Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Yeah he was given time and then was forced to pay 60 mins as a sub and then a full 90. He should have been eased back into things with a few 20 minute sub appearances. This was not possibly for obvious reasons of course.

He was second half sub against City then against Palace he played as CM for around 60 mins and was dropped back to CB position where he hardly had to do anything.

On the whole yeah I agree, he played more mins than he should have been after coming back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Ive said this before and not many agree with me , but Carrick is finished. Says it all when he was noved to Centre back against Palace, to allow Blind to move up the field and actually pass the ball with a degree of urgency and pace. If he is to have a future in the squad at this stage it will probably be as a back up CB , i dont think he is upto anything more than that at this stage in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

akelly02 wrote: »
    Ive said this before

don't say it again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ive said this before and not many agree with me , but Carrick is finished. Says it all when he was noved to Centre back against Palace, to allow Blind to move up the field and actually pass the ball with a degree of urgency and pace. If he is to have a future in the squad at this stage it will probably be as a back up CB , i dont think he is upto anything more than that at this stage in his career.

d661802c98c134c7f2f7c118aa6d8751ffea8f7f3f74c507eef6d5f4a50d0aba.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kryogen wrote: »
    I hope so, feckin injuries

I say again.

FECKIN INJURIES!

• Advertisement

Ive said this before and not many agree with me , but Carrick is finished. Says it all when he was noved to Centre back against Palace, to allow Blind to move up the field and actually pass the ball with a degree of urgency and pace.

Bookmarked for the next time I to give somebody an example of conjecture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kryogen wrote: »
    Bookmarked for the next time I to give somebody an example of conjecture

It's Carrick, he could be the best in his position in the league for a full season and people would still want to try to hate him for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I don't think we will see Carrick rediscover the form he showed in the last title winning season, or anything close to it. Nice to have 3 decent options for CM anyway but I can only see a lesser role for Carrick this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I know we need reinforcements in defence but if we are to compete with Chelsea and City domestically and eventually compete with Real and Bayern in Europe wont we need to have better players eventually in the positions we have already strengthened in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Blind scored tonight but still a loss for holland, they have been very poor lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hococop wrote: »
    Blind scored tonight but still a loss for holland, they have been very poor lately

alot of the top sides have struggled since the World Cup, Germany especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I am just hoping we get through this break injury free. If we can go on to beat Arsenal it would be terrific. Arsenal have been vulnerable defensively too this season, but I can see them working on it during during the break since it seems to be more about tactics than players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I am just hoping we get through this break injury free. If we can go on to beat Arsenal it would be terrific.

RVP and Carrick already injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

RVP and Carrick already injured.

Well ****....been away from the games this week ha

How bad are the injuries do you know? At least we should have the likes of Jones, Evans and Rafael back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hococop wrote: »

Deflected shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Defenders will likely be priority in January but hopefully Fiorentina continue poorly and we can entice them to cash in on Cuadrado in January

Reminds me of Valencia when he used to be good, but better

Or you know break the bank for Reus before his release clause kicks in during the summer, the Dortmund fans would turn on him big time if he left them in their current state though

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Defenders will likely be priority in January but hopefully Fiorentina continue poorly and we can entice them to cash in on Cuadrado in January

Or you know break the bank for Reus before his release clause kicks in during the summer, the Dortmund fans would turn on him big time if he left them in their current state though

Reus is Liverpool bound;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

john why wrote: »
    Reus is Liverpool bound;-)
    and I am the guardian of the galaxy... :pac:

Cuardado's dribbling is insane with very good ball control. IMO nothing like Valencia.

Also Barca were the other team who were interested, with them serving transfer ban we might have a good chance of signing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

The Express have us in for Varane for 19m in Jan, would be some deal, don't know what the journalist's been smoking but I'd like some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    The Express have us in for Varane for 19m in Jan, would be some deal, don't know what the journalist's been smoking but I'd like some!

Varane for 19m is quite simply ridiculous. He is already an incredible centre half and is still only 21. How Journalists get away with printing rubbish like that is astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Quandary wrote: »
    Varane for 19m is quite simply ridiculous. He is already an incredible centre half and is still only 21. How Journalists get away with printing rubbish like that is astounding.

varane at £19m, wheres that gif of take me money now......

Not going to happen
    1) Madrid won't sell him as he's probably the best young defender in the world
    2) He won't come to England
    3) Hypothetically if he would come to England he would want to play for Jose.
    4) Madrid would LOL and ROFL at an offer of £19m

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

If we are actually in for Varane I'm delighted. Pay whatever it takes. He's a brilliant player and can only improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Vlaar's agent also hinting of him moving from Villa,I reckon that's a more realistic prospect than Varane,but you never know.Who'd have thought a few months ago that ADM would leave Madrid for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Us, and a few others, are being linked with Laporte. I reckon he would be a lot more gettable than Varane, and while he isn't as good right now he has similar potential imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I'd honestly pay the same money that we would need to shed out for Reus, Vidal or who ever.

He is like a mature young Rio Ferdinand.
    He would be our centre half for years and years. Of Jose and the press are too be believed he almost joined before Real stole the deal on us.

He would probably be on the top of my list of potential signings.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I'd honestly pay the same money that we would need to shed out for Reus, Vidal or who ever.

He is like a mature young Rio Ferdinand.
    He would be our centre half for years and years. Of Jose and the press are too be believed he almost joined before Real stole the deal on us.

He would probably be on the top of my list of potential signings.
    conflicting reports over what happened there.

From the time, and since, I have read on fanzines and their sites that we went for Jones after it became apparent Varane was off to Real. I think i read he said himself a month or so back that he signed for Real because we signed Jones.

conflicting reports over what happened there.

From the time, and since, I have read on fanzines and their sites that we went for Jones after it became apparent Varane was off to Real. I think i read he said himself a month or so back that he signed for Real because we signed Jones.

I think he said he signed for Madrid because of Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If Madrid are mad enough to sell Varane he is more likely to join Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Chelsea are about to post profits of £20M I read earlier today (albeit excluding the summer expenditure of £70M) so although it is a huge difference than when they freely lost money it still means they have plenty of money to spend next summer. Especially if they do win the league as expected and progress well in the CL.

It's great United are finally beginning to openly challenge the Chelsea's of this world for signatures, however without CL next season I fear in a straight choice players will choose London over Manchester.

I had read other sources this morning but i had a quick google and I found this link:

http://soccerlens.com/chelsea-finance-2014-blues-post-320m-record-turnover/155343/

Chelsea turned a corner a few years ago and have had a very good business plan since in fairness to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

They are a bit like us and the glazers in a way.

People thought roman would pull out and they would be bankrupt, people thought the glazers will suck all the money and bankrupt us.

Both posting unreal profits.

Just goes to show how many people are stupid and cluless when it comes to these medium/long term business plans.
    Pseudo economists and financiers waving their scarfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

People thought roman would pull out and they would be bankrupt, people thought the glazers will suck all the money and bankrupt us.

Just goes to show how many people are stupid and cluless when it comes to these medium/long term business plans.

The 'I told you so' brigade. They will let everybody know when they're right but it will be forgotten when they're wrong.
    It's a win, win situation.

The 'I told you so' brigade. They will let everybody know when they're right but it will be forgotten when they're wrong.
    It's a win, win situation.

Me or them?

I remember getting invites to a group on Facebook from at least 3 Liverpool fans, The Man United going bust party... :pac:

• Advertisement

Me or them?

Not you ya little gowl!!!

People HOPED Roman would pull out - but there was never any real indication that he would and he had put cash into the club in case he did leave - so they would have been relatively safe.

The Glazers DID suck craps loads of money out - never a penny in, and the money they have taken out is larger than they have allowed the club to spend on tranfers. They took a risky gamble - a gamble the United board at the time of the takeover said was too risky, and they have got away with it. Fergie keeping us successful on a relatively limited budget in comparison to what it could/should have been and clubs like Chelsea/City - as well as the TV deals defying logic and the global downturn have won the Glazers their bet. Just becuase it worked doesn't mean it wasn't a big risk at the time.

If we had suffered a Moyes season in 08 or 09, things could be VASTLY different now.

I can assure you I am not a gowl. We have hashed out th glazer debate here loads, it's nice they have been proved wrong.

I wouldn't begrudge the glazers for making money as long as the club is making money and spending 100 million.

Someone will come along now and post a graphic about our net or gross spend since they took over and before they took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

18 year old Josh Doughty is to sign professional terms,joining from Real Salt Lake.

Let's agree to disagree, Mitch. I couldn't be arsed with debate.

I'll trust you have the relevant experience and expertise of taking over companies.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    18 year old Josh Doughty is to sign professional terms,joining from Real Salt Lake.

Sounds Irish, can we claim him?!

Hardly unreal profits. Twenty million having spent what? A billion? Terrible return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hardly unreal profits. Twenty million having spent what? A billion? Terrible return.

We made a profit 3 years ago too, a rather hefty 1.4million :D

Let the good times roll.

Yeah I posted it an probably shouldn't have included an adjective. Profit is profit.
    Maybe it's unrealised profit and they will invest it back.
    But yeah, still a bit mental a club like Chelsea are now making profit, I'm gonna guess this is profit after all their plans for investment and buildings have been financed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If we had suffered a Moyes season in 08 or 09, things could be VASTLY different now.

Its an interesting hypothetical, if United had went into an Arsenal style drought in the years since the takeover what level would the debt be now?

And make no mistake it could have happened, there are fine margins in many of these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yeah I posted it an probably shouldn't have included an adjective. Profit is profit.
    Maybe it's unrealised profit and they will invest it back.
    But yeah, still a bit mental a club like Chelsea are now making profit, I'm gonna guess this is profit after all their plans for investment and buildings have been financed?

Alot of it is down to new TV deals, selling of players, the turnover.

We're up a small bit from the sells of Lukaku, Luiz, Mata, Ba when compared to what we brought in, Cesc, Costa, Luis, Zouma, Remy.

Also wages have decreased with Lamps, Eto'o, Torres, Cole all leaving, which is the guts of a reported 400K - ish a week off the wage bill.

Depending on this seasons potential success and the transfer markets we'll probably make a small profit next year too but its impossible to guess with 2 transfer windows.

Its an interesting hypothetical, if United had went into an Arsenal style drought in the years since the takeover what level would the debt be now?

And make no mistake it could have happened, there are fine margins in many of these things.

We'd still have the TV money from the PL - and if it was an ARsenal type performance rather than Moyes type performance we'd have still had the CL money, so it wouldn't have been doomed as such. However, I would question whether we could have got close to the commercial income of the last couple of years had we not won anything or competed properly in the last 6 years. There is already talk of adidas getting annoyed at United's performance, and that is (apparently) part of the argument Woodward used in the last month of the window to get the purse strings loosened a bit.

I would say the net debt would be higher, and our payments on it would be higher (prob closer to the 70+million we had been paying rather than the 20million or so we are paying now). It is possible the PL and CL money would have covered it well enough, but would have really impacted our ability to compete for and sign players.

Josh Doughty @joshdoughtyy
    Man United medical ☑️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Wonderkid PASSES Manchester United medical ahead of imminent switch

CANADIAN midfielder Josh Doughty has revealed that he has passed a medical ahead of a switch to Manchester United.

Manchester United close to wonderkid signing Josh Doughty has passed a medical at Louis van Gaal's Manchester United
    The 17-year-old former Real Salt Lake starlet is reportedly set to sign a contract with the Red Devils to join their youth academy.

Doughty confirmed on Twitter that he he had passed a medical, saying: "Man United medical".

The Canadian youth international will join Dutch defender Timothy Fosu-Mensah, who agreed a move to United in september, in the club's development squad.

Louis van Gaal has handed a number of youth players a chance in United's first team this season including Paddy McNair, Tyler Blackett and James Wilson.

The Dutch is also keen on 15-year-old Norwegian wonderkid Martin Odegaard.

Woo a midfielder.

Liverpool seem to have odegaard signed. Would be nice to sign him instead of them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement