Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

So the Mirror are saying Moyes wants to bring A.Young to Sociedad in January, pls be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/15/adrian-doherty-manchester-united-class-of-92
    The chances are you might never have heard of Adrian Doherty, let alone remember him play football. Yet if you had seen him, it is also fair to say you might never have forgotten what it was like when he had a ball at his feet. Doherty is the player nobody mentions when they talk of that group at Manchester United who eventually became known as the class of 92. He was on the opposite wing to Ryan Giggs and for a while Alex Ferguson and his coaching staff wondered whether he was actually the better player. “One of the fastest wingers many people have ever seen,” according to Tony Park, co-author of Sons of United, a history of the club’s youth team. “The United scouts said he ‘could catch pigeons’ he was that quick.”

Oliver Kay put a link to this article on Facebook yesterday. He included this comment as well:
    For nearly four years, I've been quietly working on a book about Adrian Doherty, a former Manchester United prodigy who was considered by many to be the equal of his team-mate Ryan Giggs. Sadly, Adrian suffered a serious knee injury just as he was closing in on his first-team debut and didn't recover. Tragically, he was fatally injured in an accident when he was 26. It sounds like a horrific story, but in many ways, it's a wonderfully uplifting one. He was an amazing character and an extremely gifted poet and writer as well as footballer. Along with his lovely family, I was planning to keep the whole project secret until publication, but my good friend (and cursed rival) Danny Taylor has written a column about Adrian in today's Observer, so I'm pleased to share that here - and while I'm at it, I'll tell you to watch this space for more information on the book, which will be published by Quercus next year. I hope it will serve as a long-overdue tribute to a lost talent. Rest in peace, Adrian.

https://www.facebook.com/OliverKayTimes/posts/837743849610894

I've read the article and I'm very interested in the idea of the book. I quite like these kind of stories.

Has anyone ever heard of Adrian Doherty?

EDIT: This guy has.
    I was coach with Moorfield boys football club in Derry in 1987, where Adrian was playing for the under 14 team.

I recommended him to the N.Ireland scout for Man Utd and he went over for a trial. After 15 minutes of the trail match Alex Ferguson telephoned his Dad to ask if Adrian would sign for the club.

He went over to the club at 16 and played in the youth and reserve team with Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, and Gary Neville. He was ahead of Giggs to make his first team debut, but was injured during a training match, and never played at the top level again.

Adrian was the best young player that i have ever seen in Ireland in over 30 years of coaching and scouting.

http://www.mattbradleysoccerscout.com/adrian-doherty---a-tribute.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

For what its worth I feel, and have felt, that there is really not that much between Rafael, Zabaleta and Coleman, any of them in your team and you will be doing well. Where Rafa falls down is his fitness issues. That is the only reason I would think about trading him for anyone else, its a big season for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Back to more United talk is it expected that Jones, Evans, Falcao and Rafael are all going to be fit by next weekend?

Jones, Falcao and Rafael will be fit, only Rafael has a chance of starting though i'd say. The others have been out too long to be put straight back in to the starting line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Reports from Spain saying that De Gea's injury isn't that bad, still with the Spain squad and could play against Germany and be fit for Arsenal at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I'm fairness, how fit does a keeper have to be?
    Off training for a few days to reduce swelling in his hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Angel Di Maria has revealed that Paris Saint-Germain's spending restrictions prevented him moving to France rather than Manchester United last summer.

Di Maria was the subject of significant interest from the Ligue 1 champions before eventually moving to Old Trafford in a British-record £59.7 million deal, and the Argentine has subsequently made an impressive start to his Premier League career.

PSG were fined £50m and issued with a spending restriction last summer for breaching Uefa's Financial Fair Play regulations, and Di Maria believes this was the key reason why they had to pull out of the race to sign him.

“PSG, I think they had a money problem and they couldn’t buy players," the Argentine said in an interview with Telefoot. "This is the main reason I didn’t go there. Playing in the French league would please a lot of players.

"Now I’m in the English league. But you never know, there is a lot of movements in football. You can never predict where you’re going to play.

"There were a lot of clubs interested in me. A lot really. But Manchester United appeared and didn’t go away. They absolutely wanted me and it happened.”

Di Maria admits the possibility of moving to the French capital intrigued him, and has not ruled out the prospect of joining PSG in the future.

"It could have been a good experience for me to go to Paris," he added. “I know I’m still young, perhaps I’ll go to PSG one day. I don’t know how it will all end."

Real Madrid's decision to sell Di Maria after an impressive season and decisive display in the Champions League final caused consternation among many, but the Argentine insists he is happy with the way things have worked out.

“It’s a different style of football here at Manchester United," he continued. "I’m very happy. I don’t have regrets about leaving Real Madrid. I think I won everything I wanted with Real: La Liga, the Champions League and the Copa Del Rey."

Only in the door and he's starting.

Where the interview from? (I see now, definitely wouldn't be bothered by it so :))

I wouldn't read too much in to it anyway, international weeks tend to throw up a lot of ****e and its not like we didn't hear it all over the summer anyway

ps its not even like the report is saying he is not happy at the club or any other bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

J. Marston wrote: »
    Only in the door and he's starting.

Good riddance. He's muck anyway! Never rated him!
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm fairness, how fit does a keeper have to be?
    Off training for a few days to reduce swelling in his hand?

At the highest level?
    As fit as any other player to be fair.

Good riddance. He's muck anyway! Never rated him!
    :pac::pac::pac:

Hes basically a left footed Antonio Valencia sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Blind has just gone off injured

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Blind has just gone off injured

Ah FFS :mad:

Did it look bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

F**king internationals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just seen it on sky sports news. Bad enough that he went off but he wasn't on a stretcher.

Edit: It was his knee that he was holding and then limping off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

beno619 wrote: »
    So basically it's just opinion which makes this back and forward pointless.

I'm not trying to convince you about Coleman vs Rafael. I've been arguing against your claims that it's impossible to judge an Everton player as better than a United starter because of the team he plays for and that the stats tell you who is the better defender.
    beno619 wrote: »
    Not when the argument being put forward that one player is a walking red card, defenders will always pick up yellows.

The argument was that Coleman is "less likely to get sent off", not that Raf is a "walking red card". Rafael picks up more cards and that is a mark against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Pro. F wrote: »
    That's something that is recorded. Rafael has more cards than Coleman in all three seasons available on Squawka.

This, and having a pair of eyes in your head. Raf has many virtues being disciplined is not one of them. Personally anytime I watch him I feel he s liable to get booked or give silly frees away.

Raf's reputation far outweighs his actual liability level though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lads

Fellaini is an elbowing scumbag

Just clocked Joe Allen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Trilla wrote: »
    Lads

Just clocked Joe Allen

I'm thinking about both players height and without seeing it coming to the conclusion that probably had something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Lads

Just clocked Joe Allen

was pretty shocking alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Haven't seen it, but he does have an awful tendency to throw elbows during matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Im gonna throw it out there, it doesn't look intentional to me there. Not like the one from the City game last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Same looks accidental, doesn't look like he is looking at Allen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yeah Allen ran into him

Don't mind that stuff from Fellaini. We need someone in our team who isn't a fúcking wimp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't mind that stuff from Fellaini. We need someone in our team who isn't a fúcking wimp.

I'd agree. We need a bit of steel.

That said, that looks like Allen ran full-whack into him, and Allen only goes up to Fel's elbow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It looks to me that he didnt mean it at first but that follow through was poor dirt

Fellaini is 6' 4, Allen is 5' 6 so when they have a coming together Allen's head is right around Fellainis forearms. Very easy for Allen to connect with an elbow or forearm when competing for the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It was a height related accident, Fellaini wasn't looking at him and Allen was running at full pelt, the palm to the face afterwards is questionable but there's no real doubt that he didn't mean to elbow him.

Looked sore though, how was Allen afterwards, did he play on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ffs, was hardly intentional, even if he did mean to follow through fair play. We need players like that rather than tc23 being afraid to tackle.

He can use his height and strength to his advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Blind possibly out for the season. Some craic.

Neil Custis ‏@ncustisTheSun 14m14 minutes ago

More bad news for Manchester United as Daley Blind could be out for the season after damaging ligaments in his knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Blind out for season? Feck sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

wtf really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

baz2009 wrote: »
    Blind possibly out for the season. Some craic.

Neil Custis ‏@ncustisTheSun 14m14 minutes ago

More bad news for Manchester United as Daley Blind could be out for the season after damaging ligaments in his knee.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad: Oh for fcuk sake - it just gets fcuking better and better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

@UtdReport: Daley Blind will be out for 4-6 weeks with torn knee ligaments. [nos via @elko_b]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The follow through was dirt lads. And saying "we need that"... yep every team needs some thugs. Sure get Joey Barton in.

• Advertisement

Not even annoyed. You just expect someone to get hurt every few days now.
    Pyjamarama wrote: »
    The follow through was dirt lads. And saying "we need that"... yep every team needs some thugs. Sure get Joey Barton in.

Follow through? Where?

Yeah, you're just looking for something to be outraged at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Not even annoyed. You just expect someone to get hurt every few days now.
    We have no luck at all - its actually ridiculous at this stage... its almost funny.

The injury situation just gets worse every year. It's a fcuking joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Quandary wrote: »
    Ah FFS :mad:

Did it look bad?

Suspected Knee Ligament damage

Lads

Just clocked Joe Allen

From what I saw there was **** all wrong with what he did

Oh yeah, third injury of the international break tonight, ligament damage ffs

Its ****ing ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kryogen wrote: »
    From what I saw there was **** all wrong with what he did

I'll look at it again but when I saw it live it look like he disguised it to look unintentional but followed through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭bennyl10

@UtdReport: Daley Blind will be out for 4-6 weeks with torn knee ligaments. [nos via @elko_b]

Telegraph saying could be entire season..

6 weeks is a positive.. Jaysus theres something i never thought id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Pyjamarama wrote: »

What follow through? It was nothing. Every team does need a bit of steel, United have lacked any in the middle of the park since Keane.

I'll look at it again but when I saw it live it look like he disguised it to look unintentional but followed through

Just looked like Allen ran full pelt into him and he is unfortunate he comes up to his arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement