Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kryogen wrote: »
    What you are doing is actually changing what you said, while still defending the original post, in all its glorious hyperbole, which is....well you know what that is.

Anyway I'm done

I didn't change a thing.

The context of posts were still the same, but you know that.

We were poor just like last season in my eyes. Just on today's game. Don't worry i still accept its going take time. Don't worry not rolled over to dark side yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

We did enough of that against West Ham and Everton tbf.

What do they have to do with today's match, though? By the way Everton beat us home and away last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For the first time this season we capitalised on Liverpool fecking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Parking the Bus you would swear that was a new invention or something.

I don't expect anything really other then a good performance.

Is that too much to ask these days?

Hard to give a good performance when you're playing against a team with 10 men in their half the whole time waiting for a counter.

We're probably lucky they didn't look to attack too much as we had 3 midfielders in defence at one stage! A clean sheet with a makeshift defence is a good performance for me anyway.

Comparing today to last year's level of bad is a bit disingenuous though. The 2-0 loss against Everton and the 2-0 loss against Olympiakos were probably the worst United performances I have ever seen. That's what I think of when I think of last year's bad. Today was mediocre but 3 points. No comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

zerks wrote: »

Get used to it buddy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liverpool will get better when Sturridge is back, we can't afford any more slip ups against the smaller teams

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mata has 9 goals in 22 games. Has a great ability to get onto things created by Di Maria and Rooney as well as create for them.

United need to get him into the team for these games and also free up Di Maria more.

Obviously when the defence is so unsettled that is hard to do as you need to protect them with a less fluid shape and some extra graft in midfield so it couldn't really happen today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

RichFTW wrote: »
    Hard to give a good performance when you're playing against a team with 10 men in their half the whole time waiting for a counter.

We're probably lucky they didn't look to attack too much as we had 3 midfielders in defence at one stage! A clean sheet with a makeshift defence is a good performance for me anyway.

Comparing today to last year's level of bad is a bit disingenuous though. The 2-0 loss against Everton and the 2-0 loss against Olympiakos were probably the worst United performances I have ever seen. That's what I think of when I think of last year's bad. Today was mediocre but 3 points. No comparison.
    A 2-0 loss against a team of Everton's quality or a 5-3 loss to someone of Leicester quality? Not something I'd put above that especially after the money spent. The last year was bad enough without people trying to make it sound worse than it was. It's been pretty much the same this season with far more investment if not quality in the team. Another supposed turning point today and were still rubbish for most of it.

It should be better by now I feel. The supposed better style people talk about is yet to really show it's face imo and Fellaini has been a godsend the last few games and made a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

We've spent 150m and are worse off for the same games than we were last season, playing crap, constantly down players due to injury (I don't believe it's just bad luck) and our best player lately has been the guy everyone called a flop last season.

If you're all happy with that, good luck, cos that's not United standards. LVG continues like this (and I'm not seeing much to convince me it won't turn around lately), he deserves to be fcuked out like Moyes was.

Liam O wrote: »
    A 2-0 loss against a team of Everton's quality or a 5-3 loss to someone of Leicester quality? Not something I'd put above that especially after the money spent. The last year was bad enough without people trying to make it sound worse than it was. It's been pretty much the same this season with far more investment if not quality in the team. Another supposed turning point today and were still rubbish for most of it.

It should be better by now I feel. The supposed better style people talk about is yet to really show it's face imo and Fellaini has been a godsend the last few games and made a huge difference.

Hold on, what? We beat Everton 2-1. I know you like Moyes a lot for whatever reasons, but let's not forget the actual results of the season.

Also, replace Ferdinand/Vidic at the back with McNair/Smalling/Blackett/Rojo/Evan/Jones on a constant conveyor belt of injuries. Both of those players left in large part because of Moyes. You can't bring up money spent in midfield and attack without bringing up the in the backline either. On top of Carrick being injured - and today again he showed how much of an important, experienced and calming presence he can be for a young defence with a lot of new signings ahead of them.

As for "far more investment if not quality" ...
    Di Maria or Nani?
    Herrera or Anderson?
    Blind or (post sickness) Fletcher?
    Falcao or Welbeck? (and I've been one of Welbeck's biggest fans for a while)
    Shaw or Evra? (right now a push probably to be fair, but one is 19 and the other is 33)

And don't try going crediting Moyes for Fellaini, because he was completely brutal at this level until LVG started getting him to play as he has done the last 2-3 games, and while vastly improved on how he had been in that time he has still been a laughable distance from a "Godsend".

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    We've spent 150m and are worse off for the same games than we were last season, playing crap, constantly down players due to injury (I don't believe it's just bad luck) and our best player lately has been the guy everyone called a flop last season.

If you're all happy with that, good luck, cos that's not United standards. LVG continues like this (and I'm not seeing much to convince me it won't turn around lately), he deserves to be fcuked out like Moyes was.

Its a shame what last season did to some people you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That's nothing to faff about.

Faff faff faff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

titan18 wrote: »

I'm not Van Gaal's biggest fan and disagree with a lot of his decisions, strongly, but he seems to believe in what he's doing and it's a bit unfair to compare him with Moyes' Utd until he has reached the stage of Moyes' tenure, and even then I would be weary due to the increased competitiveness of some other mid table clubs. January to May is the real test for LVG. If we are not at least in the hunt for CL qualification, I find it hard to see how people will defend him after the money spent and transfer decisions made.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Liam O wrote: »

I'm talking about performance though. The 2-0 Everton performance was way worse than the Leicester performance. The Leicester loss was more of a defensive cave in while the Everton game was devoid of any passion or tactics whatsoever.

Anyway I'm not defending LVG, I'm still undecided as I expected more given the money spent. Some of his decisions & tactics have annoyed me too. Today however was no where near as bad as last year. We do look better going forward this year, which is to be expected given the money. Defence is as shaky as last year but at least we have younger players getting experience and making mistakes rather than a finished Evra & Ferdinand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Not a good display but the 3 points were important. I'm not sure what system van Gaal wants to play. With the injuries and lack of consistency in tactics it must be hard for the players to adjust.

So far it's certainly not nearly good enough but this is something that is going to need time. We could be seeing a lot of new faces between now and the end of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

K4t wrote: »
    I'm not Van Gaal's biggest fan and disagree with a lot of his decisions, strongly, but he seems to believe in what he's doing and it's a bit unfair to compare him with Moyes' Utd until he has reached the stage of Moyes' tenure, and even then I would be weary due to the increased competitiveness of some other mid table clubs. January to May is the real test for LVG. If we are not at least in the hunt for CL qualification, I find it hard to see how people will defend him after the money spent and transfer decisions made.

Are we now considered a mid-table club in your mind?
    Not a chance mate.

Just an observation - I loved two of the reactions that I seen today.

One was Mata's when he scored, and the other was de Gea's after the mess up between the CB's to allow Campbell's effort that went over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Just an observation - I loved two of the reactions that I seen today.

One was Mata's when he scored, and the other was de Gea's after the mess up between the CB's to allow Campbell's effort that went over the bar.

Thanking not enough. I really enjoyed those two moments as well. May I add shaws run and shot to that. He's gonna be a fantastic player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Missed the game so not in a position to comment. Good to get the 3 points though. Delighted for Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

KH25 wrote: »
    Missed the game so not in a position to comment. Good to get the 3 points though. Delighted for Mata.

Lucky you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would like to see us play with the following for a change with the fullback giving width

Herrera. Blind. Fellani.

. Mata.

Falcao. Di Maria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would like to see us play with the following for a change with the fullback giving width

Herrera. Blind. Fellani.

. Mata.

Falcao. Di Maria.

You spelled Rooney wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Hopefully Arsenal and Swansea draw today

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Talk is Falcao, Jones, Rafael and Evans will be fit for the Arsenal game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I see a lot of talk about Pique wanting to leave Barcelona. Would it be worth a punt to try bring him back?

A few weeks ago I would have said yes definitely but I am not as upset about our centre back situation as I was before. Yes with injuries we are very stretched at the moment but the likes of Blackett and McNair have stepped up. If they can keep playing and improving like they have been and we get back our full compliment the centre backs look ok to me, unless of course an opportunity to sign a world class CB comes up where we can't say no.

The right back position is my biggest worry. Valencia has been doing alright for now but we desperately need an out and out right back for cover and competition with Rafael.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

K4t wrote: »

Jim Jones also believed in what he was doing. Yesterday was poor, and it's a snapshot of how far we've fallen. Posters are actually saying what a great 3 points it is. It was Crystal Palace at Old Trafford. We're Manchester F..king United, not FC United of Manchester. Standards have been allowed to slip to a disgraceful degree. I have no faith in Van Gaal whatsoever because I base my opinion on what I see - A fortune spent on players and more toxic results than David Moyes managed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jim Jones also believed in what he was doing. Yesterday was poor, and it's a snapshot of how far we've fallen. Posters are actually saying what a great 3 points it is. It was Crystal Palace at Old Trafford. We're Manchester F..king United, not FC United of Manchester. Standards have been allowed to slip to a disgraceful degree. I have no faith in Van Gaal whatsoever because I base my opinion on what I see - A fortune spent on players and more toxic results than David Moyes managed.

Who said it was a great 3 points?

It may be a worse start than David Moyes managed, but surely you can see that glaring issues are being addressed Larry.
    I was a supporter till close to the end of the Moyes reign, but I am 100% more confident that we are going in the right direction...

As is any fair minded supporter, I'd imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

It may be a worse start than David Moyes managed, but surely you can see that glaring issues are being addressed Larry.
    I was a supporter till close to the end of the Moyes reign, but I am 100% more confident that we are going in the right direction...

What is your confidence based on? I see us lurching from one disaster to the next. Nothing is being done to address the Van Persie issue. Our defence is shocking. For me, it's fourth or "get out Louis". Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Who said it was a great 3 points?

Nobody he makes up things to go on a ramble all the time.

And people still respond, every time :)

Have we had an international break yet this season where we have all been saying, "comes at a good time, chance to get some players back from injury" Unreal this season, hopefully they are going to stop being such a factor soon. Very hard to get a consistent team when you can't put out the same one twice in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well you added Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Herrera, Di Maria and Falcao. You should be doing better than last season with all those additions.

Personally I'm of the opinion that Moyes had to go when he did because of the reaction to him but I don't see how things are improving. That doesn't mean that I think that Moyes got a fair chance.
    You seem to be stuck in the same rut that you were last year. I expected more from Van Gaal, he got it easy coming in after Moyes did the dirty year but he hasn't improved things as of now. If he gets the time I'm sure he will.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well you added Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Herrera, Di Maria and Falcao. You should be doing better than last season with all those additions.

Personally I'm of the opinion that Moyes had to go when he did because of the reaction to him but I don't see how things are improving. That doesn't mean that I think that Moyes got a fair chance.
    You seem to be stuck in the same rut that you were last year. I expected more from Van Gaal, he got it easy coming in after Moyes did the dirty year but he hasn't improved things as of now. If he gets the time I'm sure he will.

I would liken it to your stance on how the Patriots and the coaches were doing after the first few games this season. That is exactly how I feel about this current situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

kryogen wrote: »
    I would liken it to your stance on how the Patriots and the coaches were doing after the first few games this season. That is exactly how I feel about this current situation.
    Its a completely different situation though, in the case of the Patriots it was the same head coach/offensive and defensive co-ordinators.

A new man at the top needs time to do his thing. Moyes did not get enough time, Van Gaal comes in then after Moyes does the dirty work and he should have already improved them. The players he has brought in have not made a huge difference. I was surprised that he didn't look to strengthen the defense more and it could be the reason United fail, if they do.

He does deserve to get the time to get it right though but they should be better than last year already considering how much money was spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I don't really understand why people are so down about the performance yesterday. Chelsea have the best defence in the league by a county mile... If they had to throw a winger, a midfielder, a 19 year old from the youths handed his PL debut in September alongside Luke Shaw at the back against any PL team I fully expect them to lose points.

We are being absolutely killed with injuries - if we had everyone fit and a defence that goes on a 5, 6, 7 unbroken run together then results will come thick and fast. Our defensive crisis is unprecedented, its Murphy's law x2. The 3 points yesterday was a great result, not a great performance but fcuk it a clean sheet against any PL team with that at the back is an achievement in itself.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    I don't really understand why people are so down about the performance yesterday. Chelsea have the best defence in the league by a county mile... If they had to throw a winger, a midfielder, a 19 year old from the youths handed his PL debut in September alongside Luke Shaw at the back against any PL team I fully expect them to lose points.

We are being absolutely killed with injuries - if we had everyone fit and a defence that goes on a 5, 6, 7 unbroken run together then results will come thick and fast. Our defensive crisis is unprecedented, its Murphy's law x2. The 3 points yesterday was a great result, not a great performance but fcuk it a clean sheet against any PL team with that at the back is an achievement in itself.

Yes we won but the performance was just so lethargic.Our defense wasn't really tested at all but we lacked the speed & imagination to break down Palace despite having 72% of the ball.Rooney for all his endeavour was poor creatively,RVP was virtually a passenger.Januzaj was poor but in fairness he had Valencia behind him who's terrified of going forward and helping him double up on the fullback.Di Maria had an injury scare before the game & wasn't on form.
    Maybe it was just one of those games where the result is more important than the performance.
    For the goal,I noticed how Fellaini spotted Val in space out wide & turned to pass it infield rather than give it to him.I reckon he knew giving it out to him would lead to it either going backwards or be smashed against the defenders shins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

What is your confidence based on? I see us lurching from one disaster to the next. Nothing is being done to address the Van Persie issue. Our defence is shocking. For me, it's fourth or "get out Louis". Time will tell.

meanwhile last week.... :)
    Van Gaal should be sacked and a team should be built around De Gea, Shaw, Blind, Di Maria and Rooney. Everyone else is just mediocrity personified (excluding Falcao who we're yet to really see).

You've changed your tune, you wanted him sacked immediately last week. Why have you changed your mind ?

I really don't understand why people say we are the same as last year, if not worse. Results wise maybe, but most fans would agree that we are going in the right direction. The style of play is improving and more importantly the confidence is improving.

We've had so many injuries that players who we didn't think would feature for another while have been given chances. Players like Blackett, Wilson, McNair. All players we thought were promising and have done well, but before this season we wouldnt have thought they would be seeing too much game time. Those 3 combined have made 14 appearances so far this season in only 11 games. They have played well mind you but still shows the amount of injuries we have faced.

I liked Moyes don't get me wrong, but in my view he made little changes and seemed hesitant. LVG on the other hand seems very self confident in his decisions and ideas, and you can see the confidence rubbing off on the players. Yes LVG reign hasn't been great as of yet but he has had to deal with a lot in terms of changes and injuries.

Just like in the Moyes era there are some fans who are already calling for LVGs head. I don't see how we can fully judge his performance until the end of the season like most level headed fans did with Moyes last season. People make out that every United fan in the world was calling for Moyes to be sacked after every game that didn't go to plan, and give out that we don't do the same for LVG.

In reality most level headed fans hoped Moyes would do well and fully wanted him to do for the entirety of his spell with us. A lot of us were upset it didn't work out but thats football, it's completely pointless to compare LVG now to Moyes or to even talk about sacking him. Wait and see how we do first before condemning him.

I'm sorry for the long winded post but I really am sick of people complaining about United fans having "blind faith" in LVG. I would call it more of a balanced belief to be honest.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its a completely different situation though, in the case of the Patriots it was the same head coach/offensive and defensive co-ordinators.

A new man at the top needs time to do his thing. Moyes did not get enough time, Van Gaal comes in then after Moyes does the dirty work and he should have already improved them. The players he has brought in have not made a huge difference. I was surprised that he didn't look to strengthen the defense more and it could be the reason United fail, if they do.

He does deserve to get the time to get it right though but they should be better than last year already considering how much money was spent.

Not like for like naturally, but just that things need time to be worked out and click, even if they look terrible sometimes they generally aren't as bad as they seem.

Without getting into the transfers as we will have basic disagreements there, he strengthened the defence, he brought in a new first choice left back and centre back, bringing the number of centre backs at the club to 4 first teamsers then the likes of Blackett and McNair etc as backup, really should be enough in those positions in all honesty.

The team is working out the kinks, like the Pats, the offence is not clicking just yet while new players get used to playing together/system, like the Pats. The D will get better once players return to it and get used to playing together on some sort of consistent basis, like the Pats and so on.

You look at the summer signings, Shaw, wasn't fit after the world cup, took a while to get up to speed, starting to show his worth now, Rojo, injured, Herrera, injured, still not 100%, Falcao, injured, Blind has been good and an ever present and Di Maria who made a fantastic start but has been kept quiet since, he needs someone else to take a bit of the attacking burden as it is too easy for teams to focus on cutting off supply to and from him to stop us playing.

Its not actually been a team largely different to that of last season yet, the defence has been make shift every week, wingers and central midfielders playing there at this point, the whole team is suffering because of that, yet the style of play is better, the possession play is better, the team is starting to function better as a unit, both going forward and defensively. The progression is there to be seen and like last season when points followed performance, points will follow performance this season

We got away with some games last year while playing absolute ****e for a while, and the performances just continued to get worse. This year we have been punished more often for the mistakes but you can see the performance improving and the results follow. Of that I have no doubt.

As you say, if given the time he will get it right, there is a lot of panic/negativity and fear left over from last season, I understand that, but Louis Van Gaal is not David Moyes. He has been there and done it at top clubs, if you analyse his record his teams have often started slowly under him and just got stronger and stronger over the course of a season. The first 11 games could certainly have gone better, but it is foolish to read too much into early season form, look at Southampton and West Ham for example, if you are to judge them on the first 10 or 11 games they are going to be genuine top four and in Southamptons case, title challengers, but the reality is that is very unlikely.

United will continue to improve over the coming year and as long as top four is achieved he has certainly earned himself another season to hopefully launch a title challenge with next year while continuing his overhaul of the clubs methods, from bottom to top.

Yes we won but the performance was just so lethargic.Our defense wasn't really tested at all but we lacked the speed & imagination to break down Palace despite having 72% of the ball.Rooney for all his endeavour was poor creatively,RVP was virtually a passenger.Januzaj was poor but in fairness he had Valencia behind him who's terrified of going forward and helping him double up on the fullback.Di Maria had an injury scare before the game & wasn't on form.
    Maybe it was just one of those games where the result is more important than the performance.
    For the goal,I noticed how Fellaini spotted Val in space out wide & turned to pass it infield rather than give it to him.I reckon he knew giving it out to him would lead to it either going backwards or be smashed against the defenders shins.
    You see we just seem nervous because those in front don't seem to fully commit themselves forward, we seem to be using the easy pass a bit much and not looking for that defence splitting thru ball.. IMO that's because we seem to prefer to prick around with the ball with nice easy passes in case we inadvertently put our make shift defence under pressure.

I fully expect when we sort out the back that the hard maybe risky pass will be on again and we will reap the rewards. You really can't blame the lads in the middle, even Rooney from playing the easy, slow pass to help out the lads at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You've changed your tune, you wanted him sacked immediately last week. Why have you changed your mind ?

Stop reacting to him!!! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Does anyone else think Mata should be starting instead of Rooney? He's a shadow of the player he once was in my opinion.

Valmont wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Mata should be starting instead of Rooney? He's a shadow of the player he once was in my opinion.
    Rooney could have got 2 yesterday and should have scored v City... I would be more inclined to drop RVP.

They should both be starting, with Mata behind Rooney behind Falcao/RVP in my opinion.

You see we just seem nervous because those in front don't seem to fully commit themselves forward, we seem to be using the easy pass a bit much and not looking for that defence splitting thru ball.. IMO that's because we seem to prefer to prick around with the ball with nice easy passes in case we inadvertently put our make shift defence under pressure.

I fully expect when we sort out the back that the hard maybe risky pass will be on again and we will reap the rewards. You really can't blame the lads in the middle, even Rooney from playing the easy, slow pass to help out the lads at the back.

There was one stage in the 2nd half where you could hear the groans from the crowd as we passed the ball around at the back.De Gea got more touches of the ball in those minutes than in the whole of the rest of the game.
    We had too many conservative players on the field,Carrick,Blind & Valencia are 3 who specialise in tidy,safe passing which keeps the ball but will hardly hurt the opposition.Herrera should have been given some game time yesterday & Rooney pushed on into a forward role.
    At least Falcao & Rafael confirmed they'll be fit for the Arsenal game,time to give RVP a rest methinks.

Honestly I would have Mata starting, but I wouldn't drop Rooney. I think he's been playing well for us. If anything ,based on form, RVP would be dropped before Rooney in my opinion.

There was one stage in the 2nd half where you could hear the groans from the crowd as we passed the ball around at the back.De Gea got more touches of the ball in those minutes than in the whole of the rest of the game.
    We had too many conservative players on the field,Carrick,Blind & Valencia are 3 who specialise in tidy,safe passing which keeps the ball but will hardly hurt the opposition.Herrera should have been given some game time yesterday & Rooney pushed on into a forward role.
    At least Falcao & Rafael confirmed they'll be fit for the Arsenal game,time to give RVP a rest methinks.

At that point we were winning though and they were just trying to kill the game as they have been so often of not doing, I think a little nervousness and eagerness to hold onto the ball in a safe manner, making the opposition chase and tire themselves out is understandable.

Van Gaal picked up on it in his post match interview, he was happy they decided to kill the game, but he would have wanted them to do it by passing it around further up the pitch, it makes things easier.

Yep it was almost a panic to simplicate it too much to keep the ball - we were going nowhere but passing it for the sake of it because it was easy - but tbh though you cant blame the lads for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Our defensive crisis is unprecedented,

there is nothing unprecedented about Jones, Rafael, Evans and Smalling being injured (and you could say all at once either for that matter), when its been happening since they all joined the club.

most realistic fans knew this was going to happen yet it seemed that nobody within the club planned adequately for it during the summer. theres fundamental issues with the fitness and injury prevention set up at the club and its been there for 6 years now - its about time that it was sorted once and for all but it looks like the club just dont know how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

there is nothing unprecedented about Jones, Rafael, Evans and Smalling being injured (and you could say all at once either for that matter), when its been happening since they all joined the club.

most realistic fans knew this was going to happen yet it seemed that nobody within the club planned adequately for it during the summer. theres fundamental issues with the fitness and injury prevention set up at the club and its been there for 6 years now - its about time that it was sorted once and for all but it looks like the club just dont know how.

Are you really that confident that it's the club's fault? What evidence do you have? And please don't say the volume of injuries as this by itself doesn't prove anything. Correlation does not equal causation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement