Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Unearthly wrote: »
    explain further?

I only turned in when I saw that post, so missed it but Ramón Calderón is on so could be some interesting stuff from him. He seems a bit of an eejit though, and frankly divorced from reality - got asked why the La Liga TV money is so unequally divided (see below) and his answer was basically it's not fair that the Premiership gets more money than La Liga because La Liga has the two best players in the world.

Of course, he seems to completely fail to notice that the unequal TV deal is a huge part of why they get less money - it's just not competitive in comparison, it's fairly standard for either of those to teams to walk away with 100 points a year. So while they have money to sign off on a 100mn player a year plus more, half the league is likely in a far poorer financial position than say Burnley. But at the same time he is bragging about being the guy who signed off on that TV deal.

In the Premiership last year, Liverpool got the most at 74.1mn, followed by 71.9 for us, Chelsea and City, 71.1 for Spurs... and the bottom 5 all got 60.8mn. Meanwhile in Spain, Barca and Madrid got 118.6mn each, with Valencia second on 37.6,then Atlético on 32.9 then Sevilla on 25mn... The bottom 5 all got 14.1mn. Madrid and and Barca get over half between the two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Billy86 wrote: »
    Liverpool net spend, June 2012 - present... 123mn pounds, average of 40.75 per season or 20.6 per season.
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/transfers/verein/31/saison_id/2012
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/transfers/verein/31/saison_id/2013
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/transfers/verein/31/saison_id/2014

Man Utd net spend, June 2013 - May 2014... 59 million pounds, or 29.5mn per window.
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-united/transfers/verein/985/saison_id/2013

That's before going into the fact that our wage bill surely dwarfs theirs.

How is that relative to what Moyes inherited? Very random figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Calderón said Fergie is obsessed with Madrid. Doesn't like them one bit, so much so that he insisted that if Ronaldo was going it was not to Madrid.

He claims UTD offered CR7 to Barcelona before Madrid such was Fergies distain.

Imagine that, both Messi and CR7 in the same team. It was a possibility at one time if Calderón is to be believed.

Less sensationally he claims Ronaldo called him and said Fergie is like a father figure to me so I'm staying another year but will come to Madrid next year.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I only turned in when I saw that post, so missed it but Ramón Calderón is on so could be some interesting stuff from him. He seems a bit of an eejit though, and frankly divorced from reality - got asked why the La Liga TV money is so unequally divided (see below) and his answer was basically it's not fair that the Premiership gets more money than La Liga because La Liga has the two best players in the world.

Of course, he seems to completely fail to notice that the unequal TV deal is a huge part of why they get less money - it's just not competitive in comparison, it's fairly standard for either of those to teams to walk away with 100 points a year. So while they have money to sign off on a 100mn player a year plus more, half the league is likely in a far poorer financial position than say Burnley. But at the same time he is bragging about being the guy who signed off on that TV deal.

In the Premiership last year, Liverpool got the most at 74.1mn, followed by 71.9 for us, Chelsea and City, 71.1 for Spurs... and the bottom 5 all got 60.8mn. Meanwhile in Spain, Barca and Madrid got 118.6mn each, with Valencia second on 37.6,then Atlético on 32.9 then Sevilla on 25mn... The bottom 5 all got 14.1mn. Madrid and and Barca get over half between the two of them.

Yes, as was illustrated with graphics on the show he was on.

Liam O wrote: »
    How is that relative to what Moyes inherited? Very random figures.

Misread the post, but he did take over a side that had no major losses and finished with 89 points two years running, winning the title once and closing out only on goal difference the other, whereas Rodgers took over a team that has finished 8th with 52 points the year before, and 6th with 58 the year before that.

Basically, Rodgers has done a far better job than Moyes did, and has both a better win percentage and draw percentage with Liverpool than Moyes did with us in the league.

Calderón said Fergie is obsessed with Madrid. Doesn't like them one bit, so much so that he insisted that if Ronaldo was going it was not to Madrid.

He claims UTD offered CR7 to Barcelona before Madrid such was Fergies distain.

Imagine that, both Messi and CR7 in the same team. It was a possibility at one time if Calderón is to be believed.

Less sensationally he claims Ronaldo called him and said Fergie is like a father figure to me so I'm staying another year but will come to Madrid next year.
    Actually one long forgotten bit of trivia is that when Barcelona signed Quaresma back in 2003, they were widely reported to have had a bit of a dilemma between going for him or Ronaldo, but chose the older player because he was considerably further along in his development at the time. As a result we got Ronaldo, but if they went the other way we most likely wouldn't have had much chance in getting him.

And yeah, they showed the graphic right before he gave the answer, delusional isn't even the word on his part. I think all these presidential campaigns may have just made sorting inane bullsh*t feel natural to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Looks like Falcao, Raf and others won't be starting against Arsenal due to injury.
    Asked if any of the quartet might return, Van Gaal said: “No, I don’t think so because now some of them have already not played for five, six, seven weeks. They could sit on the bench because they can play 20 minutes but I cannot put a lot of players who are not 100% fit on the bench. You saw what happened with [Paddy] McNair [getting cramp against Crystal Palace] because the rhythm of the game is very high in the Premier League.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/11/manchester-united-radamel-falcao-louis-van-gaal?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hae the permanent deal for falcao been done already?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yes. Come back to us in 15 games and then cast judgement on his time here.
    You did this the other day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes

I don't think it has, just a fee was agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The speculation has been that the fee and terms have been agreed, but the transfer definitely hasn't been done.

I don't think it has, just a fee was agreed.

Yeah sorry, it's been done in principal, just not triggered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Looks like Falcao, Raf and others won't be starting against Arsenal due to injury.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/11/manchester-united-radamel-falcao-louis-van-gaal?CMP=twt_gu

Article is from Jamie Jackson so no need to worry. The man is an idiot. Considering it is now an international break how could he have gotten such a quote from Van Gaal? Rafael said on his instagram today that he is back in training. How could he not be fit for the Arsenal game? Also Falcao is supposedly back in training and expected to be available. Not sure about the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Redo91 wrote: »
    Article is from Jamie Jackson so no need to worry. The man is an idiot. Considering it is now an international break how could he have gotten such a quote from Van Gaal? Rafael said on his instagram today that he is back in training. How could he not be fit for the Arsenal game? Also Falcao is supposedly back in training and expected to be available. Not sure about the rest.

Had quotes from De Gea aswell, think it could be from the United website. Think the quote from LVG is him saying that players can't just be thrown back in to start without mins under their belt after a decent spell out although I can't see any other option but to put Raf back in at RB for Arsenal.

Edit: don't see anything on the United site so don't know where he got the quotes from but regardless of previous articles, he's obviously got the quotes from LVG somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Rafael has only been out 2 or 3 weeks, he'll be grand to start i'd say. Jones and Evans not. Hopefully Falcao makes the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Falcao and Rafael both posted that they are fit and back to the training. Still have 10 days to recover completely.

Jamie Jackson is just posting nonsense with out a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Surely they have not considering he hasn't gotten a run of games yet. And all the chatter about his knee is worrying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Anderson could finally end his dismal United career with a return to Gremio in January.

Arguably Sir Alex Ferguson's most expensive flop, £27m signing Anderson has no future at Old Trafford and is out of contract in the summer.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/anderson-could-leave-united-january-8094145

jambofc wrote: »
    Anderson could finally end his dismal United career with a return to Gremio in January.

Arguably Sir Alex Ferguson's most expensive flop, £27m signing Anderson has no future at Old Trafford and is out of contract in the summer.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/anderson-could-leave-united-january-8094145

Why do people always get the price wrong :)

Whatever happens, he won't be a United player next season anyway, his contract is up isn't it, I'd like to see him go somewhere in January and earn himself a permanent contract there.

• Advertisement

jambofc wrote: »

18 Million pounds.

It was 28 for Nani and Anderson? Seems a pretty fair price for what we were buying. Wouldnt call him a flop, more so just unfortunate and peoples perceptions about his 'weight' cloud their judgement.

He has been rubbish for a long while but was good for a little while. Il be glad he will be gone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ah look at baby face De Gea :P

10565036_10152563213172746_1409995385628130138_n.jpg?oh=6f4bbbf4b598f05b082fd00d50d7eb8d&oe=54EC539B&__gda__=1423446669_35d93141781624f1e1529d3774be3714

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

advertsfox wrote: »
    Ah look at baby face De Gea :P

10565036_10152563213172746_1409995385628130138_n.jpg?oh=6f4bbbf4b598f05b082fd00d50d7eb8d&oe=54EC539B&__gda__=1423446669_35d93141781624f1e1529d3774be3714

Really important we tie him down too a new deal asap and keep madrid away from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Based off his start to his career at the club so far, spending €40million + on Falcao would be madness.

We should not commit to anything as so far he hasnt done much to show we should sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Off topic but posted in the tickets thread that I'm trying to get to the Spurs home game on March,two tickets.

Very early to be looking i know but as a first time visitor I want to get sorted early if possible instead of going the package deal route.

Any help be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

It was 28 for Nani and Anderson? Seems a pretty fair price for what we were buying. Wouldnt call him a flop, more so just unfortunate and peoples perceptions about his 'weight' cloud their judgement

United stated on their website the day they announced the signings (from nowhere, it took most of us totally by surprise) that they bought Nani & Anderson for a combined fee of £32M without giving a breakdown. It's only in the last few season United seem to be more forthcoming with what they pay for players and agent fees for that matter.

Every man and his dog knew Nani's release fee was £14M so being a mathematical genius I can work out Anderson's fee was £18M. Yet still to this day I see journalists and even wiki pages quote a fee of >£20M for Anderson and the same amount for Nani.

So either United lied about the combined fees which I highly doubt because it was at a time when United fans feared the Glazer's would only be asset stripping the club and not invest in the club properly or journalists as per usual have no idea about United's affairs and just guess.

Guillem Balague has pissed off CR7 by the looks of it. I wonder will he take him to court.

United stated on their website the day they announced the signings (from nowhere, it took most of us totally by surprise) that they bought Nani & Anderson for a combined fee of £32M without giving a breakdown. It's only in the last few season United seem to be more forthcoming with what they pay for players and agent fees for that matter.

Every man and his dog knew Nani's release fee was £14M so being a mathematical genius I can work out Anderson's fee was £18M. Yet still to this day I see journalists and even wiki pages quote a fee of >£20M for Anderson and the same amount for Nani.

So either United lied about the combined fees which I highly doubt because it was at a time when United fans feared the Glazer's would only be asset stripping the club and not invest in the club properly or journalists as per usual have no idea about United's affairs and just guess.

Easy to see why there is a confusion. Porto announced that they got 30 Million Euros for Anderson, back then in 2007 pound was much stronger than Euro which meant ManUtd paid 18 Million pounds.

Journalists either ignorantly or to make better headline use today's exchange rate which gives this more than 25 Million price.

Journalists are just as thick as footballers. If the price is quoted in Euros they will just use pound sign without even converting the number to pounds. Likewise they use today's exchange rate for the deal that happened in 2007 which is silly.

Yeah happens all the time when you see those lists of most expensive flops, especially around the 00's

Even this year with falcao and his wages, adding it into the loan fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

RVP picked up a knock in training out for a week at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

223vmax wrote: »
    Could it be Wilsons time to shine??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

223vmax wrote: »

Blessing in disguise???

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Journalists are just as thick as footballers. If the price is quoted in Euros they will just use pound sign without even converting the number to pounds. Likewise they use today's exchange rate for the deal that happened in 2007 which is silly.

I sometimes feel this way, but more often I feel there is an agenda. Fergie was hated by journalists, a lot of the times deservedly tbh, other times it was because he hurt their inflated ego's. If there is any way to take cheap shots at him they will purposefully act ignorantly.

Blessing in disguise???

Exactly, play Rooney up front, he loves playing against Arsenal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would the week just be the internAtional break?

I hope so, feckin injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yes. Come back to us in 15 games and then cast judgement on his time here.
    You did this the other day.

What are you on about?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

seeing a story on facebook saying van gaal willing to accept offers of 20 or more million for mata...

http://lockerdome.com/footballnews1/6170047139808833/7144012612246801

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

seeing a story on facebook saying van gaal willing to accept offers of 20 or more million for mata...

http://lockerdome.com/footballnews1/6170047139808833/7144012612246801

♫ If you leave me now, you take away the biggest part of me
    Oooooooh Mata, please don't go ♫

You're going to see a lot more shít like that posted by me over the next ten days with nothing United related to talk about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Don't want Mata to go. Rooney's a better no.10 in my opinion, but in an ideal world we'd play mata behind rooney and falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

advertsfox wrote: »
    Could it be Wilsons time to shine??

Errm Rooney up top please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Slow week...
    International weeks are sooooooooo boring

No way Mata is going, there's more players who would be available to sell before the Special Juan

We need to have a quality squad before next season when we're back in the CL. Juan is one of the players we'll need. Don't forget Rooney, Falcao and RVP are late 20's early 30's so we'll need guys in their mid 20's to boost the squad. No point having a team of no experinced players when a Falcao (if he stays), Rooney or RVP is no longer there, thats where your Mata, Angel etc are important

Carrick is injured now, groin injury.

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 7m7 minutes ago
    Sky Sources: Michael Carrick to have scan on groin injury #SSNHQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

poo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Guillem Balague has pissed off CR7 by the looks of it. I wonder will he take him to court.
    zorro2566 wrote: »

This is rather funny in that they were discussing this on Off the ball last night, and taking it as fact what Ballague wrote.
    Then Ronaldo posted about suing anyone who was spreading these lies and they read this out and decided it was better to step away from that discussion.

Ballague probably made up the relationship being like Ireland and Britain too.

I wonder does Monaco have that deposit now that we gave to Atletico for Falcao...

Carrick inured after being rushed back from injury shock horror.

Carrick inured after being rushed back from injury shock horror.

Rushed back? He was given enough time to recover. Also his previous injury was ankle injury, this time groin.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Rushed back? He was given enough time to recover. Also his previous injury was ankle injury, this time groin.

Yeah he was given time and then was forced to pay 60 mins as a sub and then a full 90. He should have been eased back into things with a few 20 minute sub appearances. This was not possibly for obvious reasons of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement