Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I saw this is MEN the other day;

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stats-focus-keane-all-time-premier-7897670

Rooney has picked up a lot more yellow cards than I would have thought. At this rate he'll probably be the first player to get 100 yellows.

Rooney has 81 yellow cards, 3 red cards in the Premier League and counting.

For comparison;

Mark Hughes: 70 yellow, 2 red
    Roy Keane: 69 yellow, 7 red
    Nicky Butt: 77 yellow 6 red
    Phil Neville: 82 yellow 3 red
    Paul Scholes: 97 yellow 4 red

..and most carded player in Premier League history?

Lee Bowyer: 99 yellow 5 red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Zico wrote: »
    I saw this is MEN the other day;

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stats-focus-keane-all-time-premier-7897670

Rooney has picked up a lot more yellow cards than I would have thought. At this rate he'll probably be the first player to get 100 yellows.

Rooney has 81 yellow cards, 3 red cards in the Premier League and counting.

For comparison;

Mark Hughes: 70 yellow, 2 red
    Roy Keane: 69 yellow, 7 red
    Nicky Butt: 77 yellow 6 red
    Phil Neville: 82 yellow 3 red
    Paul Scholes: 97 yellow 4 red

..and most carded player in Premier League history?

Lee Bowyer: 99 yellow 5 red

those stats don't tell a true story either, if mark hughes or roy keane were playing now they would have well over 100 yellow cards. game was a lot different back when they were playing, a lot harder to get booked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

A true Red!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhskAyWlsRg

just thought I would share this as well.... a great tackle from king eric!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

bangkok wrote: »

just thought I would share this as well.... a great tackle from king eric!! :eek:

A two footed drop kick on the opposition player and when he is surrounded by protesting players he slaps one of them causing his head to snap back and basically headbutt one of Erics team mates.

So he he basically assaulted two opposition players and inadvertently one of his own team mates.

Yep, that was King Eric alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pretty disgusting tbf

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pretty disgusting tbf

yes it was shocking, I still rate keane's challenge on haaland as the worst and most cowardly tackle in premier league history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

yes it was shocking, I still rate keane's challenge on haaland as the worst and most cowardly tackle in premier league history

That Cantona one is way worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

How have I never seen that before. Crazy tackle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

The one thing about Keanes tackle on Haaland that I can respect us the fact that he admitted it was intentional.

I hate seeing players put in filthy tackles and then say 'oh I didn't mean that'. In a lot of cases it's obvious they knew what they were doing.

It's even worse when you see fans and pundits standing up for the player because 'he's not that type of player'. It doesn't matter! The fact that it happened is enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Welbeck talk > Keane talk

:p

Trilla wrote: »
    Welbeck talk > Keane talk

:p

Nani talk > Welbeck talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Cleverley talk > Nani talk......except if your Pro.F.

KH25 wrote: »
    The one thing about Keanes tackle on Haaland that I can respect us the fact that he admitted it was intentional.

I hate seeing players put in filthy tackles and then say 'oh I didn't mean that'. In a lot of cases it's obvious they knew what they were doing.

It's even worse when you see fans and pundits standing up for the player because 'he's not that type of player'. It doesn't matter! The fact that it happened is enough!

it was disgusting and there is no defending it. it was a cowards tackle and then he stood over him giving him abuse. It was disgraceful and deserves zero respect

I don't condone badly injuring someone on the pitch but I don't think keane's tackle was disgraceful at all. If someone stood over me like that when I was seriously injured I'd be counting the days to the next match against him. So would any competitive player. Everything is gone too pc, its 11 against 11 and you take no prisoners, Keane and lots of other players are warriors and they win cups and leagues for their teams. You take that bite and tension out of the game and it becomes quite boring to watch.

Football is was a physical game. People are human. Haaland got a belt and imo deserved it.

it was disgusting and there is no defending it. it was a cowards tackle and then he stood over him giving him abuse. It was disgraceful and deserves zero respect

If you read my post again you'll see that I at no point defended him.

I don't condone badly injuring someone on the pitch but I don't think keane's tackle was disgraceful at all. If someone stood over me like that when I was seriously injured I'd be counting the days to the next match against him. So would any competitive player. Everything is gone too pc, its 11 against 11 and you take no prisoners, Keane and lots of other players are warriors and they win cups and leagues for their teams. You take that bite and tension out of the game and it becomes quite boring to watch.

Football is was a physical game. People are human. Haaland got a belt and imo deserved it.

but keane kicked haaland in the original game as well and injured himself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's where you are going wrong. You cant compare it to other tackles because it wasn't a tackle.

It wasn't a tackle, it was revenge. Or assault if your prefer that terminology. He shouldn't have been banned, he should have been charged if we are being frank.

Frankly, I can see myself doing the same think put in Keane's position. The vast majority of people are petty and would react the same way in reality despite what some might claim on an internet forum.

but keane kicked haaland in the original game as well and injured himself!!

I thought he tackled him around the side and incurred the injury. I could be wrong.

anyway, keane kicked a lot of players.

To be fair i think dunphy was a little colourful with his version of it. Keane did approve it though. I suppose it was naive to write about it

Kirby wrote: »
    That's where you are going wrong. You cant compare it to other tackles because it wasn't a tackle.

It wasn't a tackle, it was revenge. Or assault if your prefer that terminology. He shouldn't have been banned, he should have been charged if we are being frank.

Frankly, I can see myself doing the same think put in Keane's position. The vast majority of people are petty and would react the same way in reality despite what some might claim on an internet forum.

I agree. I think a lot of people would do the same. That's not to say that it's right. It's not. But a lot of times you will see players put in filthy challenges and it's blatantly obvious that they aren't even trying to play football. Yet 99% of the time these players immediately say it was unintentional or an accident. No it wasn't!

• Advertisement

Like you had Keane, Robson, Viera even dare i say it Gerard. These are all absolute animals! Yes they can be dirty and that is a by product of their attitude. When the chips are down and you need someone to stand up they are the players that will do it, they're the ones that united and Liverpool and arsenal fans remember and the reason the grounds are full every week.

what I laugh about is that its a disgrace in soccer. Yet in rugby you see Paul o Connell take a hit and then seconds later take the head off someone and Its: "Good man Paul"

I guess Keano is easy to dislike now because of all the book hype and he hasnt really behaved well since leaving united. Don't forget how many times he dragged our asses through a game. There would be no Barcelona 99 without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

He now says it wasn't revenge, so does that make it a tackle again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

There is very little Roy Keane could do to have himself removed from the hero status that I hold him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gerard... When the chips are down and you need someone to stand up they are the players that will do it
    Hyuck, hyuck, hyuck. :p

In truth though I would definitely put Lampard ahead of Gerrard in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There is very little Roy Keane could do to have himself removed from the hero status that I hold him in.

+100

Yes, he has done some scummy things and has thuggish leanings however he had such an unweilding desire to win, for him self and for his team, to be the best, to not accept mediocrity, that any wrong doing is infinitely outweighed by the good.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Hyuck, hyuck, hyuck. :p

In truth though I would definitely put Lampard ahead of Gerrard in that respect.

yeh can't believe i said that actually. sorry for any nausea caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

yeh can't believe i said that actually. sorry for any nausea caused.

It was just the choice of words... "WE DON'T ****ING LET THIS SLIP!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

One of the most memorable of Keane's leadership was a Champions League game against some Hungarian side when United were up 2 goals on aggregate and had gotten a penalty.

Forlan wanted to take it to get his first goal for United, having been under pressure to perform. Keane insisted van Nistelrooy take it since he was the designated penalty taker.

It takes balls to disregard the will of your players and demand consistency, even when you're running away with the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Cleverley talk > Nani talk......except if your Pro.F.

Is this a new range of teabags?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I always laugh at this Cantona one:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

adox wrote: »
    I always laugh at this Cantona one:

Who is that trying to rip the red card out of his hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Having read Keane's version of events in the new book, it's clear he takes these sort of (revenge) tackles as part and parcel of the game. And he is of of the opinion that his fellow pros agree.
    He claims that the tackle on Haaland was always about laying down a marker of sorts. A verbal and physical response to Haalands heckling him a few seasons previously. He claims he never set out to injury him and if he wanted to do so he could have. Professional players know how to tackle hard without inflicting serious damage.
    It was a hard, heavy handed tackle and he deserved to be vilified for it, but he's done his time on that one.
    I have huge regard for the guy and I would be loath to see him as a psychotic thug, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    Just starting the book and it's already clear he won't be pulling punches. Which I'm glad of. Too many footballers biographys paint a glossy boys own club picture, unwilling to offend anyone they might run into again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I'm in the same boat! Still have a United shirt from 2000 with GOD 16 on the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Nederland's losing to Kazakhstan at the moment,would be crazy if they lost, see they are falling apart without lvg ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tbh Keane needs to let go of few things. He can't for some reason.

Its a pity , cause he is meant be super family man, never forgot his family and friends and I know he has done some nice touches for people in past when asked and he never wanted it shouted out loud.

He visited Temple Street hospital quite a bit and couple I know work there can't praise him higher.

But he does at this time come across as right Langer.

Got the PDF version by today so don't have pay for it. Hope get reading it Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Tbh Keane needs to let go of few things. He can't for some reason.

Its a pity , cause he is meant be super family man, never forgot his family and friends and I know he has done some nice touches for people in past when asked and he never wanted it shouted out loud.

He visited Temple Street hospital quite a bit and couple I know work there can't praise him higher.

But he does at this time come across as right Langer.

Got the PDF version by today so don't have pay for it. Hope get reading it Sunday.

Keane would always divide the room on his opinions,I would be a fan of his just because of the way he played,every game had to be won no matter how big or small the competition was,if Roy was playing you would be gaurnteed he would give 100% everytime,

I can see why some people would dislike him,maybe he speaks his mind too much and always seems to have a gripe about something,

But for me thats what makes Roy Keane the great character he is there is never a dull moment with him,when he speaks people listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Keane would always divide the room on his opinions,I would be a fan of his just because of the way he played,every game had to be won no matter how big or small the competition was,if Roy was playing you would be gaurnteed he would give 100% everytime,

I can see why some people would dislike him,maybe he speaks his mind too much and always seems to have a gripe about something,

But for me thats what makes Roy Keane the great character he is there is never a dull moment with him,when he speaks people listen.

Like you I can see why people hate him

He is the football equivalent of Marmite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RVP won a very soft penalty and tucked it away beautifully

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Not sure if this has been posted already but thought I would share it. It's an article on the telegraph is hinting that UEFA are considering making FFP more stringent in regard to the accumlated debt a club is in which would have repercussions for us. Where a club in breach of the allowed accumulated debt will be punished. Will be interesting to see how this pans out as it will effect the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona as well. Might just mean that the Glazers have to put more of our income towards the paying off the debts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11152844/Manchester-United-could-face-Uefa-Financial-Fair-Play-sanction-for-350m-debt.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

blackwave wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted already but thought I would share it. It's an article on the telegraph is hinting that UEFA are considering making FFP more stringent in regard to the accumlated debt a club is in which would have repercussions for us. Where a club in breach of the allowed accumulated debt will be punished. Will be interesting to see how this pans out as it will effect the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona as well. Might just mean that the Glazers have to put more of our income towards the paying off the debts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11152844/Manchester-United-could-face-Uefa-Financial-Fair-Play-sanction-for-350m-debt.html

It wouldn't be in UEFA's best interests to bring in something that mostly punishes Barca, United and Real probably the 3 biggest clubs in football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Falcao with a class header

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

It wouldn't be in UEFA's best interests to bring in something that mostly punishes Barca, United and Real probably the 3 biggest clubs in football

Knowing the way uefa work we will be punished but nothing will happen to Madrid or Barcelona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Hococop wrote: »
    Knowing the way uefa work we will be punished but nothing will happen to Madrid or Barcelona

But sure remember when Barca got that transfer ban. (then were convieniently allowed a seasons transfer window. To buy all the players they needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Headshot wrote: »
    Falcao with a class header

https://vine.co/v/OA6BJj7gBL7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Manchester United will sign Wesley Sneijder for free in January according to the Metro.

The Netherlands international says he has not been paid for three months which means he can leave the club for nothing in the next transfer window.

Does this story ever go away?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So we have Rooney, Mata barely able to play, Januzaj benched full time, Kagawa just shipped out....but we're going after another high earning #10?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

zerks wrote: »
    Manchester United will sign Wesley Sneijder for free in January according to the Metro.

The Netherlands international says he has not been paid for three months which means he can leave the club for nothing in the next transfer window.

Does this story ever go away?

It's been said before and it will be said again,

Sneijder must have made a deal with the devil for great footballing ability, the only catch was every transfer window he had to be linked with United.

It seems that's a story papers just run when they want to fill pages and have nothing else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I can see sneijder arriving but someone will be sold methinks maybe use mate or rooney as a bargaining tool to sign a big name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I can see sneijder arriving but someone will be sold methinks maybe use mate or rooney as a bargaining tool to sign a big name.

But both Mata and Rooney are better players than Seijder...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Why are footballers always seem as dim? is just because they didnt go to college?
    I reckon they are like everyone who didnt go to college, pretty normal, but with lots of money to do what they want and learn what they want,so essentially, probably smarter than their peers.

You dont really hear that about GAA players or rugby players.

Bit late with the reply but heard recently that Glen Johnson is studying for a maths degree
    takes all sorts, stereotypes...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement