Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Jesus lads. Is this debate over two mi**** corners? Little to be at :pac:

It was three actually. :P

Footballers do stupid things. So do coaches. For example pushing up when the opposition has a goal kick is an awful idea and yet professional teams still do it.

I don't think the argument of "Oh well a club as big as this knows best!" works. Taking corners like that is, in my own opinion, a poor option.

It's not a slight on Di Maria's ability....I just don't think anybody is good enough to whip it in at that pace with consistency. When both your centre halves are up the pitch, consistency in delivery is what you want.

My take on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    His corners have been very poor in most cases. In contrast, I dont believe that strikers should take corners but Rooney's corners were amazing when he was taking them for a while.

Ashley Young takes a good CK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    His corners have been very poor in most cases. In contrast, I dont believe that strikers should take corners but Rooney's corners were amazing when he was taking them for a while.

Di Maria actually put in a few good dead balls in the same game. But you'll only get people focusing on what is a "Good Corner" if we score, or nearly score from them. His dead balls in general yesterday were okay. Some good some bad. AFAIR he put two or three on Fellaini's head/Chest.

There's a lot being made over two underhit corners in a row but it happens sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

ronjo wrote: »
    Are the hated less now the have spent a lot?

I would say they are, the vast majority of the complaints were about restricted spending, that complaint is gone out the window now so you won't hear much about them.

You have to admire the way they have increased revenue by so much whatever way you feel about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

To be fair to di maria there arent many players who take consistently good corners in football these days. Fabregas took some terrible corners against us last week

I would say they are, the vast majority of the complaints were about restricted spending, that complaint is gone out the window now so you won't hear much about them.

You have to admire the way they have increased revenue by so much whatever way you feel about them.

I think that spending came after failing to reach top 4. Spending to protect their asset. I highly doubt that money would have been available had Moyes scraped 4th spot.

If's and but's but it wasn't there to spend the previous summer....what made this one different? 7 league places is the answer.

Which was my point really. It's a lot easier to aim for the penalty spot than trying to be precise at the near post. Aim for the middle and give yourself the biggest margin for error.

At least on the ones you miss hit still have a chance of falling to a red shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Di Marias corners were poor yesterday and margin of error is small but some of those deliveries hit the first man's knees. No excuses for that! That being said it's better to have him taking them than Rooney or RVP. Dunno how this topic lasted 3 pages though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Kirby wrote: »
    Which was my point really. It's a lot easier to aim for the penalty spot than trying to be precise at the near post. Aim for the middle and give yourself the biggest margin for error.

At least on the ones you miss hit still have a chance of falling to a red shirt.

Sounds like you've cracked it. Maybe you should contact the clubs and make your case to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trilla wrote: »
    Is Smalling (obviously), Jones, Evans, Blackett, Rojo and Rafael all out of the Crystal Palace game?

its possible that all of them are out yes, but hopefully 2 of them are back. with our disaster injury rate, you wouldnt be surprised if all of them were missing :(

valencia at RB yesterday was painful, had he not been ball watching and held his position close to Milner, Smalling wouldnt have had to be diving in like that.

surprising Daley Blind wasnt put in at center back yesterday and Carrick in CM, very surprising in fact.

Valencia Mcnair Carrick Shaw i guess would be our likely line up the next day, but Evans is down as being back for next week on Physioroom anyway. anybody know if he was back training last week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

How bad is Rojo, haven't seen much said after he was stretchered off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

its possible that all of them are out yes, but hopefully 2 of them are back. with our disaster injury rate, you wouldnt be surprised if all of them were missing :(

valencia at RB yesterday was painful, had he not been ball watching and held his position close to Milner, Smalling wouldnt have had to be diving in like that.

surprising Daley Blind wasnt put in at center back yesterday and Carrick in CM, very surprising in fact.

Valencia Mcnair Carrick Shaw i guess would be out likely line up the next day, but Evans is down as being for for next week on Physioroom anyway. anybody know if he was back training last week?

I thought Carrick at CB looked v good and v calming on the defence. Granted its a sample size of about 20-30 minutes. But with Blind being a lot more mobile I'd gladly take Carrick as a makeshift CB when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

duffman13 wrote: »
    How bad is Rojo, haven't seen much said after he was stretchered off

He tweeted this last night

https://twitter.com/marcosrojo5/status/529050947407069185

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

that lad is so much off his head that a broken collarbone in his opinion, is nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Great day of sport next Saturday -

Liverpool v Chelsea - 12.45 (BT)
    United v Palace - 3.00 (Setanta)
    Ireland v South Africa - 5.30 (RTÉ)

... Could be a great day :) ... We need 3 points - anything else absolutely not worth contemplating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

How I picture Rojo in the hospital

aDR8n8LtMe24DGJv3gzIk7az1cWLD-zIR0EE4zqIj6Rpg_mT1N6z1DaqD5sEsCIVDwQLKnb43zl2IiRo7Bb8X9LRg7XURXOLPZtVFYsFXnFFT731Uloqv7JG9nnJ0nS9=w350-h400-nc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

that lad is so much off his head that a broken collarbone in his opinion, is nothing!

Was that confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Was that confirmed?

I thought it was a dislocated shoulder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Di Maria's free kicks are definitely better than his corners, but United's corners have been pretty abysmal for a good while now. They miss the mark a lot of the time and when they do go into the right area nobody gets on to them. I'm not convinced it was any better with RVP taking them and he's probably better off in the box given that he's reasonably tall, good with his head and a goalscorer.

RVP started of well whipped in with pace ect. Then he just started lobbing them at the far post and they were ineffective as illustrated already in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Januzaj has been a pale shadow of the player he was when he came on the scene a year ago. Looks totally lost out there, 3 starts and no contribution of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

kstand wrote: »
    Januzaj has been a pale shadow of the player he was when he came on the scene a year ago. Looks totally lost out there, 3 starts and no contribution of note.

He looks the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think that spending came after failing to reach top 4. Spending to protect their asset. I highly doubt that money would have been available had Moyes scraped 4th spot.

If's and but's but it wasn't there to spend the previous summer....what made this one different? 7 league places is the answer.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, the restricted spending argument can't be used against them now so you won't hear much about them, the way it came about is irrelevant.

kstand wrote: »
    He really needs to be loaned out in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

keane2097 wrote: »
    He looks the same.

He has moments of class but his decision making lets him down, he dwells when he should be putting the ball in quickly and sometimes its as if he is only playing with himself on the pitch.

I can't fathom why we let Nani go but hold onto and start Adnan, perplexing to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Well actually that isn't true.

Moyes said recently that he was close to bringing in a couple of big names last Summer. It was reported by reliable sources that they had outbid Real for Bale. The money was there, there was just problems with spending it, probably down to Moyes being very cautious and meticulous as well as Woodward being a novice in his role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He has moments of class but his decision making lets him down, he dwells when he should be putting the ball in quickly and sometimes its as if he is only playing with himself on the pitch.

I can't fathom why we let Nani go but hold onto and start Adnan, perplexing to say the least.
    One was frustrating and has been for about 5 years of his time at Untied, doing very little in the last two.

The other is frustrating, but 19 years old.

I don't find it perplexing at all. Give youth a chance, and some patience.

https://twitter.com/lukeshaw3/status/529282093843759105

Settling in nicely, great few games from the young fella. I hope Smalling applogised to all the lads at half time, we were well capable of winning that game yesterday.

Blatter wrote: »
    Well actually that isn't true.

Moyes said recently that he was close to bringing in a couple of big names last Summer. It was reported by reliable sources that they had outbid Real for Bale. The money was there, there was just problems with spending it, probably down to Moyes being very cautious and meticulous as well as Woodward being a novice in his role.

I've read/been told Woodward was very confident of landing either Bale or Ronaldo, but failed on both counts, and we really should have been able to secure Fabregas last summer, the leg work had been done.

Woodward came through with some big name signings this summer, but he failed the previous one.

Fingers crossed he can come through with the right signings (some defenders/leaders please) in the next two windows as we are still very short in some key areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ian Herbert reported that Rojo might be out for 6 months.

ian herbert @ianherbs
    Manchester United's Marcos Rojo could be out for up to six months after shoulder dislocation http://ind.pn/1Ed5cUg #mufc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph 4m4 minutes ago
    Manchester United's Marcos Rojo could face three months out if shoulder injury is as bad as initially feared

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Ian Herbert reported that Rojo might be out for 6 months.

ian herbert @ianherbs

A bad dislocation should be around 3 months max, can be a lot quicker. 6 months seems like an insane prognosis for a dislocated shoulder.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph 4m4 minutes ago

would say Ogden more on the money here than Herbert - but would still say 3 months is a worse case scenario.

wonder if either Jones or Evans will be available for the weekend, could do with an actual centre back. At the moment we are looking at playing the defence that finished yesterday (no idea about Rafael).

But of course no one could have guessed injury sicknotes Jones, Evans and Smalling would be injured this season. Good forward thinking lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Why would a dislocated shoulder take so long. Have never had it or known anyone who had it.

Has lethal weapon lied to me? Can't he just hit off smallings head and fix it that way?

Lvg really must be too old for this ****

The odd moment of skill, terrible decision making and an unwillingness to pass the ball unless there's no other option sounds like the same Januzaj as last year to me.

A bad dislocation should be around 3 months max, can be a lot quicker. 6 months seems like an insane prognosis for a dislocated shoulder.

Bryan Robson used to dislocate his shoulder a few times but I can't remember how long he used to be out for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cech was out for over 2months recovering from a dislocated shoulder after the UCL semi final with Atletico.

Its very possible to be out for that long from such an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking forward to Neville and Carragher later on MNF,Smalling will get some going over.

Was reading this earlier on, a piece by the Stretty News lads

http://strettynews.com/stats-table-dont-tell-story-uniteds-recovery/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU!?

B1hxYD8CMAEZfZj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've known a couple of people that dislocated their shoulders playing rugby and they were only out a couple of weeks. But I'm no physio, maybe there are different levels of severity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

One was frustrating and has been for about 5 years of his time at Untied, doing very little in the last two.

The other is frustrating, but 19 years old.

I don't find it perplexing at all. Give youth a chance, and some patience.
    It really had more to do with Nani being (edit) unhappy here, I reckon - especially in terms of holding in to Young and Valencia ahead of him. I would love to know why he was so marginalised the last two years mind you (just 24 status and 10 subs appearances total), though my guess is we will never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Cech was out for over 2months recovering from a dislocated shoulder after the UCL semi final with Atletico.

Its very possible to be out for that long from such an injury.

I would say it also depends on where and how you play as well - a winger, attacking fullback or #10 type player might be able to risk coming back earlier, but a CB, Andy Carroll type target man, or especially a goalkeeper would have to make sure it was completely healed before returning.

I've known a couple of people that dislocated their shoulders playing rugby and they were only out a couple of weeks. But I'm no physio, maybe there are different levels of severity.

There definitely are. I think there's a membrane/meniscus in there somewhere that if the shoulder comes out badly enough can be torn which would need a serious enough operation to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You learn something new every day. I would have guess in my expert opinion that he gets to hospital, they reduce the swelling, put it back in, reduce the swelling and bruising and he does a few exercises on his shoulder.

He won't be able to have a ****. Poor guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Billy86 wrote: »
    I would say it also depends on where and how you play as well - a winger, attacking fullback or #10 type player might be able to risk coming back earlier, but a CB, Andy Carroll type target man, or especially a goalkeeper would have to make sure it was completely healed before returning.

doesn't matter where you play, no player is coming back unless it is 100% healed as it can happen easily again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He won't be able to have a ****. Poor guy.

It's only the one shoulder gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Wasn't Brian O Driscoll out for 6/7 months when he dislocated his on the Lions Tour in 2005? Granted his was as nasty as I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Rojo's father has said he'll only miss 2 or 3 games.

Total injuries for this season now at 35 apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Bryan Robson used to dislocate his shoulder a few times but I can't remember how long he used to be out for!

Men are wimps these days compared to the likes of Robbo in the 80's, he probably used the Mel Gibson/Lethal Weapon method for dealing with dislocated shoulders...

• Advertisement

Rojo's father has said he'll only miss 2 or 3 games.

Total injuries for this season now at 35 apparently!
    What the hell is the story with the injury at all - Rojo seems to think he himself is fine... strange old one.

2 CB's in January I think are now on the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement