Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I like Blind. Don't think he is the answer to our problems but he brings something different then Carrick.

Only negative is he is bit of a Paul Scholes in tackling department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would be nice if he became a better version of John o Shea. Left back, midfield, defender.

Left back? Are you crazy.

Could you imagine someone like Aaron lennon, Walcott or navas running at him?

He's simply too slow, much more effective in the centre.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Only negative is he is bit of a Paul Scholes in tackling department.

He really isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I think Fellaini has slightly edged Herrera in terms of performance impact lately.

What do people think of our newly acquired midfield duo of Blind and Herrera so far?

I think Blind is a slight upgrade on Carrick, younger, faster and very solid. Herrera is a hard worker but hasn't exactly lit things up as yet, not that he's done anything wrong but he is our roaming creative MF of the pair. He's eager and all that but again its a slight improvement over what we had ie more roaming upfield and forward passes than Clev but not quite the creativity from passing that Giggs offered us at times. An improvement overall but not a revolutionary upgrade.

We look a bit more solid and energetic in MF but still fall behind many of the MF's that the top clubs have.

We still need a world beater in there. It looks like a choice between Strootman and Vidal unless those report about us scouting Perez from Benfica are true. I think it will be next summer before we see a new MF player brought in as its bound to be CBs in January.

Carrick at his best or even close to pisses on Blind.

I bet VG plays Carrick when fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

8RVAYPr.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Carrick wil probably be at centre half on Saturday so he will be an actual defender!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Carrick's reading of the game is excellent, there was a moment in the game on Sunday when United were under pressure and the ball broke in the box, every other player on the team would have launched it high and as far up the pitch as possible, Carrick fizzed a 30-40 yard pass along the ground and straight to the feet of Rooney to turn defence into attack.
    He obviously has his negatives but he still has a bit to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I saw somewhere that in his last 15 appearances for Holland under LVG Blind played DM once

I think Van Gaal knows he is a good option to have in midfield, but I think we will buy a better midfielder soon. Probably Strootman

He was needed more at left back tbh, they had enough in midfield with De Jong as the DM to get by. He played the majority of last season as a 6/DM/DCM/CMD (think I got all the titles covered) and won the Dutch POTY.

He is a very good stop gap and a great squad addition either way

Left back? Are you crazy.

Could you imagine someone like Aaron lennon, Walcott or navas running at him?

He's simply too slow, much more effective in the centre.

He has more then held his own against some top class wingers while playing left back, wouldn't worry me there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm getting slightly concerned at the lack of movement on de Gea's contract. I said around 18 months ago that he should be tied down to a long term deal. Nothing done yet and it's coming up to the point where there's only 18 months to run on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm getting slightly concerned at the lack of movement on de Gea's contract. I said around 18 months ago that he should be tied down to a long term deal. Nothing done yet and it's coming up to the point where there's only 18 months to run on it.

Im ok for now, but if we don't get a Christmas present announcement of it, or at least a way to welcome in the new year I will become a bit concerned. He seems happy, the club won't **** him around, they see how good he is, and how young he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Forgot about him. Still only 20, maybe he can make the step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Blatter wrote: »

Business wise, why should we? He has made no hints at leaving or whatever. His contract is what he signed for, he was happy with the price of his labour. He should have signed a shorter one.

Fan wise, it nice to see players like tht signed for ages.

Soccer wise, contracts mean nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

nuxxx wrote: »
    Brace yourself....

Poor effort. 2/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

FACT

No, he isn't
    Exactly, I created a GIF of him not too long ago closing in on Wisdom for the West Brom attack of the first goal. He's a fast as many other in his position. I really like him, had some excellent first touches against City but Yaya unfortunately got the better of him with his strength / pace.

hPj0HK8.gif

Business wise, why should we? He has made no hints at leaving or whatever. His contract is what he signed for, he was happy with the price of his labour. He should have signed a shorter one.

He is playing at a higher level, and is now more important to the team, more experienced, then when he signed that contract so he is entitled to look for an improved contract and the club should really have no problem giving him one either, he is progressing very well and is a great asset to have. You want security on those kind of assets

Of course contracts mean very little in football, but the length of them is important, if a player is going to leave he is going leave, but you have him tied to a long term contract you get more compensation for him.

Business wise it makes sense to tie him down for longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Because if Real Madrid come calling in the Summer and if DDG is tempted to return home to Madrid (he may not sign for Real given his Atletico allegiances but I wouldn't rule it out), the club would be in a weak position given he'd only have 12 months left on his contract.

If he had 5 years left on his contract, the club could tell Madrid to píss off or if push came to shove and de Gea strongly angled for a move home, we could get a massive fee.

Besides all of this, he deserves a pay rise for his improvement. It's a policy of the club (most clubs) to reward players in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

advertsfox wrote: »
    Exactly, I created a GIF of him not too long ago closing in on Wisdom for the West Brom attack of the first goal. He's a fast as many other in his position. I really like him, had some excellent first touches against City but Yaya unfortunately got the better of him with his strength / pace.

hPj0HK8.gif

He's not showing any impressive turn of pace in this gif. As a matter of fact the gif is just as Wisdom is slowing up and Blind is at the height of his sprint. He isn't particularly fast. Probably a bit slower than the majority, doesn't mean he isn't capable. Most of the best ever deep lying midfielders aren't fast tbh (not that Blind is or necessarily, will be in that bracket) I still think he's really good player.

• Advertisement

Blind is not at full pelt in that gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

The Blind top-speed debate has raged on for a while now, think we need a match-day again ASAP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I can see this debate going on a while.

Smegball wrote: »
    I can see this debate going on a while.

How do you think Nani is doing on his loan? Will it be a spring board back to his United career or will it just make sure we get a few quid for him if he continues his good form?

What about Chico, do you think he is enjoying sitting on the bench in Spain more then he was in England? I probably would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What about tommy. How is he getting on.

What about tommy. How is he getting on.

He is only a loan in name for sure :) Contract up at the end of the season, one way or another he is gone

Before Pep bored the life out of us, United did this..

em, how do I embed this?

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=701971323281736&quot; data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=701971323281736">Post</a&gt; by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/SPORTbible">The SPORT Bible</a>.</div></div>

Of someone can't do that just click the link ----> https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=701971323281736 superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

kryogen wrote: »
    Before Pep bored the life out of us, United did this..

em, how do I embed this?

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=701971323281736&quot; data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=701971323281736">Post</a&gt; by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/SPORTbible">The SPORT Bible</a>.</div></div>

Of someone can't do that just click the link ----> https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=701971323281736 superb

Zalgo says thats class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Daley has blinding pace in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Tumblr_m935jbUGkB1qhd1lzo1_400.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Henriquez is a mystery still only 20 at a proper level proven more than Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

? Specsavers me thinks.

bantee wrote: »
    The Blind top-speed debate has raged on for a while now, think we need a match-day again ASAP :pac:

Blind is one of the slowest midfielders at the club - cant believe anyone thinks he is quick, have a look back at the West Brom game.

kstand wrote: »
    Blind is one of the slowest midfielders at the club - cant believe anyone thinks he is quick, have a look back at the West Brom game.

Slowest in any sort of relevant way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Manchester United @ManUtd · 1h 1 hour ago
    #mufc stopper @D_DeGea is 24 today. Happy birthday, David!

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/E3B9F399F91142413127359578112_376a7d01aad.0.1.5656605994419769844.mp4?versionId=vurj9UnqzRDHhKdjeHgQnLLr0YpDDLve

Manchester United @ManUtd · 1h 1 hour ago
    Reece James is also celebrating a birthday today as he turns 21. Many happy returns! #mufc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Hope they are getting a cake,don't want them doing "A Yaya".:pac:

Zalgo says thats class.

He Comes!

3230852-zalgo.jpg

EDIT

He is correct of course, some goal

Slowest in any sort of relevant way?

?????? I would have thought so, but he can get away with it as long as he stays deep enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

advertsfox wrote: »
    hPj0HK8.gif

Blinding pace! I could watch that on a Daley basis!

• Advertisement

?????? I would have thought so, but he can get away with it as long as he stays deep enough.

??????????? Why so confused?

I am simply asking you if he is slow in some relevant way, you have said you would have though so, what way(s)? Or you just mean he doesn't have blistering pace?

Or are you claiming he is one of the slowest at closing down, turning, getting the ball out of his feet, passing and so on?

He doesn't need much pace for the position he is playing so that doesn't really matter, he is clearly not a snail, he is not the quickest obviously but as I said, he doesn't need to be.

So I am asking if you think he is slow in some way that actually matters is all?

??????????? Why so confused?

I am simply asking you if he is slow in some relevant way? Or you just mean he doesn't have blistering pace?

Or are you claiming he is one of the slowest at closing down, turning, getting the ball out of his feet, passing and so on?

He doesn't need much pace for the position he is playing so that doesn't really matter, he is clearly not a snail, he is not the quickest obviously but as I said, he doesn't need to be.

So I am asking if you think he is slow in some way that actually matters is all?

If he was playing in a role where he was dictating the play ala Scholes, Pirlo and players like that then no - but he's not playing those roles so yes - but he can get away with it.

If he was playing in a role where he was dictating the play ala Scholes, Pirlo and players like that then no - but he's not playing those roles so yes - but he can get away with it.

So you think it matters, but you don't think it matters :)

Fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

blind is quick, just not in the Eden Hazard sort of quick way...

anyway, Phil Jagielka is the fastest player in the league!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Blind is quicker or at least as quick as Scholes, Carrick, Biscuits, Arteta, Xavi, Fabregas and many other quality CMs. Pace is not an important attribute to have when playing as CM/DM. It's a good one to have but not an absolutely must like for wingers. Speed of decision making and ability to pick nice pass is much more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So its win at all costs this weekend? Time for Utd to start putting points on the board and stop patting ourselves on the back with moral victories due to decent performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Crap, just realised I'm going to miss the match on Saturday because I'll be on a stupid plane. :mad:

Presser on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I can't wait to see what CB pairing we have out tomorrow.

Is Jones fit or could it be McNair and Blackett?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

zerks wrote: »
    Presser on now.

Any links available?

Any links available?

Against the charter buddy.

He confirmed Rojo doesn't need surgery but will be out for 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement