Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Wasn't Brian O Driscoll out for 6/7 months when he dislocated his on the Lions Tour in 2005? Granted his was as nasty as I've seen.

After been speared tackled by 2 new Zealand player's, I'm surprised he wasn't out for 6/7 year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

irishfeen wrote: »
    What the hell is the story with the injury at all - Rojo seems to think he himself is fine... strange old one.

2 CB's in January I think are now on the way.

Who though?
    People keep harping on about Hummells, I have my doubts - have a feeling that he's a bit too slow. We'd all love Varane but not a hope of that happening.
    So who else out there is good enough? Mangala was raved about at one point and he cant even get a game ahead of Demichelis at Man City. There aren't too many Vidics out there right now. Goes to show the mistake it was to let him go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hummels is injured again, would fit right in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

We didn't leave him go, he left. He is strong white independent Serbian who don't owe a club anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

D-FENS wrote: »
    Men are wimps these days compared to the likes of Robbo in the 80's, he probably used the Mel Gibson/Lethal Weapon method for dealing with dislocated shoulders...

Robson had just about every injury you could possibly get, at one stage or another.

A superior version of Phil jones, sort of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kstand wrote: »
    Januzaj has been a pale shadow of the player he was when he came on the scene a year ago. Looks totally lost out there, 3 starts and no contribution of note.

i think apart from 1 or 2 flashes around this time last season, he has been really poor. his performances have been totally over rated, because of his age.

he has a huge amount of developing to do, of course this is normal considering how old he is but i think at this point in time, he is not up to the level that is needed.

We didn't leave him go, he left. He is strong white independent Serbian who don't owe a club anything.

he left because of Moyes , but we left his contract run down and that was very very poor from the club. we only offer one year contracts to players over 30 once their deal runs out and Vidic wanted a 3 year deal - the club didnt give it and he left. id be pretty sure had we tied him into a 2 year deal last year, instead of a one year deal, he would not have left especially with Moyes getting the boot.

now you could look at it another way and say that if he really wanted to stay, he would have and if one year rolling contracts were good enough for Rio, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs and Van Der Sar, then Vidic should have accepted the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Who though?
    People keep harping on about Hummells, I have my doubts - have a feeling that he's a bit too slow. We'd all love Varane but not a hope of that happening.
    So who else out there is good enough? Mangala was raved about at one point and he cant even get a game ahead of Demichelis at Man City. There aren't too many Vidics out there right now. Goes to show the mistake it was to let him go.

Vidic has been terrible this season by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sentiment has its place but you cant let heart rule the head. Vidic was past his best. A one year deal was the right option and he didn't accept it. That's football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Who though?

Ginter at Dortmund is gonna be a star, hope UTD. go for him. Godin, David Abraham, Joel Matip etc. There are a quite a few players that are better options than most of our CB's. Unfortunate injury to Rojo but he has impressed IMO.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Sentiment has its place but you cant let heart rule the head. Vidic was past his best. A one year deal was the right option and he didn't accept it. That's football.

Vidic still has plenty to offer IMO, if you are judging him on last season then you could say 22 of our squad were past their best.

id rather have him around right now than the injury hit trio we have. he probably has played more game time in the league, than 4 or 5 of our centerbacks combined and that sort of solidity is what we need right now

with no cup or euro football, this season could have been ideal for Vidic and if i could take back one player who left, it would be him. people keep saying he has been poor for Inter, so what. theres no guarantee he'd have been that bad for us and maybe just maybe, he is regretting leaving united and isnt fully commited or happy in Milan.

yeah, I kinda agree with Homer for once. If he wanted to leave by himself, then fair enough, he is just like us.

But if they club wouldnt budge on their negative policy for over 30 year olds, even though they have been among our better players in the last 5 years, giggs,scholes,vidic, ferdinand, VDS, its kinda annoying they couldnt bend it, or be flexible. Its a stupid rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Aye, only offering a 1 year deal for Vidic while Valencia got a new 3 year deal at the start of this season while nani got a new 5 year deal at the start of last season makes completely no sense when no replacement had been signed up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

On the shoulder dislocation recovery time. I did mine in kick boxing and it took nearly a year to get it right. It's not just the repair work, it's the building up of the supporting structure around it that adds to the recovery time. It might feel fine but it could still be prone to dislocate again without the proper strengthening work done after surgery and recovery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

A question for the Van Gaal fans...

Compared to Moyes, Van Gaal has obtained worse results with a far bigger outlay and with far easier games. So how exactly is he doing a good job? Because Angel Di Maria looks world class? Neil Warnock would have signed Angel Di Maria.

Let's call a spade a spade...Van Gaal's reign has been disastrous using the only metrics that counts - Results and points on the board. The sad fact is that we've spent hundreds of millions and yet the only guys that you'd want to build a team around are De Gea, Shaw (possibly), Di Maria, Blind and Rooney (with the jury still out on Falcao). We've spent more than City for God's sake and we're still miles off where we need to be.

A question for the Van Gaal fans...

Compared to Moyes, Van Gaal has obtained worse results with a far bigger outlay and with far easier games. So how exactly is he doing a good job? Because Angel Di Maria looks world class? Neil Warnock would have signed Angel Di Maria.

Let's call a spade a spade...Van Gaal's reign has been disastrous using the only metrics that counts - Results and points on the board. The sad fact is that we've spent hundreds of millions and yet the only guys that you'd want to build a team around are De Gea, Shaw (possibly), Di Maria, Blind and Rooney (with the jury still out on Falcao). We've spent more than City for God's sake and we're still miles off where we need to be.

You keep banging that drum, that question has been answered a million times. We know where you stand, you know where we stand. We disagree. Give it a fúcking rest please.

Sacramento wrote: »
    You keep banging that drum, that question has been answered a million times. We know where you stand, you know where we stand. We disagree. Give it a fúcking rest please.

No it hasn't...

Mediocrity is being accepted by United fans...mediocrity that would never have been tolerated by Alex Ferguson in his prime.

Robson had just about every injury you could possibly get, at one stage or another.

A superior version of Phil jones, sort of

Kevin Moran was another warrior. I remember him being stretchered off at villa park in a cup semi with blood pouring from his head and giving the thumbs up to the applauding fans whilst being carried off, he was tough!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Kevin Moran was another warrior. I remember him being stretchered off at villa park in a cup semi with blood pouring from his head and giving the thumbs up to the applauding fans whilst being carried off, he was tough!

Not according to Fergie :p

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Wilson with another goal in the U21's.

https://vine.co/v/OOPvjgwwahO

1-0 up.

• Advertisement

My lord, what was the keeper at?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No it hasn't...

Not being a Utd fan and being totally impartial, I think I can answer this.

For me the jury's still out on Van Gaal but Utd seem to be moving in the right direction.

The start was really Moyes' best bit and it just got steadily worse. I think that's because he tried to be Fergie MK II and it just slowly unravels.

LVG seems to have his own ideas and notions and he's busy putting his stamp on the club.

You have to believe in him. I mean what's the alternatives - new manager get 10 games before they're moved on?

For the record, I don't think LVG is all that but give him 2/3 years and he'll steady the ship and get you in the CL again.

gosplan wrote: »
    Not being a Utd fan and being totally impartial, I think I can answer this.

For me the jury's still out on Van Gaal but Utd seem to be moving in the right direction.

The start was really Moyes' best bit and it just got steadily worse. I think that's because he tried to be Fergie MK II and it just slowly unravels.

LVG seems to have his own ideas and notions and he's busy putting his stamp on the club.

You have to believe in him. I mean what's the alternatives - new manager get 10 games before they're moved on?

For the record, I don't think LVG is all that but give him 2/3 years and he'll steady the ship and get you in the CL again.

Good post.

I just see very little to make me believe. Money was thrown at the problem, but anyone can do that. The five at the back thing was there and then it was gone. It's difficult to see what type of style we're trying to play. The jury's still out on a number of the purchases and areas that required strengthening seem to have been ignored.

The sad fact is that the right manager (Jose) was available in 2013 but we went a crazy route instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Robson99

Who though?

Subotic, Howedes, Godin, Cheillini or Garay would be cheaper and possibly pound for pound better value than Hummels and possibly easier to sign imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was watching Neville there,he was on about RVP making runs and his team mates not picking him out,he said Utd have to start getting the ball quicker into him,he also pointed out that Blind has to start looking for RVP runs more instead of taking the safe option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No it hasn't...

Mediocrity is being accepted by United fans...mediocrity that would never have been tolerated by Alex Ferguson in his prime.

It has been answered. Over and over and over it has. Yet you never reply to it, and ask the question again a few days later. Get it answered, don't reply, ask the question again a few days later. Get it answered, don't reply, ask again a few days later. Get it...

No it hasn't...

Yeah yeah yeah.. It has been answered, you just don't read it or pretend not to. We don't agree with your mediocrity statement. There's signs that things are moving in the right direction, progress and style of play, and this is in direct contrast to the Moyes era. You don't agree, that's grand, I don't care. There you go answered. Can you stop asking now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The big difference I can see is that the team actually seem give a sh1te this season,they were just going through the motions last season.

If the spirit stays high in the squad and they keep working then results will improve.

And it would be great if the injury curse would just jog on.

The big difference I can see it that the team actually seem give a sh1te this season,they were just going through the motions last season.

If the spirit stays high in the squad and they keep working then results will improve.

And it would be great if the injury curse would just jog on.

Another good point, agreed, the motivation LVG instills in the players is another huge improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Plenty to be positive about though so far this season

The attitude seems to be back. Yesterday while we did not get anything the fight and spirit.
    We look a dangerous when we are in attack. The pace we play at is much better then last season.
    LVG giving the Youth a chance. He could have easily binned this approach after the Leicester game for example.
    His faith in Fellaini and his mini revial is most welcome.

No question the total points we have is disappointing. But man, people are forgetting the injury list too. I know its mentioned here lot but seems to be shoved away by the disappointed fans so far.

We had Vidic and Rio playing in games we got spanked in last season by likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea come to mind, yet yesterday we only conceded 1 goal, down to 10 men against the Champions, in their back yard, finishing with CB pairing of Carrick and McNair.

The injury list was bad for last 3-4 years but its been off the scale this season. LVG has been unable to have settled team yet. I think even the Special One would find it difficult to get the very best from a group of players where some are still only developing. You got to hand it to LVG for keeping faith with the young lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

You'd swear United were the only team with injuries. Arsenal, West Ham, Newcastle to name a few with weaker squads and injury problems doing at least as well as United

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Good post.

I just see very little to make me believe. Money was thrown at the problem, but anyone can do that. The five at the back thing was there and then it was gone. It's difficult to see what type of style we're trying to play. The jury's still out on a number of the purchases and areas that required strengthening seem to have been ignored.

The sad fact is that the right manager (Jose) was available in 2013 but we went a crazy route instead.

whens vidal signing???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Having watched both Chelsea and City games these are my feelings on things so far this season,only saw highlights of other league games.
    New signings wise Di Maria- is a proven special talent who is getting silly abuse on here for taking a few poor corners yday,Ge has brought a sense of adventure and verve to team,not seen since days of Tevez and Ronaldo.
    Blind- is a steady influence in front of back four but I worry about his lack of pace,goes against him in a race to defend if we are playing a counterattacking team.
    Rojo- has been patchy,tends to either let ball bounce or actually gets on too far under it when facing high balls,prog not helping him to be in such an injury hit defence.
    Falcao- has shown glimpses of his talent but is costing a lot to have sitting in stand injured.
    I think Van Gaal should have put more effort into trying to sign a top CB last Summer rather than just waiting to give all Moyes/Fergies defenders a chance in pre season.People say no one top quality was avail but money talks esp to players agents!...
    Will be interesting to see how Strootman/Vidal story's develop again coming up to Christmas Transfer window.
    IMO if we make CL next yr(which is well doable in a poor enough premiership this yr) Blind would be exposed by the top sides if we had him as our Def midfielder,he's fine as a squad player.
    Re yday game,I thought after 60 mins,Van Gaal should have taken off Van Persie and given Wilson a decent spell on....or taken off RVP,brought Herrera on in midfield and put Rooney up top.
    Re the Van Gaal poor points total after ten games been less than Moyes,Van Gaal has had more injuries to work around,and ultimately will try and play the swashbuckling football Man Utd are known for,not the safe football Moyes excelled at with Everton.

he also pointed out that Blind has to start looking for RVP runs more instead of taking the safe option.

As ive said before, i dont think he has the skillset to do this. Extra shield in front of back 4 is fine and spraying 80 passes a game left and right but we need more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

whens vidal signing???

Its been a while since I've had to remind people but there has been mod warnings about this. Drop it now. Dragging up things from two months ago to get one up on a poster is petty, and this very specific thing has been warned about before. And I remind people as usual, you do not ever have to respond to a poster who you don't like or whose ideology you don't like; if you feel someone needs mod attention, report it. But you don't ever have to respond.

I will also reiterate, however, that while you're allowed to hold any opinion, positive or negative, you are not allowed to soapbox, and you're not allowed to continually push a single message over and over to the point of deliberately antagonizing posters or derailing a thread.

Things have been salty today, with people taking shots at each other. Get over yourselves, think before you post, ignore people or report them if you think they are causing trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

people have to remember, Sir alex ferguson built the club to where it is, the greatest manager the game has ever seen, 26 years, knew every single staff member and made it his business to meet all staff. standards sky high ,never dropping, united were a well oiled machine.

when he dropped the bombshell he was leaving and when he did leave, it was a massive void and shock to everybody, fans included. standards dropped, players felt down, no matter who came in after fergie was always on a hiding to nothing, be it moyes or whoever. we fell that far behind last year that it is going to take at least a year to get back to where we want to be. Top 4 IS the priority this year, get that and with the new adidas deal in place along with champions league football, united will be back challenging for both the league and champions league before too long

Plenty to be positive about though so far this season

The attitude seems to be back. Yesterday while we did not get anything the fight and spirit.

Aye, but we have the same amount of points as Newcastle united.....Newcastle ****ing United with their sack pardew campaign. Jesus christ how have things got so bad. People making excuses about our defenders getting injured....they've been getting injured each year for 3 or 4 years now, this isn't a new occurrence yet we never sorted this in the transfer market.
    We spent 150 million in the summer, the least we should expect is a bit of fight and spirit. We've spent a fortune on players but fans here seem to be happy that we only lost 1 nil. Bloody hell, wake up and smell the coffee lads.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Another good point, agreed, the motivation LVG instills in the players is another huge improvement.

Nebulous stuff in other words.

Where is this motivation evident?

This is our worst start to a season since 1986. And that's with just the league to focus on and a relatively easy run of games to kick off.

And all of this with a fortune spent.

We have made NO progress when you consider all of the above. We have regressed. With the squad he had relative to this one, Moyes did better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That zaha is fair ****ing woeful

Aye, but we have the same amount of points as Newcastle united.....Newcastle ****ing United with their sack pardew campaign. Jesus christ how have things got so bad. People making excuses about our defenders getting injured....they've been getting injured each year for 3 or 4 years now, this isn't a new occurrence yet we never sorted this in the transfer market.
    We spent 150 million in the summer, the least we should expect is a bit of fight and spirit. We've spent a fortune on players but fans here seem to be happy that we only lost 1 nil. Bloody hell, wake up and smell the coffee lads.

Expecting miracles so soon into the season when we're constantly changing personnel is nuts. So what, we're level with Newcastle? Is the league over already? The performances this season are already 10 times better than last season. Results will follow performances where as last year we were praying for a results despite poor performances and absolutely archaic tactics.

We could have addressed the defence more in the summer but LVG obviously felt good going forward with the center halfs we had. We've been decimated at the back all season with Jones injured, Smalling injured, Rojo now injured, Shaw being injured, Blackett suspended, Rafael injured, even bloody McNair picked up an injury at one stage.

We'll invest in January, I've no doubt. Until then I'm still going to enjoy the fact we've a bit of fight and hunger back in the side aswell as playing much better football. People getting on Van Gaal's back already are spoilt by the success we've had through the years. We've no right to win the title every year, but some seem to think we do and demand success right now - despite it being November and LVG warning that his sides are slow starters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nebulous stuff in other words.

Where is this motivation evident.

This is our worst start to a season since 1986. And that's with just the league to focus on and a relatively easy run of games to kick off.

And all of this with a fortune spent.

We have made NO progress when you consider all of the above. We have regressed. With the squad he had relative to this one, Moyes did better.

we will win our next 4 games..... you heard it hear first......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And so we go round and round again with the same stuff over and over
    ani-comments-you-spin-me-right-round.gif

I think ill move to reddevils. Seems to be a bit more sane there at times

Expecting miracles so soon into the season when we're constantly changing personnel is nuts.

Don't think anyone was expecting miracles, just to have more than 13 points after 10 games given the fortune we spent in the summer.

Although being overly optimistic I felt, LVG said at the start of the season that we could challenge for the title, 10 games in and we are already 13 points behind...

Hopefully he gets the team working. I'm sure eventually things will improve but I fear it could be too late. 7 points minimum needed from the palace, arsenal and hull games imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

We will beat Palace, we will beat Arsenal and we will beat Hull.

And so we go round and round again with the same stuff over and over
    ani-comments-you-spin-me-right-round.gif

I think ill move to reddevils. Seems to be a bit more sane there at times

They are a circle jerk and we are a knee jerk circle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kryogen wrote: »
    We will beat Palace, we will beat Arsenal and we will beat Hull.

Arsenal were fairly awesome on Saturday. They didn't score for a while but had a lot of chances and as soon as Ramsey came on they looked incredible. Shaw has been good the last 2 games but Walcott is back now so that's bad.

Don't think anyone was expecting miracles, just to have more than 13 points after 10 games given the fortune we spent in the summer.

Although being overly optimistic I felt, LVG said at the start of the season that we could challenge for the title, 10 games in and we are already 13 points behind...

Hopefully he gets the team working. I'm sure eventually things will improve but I fear it could be too late. 7 points minimum needed from the palace, arsenal and hull games imo.

Look at the games we dropped points in though. Smalling doesn't act completely stupid and reckless and we're more than capable of getting a point yesterday, a poor refereeing decision and Blackett against Leicester ended up costing us 3 points. Those two alone would put us level with Arsenal in the top 4.

Results will follow the performances - which was proved last year - there's only so long you can get away with playing muck and scraping results. The flip side of which is that the more consistent and better we perform, the points will follow.

Liam O wrote: »
    Arsenal were fairly awesome on Saturday. They didn't score for a while but had a lot of chances and as soon as Ramsey came on they looked incredible. Shaw has been good the last 2 games but Walcott is back now so that's bad.

Meh, its Arsenal. Always confident when we play them.

If we had own against Leicester and gotten a win against west brom, this 'meltdown' and justifying it's not a meltdown would never have happened. We would be probably be giving us a chance of winning the league.

I don't think we will ever see 2 those games again so the people freaking out need to understand that. 2 games at the very start of his job and for 6 other players, combine those 6 with the other regular 5 players and it's a brand new team. No wonder they lost against those 2 teams.

There is so many variables to those 2 games. Himself and moyes should not be judged on their first 10 games. From 10 to 20 we will see what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It's kinda funny thought that after years of crying out to improve midfield, we get a midfield that can hold it's own against the top 2 teams in england and then the defence and attack fall apart

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement