday and got away with it because Krul had kicked the ball and Balo blocked it from outside the box.

There is a specific rule that says its an indirect free kick, if in the referees opinion, a player prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands.

Smalling was purposely changing position to get in his way and raised his leg to obstruct his kick out.

Didn't see Mario so can't compare it, but its open to interpretation by a referee.

Our next 5 fixtures -

Crystal Palace
    Arsenal
    Hull
    Stoke
    Southampton

It would surprise me if we didn't take at least 12 points from them - all very beatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

irishfeen wrote: »
    One word for DeGea - I honesty think he is developing into the best in the world ... imagine a Vidic/Rio defence in their prime in front of him... £17.8 million was the bargain of the century.

Do you remember when he came in? He was abused from all angles.
    Not good enough, not tough enough for the english game, doesnt command his box, blah blah.
    I wonder can any player now who is getting stick turn into a world class player?
    Jones? Shaw? Januazj? Smalling(only 24)????

Fudge You wrote: »
    Not good enough, not tough enough for the english game, doesnt command his box, blah blah.
    I wonder can any player now who is getting stick turn into a world class player?
    Yep I remember it well - he was hounded by the press and opposition fans (mostly Pool fans if I remember correctly) - has given the two fingers back the them and more.

Shaw for me is the one from that lot - there is something about him... I think he could be a massive player for us over the next decade.

B1dXW49IgAEvowb.jpg:large

The sooner this guy hits form the better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whats actually wrong with Falcao? A kick is all I heard, must have been some kick to keep him out for two huge games

• Advertisement

Fudge You wrote: »

People overreact to this though. De gea was criticised here (Some was absolutely unjust) but a large proportion of it was honest criticisms of a player in one of the worlds top teams making mistakes. Your age or potential doesn't excuse you from that. People could still see he had potential. He dropped the ball (Figuratively and literally) a few times, had some howlers.

For that he deserved ire. Similarly players like Jan are getting stick for bad games, the same way Ronaldo did. Looking back and saying it wasn't warrented isn't true (Obviously some people here take hyperbole to a whole other level)

kryogen wrote: »
    Whats actually wrong with Falcao? A kick is all I heard, must have been some kick to keep him out for two huge games
    I actually think he possibly could have played but LVG is holding him back not to rush him back too quickly - he will only play him if he 100% I recon. Realistically we will need him firing on all cylinders to push up the table.

DM_7 wrote: »
    There is a specific rule that says its an indirect free kick, if in the referees opinion, a player prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands.

Smalling was purposely changing position to get in his way and raised his leg to obstruct his kick out.

Didn't see Mario so can't compare it, but its open to interpretation by a referee.

Now I might be wrong but afair Solskjaer got a yellow v Middlesborough years back for taking the ball off the toe of a keeper when he went to kick it out and it was clarified after that the keeper's "releasing the ball" is all one action that culminates with him kicking the ball, so from there its fair game. But you can't afair, interfere with the ball before it has left the penalty box of the keeper. Unless he kicks it off the ground.

All really a pointless argument anyways. I think we can both agree Smalling is a spazrabbit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Our next 5 fixtures -

Crystal Palace
    Arsenal
    Hull
    Stoke
    Southampton

It would surprise me if we didn't take at least 12 points from them - all very beatable.

You'd have said the same about our first six games of the season, and they ended up being largely an unmitigated disaster.

Why is Van Gaal getting such an easy ride? The results are worse than under Moyes. Our defence is a shambles. Any good moments tend to be just the product of some individual good play rather than us overwhelming the opposition with quality play.

Where is the light at the end of the tunnel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Smalling is a terrible player ,poor technically and poor mentally too ,he is a championship player at best ,nowhere near the standard required for Utd. Utd were well in that game until that cabbage got sent off

Slight overreaction but yeah that's the norm from some posters after a disappointing result.

You'd have said the same about our first six games of the season, and they ended up being largely an unmitigated disaster.

Why is Van Gaal getting such an easy ride? The results are worse than under Moyes. Our defence is a shambles. Any good moments tend to be just the product of some individual good play rather than us overwhelming the opposition with quality play.

You talk an insufferable amount of bollox

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

B1dXW49IgAEvowb.jpg:large

The sooner this guy hits form the better :)

But can he do a job at centre-half?

Are you honestly telling me you think Van Gaal is to blame for the state of out defence??

... and BTW not all of us were against Moyes - I tirelessly defended the man and still do to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There is actually signs of improvement under Van Gaal and he is building his own individual squad which Moyes was unable to do. The performances are gradually improving. The only thing that's really letting us down is our defence which is an absolute shambles. The likes of Smalling and Evans are not first team quality and Rojo and Shaw have yet to prove themselves.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that performances have improved and we have a world class manager who is building his own team with a massive financial backing behind him. There have been some shocking results but a lot of this is owing to our woeful back-line (the Sunderland game aside where EVERYONE was in Moyes mode for some reason).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

beno619 wrote: »
    Slight overreaction but yeah that's the norm from some posters after a disappointing result.

enemies.jpg

Seriously though ,Smalling is a complete liability .
    Its imperative that we get a quality centre back in January .

Are you honestly telling me you think Van Gaal is to blame for the state of out defence??

... and BTW not all of us were against Moyes - I tirelessly defended the man and still do to an extent.

Well, yes actually for not strengthening enough in that area. Who is to blame if the defence is sh1te other than the manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Was thinking the same. Hope it's nothing serious.

I want to see him get more game time. We need a striker to hit some form and RVP, although working very hard, is still a bit away from that. Worth giving Falcao a run to see what he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

B1dbcETCEAABPGo.png

How have we gone from the most feared side in England to a rabble lurching from one disaster to the next? Standards were allowed to slip by Sir Alex Ferguson and this has continued under Moyes and Van Gaal. Not appointing Jose Mourinho in 2013 could be one of the biggest mistakes in the club's history. We have brought in a few mercenaries who can deliver moments of individual brilliance but there very little coherence in our play.

What makes a player a mercenary? When are they not? Why are they not allowed move for money?

• Advertisement

So frustrating to see some users get infracted while others just skirt the edges and manage to be a pain in the bollix while escaping action

*Awaits victim card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This is an ever growing list of injuries in just a few short months.:(

B1cvJ-_IEAA75-C.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Smallng had a real brain fart today and looked very foolish but there is still a place for him at UTD. I think once he matures mentally he will be a top CB. Vidic was sent off many times too.

Rooney played with great passion today and despite a few poor early passes was our biggest threat.

The nonsene written about Fellaini being good is a sign of how our standards as UTD fans have dropped is rubbish. Fellaini is looking good next to Rooney, Di Marai, RVP, Toure, Ageuro, Fabregas etc etc... He looks like a good signing for us now.

Clearly united are the only team in the world not using EPO.

Was right about Valencia today: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92864717&postcount=57

The missus arrived in for the 2nd half,Val got up the line with 10 yards of space & I told her to wait & see him smash the ball off a defender,of course waited to be closed down and bang,hits the defender in the shins.
    He's an absolute liability in any kind of attacking situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

So frustrating to see some users get infracted while others just skirt the edges and manage to be a pain in the bollix while escaping action

*Awaits victim card
    Maybe it wouldn't hurt so much if there wasn't some truth to what he is saying..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

zerks wrote: »
    Was right about Valencia today: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92864717&postcount=57

The missus arrived in for the 2nd half,Val got up the line with 10 yards of space & I told her to wait & see him smash the ball off a defender,of course waited to be closed down and bang,hits the defender in the shins.
    He's an absolute liability in any kind of attacking situation.

9 times out of ten he goes for that ridiculous 'blast it along the ground and hope for the best' cross. He's a walking parody of a once good player.

The nonsene written about Fellaini being good is a sign of how our standards as UTD fans have dropped is rubbish. Fellaini is looking good next to Rooney, Di Marai, RVP, Toure, Ageuro, Fabregas etc etc... He looks like a good signing for us now.

Fellaini is doing a good job.
    Last week against Chelsea and up until the sending off today ,the Utd midfield was on top something almost unheard of for the last few years in matches against City and Chelsea .

Its refreshing to see the Utd midfield take the initiative instead of just trying to sit back against the bigger teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

K4t wrote: »
    Maybe it wouldn't hurt so much if there wasn't some truth to what he is saying..

There isn't. Everyone knows there isn't and people are getting infracted for rising to it. The sort of nonsense that I'm sure some people find hilarious but for most it's a pain in the arse and drives people away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

KH25 wrote: »
    9 times out of ten he goes for that ridiculous 'blast it along the ground and hope for the best' cross. He's a walking parody of a once good player.

The try and drill the ball through the defender trick

It has yet to work.

K4t wrote: »

Oh no, I'm obviously a troll because instead of swallowing the line that "everything's great", I highlight the disgraceful goings on at the club.

Can someone explain to me what precisely Di Maria was trying to do with those two corners at the end?

Didn't have to wait too long.

Oh no, I'm obviously a troll because instead of swallowing the line that "everything's great", I highlight the disgraceful goings on at the club.

Can someone explain to me what precisely Di Maria was trying to do with those two corners at the end?

It's the Giggs effect,he played at the club for over 2 decades & still couldn't take a corner,obviously he's helping in training & corners are a part of this.Nani suffered from this disease until he moved clubs,now Di Maria is catching it.

adox wrote: »
    There isn't. Everyone knows there isn't and people are getting infracted for rising to it. The sort of nonsense that I'm sure some people find hilarious but for most it's a pain in the arse and drives people away.

What exactly are you talking about? Genuinely. Are you so blind when it comes to Manchester United that you can't see the club's repairable flaws? Or would you just prefer this thread to be a Manchester United love in where we go on about how great we are and occasionally argue with Liverpool fans in match threads?

My only interest is our club dominating England and winning back to back European Cups and breaking Liverpool's record of five. Anything that gets in the way of that (e.g. Moyes, Fellaini, etc) needs to be lanced.

You arent a troll, just very hyperbolic and cant accept fellaini played well among other things. Its blind frustration on your part. I like your outrageous outbursts.

For the corners, he was trying to get it just over the head of the first place because this is the most dangerous area to put the ball in a corner.

• Advertisement

Didn't have to wait too long.

Here is a picture to cheer you up

Edit, that came out massive http://i.imgur.com/2wq7Kaf.jpg?1

It's the Giggs effect,he played at the club for over 2 decades & still couldn't take a corner,obviously he's helping in training & corners are a part of this.Nani suffered from this disease until he moved clubs,now Di Maria is catching it.

Look at any other team, its what they all try to do, drop the ball behind the first player, drags the keeper across the goal

For the corners, he was trying to get it just over the head of the first place because this is the most dangerous area to put the ball in a corner.

He hit about an inch behind the ball on some of those corners,they were complete miskicks.

I dont understand why players cant kick a corner or free kick cleanly ,there really is no excuse for it especially with the high quality pitches nowadays.

You arent a troll, just very hyperbolic and cant accept fellaini played well among other things. Its blind frustration on your part. I like your outrageous outbursts.

It is frustration. We have much of the raw material that we need to succeed. But we keep making a bollo.ks of it. The back four is a shambles and when anyone gets injured the backup is shocking. And Van Gaal is starting to really worry me. That isn't trolling. With easier games, the results are worse for f..k sake.

We should have appointed Mourinho. The man was born to manage Manchester United.

A guy I know is a staunch City fan,not a peep out of him the last couple of weeks & today he's polluting the whole internet along with his mates.One got called out for doing nothing but mention United all day,they win & are still obsessed with us.

A guy I know is a staunch City fan,not a peep out of him the last couple of weeks & today he's polluting the whole internet along with his mates.One got called out for doing nothing but mention United all day,they win & are still obsessed with us.

Guy in my class in college is the same, albeit he's from Manchester. But **** me, he put up a status there earlier saying United were "dirty *****" for bookings/sending offs, and proclaimed how we'll never win another title :confused:

Because no one is saying everything is great. But there are certainly positives. We have a good 11. One of the worlds best keepers. For left back we have Shaw (Great performances today and v Chelsea) Rojo, Blind and Evans can all play there. Very good deputies.

At CB we have (When fit) some good options but we're missing a commanding CB to take charge of the defence. Between Evans, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Mc Nair(Fantastic prospect), Blackett (also great potential from this lad) We have good options and depth at CB (granted they are all currently unfit.) Carrick can also play CB as evidenced in the past few seasons and today and he is another important player back in the team.

Right back we are shy on as Raf is v good but injury prone (People can nark on about his rashness/petulance but he is rarely ever sent off, 3 in 100+ games) Valencia/Jones/Smalling are poor backups for the position and here we obviously need to sign someone.

For once in about eleventy billion years we actually have a semi functional midfield. Daley Blind is getting better and better, Rooney showed he is well capable of dropping deep and still putting in a great performance against a top side. Herrera has been a good signing and (you're gonna love this one) Fellaini has been our best player for the last three games! In midfield. Isn't that great Larry, aren't you so happy that a player that plays for the club you support has sought to throw off the criticisms levelled at him by the 'fans' of the club and started putting in top class performances. Carrick is back and will likely be featuring at some point. But for once our midfield isnt nonexistent. Its just a bit light.

Now this is great. In attack we have Radamel Falcao. One of the world's best strikers just recovered from a bad injury. Wayne Rooney consistently our best player over the bast 5-10 years. Juan Manuel Mata García, a simply gorgeous wee lad from Spain with a touch so deft he could give you a footjob, still wearing his boots and probably get you off. Angel Di Maria who is simply a phenomenal player and has, by all accounts, hit the ground running in a side very much in transition after two managerial changes in one year. RvP has yet to hit form and granted his form looks worrying at times. Januzaj is another great young prospect but might need time at another club or a short break from the first team.

As for the performances, in spite of two somewhat underwhelming results (1-1 at home v Chelsea and 1-0 away v City) the team has actually started, performing. The defensive display today with a back four held together with ducktape and staples was admirable given the mitigating circumstances. I wanted to give Moyes more time. I always felt the players never bought into him as the manager. You can't deny the team started better than this team but they absolutely did not play as well and you can actively see a big change in the way the team sets up and plays. Its generally more enjoyable, exciting and there are plan Bs (Unlike that game with the eleventy million crosses, none of which we scored from)

As for Di Maria. I believe he was trying to cross them into the box but underhit both of them (Shocking as no footballer in the history of the world has ever underhit two successive crosses ever. )

We had City actually sh1tting themselves in the closing stages despite us only having ten men.This is a stark comparison to last season when we looked so inept it was as if the players had just discovered football.
    Yes we lost but the performance was a hell of a lot better than what we saw before.The results may not be going our way but we can see the improvement in areas of the pitch that were suffering badly.Of course LVG should have bought a top CB but I'm sure he looked at what we had & thought he could bring them on,pity they proved to be made of glass or suffer from brain farts at regular occasions.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement