Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Absolutely gutted that Blind is out. He's probably been one of our most consistent performers this season, and against arsenal he could help us slow things down and keep the ball. Huge loss, especially when our replacements are either unfit, coming back from injury, or Anderson.
    Still, if we had De Gea in goal, and a midfield of herrera, fellaini, di maria and januzaij/mata, with rooney and rvp/falcao up front, we'd cause them problems going forward and I could see us getting a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Trilla wrote: »
    There's your better team :p
    2hgv289.jpg

Head (Raf), shoulders (Rojo), knees (Lingard) and toes (Evans)
    Knees (Blind )and toes (Falcao)

I dread the injuries to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Roy Keane had a chat with the Irish media

Great dialogue this…..Classic Keane

Reporter: “I expect to get the stare but I’m going to ask it anyway … Martin has been asked about distractions. Has he had enough of those distractions?”

Roy Keane: “What are you asking me for? What are you talking about? What distractions? Can I do anything about the Celtic stuff?”

Reporter: “Yeah, Celtic and Villa.”

Keane: “Can I do anything about them things that come up? You’re making out I’m bringing all these distractions on.”

Reporter: “So they just happen, they’re just coincidences?”

Keane: “Well, if a club approaches me, these things just happen, yeah. How is the book….you think the book’s a distraction to a group of professional people? Do me a favour.”

Keane: “You all sit there and think I’ve got to answer to everything? Who in the hell do you think you are? I’ve got to answer to you? I answer to the FAI and Martin (O’Neill). And if we don’t get the right results, I’ll be gone and you won’t lose a minute’s sleep, so don’t worry about distractions. The things you write about are distractions.”

Reporter: “It was an obvious thing to write about. There was an incident, so we had to write about it … think (Martin O’Neill) has had enough of these (distractions).”

Keane: “Go and ask him. Go and see him in the lobby. You’re not brave enough to ask him?”

Reporter: “I am brave enough to ask him.”

Second reporter: “You said you wouldn’t talk about Frank Gillespie (the man allegedly involved in an incident with Keane at the Irish team hotel last week) and what happened the other night. Have you anything to say about it?”

Keane: “Frank? You know him?”

Second reporter: “Yes.”

Keane: “Of course you do. You know him well. You know Mick McCarthy well, don’t you? You know Frank well, don’t you?”

Second reporter: “Do you want to say anything about the other night?”

Keane doesn’t respond. He gets up and leaves the room. As he does, the two reporters thank him.

He pauses briefly and says: “‘For what?”

First reporter: “For your time.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Roy Keane had a chat with the Irish media

Great dialogue this…..Classic Keane

Love this man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Didn't know Carrick was injured, hard to keep track

At least Mike Dean is refereeing, he hates Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Didn't know Carrick was injured, hard to keep track

At least Mike Dean is refereeing, he hates Arsenal

Easier to remember who isn't injured at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Any word on how bad the Blind injury is?

madcabbage wrote: »
    Any word on how bad the Blind injury is?

Their is apparently fluid or swelling on the knee that they need to wait for it to go down before doing the scan, MCL is anything from 2 weeks to months if its a bad tear, depends on the grade, hopefully its just a strain and not an actual tear, they guessed at 4-6 weeks last night with basically no information, hoep they right though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

https://twitter.com/UtdReport/status/534409889469464576

Quotes doing the rounds, hope they're true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Those DDG comments and no new injury today makes this a great day. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Those DDG comments and no new injury today makes this a great day. ;)

How about this as a new ticker banner for the Stretford End?
    1mCc4eT.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

sky88 wrote: »
    before the international break i really thought wed beat arsenal in a tight game but after the latest injuries its hard to see keeping arsenals attack out.
    Don't worry, they have Danny Welbeck up front, he wasn't good enough for Manchester United and will never be of good enough quality.

Sanchez could pose problems if given space but there's no other Arsenal players really firing on all cylinders or even close to be honest, if you exclude Welbeck, but he's no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

K4t wrote: »
    Don't worry, they have Danny Welbeck up front, he wasn't good enough for Manchester United and will never be of good enough quality.

Sanchez could pose problems if given space but there's no other Arsenal players really firing on all cylinders or even close to be honest, if you exclude Welbeck, but he's no good.

Are you being sarcastic? You're being sarcastic. Stop it you. I can't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

K4t wrote: »

For some reason I can see welbeck scoring against us

Hococop wrote: »

K4t is Danny Welbeck by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hococop wrote: »

Reason is our backline is to shreds and he's decent

K4t is Danny Welbeck by the way.
    I laughed.
    Trilla wrote: »
    Reason is our backline is to shreds and he's decent
    He's more than decent but will have to score a hattrick to receive any praise from some Utd fans.

Welbeck has more affection for Utd than any of our current squad or management team apart from maybe Giggs. The club sold more than just a player when Welbeck left.

Affection and love dosent equal ability. It's all well and good but he wanted to leave his beloved club. Him running around the pitch preaching about the history and ethos of man utd isn't going to make him stop missing silly chances.

I like him a person but as a player he was never going to be our star.

Affection and love dosent equal ability. It's all well and good but he wanted to leave his beloved club. Him running around the pitch preaching about the history and ethos of man utd isn't going to make him stop missing silly chances.

I like him a person but as a player he was never going to be our star.
    Of course not, but there are those who maintain he had the ability, and obviously those who don't. But was he ever really given the chance to show it? Answer is no, no matter what way Van Gaal or some fans like to spin it.

He was consistently one of our better players through the good times with Fergie as a youngster and through the bad with Moyes, always improving and awaiting his chance. This current team always looked far better with him in the side too, even during this pre season. He left because he had to, nobody with real ambition and talent wants to sit on the bench, no matter how much they love a club. That would be irrational behaviour.

Yes. He left becuase he had ambition. He was behind Rooney, falcao, van persie.
    To a certain extent to Maria, mata. Possibly even jan.

Stop lamenting his loss, it's unfortunate. But the club has shown more ambition by leaving him go. He will be good enough for arsenal and fair play to him but I'm not angry or bitter at anyone for leaving him leave on his own accord.

• Advertisement

Yes. He left becuase he had ambition. He was behind Rooney, falcao, van persie.
    To a certain extent to Maria, mata. Possibly even jan.
    That's a long list of players you've mentioned, only one of whom has consistently played up front for us this season, and who has been a long way off his best form. Hardly surprising Welbeck was slightly disheartened to be told he was behind several of those plus Wilson.
    Stop lamenting his loss, it's unfortunate. But the club has shown more ambition by leaving him go. He will be good enough for arsenal and fair play to him but I'm not angry or bitter at anyone for leaving him leave on his own accord.
    And that is a long, long way down the list of words I would use to describe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Welbeck is a decent player and is more than capable of scoring against us at the weekend.
    I can hear the poxy gloating already, though I won't give two ......'s as long as we win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

He will be good enough for arsenal

Arsenal are a better side than Utd ,and he is flourishing having been given a chance there.

I am slightly bitter though as i have a score that Sterling would outscore him this season ,which looks a lost cause now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Think I said when we sold Welbeck that I expected Shane Long to be scoring at a similar rate in the league

I might not be too far off on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be bit more worried about that Sanchez fella myself.

If we are worried about what Welbeck can do we might as well stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Have to agree with kt4.

RVPs been largely underwhelming,Falcoa unfit and I don't think anyone in thier right mind would sanction his supposed £40m fee.

Selling Welbeck was a mistake no matter what way it's spun.

Ah here.
    You can't compare rvp and falcao to Danny.

This arguement is just stupid, if you can't see why he wanted to leave then it's pointless. It's just tedious and frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arsenal are a better side than Utd ,and he is flourishing having been given a chance there.

I am slightly bitter though as i have a score that Sterling would outscore him this season ,which looks a lost cause now

I wouldnt be lamenting Welbeck as Arsenals saviour just yet, hes only got 2 league goals for them.

Sanchez is carrying this Arsenal side right now. Also, Sterling has more league goals than Welbeck as it stands.

Welbeck is playing well for them, there is more to it then goals, he is important to how they attack and should not be underestimated in terms of the danger he poses to us. Sanchez is simply on fire right now and he can also hurt us, I am significantly less confident this week then I was last week with the latest injuries.

@ Gav, if its just league goals yeah, if its overall goals his bet could be in trouble

Arsenal fans think by and large that they got a bargain with him.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Welbeck is playing well for them.

The "ah come on now he's not doing that well" Welbeck brigade clearly aint watching the games. He's had some near misses and he's the best link up striker Arsenal have had in a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wouldnt be lamenting Welbeck as Arsenals saviour just yet, hes only got 2 league goals for them.

Sanchez is carrying this Arsenal side right now. Also, Sterling has more league goals than Welbeck as it stands.

Unfourtunately ,bet was made on all comps ,which was a good thing for me when bet was made as i was expecting him to remain a Utd player and have no european football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Welbeck is playing well for them, there is more to it then goals, he is important to how they attack and should not be underestimated in terms of the danger he poses to us. Sanchez is simply on fire right now and he can also hurt us, I am significantly less confident this week then I was last week with the latest injuries.

@ Gav, if its just league goals yeah, if its overall goals his bet could be in trouble

From my perspective, it's early days, but signs are promising. It's quite satisfying comparing him to Balotelli though, who cost the same.

greendom wrote: »
    From my perspective, it's early days, but signs are promising. It's quite satisfying comparing him to Balotelli though, who cost the same.

Its the sentiment I am getting from most Arsenal fans I talk to yeah, not so much the comparison, just the value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I really hope Falcao gets a good run of games now so we can shut the f*ck up about Danny Welbeck.

I really hope Falcao gets a good run of games now so we can shut the f*ck up about Danny Welbeck.

That would be fantastic alright.

His fitness is a concern at this point, the season is already nearly 1/3 of the way through.

Apparently he is going to be fit for the Arsenal game, not match sharp obivously but hopefully he will be playing at least some part anyway

• Advertisement

His fitness is a concern at this point, the season is already nearly 1/3 of the way through.

Apparently he is going to be fit for the Arsenal game, not match sharp obivously but hopefully he will be playing at least some part anyway

He wasn't match fit when he played for Monaco against us in the Summer friendly and he still managed to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya the overall goals stat could prove to be a sticking point, Welbeck will be playing through the middle for Arsenal and Sterling out wide for 'Pool, if both play 40 games a season, you'd throw your money on the CF getting more goals the majority of the time.
    greendom wrote: »

Oh ya, but TBH, Balotelli was always going to be a huge risk, hes not very prolific, his best league campaign seen him get 14 goals, thats not exactly great stats for a CF, if I had to pick between the two I'd go for Welbeck over Balotelli and its not just down to goals, Welbecks attitude and how he approachs the game, compared to Balotelli, is chalk and chesse but thats a debate for another day.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya the overall goals stat could prove to be a sticking point, Welbeck will be playing through the middle for Arsenal and Sterling out wide for 'Pool, if both play 40 games a season, you'd throw your money on the CF getting more goals the majority of the time.

Oh ya, but TBH, Balotelli was always going to be a huge risk, hes not very prolific, his best league campaign seen him get 14 goals, thats not exactly great stats for a CF, if I had to pick between the two I'd go for Welbeck over Balotelli and its not just down to goals, Welbecks attitude and how he approachs the game, compared to Balotelli, is chalk and chesse but thats a debate for another day.

Exactly, back in the Summer when there was talk of him potentially coming to Arsenal, I said that I didn't want him, not so much for his bouts of craziness, but for his generally negativity and the frequency in which he turns off in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I really hope Falcao gets a good run of games plays a game now so we can shut the f*ck up about Danny Welbeck.

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How are the injuries looking for this weekend? Any news on blind?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

He returned

B2qjTReCIAI9Jcl.jpg

He returned

MEHMEH vs VIVARONALDO

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

How are the injuries looking for this weekend? Any news on blind?

According to Ogden Jones, Evans, Falcao are fit, Carrick should be and DDG may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hopefully De Gea is able to tape his dislocated finger to another one and wear a 4 finger glove like Neuer & Casillas have done before.

Would like to have one of the older cbs playing. They have been training with dizzy Welbz for a few years and know how he likes to play.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Hopefully De Gea is able to tape his dislocated finger to another one and wear a 4 finger glove like Neuer & Casillas have done before.

Arsenal should start with Podolski in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Financial report is out today - it is interesting to see the true impact of non-qualification for the CL for this season.

@tariqpanja
    Man Utd spent 71.3m pounds on players in Q1 (window), compared to 33.5m pounds the years earlier. Sold 15.4m pounds

@sistoney67
    Even commercial revenue down 5.2% to £56.8. There was a clause in Nike contract if they miss out on Champs League.

@ManUtdMEN
    Manchester United revenues fall on back of failure to qualify for Champions League

@DavidLynchMEN
    #MUFC revenues a guide to why CL money is vital...
    Total (down 9.9%)
    Broadcasting (down 13%)
    Matchday (down 21.8%)
    Commercial (down 5.2%)

___

http://ir.manutd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=133303&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1990560
    Manchester United plc 2015 First Quarter Results
    TOTAL REVENUES OF £88.7 MILLION
    EBITDA OF £20.3 MILLION
    PROFIT OF £8.9 MILLION
    MANCHESTER, England--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 18, 2014-- Manchester United (NYSE:MANU; the “Company” and the “Group”) – one of the most popular and successful sports teams in the world - today announced financial results for the 2015 fiscal first quarter ended 30 September 2014.

Highlights
    During the first quarter we signed the largest kit manufacturer sponsorship deal in sports with adidas - £750m over 10 years with retail, e-commerce and licensing reverting to Manchester United from 01 August 2015.
    Five additional sponsorship deals announced in the quarter – Nissin and Abengoa (global), Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan - AFFA (regional), Maybank and Gloops (renewals of regional).
    Signed a number of leading players including Blind, Di Maria, Rojo, and Falcao on loan after signing Herrera and Shaw earlier in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Would like to have one of the older cbs playing. They have been training with dizzy Welbz for a few years and know how he likes to play.

Generally speaking if you've a forward and back who know each other its the attacker that benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Those finacial figures make for very grim and worrying reading. another year or two out of the CL (very possible with the way things are going) and the s*it will really hit the fan.

no panic buttons will be hit just yet, but if we are in 6th or 7th in February, then i think things will start to become uncomfortable for a few.

Goes to show how good of a decision it was just to take him on loan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement