Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Neither is RVP, or Januzaj

So all our forwards are off form

Indeed they are. So are all the defenders. The midfield is ticking over though.

Progress I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Moyes is officially confirmed as Real Sociedad head coach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Good for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hope he is a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

NUTZZ wrote: »

Think hell do a great job for them. Always thought hed be great with smaller clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I wish him all the best, interesting to see how he gets on with the language barrier, though I believe he speaks Spanish anyway, I'd love to hear how it sounds with the Scottish twang :)

Hope he is a success there, but not exactly the club to take him to prominance, maybe rebuild his rep a bit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He will be gone before the seasons ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

They haven't got a bad squad, could get them Europa league if he gets the defence sorted out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Couldn't care less how he gets on tbh. Don't wish him ill will but have no interest in the mans future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I would really like to see us go after Vertonghen in January. Out of favour at Spurs despite being by far their best defender. A far better option than Meric. Even Vlaar would be a decent short gap solution. The problem is that we're likely going to have to get rid of a few CB's before bringing some in.

If we're going to stick to a 4-3-3 surely Depay must be on van Gaal's radar. Mata doesn't really suit playing directly wide in a 4-3-3 and Adnan is just playing terrible at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Good for him , I hope he does well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

glued wrote: »
    I would really like to see us go after Vertonghen in January. Out of favour at Spurs despite being by far their best defender. A far better option than Meric. Even Vlaar would be a decent short gap solution. The problem is that we're likely going to have to get rid of a few CB's before bringing some in.

If we're going to stick to a 4-3-3 surely Depay must be on van Gaal's radar. Mata doesn't really suit playing directly wide in a 4-3-3 and Adnan is just playing terrible at the moment.

He's been pretty bad any time I've seen him this season but that whole back 4 lacks any cohesion. Spurs messed up by allowing Sandro to leave. There back 4 is always exposed. Still Vertonghen would at least be fit which means we should buy him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BBC had a rather odd graphic on their story until a few minutes ago:

328021.png

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

^^ Just a typo. Put 34 where it says 56 and all is right with the world... Except those stats :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

glued wrote: »

Vertonghen could be a very good buy. If Spurs stick with Kaboul and Fazio then thats better for us in more ways than one.

Getting rid of a CB might not be such a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Headshot wrote: »
    He will be gone before the seasons ends

20 euro bet to charity says he isn't.

It will rain for 3 hours tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

zerks wrote:
    Just read that we scored 1 goal this season from 69 corners & haven't scored from the last 65. That's pretty shocking.RVP was brilliant at taking them so why isn't he on them this season.It's as if anyone taking them gets a dose of Giggsitis-for 2 decades he took them and was useless.This trend is continuing and pretty poor form considering the amount of them we get.Perhaps LVG should bring in Pulis for a week to show how to do it properly.

RVP started of delivering the ball well, then half way through his debut season he just started floating everything to the far post which was incredibly easy to defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

beno619 wrote: »
    RVP started of delivering the ball well, then half way through his debut season he just started floating everything to the far post which was incredibly easy to defend.

It must be an instruction the players are getting. Like valencias crossing in recent years. Surely someone has told him to stop drilling it low every time because that too is too easy to defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RichFTW wrote: »
    Not even close to last year bad.

It was close to it. Compare it with the palace game last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The only positive were.

Shaw finally starting to show what a beast he is going to be.
    Carrick 90 minutes on the pitch.
    Kept a clean sheet.
    Awful but picked up three points and confidence should be high with a few players back from injury for the Arsenal game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Read an article yesterday (I think by Miguel Delaney) that said LVG had said the new system we've used the last few matches (4-1-4-1) has made us defensively more solid but is limiting the attacking threat. I would agree. Di Maria needs to be central rather than on the wing. Everything looked more fluid with him there. I think if we buy a good solid not injury-prone CB or 2 the attacking threat will become a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I see Falcao and Jones are both due back on the 22nd, according to physioroom. Can we keep them apart whilst training this time please? :P

Normally I hate IB's, but seeing as there are 7 players still injured (4 of them defenders) it does buy some time in order to get some of them back. I wonder if VG will buy a defender or two in January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I see Falcao and Jones are both due back on the 22nd, according to physioroom. Can we keep them apart whilst training this time please? :P

Normally I hate IB's, but seeing as there are 7 players still injured (4 of them defenders) it does buy some time in order to get some of them back. I wonder if VG will buy a defender or two in January?

He just has to bring in 2 defenders, since day one he has struggled to field a proper defence and it's only gotten worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Moyes should sell us Inigo Martinez.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If we bring in one, I think we'll likely see one leave too though.

When fit, we have Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo (and then McNair and Blackett). Are any of them going to be happy playing 5th or 6th fiddle?

Don't get me wrong, we need defenders, and honestly I wouldn't mind if Smalling or Evans were moved on. Ideally right now, I'd be looking for two new CBs for the first team, with Jones and Rojo being backups and one of Smalling or Evans moved on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Are any of them going to be happy playing 5th or 6th fiddle?

Frankly, who gives a toss whether they are happy or not. There are no Ferdinands or Vidics there, and there isn't a single one of them that I would lose sleep over should they want to leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Frankly, who gives a toss whether they are happy or not. There are no Ferdinands or Vidics there, and there isn't a single one of them that I would lose sleep over should they want to leave.

Not saying I "give a toss" one way or the other. ore just curiosity over who loses out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think Blackett and McNair would obviously lose out most as they would more then likely drop back behind the others in the pecking order, though their good showing in the first team might help sort out a decent loan for them which would be beneficial to us, playing a good game here and there is a lot different to playing well week in week out, and young players often raise their game for the first team, but are not able to consistently perform to the required level, nothing wrong with that, but a loan would be good for the development obviously.

Inserting some titanium into our other defenders may be cheaper in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

See this stat being banded around Twitter today

"David Moyes' win rate at Manchester United: 52.94%

Brendan Rodgers' win rate at Liverpool: 52.63% "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

kryogen wrote: »
    I think Blackett and McNair would obviously lose out most as they would more then likely drop back behind the others in the pecking order, though their good showing in the first team might help sort out a decent loan for them which would be beneficial to us, playing a good game here and there is a lot different to playing well week in week out, and young players often raise their game for the first team, but are not able to consistently perform to the required level, nothing wrong with that, but a loan would be good for the development obviously.

Inserting some titanium into our other defenders may be cheaper in the long run

I think some of them would break even if they were dipped in adamantium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

As stupid a comparison as with Van Gaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Couldn't give a flying f*ck about Brendan Rodgers stats. lets worry about our own team. Some fella just trying to start another trolling war!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Maybe try a comparison between them last season as brod has had 3(?) seasons so a lot more games.

Or you can compare the 2 of them over a same time limit. It's stupid doing it with 1 season versus 3.

Also let's just ignore the fact, they finished higher and nearly won the leauge, man utd were clearly better than Liverpool last year, sure just look at these stats I manipulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looking more likely that Valdes will be offered a contract at United,Lindegaard will most likely be gone in January so we'll need him.Of course The Star put their usual spin on it & say De Gea is going to Madrid (zero evidence of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

zerks wrote: »
    The Star put their usual spin on it & say De Gea is going to Madrid (zero evidence of course).

The Star were running a story blaming Wenger's new coat for them not being able to hold on to a lead.

I think that says everything about that particular rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

DDG's a tad handy with the basketball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

In fairness one took over the reigning champions who had just won the league at a canter. A squad that had dominated the premiership pretty much since its inception ,and a squad that took twice as much money to put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

While I agree that we need a top class CB in January, who can stay fit, I don't agree with some people's idea that all our cb's are rubbish. Here's what I think:
    Smalling - Not up to it, needs to go.
    Evans - Has shown he can perform consistently well, but not much of a leader. I'd let him leave if it was to make room for someone of better quality (ie Hummels)
    Jones - I honestly think he has huge potential if he can just stay fit. Wouldn't like to see him go.
    Rojo- Haven't seen enough of him yet, but hasn't really impressed me. Hopefully he'll be more of a squad player in future, or prove me wrong.
    McNair and Blackett are two for the future, loan spells with a decent club could do them well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What irritates me about Smalling is that he can look amazing. He was superb vs Chelsea, brilliant. Was a f-up vs City with two stupid bookings.

Remember a while ago when he looked to be forming a first choice partnership with Vidic, legitimately keeping Rio out of the side. So long ago now...

His passing is his weakest aspect, even when on form - but if he could play at his best consistently (which is what is required of any top player) he would be first choice imo. A smarter, more positionally aware CB than Jones, with better physical attributes than Evans. Problem is he goes from looking quality to looking like he should be playing Sunday League far to quickly.

If we can combine Jones/Smalling/Evans into one, build him with adamantium, we would be sorted. We have the technology.

They all have the abilty to be very very good but keep getting sent off or injured. Have they ever played more than 5 games in a row?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

In fairness one took over the reigning champions who had just won the league at a canter. A squad that had dominated the premiership pretty much since its inception ,and a squad that took twice as much money to put together.

Ah the money thing again. I would show you how VERY wrong you are but don't really have the time on my phone to do so. Maybe after work if I'm bored :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Liverpool the season before Rodgers took over: 8th place, 52 points.
    And the season before that: 6th place, 58 points.

Man Utd the season before Moyes took over: 1st place, 89 points.
    And the season before that: 2nd place only on goal difference, 89 points.

Also Rogers draw percentage is 24.13% whereas Moyes was 17.65%.

Rogers loss percentage is 23% whereas Moyes was 32.35%.

Rogers points per game is 1.83 while Moyes was 1.68 - a difference of 5.7 points over a season.

EDIT: I was using league only where Rogers win rate is 52.87% and Moyes was bang on 50%. The comparison quoted just have been including FA cup, CL, Europa League and Carling Cup I am assuming.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Liverpool the season before Rodgers took over: 8th place, 52 points.
    And the season before that: 6th place, 58 points.

Man Utd the season before Moyes took over: 1st place, 89 points.
    And the season before that: 2nd place only on goal difference, 89 points.

Also Rogers draw percentage is 24.13% whereas Moyes was 17.65%.

Rogers loss percentage is 23% whereas Moyes was 32.35%.

Rogers points per game is 1.83 while Moyes was 1.68 - a difference of 5.7 points over a season.

EDIT: I was using league only where Rogers win rate is 52.87% and Moyes was bang on 50%.

Not sure if im over tired and my head isnt working, If he had turned some of them loses into draws and some of those draws into wins, he would still be in the job and be called a relative success. Just a bit more luck.

There is a fine line between success and failure, or from 3rd to 7th. I trust LVG to do a better job though, so kinda glad he wasnt very lucky.

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah the money thing again. I would show you how VERY wrong you are but don't really have the time on my phone to do so. Maybe after work if I'm bored :p
    Liverpool net spend, June 2012 - present... 123mn pounds, average of 40.75 per season or 20.6 per season.
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/transfers/verein/31/saison_id/2012
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/transfers/verein/31/saison_id/2013
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/transfers/verein/31/saison_id/2014

Man Utd net spend, June 2013 - May 2014... 59 million pounds, or 29.5mn per window.
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-united/transfers/verein/985/saison_id/2013

That's before going into the fact that our wage bill surely dwarfs theirs.

• Advertisement

Not sure if im over tired and my head isnt working, If he had turned some of them loses into draws and some of those draws into wins, he would still be in the job and be called a relative success. Just a bit more luck.

There is a fine line between success and failure, or from 3rd to 7th. I trust LVG to do a better job though, so kinda glad he wasnt very lucky.
    Not trying to be rude here bit isn't that a given? As in if you win more games you get more points. The problem is he didn't, and I really do t put a much of that at all down to luck. We weren't particularly badly hit by injuries, and dropped an awful lot of points when all we had to do was not concede in the end - it was the approach to single goal leads in the last 20 minutes that cost us there. Liverpool in 2012/13 were far more unlucky hitting the post over and over, and dominating games where for one reason or another they were just unable to come away with the win.

Also Chelsea finished 3rd last season, and by the time Moyes was sacked (4 games to go) they were on 75 points whereas we were on 57... that's really not that fine a line.

Gotta agree on Louis though!

We'll yeah. Obviously, I'm just saying if luck had been on his side in a couple of games. He was ****e in a load others.

Ah jaysus, of course we spend more than Liverpool. I would be worried if we didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Yikes, anyone watchng Revista De La Liga here? Some bombshells getting dropped.

Did Ramón Calderón just say he decided to buy Ronaldo after seeing him in "the final against Milan with Kaka in the other team" ???

When the f*** did that happen? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

explain further?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement