Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mata has a degree in Journalism from Spain and studied Sports Science and Marketing in London when he was with Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why are footballers always seem as dim? is just because they didnt go to college?
    I reckon they are like everyone who didnt go to college, pretty normal, but with lots of money to do what they want and learn what they want,so essentially, probably smarter than their peers.

You dont really hear that about GAA players or rugby players.

you could do with proofreading your post before posting especially when its questioning someone's intelligence.Grammar:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Rooney hired a tutor at aged 22 to help him pass GCSE maths and english because he didn't get them at 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

yabadabado wrote: »
    you could do with proofreading your post before posting especially when its questioning someone's intelligence.Grammar:eek:

You could do with not trying to be a smart arse and maybe read the post and try to understand what was said.

I didn't question anyone's intelligence. I was questioning the medias perception.

Also, my grammar is fine, it was the syntax because I was posting and dropping the kids off at the pool.

So maybe learn more about English and then you can make smart arse comments without burning yourself.

Totes Lolz bbz
    Xoxoxo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Argentina v Brazil on ITV4 atm. Di Maria and Rojo playing. Rojo at LB though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

bedrock#1 wrote: »
    Bit late with the reply but heard recently that Glen Johnson is studying for a maths degree
    takes all sorts, stereotypes...

Great. It will help him count the times he gets caught out of position. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You could do with not trying to be a smart arse and maybe read the post and try to understand what was said.

I didn't question anyone's intelligence. I was questioning the medias perception.

Also, my grammar is fine, it was the syntax because I was posting and dropping the kids off at the pool.

So maybe learn more about English and then you can make smart arse comments without burning yourself.

Totes Lolz bbz
    Xoxoxo
    Can no one take a joke around here.

You need to relax,no need to be so touchy .Don't be acting like such a little bitch.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Can no one take a joke around here.

You need to relax,no need to be so touchy .Don't be acting like such a little bitch.

w0JGccC.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If we did get Vidal does anyone think he would actually be play as a number 10 behind the 2 strikers

• Advertisement

If we did get Vidal does anyone think he would actually be play as a number 10 behind the 2 strikers

Where do you get your weird questions?

Why would anyone think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Surely their must be something in the charter about this. Pops in once a week to ask a question, offer no opinion and never reply to anybody that responds unless it's a childish response nothing to do with the question.

The answer is no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

But both Mata and Rooney are better players than Seijder...
    rooney is not a better number 10 than sneijder.. plus sneijder will be on a free... could defo see him at united seeing the dutch ties at club.

my point is sell rooney or mata and that money could be invested in defense or midfield

REALLY??

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As an addition to this, does anyone think when United get Reus that he should sit behind Vidal and Di Maria

Kind of like this
    ---Reus---
    Vidal--Di Maria
    ---Ronaldo--
    Falcao--Diego Costa

rooney is not a better number 10 than sneijder.. plus sneijder will be on a free... could defo see him at united seeing the dutch ties at club.

my point is sell rooney or mata and that money could be invested in defense or midfield

Rooney is a far better number 10 than Sneijder.

We don't need to sell Rooney or Mata to buy a defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Once upon a time this might have been true, Sneider has declined significantly though.

We don't need to sell to invest let alone the 2 players mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Rooney is a far better number 10 than Sneijder.

We don't need to sell Rooney or Mata to buy a defender.

Ah stop that's just ludicrous.

Rooney is not a better 10 than Sneijder. No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

By all accounts, Sneijder isn't the player he once was. I haven't watched much of him since he moved to Turkey but I think you're being very harsh on Rooney here.

I just presume you haven't watched Sneijder in a few years.

do you regularly watch wesley sneijder??

• Advertisement

do you regularly watch wesley sneijder??

I have seen him a few times over the last few years yes from watching matches i back in and the world cup and he is a shadow of him former self. Do you watch him much yourself.

I have seen him a few times over the last few years yes from watching matches i back in and the world cup and he is a shadow of him former self. Do you watch him much yourself.
    similar to yourself but lets be honest he wasnt the only big name to have a mediocre world cup.

he is still only 30 if we got him on a free why not he has a touch of class to his game.

and why shouldnt united sell to buy after all we are imo too heavy upfront and too light at the back. (not directed at anyone btw)

the money is far from endless for united and the board are gonna want to see money saved also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Well a few times in a few years is hardly a big enough sample size to judge him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Can't really imagine us bringing anymore big names during the January window. We have spent loads already. The board won't just keep throwing VG money they will want results.

We have some tough games coming up, hopefully we can get some good results and stay in the top 4. Would be a huge confidence boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Are people honestly sayin sneijder is a better 10 than rooney???!!!:eek: the stat the other day showed rooney was better than aguero in goals and assists in like 3 games more than aguero.
    now in all fairness rooney was not played as a cf in all those games prob shunted out left, right even midfield for some of those games while all the while aguero was played as cf.
    In those games rooney was not played as a cf he would in my opinion still have contributed more goals assists than sneijder did. 16 goals and 7 assists in 3 yrs at galatasary. Rooney in the last 3 yrs at man utd 32 goals 23 assists. League form for both players.
    yeah lads lets get rid of rooney for sneijder:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Can't really imagine us bringing anymore big names during the January window. We have spent loads already. The board won't just keep throwing VG money they will want results.

We have some tough games coming up, hopefully we can get some good results and stay in the top 4. Would be a huge confidence boost.

Pretty certain the opposite will happen. We will make major moves again.

Are people honestly sayin sneijder is a better 10 than rooney???!!!:eek: the stat the other day showed rooney was better than aguero in goals and assists in like 3 games more than aguero.
    now in all fairness rooney was not played as a cf in all those games prob shunted out left, right even midfield for some of those games while all the while aguero was played as cf.
    In those games rooney was not played as a cf he would in my opinion still have contributed more goals assists than sneijder did. 16 goals and 7 assists in 3 yrs at galatasary. Rooney in the last 3 yrs at man utd 32 goals 23 assists. League form for both players.

Some people seem to let their dislike for Rooney to cloud their vision on him as a player.

It's about balancing the books lads if we can bring sneijder in on a free and sell rooney or mate then that's good business it lowers wages and puts money in the tank to attribute to the squad.

Are you thinking the cash reserves are endless? It's what's best for the club we should be thinking. Remember that Falcao hasn't been paid for YET. add into that the fact we need a world class cm and a couple of defenders. They won't come cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Pretty certain the opposite will happen. We will make major moves again.

Maybe so, we will just have to wait and see, I just think after the spending that was done during the summer bringing in world class players that the board will wait until next summer before dishing out similar money.

Only time will tell though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The metro is just awful tabloid muck. I'd pretty much take anything they say as bull****.

We aren't signing Sneijder. That ship sailed 5 years ago.

The suggestion that he's a better 10 than Rooney is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I am far from Rooney's biggest fan, and Sneijder was on e one of my favourite players in the world. But let's not be stupid here this "story" doesn't even deserve to be discussed. At this stage in their careers, Rooney is easily better.

And whoever said we should sell Mata as well, I actually don't even know what to say to that! :o

No one said to sell Rooney. Someone raised the point that Rooney is not a goo #10 but a very good striker. Hence the goals/assists stats you just quoted.
    Some people seem to let their dislike for Rooney to cloud their vision on him as a player.

No one said they dislike Rooney. Stop strawmanning the pair of ye

By all accounts, Sneijder isn't the player he once was. I haven't watched much of him since he moved to Turkey but I think you're being very harsh on Rooney here.

I couldn't agree more, Sneijder has been poor recently in the Turkish league but who would expect otherwise when he's clearly phoning it in for the money.

I mean how many games has Rooney even played as a No.10? To say people are hailing him as better than one of the best in the last 10-15 years?

You'd be quite wrong tbh, as has been said many times here I watch a fair bit of foreign league football as I bet on a lot of it, i have seen him quite a good few times over the last few years and while it's clear he is only phoning it in over in Turkey, he is still a technically better and more aware No.10 than Rooney.

And some people like to skew facts to make their opinion seem more valid.

Rooney played 1300 more minutes than Aguero in that timeframe(something weirdly left out by fellow United fans), which is the equivalent of 15 games.

Also the fact you are saying Rooney is a good 10 based on a comparison of his stats to Aguero makes me feel like you don't understand what a No.10 actually is or does.

I couldn't agree more, Sneijder has been poor recently in the Turkish league but who would expect otherwise when he's clearly phoning it in for the money.

I mean how many games has Rooney even played as a No.10? To say people are hailing him as better than one of the best in the last 10-15 years?

So Sneijder has been playing poor in a poor league like he also did in the world cup.

Rooney has played the majority of the past 3 seasons as a no.10 and had a goal and assist ratio to match most strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Marca in Spain linking De Gea with a move to Real Madrid as the replacement for Casillas. They say De Gea likes the idea.

DDG's contract runs out in 2016, time for a pay rise and contract extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Yeah would definitely like to see De Gea signed up on a long term deal. I'm sure with the new project at Utd he's up for stayin too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I fear that we'll be fighting a losing battle with David De Gea.

The odds have to be in favour of a move back to Spain if his career continues on this trajectory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

I wouldn't be too worried about DDG if we keep the Spanish theme going, not a day goes by where pictures don't emerge of DDG, Mata, Rojo etc laughing and smiling together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Miss out on CL again and the idea of DDG leaving won't be too far fetched

• Advertisement

So Sneijder has been playing poor in a poor league like he also did in the world cup.

Rooney has played the majority of the past 3 seasons as a no.10 and had a goal and assist ratio to match most strikers.

Why are you comparing Rooneys assist output to Striker's if you're saying he is playing as a number 10?

Make up your mind.

"The majority of the past 3 seasons" Is not a statistic, It's not even a number, I'd wager Rooney has played less than 40 games as the No.10 over the last 3 seasons, including the 2 games this season he played as No.10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

De Gea will leave at some point, he said so in his farewell letter to Atletico a few years ago...
    “It’s been just over a week since I signed the contract with my new team. It seems like yesterday when I was four and joined for the first time Atleti in Casarrubuelos. From the plane I travel in to join Manchester United I remember with nostalgia, that this nostalgic feeling will be my traveling companion for a long time. Like any child, every evening was accompanied by excitement and my parents (without their support none of this would have been possible) with the sole aim of defending the goal of Calderón someday.”

“A little over a year and a half I completed my dream and sealed it with two titles, I will never forget that feeling, I will never forget the people’s faces painted red and white. I can not forget neither the tears of Barcelona, ​​behind the chants of support for us.”

“Today, 16 years later, I undertake a new challenge with the same enthusiasm of the boy and the eternal gratitude of a feeling, that only we understand, that I will carry forever in my heart regardless of the badge that adorns my chest.”

“I see from the airplane window how I leave behind my house, thanks to my new club for the opportunity it provides me with the security there to finish my education from a distance, that they only put the miles, you are proud of that boy who dreamed that the Calderon would sing his name.”

“A thousand feet above the ground I remember, now more than ever, all the teammates, coaches and club workers who made it possible that the child is now a man.”

“Winning a title there is a mix of smiles and tears. This is what happens to me now, tears because I am leaving , smiles for the illusion of something new, but also the assurance that someday I will return home. Thanks for everything.”
    Be grand though, we'll sell him for about £100 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

J. Marston wrote: »
    De Gea will leave at some point, he said so in his farewell letter to Atletico a few years ago...

Be grand though, we'll sell him for about £100 million.

He can return home when he's 50.

Yeah because what we say when we are 19 to please people is what we will be thinking a few years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can worry about that at end of season.

I said it a while back, contracts mean f all. Its all about bromances. Get that man tied down into 15 different bromances and he'll still be in nets for us in 15 years time.

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I said it a while back, contracts mean f all. Its all about bromances. Get that man tied down into 15 different bromances and he'll still be in nets for us in 15 years time.

Exactly. You are on a permanent contract in work, dosent meant you can't leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Jesus Christ Valencia

Caught out sending news accoriding to tomorrows Sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Jesus Christ Valencia

Caught out sending news accoriding to tomorrows Sun

What?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Sun's front page has pictures of Valencia with the headline that he's been texting "filthy nude pics to two women".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

At least we know where his end product has been going now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement