Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

zerks wrote: »
    Seems like McNair is the latest defender to be injured.:(

Our defenders are made of glass, unfortunately not toughened Pyrex.

More like fine bone china...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I don't think we are on track for top 4, never mind Liverpool I'm not worried about them but Southampton are looking like they are the real deal, only 5 goals conceded all season. That's unreal form. I think to get top 4 we will have to beat Arsenal to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Good auld Keith Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I don't want to see Carrick in midfield any more, we were laying with more intent and urgency before he came back.
    He was very poor last season.

I'd have Blind, Herrera and Fellaini ahead of him for CM

Good auld Keith Barry.

Oh well! Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Good auld Keith Barry.

2-2 now,QPR are as bad as us at defending simple direct balls into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

When McNair got injured today , why did Fletcher come on rather than Blackett I wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

When McNair got injured today , why did Fletcher come on rather than Blackett I wonder

Extra bit of experience to see out the win id say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I wouldnt be too worried about Southampton getting into the top 4. They have done extremely well to do what they've done so far but they have a hell of a lot of tough matches ahead of them. They are yet to play any of the "big" teams in the league apart from Liverpool and Spurs and they lost both of those games.

I know we haven't covered ourselves in glory against the lower tier teams so far but I fully expect that to improve as our defenders get back fit.

I think the top 4 this year will be Chelsea, M.City, Arsenal, Utd.

If our injury crisis starts to abate sooner rather than later we might even push for 3rd IMO.

Although I was very disappointed with today, particularly the 1st half, Im staying positive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Oh well! Ha.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I don't think we are on track for top 4, never mind Liverpool I'm not worried about them but Southampton are looking like they are the real deal, only 5 goals conceded all season. That's unreal form. I think to get top 4 we will have to beat Arsenal to it

So you think Southampton will be top four?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I don't want to see Carrick in midfield any more, we were laying with more intent and urgency before he came back.
    He was very poor last season.

I'd have Blind, Herrera and Fellaini ahead of him for CM

I thought Carrick had a good game today. There seemed to be too big of a gap between him and the players in front of him but that is not his fault. When Blind was moved into midfield today he was sloppier on the ball than Carrick was. I think LVG style will suit Carrick more than that of Fergie or Moyes.

Trilla wrote: »
    What?

Keith Barry predicted qpr would beat city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

How many more games does RVP get to find form? He looks jaded. I'd stick Rooney up top at this stage. Not like he has been crazy good as a 10 either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I thought Carrick played well too. He was playing quick balls to the forwards feet from early on and kept it moving well. Jan was the one frustrating me, slowing down the pace of our play at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How many more games does RVP get to find form? He looks jaded. I'd stick Rooney up top at this stage. Not like he has been crazy good as a 10 either

RVP should be dropped. Wilson should start instead of him atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

mewe wrote: »
    I thought Carrick played well too. He was playing quick balls to the forwards feet from early on and kept it moving well. Jan was the one frustrating me, slowing down the pace of our play at times.

Jan is frustrating but he needs to play to improve and there is no other natural winger to play there. If young was fit i think LVG would play him instead so it could be worse. If he is going to stick with this formation we should go for Reus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I thought Carrick had a good game today. There seemed to be too big of a gap between him and the players in front of him but that is not his fault. When Blind was moved into midfield today he was sloppier on the ball than Carrick was. I think LVG style will suit Carrick more than that of Fergie or Moyes.

Yep Fellaini kept making runs forward, Carrick was basically doing it by himself.

By the time Blind moved into midfield we were sitting back and had proper support from Fellaini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not like he has been crazy good as a 10 either

Yeah but he can run back to his own box and put in a tackle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Jan is frustrating but he needs to play to improve and there is no other natural winger to play there. If young was fit i think LVG would play him instead so it could be worse. If he is going to stick with this formation we should go for Reus.

Yeah i agree he needs to play to improve alright and i do think in time he'll be a very good player. Maybe a loan spell could be good for him but with the current squad he should get enough game time.

If he's sticking with this formation Nani coming back in January makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That was awful.

Really bad, like shockingly bad, like last year bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

titan18 wrote: »
    RVP should be dropped. Wilson should start instead of him atm.

He's not been that bad in fairness. He's below par but I wouldnt drop him. If I did it would be for Mata and put Rooney up top with Blind and Fellaini CMs. You going to drop Di Maria too?

Januzaj should be dropped, youngster with great potential or not. Left peg walking pace.... if Valencia or Young did that the internet would have a meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

That was awful.

Not even close to last year bad.

Palace pretty much parked the bus the entire game, what did you expect to happen?

That was awful.

How can that be? We won.

Did we ever get as high as the lofty 6th place last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

At the risk of sounding like a broken drum, I can't see why we need Rooney in games like this when Mata is so much better at creating

RVP was still fairly poor and I think he may be part of the problem why we are so slow when attacking

Big 3 points though but there is still so much to improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

At the risk of sounding like a broken drum, I can't see why we need Rooney in games like this when Mata is so much better at creating

RVP was still fairly poor and I think he may be part of the problem why we are so slow when attacking

Big 3 points though but there is still so much to improve

Mata had the past three games to do that and he didn't, did he?

RichFTW wrote: »
    Not even close to last year bad.

Palace pretty much parked the bus the entire game, what did you expect to happen?

Parking the Bus you would swear that was a new invention or something.

I don't expect anything really other then a good performance.

Is that too much to ask these days?

kryogen wrote: »
    How can that be? We won.

What you mean how can that be?

We were poor. A poor goalie error won us the gane.

Let's not go kid ourself into thinking that type if performance is acceptable week in week out.

You think because a team wins they can't be poor?

With RVP so out of form,hopefully Falcao will be fit for the Arsenal game.Perhaps a better option today would have been to play RVP as #10 with Rooney up front.
    RVP can play in that role and with him being seemingly undroppable perhaps that would be a solution and remove the pressure of having to provide goals while being off form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

https://twitter.com/lukeshaw3/status/531183330679857153

Our best performing signing perhaps?

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/lukeshaw3/status/531183330679857153

Our best performing signing perhaps?

Not bad for a fat kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mars Bar wrote: »

United dominated possession today, these are the games where Mata is clearly the better choice to unlock a blanket defence. Rooney was muck again, his link up play was awful, just too slow and predictable.

Parking the Bus you would swear that was a new invention or something.

I don't expect anything really other then a good performance.

Is that too much to ask these days?

We have had good performances though, we had a good performance against Chelsea, we didn't win, we had one against City, we didn't win. Today we eventually broke through against a team that had under 30% possession they were defending and dropped back so deep and we won.

It was an absolutely dominant performance, the cutting edge isn't there but it was a solid outing for the team, a clean sheet is confidence building along with getting 3 points on the board, first time in 4 games.

Did you miss the good performances this season or something?

To answer the other part from your next post, I think that the hyperbole of that was awful, bad, shockingly bad, like last year bad is off the mark yes.

Of course a team can win and be poor, that is not the assessment you made though.

Last season we could barely buy a win at home, we were never in any danger of losing that game even with a make shift defence.

It may not have been a steller performance, or one of the best we have turned in this season, but to say it was as bad as last year is just bollix and I don't mind calling it as such.

We had 72% possession and 23 shots on goal. That is nothing like last year

Oh, and simply because parking the bus is nothing new makes it any easier to deal with when done well does it? Come off it.

We have had good performances though, we had a good performance against Chelsea, we didn't win, we had one against City, we didn't win. Today we eventually broke through against a team that had under 30% possession they were defending and dropped back so deep and we won.

It was an absolutely dominant performance, the cutting edge isn't there but it was a solid outing for the team, a clean sheet is confidence building along with getting 3 points on the board, first time in 4 games.

Did you miss the good performances this season or something?

To answer the other part from your next post, I think that the hyperbole of that was awful, bad, shockingly bad, like last year bad is off the mark yes.

Of course a team can win and be poor, that is not the assessment you made though.

Last season we could barely buy a win at home, we were never in any danger of losing that game even with a make shift defence.

It may not have been a steller performance, or one of the best we have turned in this season, but to say it was as bad as last year is just bollix and I don't mind calling it as such.

Ah stop.

I said the performance last week was very good. I have been one of the more positive posters in this thread this year.

We are going places and these things will take time.

All I said was today was poor and IMO we need be doing better at this stage in season in game like this.

Ever since I be watching United most teams in PL park the bus at OT. This is nothing new. If anyone says otherwise they not been round long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Very poor stuff and it like a good few other displays last year, showed us having alot of frailties.

How can that be? We won.

We had very few problems beating the s*hit teams last year and if u replace the 3 relegated teams directly with the 3 promoted teams, we had 25 points from these 11 games last season.

We are playing nowhere near the level we should be playing at right now.and to answer your question, we were 5th this stage last season, just 5 points off first.

People have very selective and short memories it seems. Ive no problem giving LVG time, something i didnt give Moyes but the reality is so far, LVG has had a really poor start and he needs to improve rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mars Bar wrote: »

Mata has been poor by his standards since he has arrived at the club but it's no coincidence that this is happening when we have had no real playing style and are evidently still finding our feet with LVG's philosophy

We won't get vintage Mata, but it's still Mata and he's always dangerous. On average he will create far more chances than Rooney will, we could have easily done without Januzaj today and played with Rooney and RVP up front

Ah stop.

I said the performance last week was very good. I have been one of the more positive posters in this thread this year.

We are going places and these things will take time.

All I said was today was poor and IMO we need be doing better at this stage in season in game like this.

Ever since I be watching United most teams in PL park the bus at OT. This is nothing new. If anyone says otherwise they not been round long

Thats not what you said, but if you want to say thats what you meant I am fine with that and we can just leave it at that.

Good news,McNair only had cramp.

So it happened?

We won a game, AND got no new injuries!!!

crazy-frog-bros.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Am i the only one that thinks McNair is a smashing player? Very impressed with him, he looks the best of all our center backs so far this year.

Has stepped up ahead of Jones, Blackett and Evans for sure and Smalling wont be flavour of month with LVG right now either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mata has been poor by his standards since he has arrived at the club but it's no coincidence that this is happening when we have had no real playing style and are evidently still finding our feet with LVG's philosophy

We won't get vintage Mata, but it's still Mata and he's always dangerous. On average he will create far more chances than Rooney will, we could have easily done without Januzaj today and played with Rooney and RVP up front

Yeah, while I far prefer Mata as a 10 to Rooney, he is the type who does much, much better when the team around him is operating well than when it isn't whereas Rooney can be more useful when there is a lack of fluidity to the play otherwise. Still really, really would prefer us playing Falcao up top (even though it's going to be RVP no matter what, apparently) with Rooney a little off free to roam and chip in/do a lot of things quite well as he does (which I've been referring to as a '9.5' this season - e.g. some striker play, some playmaking, some roaming, etc), and Mata able to focus on the classic '10' position.

I've been at Rooney a bit since the summer because I don't believe he does much at a 'great' level, but it's not that I don't rate him - he does an awful lot of things very well and that can be an incredibly important asset, especially when overall play is spluttering like we have been quite often this year. I just really wish we would use him in this role to be honest - gives him more freedom without expecting him to be the primary playmaker or dictate the tempo. The chance he created where Mata hit the post on the rebound is a great example of what I'm trying to get at.

Am i the only one that thinks McNair is a smashing player? Very impressed with him, he looks the best of all our center backs so far this year.

Has stepped up ahead of Jones, Blackett and Evans for sure and Smalling wont be flavour of month with LVG right now either.

No, Blackett has been a level above McNair all in all so far in my opinion and Jones is a good deal further along. I wouldn't at all mind seeing him above Smalling at this point though, I would actually probably prefer it and he has been a very nice surprise to come out of this neverending injury crisis. I'm perfectly happy with how he has done so far, but I do also think he has shown a good few signs of rawness (understandably) and would like to see him ideally loaned out next season to a Premiership club, so long as we make significant upgrades at CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

irishfeen wrote: »
    *swoon*

*fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap*

Thats not what you said, but if you want to say thats what you meant I am fine with that and we can just leave it at that.

I made it clear first time.

I did not realise I have repeat something over and over

I made it clear first time.

I did not realise I have repeat something over and over

Right, so in your head
    Kew wrote:
    That was awful.

Is the same as
    Kew wrote:

Are you for real like?

You are right though in one respect, the intial post about how it was shockingly bad, like last year, was pretty crystal clear.

Right, so in your head

Is the same as

Are you for real like?

You are right though in one respect, the intial post about how it was shockingly bad, like last year, was pretty crystal clear.

Today was poor, like last season in some matches.

Yes that's what I'm saying.

Thanks for bringing it up again.

Edit; yes it was crystal clear.

We didn't sh*t the bed, stop attacking and throw everyone back to defend when we had a one goal lead with 30 minutes to go to be fair, so it wasn't all too similar.

Billy86 wrote: »
    We didn't sh*t the bed, stop attacking and throw everyone back to defend when we had a one goal lead with 30 minutes to go to be fair, so it wasn't all too similar.

We did enough of that against West Ham and Everton tbf.

• Advertisement

Edit; yes it was crystal clear.

What you are doing is actually changing what you said, while still defending the original post, in all its glorious hyperbole, which is....well you know what that is.

Anyway I'm done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement