Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No wonder he has a scowl on his face non stop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Meh.. married millionaire footballer does something wrong. Great to see the guardians of morality 'The Sun' prioritising it over everything else wrong in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Really nice to see a mid table club who are finished being able to get a squad player on the main page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The Sun's front page has pictures of Valencia with the headline that he's been texting "filthy nude pics to two women".

So that's what they call front page material? Bloody hell! I love to see the end of that gutter paper some day

I believe he shares it with a Conservative politician who is guilty of a similar offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Tyler Blackett to get a new contract for £50k. Madness considering only played 6 games for Man U. This sums young English players who get too much too soon.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/man-united-to-give-tyler-blackett-incredible-2400-pay-rise-30654805.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Gael85 wrote: »
    Tyler Blackett to get a new contract for £50k. Madness considering only played 6 games for Man U. This sums young English players who get too much too soon.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/man-united-to-give-tyler-blackett-incredible-2400-pay-rise-30654805.html

Could go either way. I think he's looked promising but is 50k practical at this stage of his career?

Personally, if I was in late teens and offered 50k a week, I wouldn't have much motivation to keep pushing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It seems VG has picked Blackett as an important part of our defence since day one. He has been brought in and has done well. He was on £2k a week and £50k is around the average for the defenders we have so they must have decided to pay him according to that.

I know he's young and only starting his career with us but I imagine he feels he should be paid the same amount as other players he is playing beside. I don't think they would want to treat him poorly considering he's been at the club all his career (youth) and we are quite strapped at CB atm.

And the end of the day though wages really concern the board and shareholders more than the fans. If we have the money to pay the wages and it keeps them here and gets us results so be it.

EDIT: Just on the too much too soon thing, really depends on the persons character, being a local lad who has come up through the ranks I imagine he wants to go down in United history so hopefully money and fame won't go to his head and he can have a successful career with us. Only time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

There's no way that figure is true. This thread is ridiculous, the Daily Mail is treated as gospel if they report on something negative about the club yet if they post an article saying something positive it is picked apart and called unreliable. It's a worthless rag, simple as.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

What's equally ridiculous is that the people who are moaning about Blackett (allegedly) getting £50k a week are the same people who would be moaning about the club not doing enough if Blackett was allowed to leave a la Pogba and then blossomed.

It's not our money and there's bucketloads of it. Who cares whether Tyler Blackett gets 2, 20 or 50 grand a week? The guy has played in the majority of this season's games for the world's biggest club...I reckon his true value in today's market is a lot closer to 50k a week than 2k.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

IF 50k is true, it doesn't bother me that much. It's pretty much the going rate for teenagers in the top teams around the first team.

If it's true. I'd imagine it might be one of those "potentially 50k" deals where chunks of it is based on appearances, preformances, etc, as opposed to a base 50k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

IF 50k is true, it doesn't bother me that much. It's pretty much the going rate for teenagers in the top teams around the first team.

If it's true. I'd imagine it might be one of those "potentially 50k" deals where chunks of it is based on appearances, preformances, etc, as opposed to a base 50k.

This was how Cleverley's deal was set up apparently. Makes the most sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

More rubbish from the mail .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Sun's front page has pictures of Valencia with the headline that he's been texting "filthy nude pics to two women".

Surely he would have taken the safe option and sent them to Rafael:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Valencia in front page of The Sun apparently doing the dirt on his wife.

Did not read it or could not care but did laugh that in pics he could not even give hint of smile.

Did not read it or could not care but did laugh that in pics he could not even give hint of smile.

I heard he stopped and turned around at the last second.Once more a lack of delivery into the box from him.

3025-if-you-know-what-i-mean.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I think we should trust LVG when it comes to his handling of the young players like Blackett. The man has a colossal amount of experience developing the younger lads and if he feels Blackett is good enough to warrant the reported wages then fair enough IMO.

That is of course if the DM article is actually true :)

Vidal to United rumours persist, he was fined £78,400 by his club for an altercation on a night out and wants out now according to Corriere dello Sport.
    They say United during the summer were offering £47 million for Vidal, but the chances of deal would be increased if we sold them Mata.

I am resigned to the likelihood that Juan Manual Mata Garcia will be sold. He is one of my favourite players.

I'll be devastated when Mata goes :(

I could just about tolerate Kagawa, but Mata too? :(

• Advertisement

I'll be devastated when Mata goes :(

I could just about tolerate Kagawa, but Mata too? :(

Hopefully idle talk to fill column inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

This is just newspaper garbage, Mata isn't leaving.

I do hope you're right.

But I'm coming to terms with it now so I'm prepared or presently surprised. I think that short of an inury to Falcao and RVP, Rooney is going to be playing #10 for the majority of games, and Mata is going to be relegated to the bench. The reality is that he moved away from Chelsea under similar circumstances (manager wouldn't give him games) and think that he's not going to be happy warming the bench for the rest of the season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I like Mata too (who doesn't?) but would it really be a huge loss to the team/squad that LVG is building here? With Falcao/RVP our striker options and Wilson waiting in the wings it looks as if Rooney is going to be our permanent no.10. We also have Di Maria and Herrara playing a more central role in midfield and Januzaj also hovering about who is destined to become a no.10 too, and let's be honest looks like he will become a better player than Mata.

The situation is a kind of similar to the Welbeck debacle imo. An excellent player but perhaps hasn't delivered as much as was expected and has better options ahead of him (Rooney in Mata's case) and an excellent young player coming through who is happy to sit on the bench for a while (Januzaj). The difference being of course that Welbeck is still young and has potential and was played out of position constantly.

Aye and the fact that Rooney is Captain and in Mata's position makes it difficult to push him out of the team. To get Mata games then it has got to be Rooney & Falcoa/RVP up top with Mata in behind but LVG seems to play RVP more.

K4t wrote: »
    The situation is a kind of similar to the Welbeck debacle imo. An excellent player but perhaps hasn't delivered as much as was expected and has better options ahead of him (Rooney in Mata's case) and an excellent young player coming through who is happy to sit on the bench for a while (Januzaj). The difference being of course that Welbeck is still young and has potential and was played out of position constantly.

This, I guess, is the problem. I'd personally think Mata is the better #10 out of the two....

• Advertisement

The solution is simple - Get rid of Van Persie.

Too much talk about Rooney, Mata, etc.

Van Persie's the one who's been sh1te for a long time.

Rooney and Falcao up front with Mata supplying the ammo. Perfect.

The solution is simple - Get rid of Van Persie.

Too much talk about Rooney, Mata, etc.

Van Persie's the one who's been sh1te for a long time.

Rooney and Falcao up front with Mata supplying the ammo. Perfect.
    This will be difficult to do as RVP is Dutch. I agree he hasn't found his form but getting rid of him would be mad in my opinion as when he finds his form he is undroppable. He is 31 now so I doubt he'll be playing every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

This, I guess, is the problem. I'd personally think Mata is the better #10 out of the two....
    You may be right but Rooney is Van Gaal's boy, in the same way Oscar was Mourinho's. Mata is a more natural no.10 than Rooney but Rooney is a better player and more important to this Utd team that Van Gaal is building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ugh I hate all this ****e talk, Van persie is dutch so cant be touched, rooney is van gaals boy.

What complete ****e, maybe its because they are our 2 best players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

csi-miami-caruso23.jpg

I guess now she knows how it feels...

CSIMiamiS4P204.jpg_30112007

...to get doubled crossed.

csi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ugh I hate all this ****e talk, Van persie is dutch so cant be touched, rooney is van gaals boy.

They are two of our best but obviously with only three able to start from Falcao, Rooney, RVP and Mata opinions will vary.

Based on recent performances you would think Mata in 10 and Rooney up front instead of RVP.

But saying that of course managers have their favourites. We don't know who VG favourites are mind you but I wouldnt exactly call it ****e talk, a managers relationship with a player can have a huge say on whether he will start or not.

The Express going with the story of a £4 million bid for Vlaar in January.Vlaar would be a great signing,fast,strong & EPL experience.

Italian press saying Vidal is available for under £28 million in January also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its the sort of special selection dilemma you get when you repeatedly buy players you didn't actually need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »
    The Express going with the story of a £4 million bid for Vlaar in January.Vlaar would be a great signing,fast,strong & EPL experience.

If true, its the type of transfer that winds me up.

If LVG is interested in Vlaar at all, then why not go for him in the summer when we clearly needed somebody like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Rooney is not a great number 10, I really don't see where the idea is coming from that he is.

He drops way too deep, always running towards the ball, doesn't have the required discipline, Close control and first touch aren't good enough, he doesn't exactly have quick feet or much trickery about him, people seem to think cause he can ping a ball 40-50 yards diagonally that he is a great passer - he certainly isn't in tight spaces.

He is an out and out Striker, as showed in 2009/2010 when he scored 34 goals that season. Maybe in a few years he can prolong his career by dropping a bit deeper, but to suggest right now that he is a great No.10 is just ridiculous, he's played less than 40 games there in the league for United over the course of 3 Seasons (including the start of this one)

If true, its the type of transfer that winds me up.

If LVG is interested in Vlaar at all, then why not go for him in the summer when we clearly needed somebody like that?

I reckon Villa said no & will need to get something for him now he's almost out of contract.LVG was left with what was touted as the next big things in English football (Jones & Smalling) along with Evans who can be good if he gets a run of games.The usual curse of glass players has hit our defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why are footballers always seem as dim? is just because they didnt go to college?
    I reckon they are like everyone who didnt go to college, pretty normal, but with lots of money to do what they want and learn what they want,so essentially, probably smarter than their peers.

You dont really hear that about GAA players or rugby players.
    just in reply to this, as I haven't been in in days, ive seen it in a few places that people at United have said Jones us a lovely fella but utterly daft, one of this dimmest footballers they gave had at United. So I'm not saying Jones is dim because of tackles he makes or how he sounds, but because I have read him described as such.

Footballers are probably seen as dim because typically they leave school early and typically they're from less well off backgrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

So rvp and rooney are our best players? Jesus I hope dimaria and Falcao don't read boards.ie :-))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Rooney is not a great number 10, I really don't see where the idea is coming from that he is.

He drops way too deep, always running towards the ball, doesn't have the required discipline, Close control and first touch aren't good enough, he doesn't exactly have quick feet or much trickery about him, people seem to think cause he can ping a ball 40-50 yards diagonally that he is a great passer - he certainly isn't in tight spaces.

He is an out and out Striker, as showed in 2009/2010 when he scored 34 goals that season. Maybe in a few years he can prolong his career by dropping a bit deeper, but to suggest right now that he is a great No.10 is just ridiculous, he's played less than 40 games there in the league for United over the course of 3 Seasons (including the start of this one)

Yeah but he's better than Mata defensively which is obviously the most important trait required when playing the #10 role :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

beno619 wrote: »
    Yeah but he's better than Mata defensively which is obviously the most important trait required when playing the #10 role :rolleyes:

That would be a viable point if he was sticking close to opposition deep lying playmakers(Gerrard/Pirlo/Alonso/etc), but he doesn't even have the discipline for that, he'll unnecessarily chase the ball down to the corner flag, leaving him woefully out of position for any counter attack.

(not directed at you, I get you're being sarcastic :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

That would be a viable point if he was sticking close to opposition deep lying playmakers(Gerrard/Pirlo/Alonso/etc), but he doesn't even have the discipline for that, he'll unnecessarily chase the ball down to the corner flag, leaving him woefully out of position for any counter attack.

(not directed at you, I get you're being sarcastic :P)

I think you will find he drops so deep because of having such a poor midfield to provide service.

Mata and Kagawa natural 10's also were forced to play way too deep and suffered.

For someone who is supposedly woefully out of position for counter's his goal and assist ratio is phenomenal. Can only imagine what it would be if he didn't track back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

From ManUtd.com
    Elsewhere, Reds winger Antonio Valencia was not named in the starting team or on the bench for Ecuador’s 1-1 draw with USA in Connecticut. A reason for his absence has not been reported.

I think we all know the reason

Mars Bar wrote: »
    From ManUtd.com

I think we all know the reason

The left side of the bed got sick of seeing no action and shopped him to The Sun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I reckon LVG will right pissed off about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Is there anything to the rumours that de Gea is keen on moving to Real Madrid who want him to replace Casillas? I've been panicked since I read this - de Gea is fantastic.

Valmont wrote: »
    Is there anything to the rumours that de Gea is keen on moving to Real Madrid who want him to replace Casillas? I've been panicked since I read this - de Gea is fantastic.
    Real Madrid can kindly get lost 'cause they are not taking our Dave away :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

De Gea starts for Spain tonight, about time Del Bosque dropped Casillas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Johner wrote: »
    De Gea starts for Spain tonight, about time Del Bosque dropped Casillas.

Deserves his start.... Has been quality for the last while

Is the Spain match on tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Rooney with a peach of a free kick for England. Keeper scuppered the save though.

Is the Spain game on TV?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement